new neil young album with crazy horse

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

new neil young album with crazy horse

Post by bunnyben »

Neil Young is set to release a new album with his band Crazy Horse.

As well as recently finishing work on their first joint album since 2003's 'Greendale', Young has revealed that they are currently at work on a further record. Young revealed the news over the weekend, according to a report from Music News. No release date for either record has been announced.

Canadian singer songwriter Young, who released his last solo album 'Le Noise' in 2010, recently told MTV News that there were no contemporary musical "geniuses". He said: "I'm finding that I have a little bit of trouble with the quality of the sound of music today. I don't like it. It just makes me angry. Not the quality of the music, but we're in the 21st century and we have the worst sound that we've ever had. It's worse than a 78 [rpm record]. Where are our geniuses? What happened?"

Young made sure to say that though he hated the way modern music was recorded, he did not hate the new bands who made it, and talked up Mumford and Sons and My Morning Jacket as two of his favourite new bands. He said: "Mumford And Sons and My Morning Jacket are great bands. I love them both and I know them well. I feel good about saying that."
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Shinesalight
Known user

Re: new neil young album with crazy horse

Post by Shinesalight »

Neil Young's a Mumford & Sons fan..... WTF??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :? :roll:

Not sure about a new album with Crazy Horse... Ragged Glory is great but Greendale was a total waste of time. Though the thought of him touring with them still excites me.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

It has to be better than his latest run of poor records (excluding Le Noise).

I thought Greendale was great, a few tracks don't do so much for me but there are some really great songs on it. And while it was CrazyHorse, it was a threepiece, minus Frank Sampedro.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I don't think I've ever heard Greendale. I did see him on that tour, which was odd because the record wasn't even out at that point, so everyone was hearing the songs for the first time.

Le Noise is cool. I like that record. Fork In The Road, based on the few tracks I heard, is awful. All this been said, I'm looking forward to hearing whatever he releases next. You have to respect Neil Young, even if his output is a bit erratic these days.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Shinesalight wrote:Neil Young's a Mumford & Sons fan..... WTF??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :? :roll:
Auld Shakey, ever the contrarian... :wink:

His quote about the actual sound on modern records - sounds a bit like what his pal Dylan said a few years ago:
Bob Dylan wrote:"I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really. You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them. There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like … static… Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."
I assume he/they were talking about super-compressed stuff, loudness-for-the-sake of it and that. Although you could argue that Modern Times is a good example of this, for as amazing as it is, it's definitely a very 'hot' master.

Still... look forward to whatever NY brings. Like Warmth I loved Le Noise, and I think even on his less-acclaimed records there is always some good moments on there. Maybe he should do that kinda jagged & delayed electric landscape thing with the Crazy Horse rhythm section.

But then again, whatever one expects Neil Young to do is the last thing he will do (and should do), and that's just as it should be.
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Prairie Wind had some brilliant songs on it, as did Chrome Dreams II. Fork in the Road had maybe 2 good songs, which is not acceptable (Light a Candle was pretty great though)... Le Noise is an interesting listen with mostly good songs, but I can't listen to it often as a full piece.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

BzaInSpace wrote: . Although you could argue that Modern Times is a good example of this, for as amazing as it is, it's definitely a very 'hot' master.
what do you mean by that? is there a demo floating around? i love that album- one of my favorite dylan records
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote: . Although you could argue that Modern Times is a good example of this, for as amazing as it is, it's definitely a very 'hot' master.
what do you mean by that? is there a demo floating around? i love that album- one of my favorite dylan records
apparently the vinyl version is mastered much nicer.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I did a rip of my vinyl copy of Modern Times for someone on this forum. I could do another download link if anyone is interested. I've never heard the cd version, but the mastering on the vinyl version sounds good to my ears.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

TheWarmth wrote:I did a rip of my vinyl copy of Modern Times for someone on this forum. I could do another download link if anyone is interested. I've never heard the cd version, but the mastering on the vinyl version sounds good to my ears.
o yes please!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

seems to be a binary file. what's that mean?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Uggg ... Sendspace. The binary thing is some bullshit scam. Click cancel or ignore on that and the real link will be below it.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

it's working now, thank you very much! :D
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Thanks for this, TheWarmth. I believe I was the one for whom you did the transfer before.

The album is much better in that form. I stood in line the evening of its release to buy the deluxe edition (which was just a DVD of some irrelevant videos), so it was especially disappointing for the mastering to be so poor. I'd expect that on a Bruno Mars album or something but Dylan records are supposed to be more like reading a book. The album had become almost unlistenable to me, as it would always give me a headache.

Now Modern Times has re-earned its spot among my favorite Dylan records. His best album since World Gone Wrong and best album of original material since Slow Train Coming.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

not a fan of time out of mind?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah we've been over this before, but I definitely think Time Out of Mind was his last great album and a masterpiece in my opinion.

Modern Times is just okay, solid with couple of great songs. the over compressed mastering is definitely a minus point.
Together Through Life was mastered better- looks like its going back the other way (i think the trend for overall albums is the same- not like they could get any more compressed.. unless all albums eventually get mastered like the Iggy version of Raw Power!)

Neil Young's mastering is actually always very good. some of the older CDs can sound thin but the remasters are great. the CD version of On The Beach sounds wonderful.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:yeah we've been over this before, but I definitely think Time Out of Mind was his last great album and a masterpiece in my opinion.

Modern Times is just okay, solid with couple of great songs. the over compressed mastering is definitely a minus point.
Together Through Life was mastered better- looks like its going back the other way (i
time out of mind and modern times are masterpieces- together i find it hard to differentiate between that cd sound and christmas in the heart

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... ums-451056
BugTomek
New user

Post by BugTomek »

Check www.neilyoung.com, they've posted 38 audio of fresh Young and Crazy Horse's jam.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

BugTomek wrote:Check http://www.neilyoung.com, they've posted 38 audio of fresh Young and Crazy Horse's jam.
^^^^ I'm going to bump this.

For some reason I missed this post the first time around or maybe I just couldn't find the video on the site. But, a friend sent this video to me last night and I was floored.

Here is the official link. Listen to this...it's absolutely gorgeous. When 'Cortez' ultimately arrives it is perfect! Great recording.

http://www.neilyoung.com/crazyhorsevideo.html
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

I'm a little disappointed to hear about this...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... h-20120319

The last track won't be played much in my house!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Can't comment on the last song but, a couple of these tunes were staples in the 60's with a variety of bands. 'Wayfaring Stranger' and 'High Flying Bird' immediately come to mind. I can think of some absolutely killer acid folk versions of both these tunes. And of course, Zeppelin did a pretty great version of 'Gallows Pole'. I'm a little concerned about 'Oh Susannah', 'She'll be Coming Around The Mountain' and 'This Land Is Your Land', though. The thoughts of campfires, primary school recess and playgrounds come to mind! Hopefully Neil and the Horse will amp these up and make them fresh again.

All of this said, I haven't bought a new Neil studio album in years. That jam though that I posted the link to is pretty fucking sick!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

When I read the news about this LP, I was definitely disappointed. I can't imagine "Oh Susannah" preformed by NY & CH floating my boat.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

wow Neil really does do whatever he wants doesn't he. Interesting concept (a lot of his recent albums seem to have a concept or hook of sorts) but I would have preferred some more Crazy Horse epic jams myself. or how cool would an album thats one long Crazy Horse 45 min jam be? :)
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Liner notes for album:

http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org ... young.html

One example:

Travel On

“Gotta Travel On”, adapted by Paul Clayton and others from a British folk tune, was recorded by Billy Grammer in 1958. His version is an American classic. The song tells of a man who has to keep moving for a variety of reasons, all common with American life. The Americana arrangement is based on Billy Grammer’s version with some lyric changes.

Here's the Billy Grammer version...I think Neil and Crazy Horse will rock it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9skKTcw ... r_embedded

As for some of the other choices (Oh Suzannah, Clementine, This Land Is Your Land), I'm a bit hesitant to embrace until I actually hear them.
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
Holden
Known user

Post by Holden »

Two things:
Firstly, hmv.com sold me the 2lp vinyl for £9 on Friday. On Sunday it was listed as £44. Really hoping they honour this.
Secondly, I've just heard the first track Oh Susannah on Spotify. It's good. Really good. Be excited.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here's the video for "Oh, Susannah". It's actually a pretty cool version and sounds nothing like the sing-along campfire song we all know. Check it:

http://pitchfork.com/news/46365-watch-n ... -susannah/
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

The Grauniad is streaming the album this week

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... -americana
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

rameses wrote:The Grauniad is streaming the album this week

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... -americana
private eye reader? :wink:
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Listened to the stream last night, not as bad as I thought it'd be. Some good stuff on it but I suppose it is a CrazyHorse LP.

Still unsure whether to go ahead and buy it, the vinyl is an insane price. He's consistent with his outrageous vinyl prices...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I thought "Oh, Susannah" was pretty good, but the lyrics to "Clementine" sound ridiculous over that badass Crazy Horse grind. I'm going to pass on this album. Hopefully, he'll do a NY&CH album of new, original material.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I've listened a couple of times and some of the tracks, Oh Susannah and Clementine are ok. It sounds like it was probably more fun for NY to record than for us to listen to.

God Save The Queen is dreadful.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

redcloud wrote:
BugTomek wrote:Check http://www.neilyoung.com, they've posted 38 audio of fresh Young and Crazy Horse's jam.
Here is the official link. Listen to this...it's absolutely gorgeous. When 'Cortez' ultimately arrives it is perfect! Great recording.

http://www.neilyoung.com/crazyhorsevideo.html
Thanks for this, I never would have seen unless it had of been posted here. Beautiful.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots