Sweet Heart Sweet Light

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

Re: Sweet Heart Sweet Light

Post by bunnyben »

synthiA wrote: I still think comparing SHSL to WLWH is lazy and while I can see the comparison to Loaded, Loaded was hardly driving.

yeah i still don't get that really. to me it sounds like a poppier version of spz. the velvets sound like no one else which is why they're so great, and anyway why would i want an album that sounds like the velvets when i have all of the velvets albums, and all of lou's albums. cale said lou has been ripping himself off ever since the first two/three velvet records
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

No sniff of any news about a track being debuted on 6 Music or anything yet?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

bunnyben wrote:do you have a link to the interview? sounds interesting
Sorry I don't. I can't remember if its something I read or heard during the time of its re-release. If it comes to me I'll post it up here.

Has anyone actually heard it yet then?
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

simonkeeping wrote:
bunnyben wrote:do you have a link to the interview? sounds interesting
Sorry I don't. I can't remember if its something I read or heard during the time of its re-release. If it comes to me I'll post it up here.

Has anyone actually heard it yet then?
no worries, thanks anyway :D
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Odd that we haven't seen any artwork, info about a single, details about packaging, etc. Methinks there might be a bit more of a delay than the last announcement admitted.

I didn't particularly like the packaging for the last album, so I eventually gave up on the long-delayed deluxe CD edition and went for the standard one. This time around I might invest in the vinyl. I don't even have a turntable, but the vinyl release of Lazer Guided Melodies is one of my prize possessions. Wish Pure Phase would get a reissue.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Pure Phase has been reissued on vinyl. It's not hard to find.

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Phase-Spirit ... 095&sr=8-1

I am also a bit flummoxed by the lack of details for the new album. All we have is the tracklisting. Surely, it has to be released before the U.S. tour.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think you're right, usually we would have had the album art by now surely?

reviews should be coming out over the next couple of weeks too, if a date near to the original one, still stands..
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

allmusic is currently posting THIS (!!!!) as the cover. i can't imagine that'd really be it, but it IS the same font that the band has used previously...

http://allmusic.com/album/sweet-heart-s ... t-r2372750
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Weird! It comes up on this Hungarian (?) site too: http://neonmusic.pararadio.hu/ Do a search for Spiritualized - Sweet Heart Sweet Light and it comes up, which leads me to believe it's not just an AllMusic mistake.

A bit of a head-scratcher to be honest - seems a bit "jokey" for Jason. Having said that, doesn't he often sign stuff with a ?

I wonder if it's a Farrow design? The simplicity of it would lead me to believe so, along with the use of Helvetica.

I'm perplexed. Surely it's part of a greater theme/motif for the album if it is the cover.
Last edited by warmgun. on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

cduniverse is showing that as the cover as well. i guess it kind of makes me think of a really, really simple drawing of a molecular structure...? that's the best i've got on this one...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Sweet Heart Sweet Light by Spiritualized (Audio CD - 2012) - Import
Buy new: £9.59

Available for pre-order. This item will be released on 10 April 2012.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Interesting. Hu has been used to symbolize the "human element" and my knee jerk reaction is the 2nd "h" stands for heart. Then we have a ? mark to the nth degree . . . . surrounded by a stop sign that is green . . .
I think I feel it coming on
theagonaltrace
New user

Post by theagonaltrace »

This may have something to do with the cover

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huh_(god)

hope it works, trying to do this from my phone

Basically huh is ancient Egyptian for god.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

tangential, but this made me laugh - http://huhcorp.com/index.shtml
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

theagonaltrace wrote:This may have something to do with the cover

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huh_(god)

hope it works, trying to do this from my phone

Basically huh is ancient Egyptian for god.
"In Egyptian mythology, Huh (also Heh, Hah, Hauh, Huah, Hahuh) was the deification of eternity in the Ogdoad, his name itself meaning endlessness. As a concept, he was androgynous, his female form being known as Hauhet, which is simply the feminine form of his name. In other words, Ḥeḥ was the ancient Egyptian divine personification of "infinity", in the temporal aspect of 'eternity'.

Like the other concepts in the Ogdoad, his male form was often depicted as a frog, or a frog-headed human, and his female form as a snake or snake-headed human. The other common representation depicts him crouching, holding a palm stem in each hand (or just one), sometimes with a palm stem in his hair, as palm stems represented long life to the Egyptians, the years being represented by notches on it. Depictions of this form also had a shen ring at the base of each palm stem, which represented infinity. Depictions of Huh were also used in hieroglyphs to represent one million, which was essentially considered equivalent to infinity in Egyptian mathematics. Thus this deity is also known as the 'god of millions of years'.
Origins and Mythology

The primary meaning of the term Ḥeḥ was 'millions'; subsequently, a personification of Ḥeḥ was adopted as the Egyptian god of infinity. Together with his female counterpart Ḥauḥet, Ḥeḥ represented a member of the Ogdoad of eight primeval deities whose worship was centred at Hermopolis Magna.
↑Jump back a section
Forms and Iconography

The god Ḥeḥ was usually depicted anthropomorphically, as in the hieroglyphic character, as a male figure with divine beard and lappet wig. Normally kneeling (one knee raised), the god typically holds in each hand a notched palm branch. (These were employed in the temples for ceremonial time-keeping, which use explains the use of the palm branch as the hieroglyphic symbol for rnp.t, "year"). Occasionally, an additional palm branch is worn on the god's head.
↑Jump back a section
Cult and Worship

The personified, somewhat abstract god of eternity Ḥeḥ possessed no known cult centre or sanctuary; rather, his veneration revolved around symbolism and personal belief. The god's image and its iconographical elements reflected the wish for 'millions of years' of life or rule; as such, the figure of Ḥeḥ finds frequent representation in amulets, prestige items and royal iconography from the late Old Kingdom period onwards.
↑Jump back a section"

not to be mistaken with 'hu'

"In Egyptian mythology, Hu (ḥw) is the deification of the first word, the word of creation, that Atum was said to have exclaimed upon ejaculating or, alternatively, his self-castration, in his masturbatory act of creating the Ennead.
Hu and Renenutet

Hu is mentioned already in the Old Kingdom Pyramid texts (PT 251, PT 697) as companion of the deceased pharaoh. Together with Sia, he was depicted in the retinue of Thot, with whom he was also occasionally identified.

In the Middle Kingdom, all gods participated in Hu and Sia, and were associated with Ptah who created the universe by uttering the word of creation. Hu was depicted in human shape, as a falcon, or as a man with a ram's head.

In the New Kingdom, both Hu and Sia together with Heke, Irer and Sedjem were members of the fourteen creative powers of Amun-Ra. By the time of Ptolemaic Egypt, Hu had merged with Shu (air)."
Last edited by bunnyben on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

purespace wrote:Interesting. Hu has been used to symbolize the "human element" and my knee jerk reaction is the 2nd "h" stands for heart. Then we have a ? mark to the nth degree . . . . surrounded by a stop sign that is green . . .
it's obviously h for heroin and the green thing symbolises love and a syringe...obviously... :roll: 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

i'm gonna be sorely disappointed if that monstrosity is the album cover!!..

maybe it's just an extract or a flavour of the final design.. I think a similar thing happened with A&E- some sites had just like the font up there until the full design came through
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

"huh?" indeed
somakoma
Known user

Post by somakoma »

the green stop sign mentioned by purespace seems right..

"you technically have a choice but we will punish you unless you choose to do exactly what we want you to"

donaldduckdemocracy, the 21st century illusion of free will, freedom etc

also making me think of Neu! and early kraftwerk.. would look better using green as a fill colour
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Hmmm, not sure I like this artwork much. It reminds me a bit of the last New Order album, where due to a late change in artwork, they simply stuck No in a Saville-chosen font on the cover. Not quite as arresting an image as the cover of LGM or LICD is it?
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Yeah, not sure I like it. It looks kinda jokey and doesn't really go with the songs in any way at all... I like the Egyptian explanation, though.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I appreciate all of the mental effort that has been expended attempting to rationalize a decidedly poor album cover, but i hope it's a silly placeholder.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

olan wrote:Not quite as arresting an image as the cover of LGM or LICD is it?
LICD is a really weird cover.. i don't think i like it particularly

is there a story behind it?
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Kurious Oranj wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the woman on the cover is the artist's wife.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

dear boys and girls, it surely can' be the definitive cover, reminding the effort jason made in the past years to come up with a cover that collides the songs on the album well.
guess it's just a warmkeeper and way below j's standards!
it doesn't make any sense at all. personally I don't go for the egyptian story.
for some reason I expect something involving the sun or sunrays...
"Thank you"
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Apart from looking really cool, LICD is a study in the fact that the brain cannot take in embossed/sunken relief works of art. It transposes them into objects which appear 3D.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

jadams501 wrote:I appreciate all of the mental effort that has been expended attempting to rationalize a decidedly poor album cover, but i hope it's a silly placeholder.
What he said.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:
Kurious Oranj wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the woman on the cover is the artist's wife.
yeah, that's right. i like it. for some reason it seems to click (for me) with the more introverted lyrics and themes of one's place in life, which the album deals with.

i really hope that's not the new artwork. given the delay in both artwork and the final mix, I'm confident it's just a placeholder, as someone said. jason wants this album to be special, so presumably he is doing what he can to stop people from just downloading the album, and getting them to actually pay attention to the finished 'object' itself, the attention that's gone into the music and artwork. Of course i may be wrong, but everything (other than the picture itself) points to that being the case. Also, as someone mentioned, it doesnt fit with the songs at all!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Huh.

Post by BzaInSpace »

Cool (possible) cover - although I like this one even better: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QpnXjGcLfg0/T ... 00/huh.gif

The stuff about Ancient Egypt - you're kidding, right?
HUH? was a legendary being venerated in antiquity for being the 3-eyed god of long-delayed albums, sly drug references and bizarre sleeve-art...
O P 8
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i doubt it's the cover. i remember when the scream BF album was pre-sale, it had this super shitty cover. i mean really shitty. i think it's just a piss take because they don't want the real cover revealed yet

another reason i think it's bs, is because the kerning looks off to me, surely they would have kerned it properly!
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Just got back from The Men gig in Norwich. While there I read a small review of SHSL in that music paper The Stool Pigeon. Managed to misplace it on the way home though. Positive review but not much detail (and a blank square instead of the album cover).

As I said, not much detail other than Hey Jane is great, Too Late is basically a rewrite of Lord Let it Rain On Me, and Get What You Deserve being in a similar vein to Think I'm in Love I (referring to the call and answer style). Also commented about the last minute 'tweaking' meaning that the version they have isn't the final one.

Post by beaker73 »

Just popped up on pitchfork:
Spiritualized Share New Song and WTF Album Cover
http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45536-spi ... bum-cover/
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Wow..... That definitely sounds like it was recorded at home, is all I'm gonna say right now.
somakoma
Known user

Post by somakoma »

I like it more than I thought I would.. thank god

no more polish needed for me - not for this kind of style... but I would have liked louder drums and bass.. as always
JohnGris
Known user

Post by JohnGris »

I'm absolutely loving that new track!
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Any news yet on the limited edition formats whether it be vinyl or CD? There's always one with Spiritualized and given what's come before 3D artwork, luminous sleeves, pill boxes and the wait for this record, I'm hoping for something special....
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Pre-order cd here for $13.15 on Amazon (USA):
http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Heart-Light ... 821&sr=1-1

And cd (£9.99) and vinyl (£14.99) on Domino (UK) here:
http://www.dominorecordco.com/uk/albums ... eet-light/

Domino (USA) has no listing as far as I can tell.
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

A chemist must have designed the cover. The green symbol is chemical shorthand for cyclooctane http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclooctane.
The type used in the middle is the classical font used for the periodic table and the Huh? in the middle reflects the naming conventions for the extremely unstable and short-lived heavier elements (for instance, Uuh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uuh is element number 116). The superscripted question mark simply reflects the uncertainty of the main oxidation state of these elements. :D

Better living through chemistry!
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Jasonsmith wrote:A chemist must have designed the cover. The green symbol is chemical shorthand for cyclooctane http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclooctane.
The type used in the middle is the classical font used for the periodic table and the Huh? in the middle reflects the naming conventions for the extremely unstable and short-lived heavier elements (for instance, Uuh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uuh is element number 116). The superscripted question mark simply reflects the uncertainty of the main oxidation state of these elements. :D

Better living through chemistry!
Huh?

I'm a chemist and that explanation, while very imaginative, is quite a stretch of the imagination. What's the significance of cyclooctane? Or Ununhexium? Maybe Jason would be more modern and use IUPAC terminology!

You did make me laugh though. I'm sure all will be revealed in good time.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Doesn't the placement of the "?" look like the trademark Spz used before?
hairy
Known user

Post by hairy »

I am surprised there is no limited release of the LP or CD. There always has been in the past. Do you think it will announced nearer the time?
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

hairy wrote:I am surprised there is no limited release of the LP or CD. There always has been in the past. Do you think it will announced nearer the time?
I think there's a coloured vinyl exclusively released by independent record shops.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i downloaded it from amazon and it sounds so much better than when i streamed it. 79p for a shy 9 min track! bargin!
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

mkb wrote:
hairy wrote:I am surprised there is no limited release of the LP or CD. There always has been in the past. Do you think it will announced nearer the time?
I think there's a coloured vinyl exclusively released by independent record shops.
where did you hear this mate? always look forward to the special editions of Spz releases, will be a shame if its just a basic cd and LP
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Check the Rough Trade website for details...
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

PopeJez wrote:Check the Rough Trade website for details...
thanks mate :)
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Will the vinyl be blue or green, perhaps octagonal?

I see Amazon currently have the CD on pre-sale for the bargain price of £17.18
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I just pre-ordered the colored vinyl & hey jane 7" through the Rough Trade site. I was going to order direct from Double Six but it notes "not available for US customers". Fat Possum only seems to have the CD pre-order up even though they list LP as a format.
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Minky wrote:I just pre-ordered the colored vinyl & hey jane 7" through the Rough Trade site. I was going to order direct from Double Six but it notes "not available for US customers". Fat Possum only seems to have the CD pre-order up even though they list LP as a format.
Can you provide a direct link to the colored vinyl on Rough Trade please?
I've searched, and am coming up empty...my computer's in the slow process of dying, so maybe that's the problem.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Thanks Minky....mission accomplished!

I was able to get on the Rough Trade site earlier, but the search results were coming up empty...strange...maybe their site was having problems? I bought my green A&E vinyl there several years ago, and it was delivered all the way to California in pristine condition. Anyways, thanks again for the link!
hairy
Known user

Post by hairy »

mkb wrote:
I emailed Double Six and they have come back to me to tell me that my order there will be the coloured vinyl.

I'm relieved its not going to be some Record Store Day exclusive and I dont have to order from Rough Trade having had nothing but trouble with them in the past.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Does anyone know if they'll be LP's available in the states? Im hoping so (the blurb in Rough Trade says only available in independent record shops) as mail order isn't really an option for me as I'll be on the road.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

are the coloured ones really so rare? i've been into rough trade camden once and saw a&e green sat there- picked it up out of curiosity. it's at my parent's house somewhere...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

bunnyben wrote:are the coloured ones really so rare? i've been into rough trade camden once and saw a&e green sat there- picked it up out of curiosity. it's at my parent's house somewhere...
I'm guessing not. If you remember for A & E Rough Trade announced the '500 only' green vinyl copy but far more were pressed than that.
'Remember, change is not good'
hairy
Known user

Post by hairy »

Its going to be a double album pressed on white vinyl
Hi there,

Many thanks for your order. Just to keep you informed but this release will now be in-fact a DOUBLE album on coloured white vinyl!! To show the early bird really does get the worm you will receive this version still at the price you paid and not the now increased price of £19.99!

Again many thanks for your custom!

Best

Steve
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Many thanks for your custom

?
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

Yes I got that email too....

Double white vinyl - this just keeps getting better.

Listening to A&E for the millionth time and wondering if SHSL will better it. Actually I don't care, it'll be new and different so comparison is pointless.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Is the vinyl on offer on the Domino site the same as the coloured vinyl that Rough trade are offering? (i.e. are they both the double white vinyl versions?). :?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just preordered.

I've been listening to the RAH bootleg on the train for the past few days and I'm extremely impressed with several of the new songs. I'm glad I was there to witness it. Very excited for the upcoming tour.

Shaun, are you coming to San Diego?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

hairy wrote:Its going to be a double album pressed on white vinyl
Hi there,

Many thanks for your order. Just to keep you informed but this release will now be in-fact a DOUBLE album on coloured white vinyl!! To show the early bird really does get the worm you will receive this version still at the price you paid and not the now increased price of £19.99!

Again many thanks for your custom!

Best

Steve
Where did you order from? I just got an email from Rough Trade telling me that they've cancelled my order and that I have to re-order and pay the higher price. I want to tell them which store has been cool about this. Thanks!
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Ditto. Shocking email from Rough Trade vs good approach from I assume Double6?. If I now have to pay a higher price Rough Trade have lost my business.
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Same here...just received the same crappy email from Rough Trade... :evil:
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Same email - - I'm going to gamble on picking this up at the Detroit show
I think I feel it coming on
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Maybe if Rough Trade receives an email from each of us explaining that this other retailer was kind enough NOT to increase the price on those of us who already had our orders placed, they'll change their mind about it. Just need to know which retailer that was (that didn't increase the price).
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

it may have been Double6. The label. Which would explain this. They can afford to eat the 4 quid.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)