Sweet Heart Sweet Light

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Minky
Known user

Re: Sweet Heart Sweet Light

Post by Minky »

Exactly, and I don't see Rough Trade honoring this so I said fuck it and re- ordered.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Did your emails from Rough Trade come from someone named Will?
If so, I have emailed him. You all may want to as well.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yes, Will Burns.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

yeah, i got the same email today. i went ahead and re-ordered it. i expected something like this from them.
and yes, it was from a guy named will, so i might email as well.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Got the same email too. Haven't re-ordered yet, so i guess i should email Will as well.

Can't say i'm surprised. I'd been holding off buying from RT hoping it would turn up at Piccadilly or Norman but those two only had the cd on pre-order so eventually took the plunge with RT. I've never liked dealing with them though.
Last edited by sunray on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

I e-mailed this morning to confirm that it was the white vinyl double LP and Will Burns confirmed to say it was. No mention of a price increase (and just checked my e-mails). If they do I'll try to get it elsewhere and never shop there again.
Last edited by Broc on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

purespace wrote:Same email - - I'm going to gamble on picking this up at the Detroit show
Curious as to when Spiritualized actually sold any music at their gigs apart from that 7" way back when. I first saw them in1991 and i don't recall any records/cd's ever been sold at their concerts. I certainly think it's something they should do, though judging by their t-shirt prices over the years i shudder to think what they'd charge for some actual music.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

This is what is stated on the Rough Trade T&C page, looks like they can do what they like. I wonder will they increase the shipping charges for a double LP as well?

If an error is discovered in the price of the goods that you have ordered, we will inform you as soon as possible. In the event that you order an item and the price published on the website is incorrect for any reason, we will contact you to let you know the correct price and ask you whether you still wish us to fulfil your order at this price. We shall be under no obligation to fulfil an order for a product which was advertised at an incorrect price. We shall give you the option of confirming the order at the correct price or if you so choose, to cancel the order altogether. If you cancel and have already paid for the goods in the circumstances described in this clause, we shall refund the full amount in accordance with these Terms.

You shall be required to pay an additional charge for delivery, the amount of which shall vary according to the particular goods and the delivery method that you choose. The type of charge payable will appear on the Site.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Mark it down. There will be an increase in shipping too.
I ordered 3 copies of the LP and of the 7"(US message board members asked me to order for them too) and I am waiting to hear back from Will about how much the shipping will be.
If they were quoting on a single LP its got to increase just based on weight. No idea why this being a double Lp is some sort of revelation to Rough Trade or anyone else for that matter. Every other Spiritualized vinyl LP release is a double except FUI.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

This is getting more annoying by the minute. 20 GBP is pricey even for a double-LP. I just pre-ordered the new Monolake from Norman Records. Price? 15.49 GBP + 6.50 GBP shipping = 21.99 GBP for Gatefold 2x12" + CD.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Received an email from Will today saying the price has increased to £20 and that I would have to re-order.

So be it.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Broc wrote:This is what is stated on the Rough Trade T&C page, looks like they can do what they like. I wonder will they increase the shipping charges for a double LP as well?

If an error is discovered in the price of the goods that you have ordered, we will inform you as soon as possible. In the event that you order an item and the price published on the website is incorrect for any reason, we will contact you to let you know the correct price and ask you whether you still wish us to fulfil your order at this price. We shall be under no obligation to fulfil an order for a product which was advertised at an incorrect price. We shall give you the option of confirming the order at the correct price or if you so choose, to cancel the order altogether. If you cancel and have already paid for the goods in the circumstances described in this clause, we shall refund the full amount in accordance with these Terms.

You shall be required to pay an additional charge for delivery, the amount of which shall vary according to the particular goods and the delivery method that you choose. The type of charge payable will appear on the Site.
makes you realise just how good the likes of amazon are- if the list price is accidently £5 instead of 50 you only have to pay 5. also preorders are protected against price increases. i pre-ordered a book that was delayed and released a few months later at a higher price but i still only was charged my initial price. never liked rough trade- went into the shop once (when i got a&e) and it seemed like a 'hipster' paradise- i half expected the libertines to be working behind the counter with a half used cig hanging from a slack jaw...not my place i'm afraid
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

is there a special edition of slsh? amazon lists three prices- 17.06, 8.99 and for the 'import' 38.99...
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

bunnyben wrote: makes you realise just how good the likes of amazon are- if the list price is accidently £5 instead of 50 you only have to pay 5. also preorders are protected against price increases. i pre-ordered a book that was delayed and released a few months later at a higher price but i still only was charged my initial price. never liked rough trade- went into the shop once (when i got a&e) and it seemed like a 'hipster' paradise- i half expected the libertines to be working behind the counter with a half used cig hanging from a slack jaw...not my place i'm afraid
Absolutley. While I try my best to support small labels/record shops etc I have to order a lot online (being in Ireland). Amazon are always super with shipping charges, price guarantees and general customer service.

Only time I've been undercharged was with Randall Nieman from Fuxa/Mind Expansion for Spectrum's War Sucks 12" and on that occasion I volunteered to pay the extra $5, happy to help out with that one.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Don't know if this helps (or frankly will change) but here is a comparison of my new & canceled orders:

CANCELED

Qty Item format price
1 spiritualized sweet heart sweet light - pre-order LP 15.99
1 spiritualized hey jane - pre-order 7 4.99
Shipping: Royal Mail airmail 7.05
VAT Deducted: - 3.50
Total (before any discounts): 24.53

NEW

Qty Item format price
1 spiritualized sweet heart sweet light - pre-order LPx2 19.99
1 spiritualized hey jane - pre-order 7 4.99
Shipping: Royal Mail airmail 7.05
VAT Deducted: - 4.16
Total (before any discounts): 27.87

Also, I looked at the last time I bought a double vinyl release from Rough Trade and the shipping was 8.25.
Last edited by Minky on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

spzretent wrote:Every other Spiritualized vinyl LP release is a double except FUI.
"Amazing Grace" is a single vinyl release. everything else yes is a double exercise.
it's still a shame to change the valuation.
i was thinking that even if i want to call the conversation of format an amateurish act of trying to somehow run a recordlabel, then maybe this happened because Jase mixed together a final mix thats so long that it just did not fit on one single vinyl. all this mess because he extended tracks. lovely.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

To be fair to Rough Trade, it seems to have been an honest mistake, and they've alerted people to it well in advance of the release date - if people are unhappy with the new price, then there will be other places it can be ordered from.

It's much harder for a shop like that to be able to absorb any price increase caused by a mistake than it is for a giant like Amazon.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

veiko wrote:
spzretent wrote:Every other Spiritualized vinyl LP release is a double except FUI.
"Amazing Grace" is a single vinyl release. everything else yes is a double exercise.
i was thinking that even if i want to call the conversation of format an amateurish act of trying to somehow run a recordlabel, then maybe this happened because Jase mixed together a final mix thats so long that it just did not fit on one single vinyl. all this mess because he extended tracks. lovely.
The only vinyl version of Amazing Grace I have ever seen is the triple 12" box set.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Nope is single vinyl as well.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

spzretent wrote:
veiko wrote:
The only vinyl version of Amazing Grace I have ever seen is the triple 12" box set.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Records-/306/ ... 6.c0.m1538

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... inyl&ajr=0
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I didn't say it didn't exist.
I just said the only version I had ever seen was the 3x 12' version.
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

Let's hope that Rough Trade has learned to properly package their vinyl shipments. The last thing I ordered from them was A&E. The records were not removed from the sleeve and so tore right through the spine (I was not the only one who received this record in this condition). I emailed them about it and they were quick to respond that they would send me a new sleeve. 4 years later, I'm still waiting.

It might be worth requesting that they do this (not to have to tell them how to do their job or anything).
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

synthiA wrote:Let's hope that Rough Trade has learned to properly package their vinyl shipments. The last thing I ordered from them was A&E. The records were not removed from the sleeve and so tore right through the spine (I was not the only one who received this record in this condition). I emailed them about it and they were quick to respond that they would send me a new sleeve. 4 years later, I'm still waiting.

It might be worth requesting that they do this (not to have to tell them how to do their job or anything).
Ditto

I have not ordered anything from them since...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Double Six won't ship the LP version of SHSL to the US. Is Rough Trade my only option? Surely other retailers will get copies of the white vinyl to sell, right? I'd like to order it through Norman, as I have always had good experiences with them.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Did anyone else receive this email?
Dear customer,
We're really sorry to email regarding this, but there has been a change to this title that required us to contact you.
The LP is now a double LP, but has also gone up in price, so we have had to change the price on-line.

Due to the secure nature of our website, I can't actually adjust this on your existing orders, so we have had to cancel those and reluctantly
ask you to re-order, should you want the item at the higher price of £19.99

Below is the link to buy the new version.

http://www.roughtrade.com/site/shop_det ... sku=348926

Apologies again,
Will

I just want to make sure I'm getting spammed...........
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I got that exact email from Rough Trade.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Of those people who sent an email of complaint back to Rough Trade has anyone got a response? I've not heard anything from them yet.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

They are not apologizing.
For those in the US I now have 4 people in on our order. I will pm at least one more. The postage isn't that great of a break however the more LPs shipped together less chance of a nasty packaging surprise. The break is they are shipping insured instead regular airmail.
I just received an email from Rough Trade letting me know if we get a few more pre orders they will ship FEDEX in a well packed box. My guess is we need at least 2 or 3 more people in on this.
Then I have to split the order up and re-ship in proper lp mailer(US style).
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

From WIll at Rough Trade..

We have actually had to cancel the old orders and increase the price.
The band have increased it, so we have had to.
Regards,
Will

I wonder did the band really increase the price?
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

I re-ordered as they said they'd keep the shipping to Ireland the same (£4) which I appreciate and also..

The issue with the other vendor retaining the original price, is that they are the label itself (who have upped the price..!)
As they don't have to pay a distributor or any handling charge between themselves and the customer, they can afford to not increase the price...

We will be emailing all customers who ordered and re-ordered with us next week with a discount code on your next order by way of apology.

Seems fair enough I suppose.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have no problem with Rough Trade at all. Norman Records on the other hand I defintitely do and wont order anything from them. Only as a very last resort.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i love norman and rough trade, both top notch outfits
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

burningwheel wrote:i love norman and rough trade, both top notch outfits
I wanted to order something from Norman and asked if they deduct VAT. They said nope. You pay the price you see.
That, I think, is total bullshit.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Norman have always been fantastic for me. Every time I order it arrives within 3/4 days and is well packaged and they're always quick to respond. They're pretty much the cheapest option 90% of the time too. If they don't have something I've emailed and they've got hold of it for me. Great service. Rough Trade however... I don't like them at all. I remember going to the Jarvis cocker in store and the lp/cd you had to buy to get a wristband. The price of the product went down pretty dramatically once the in store had been and gone. Plus, they charge way too much for some stuff. WAYYYYYYY too much.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The VAT thing can be important. The shop I work in offers a VAT free service although it involves a litte complication on our part as well as our American customers. If some places can do it easily enough I don't see why all can't.

Having said that I have never known any US based mail order outlets sell anything with US tax deducted. But then I don't understand American tax which seems to be different in every state.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its completely different here(US). It is regulated by each State.
You should never, ever be charged sales tax. We dont even have to charge sales tax if it is shipping out the state let alone the country.
We dont have VAT. Just sales tax. For instance Michigan is 6%.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Its completely different here(US). It is regulated by each State.

For instance Michigan is 6%.
And Oregon has no sales tax (neither does Delaware).
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

spzretent wrote:They are not apologizing.
For those in the US I now have 4 people in on our order. I will pm at least one more. The postage isn't that great of a break however the more LPs shipped together less chance of a nasty packaging surprise. The break is they are shipping insured instead regular airmail.
I just received an email from Rough Trade letting me know if we get a few more pre orders they will ship FEDEX in a well packed box. My guess is we need at least 2 or 3 more people in on this.
Then I have to split the order up and re-ship in proper lp mailer(US style).
Hey Alan - I'd like to get in on this order if possible!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Does anyone know if the vinyl comes with a download code? I emailed Domino but haven't heard back yet.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

from my experience, all Domino (post-2010 or whatever) releases have a download code.

I must sat, Honest Jons records in London gave me a great first experience. I ordered 4 LPs on thursday night and the arrived in the pst this morning. Damon Albarn should have more record shops. I'm gonna relax with my Reggae for the day.
Ghost_World
Known user

Post by Ghost_World »

Going back a few pages here, I'm surprised so many of you are averse to the noise/improv parts on LAG. I know Cop Shoot Cop won't be everyone's cup of tea but the brooding start and then massive freakout of noise brings that album to such a perfect finish. Not to mention the sections of All Of My Thoughts, The Individual, and No God Only Religion. They perfectly give a dynamic between the calmer moments either side or during. The whole album is structured perfectly for it really, wouldn't change any of it.

But anyway. Liking this new single. Not the most Earth shattering track I've heard from them but still looking forward to the album and Manchester show.
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

Ghost_World wrote:Going back a few pages here, I'm surprised so many of you are averse to the noise/improv parts on LAG. I know Cop Shoot Cop won't be everyone's cup of tea but the brooding start and then massive freakout of noise brings that album to such a perfect finish. Not to mention the sections of All Of My Thoughts, The Individual, and No God Only Religion. They perfectly give a dynamic between the calmer moments either side or during. The whole album is structured perfectly for it really, wouldn't change any of it.
I second that emotion. CSC is one of my fave Spz songs but then so is Broken Heart. I can't imagine one without the other.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
somakoma
Known user

Post by somakoma »

agreed..

weird how some only seem to appreciate the pop/gospel/strings/whatever side of things..
who would have thought that 15-20 years ago?

the freakouts and the dreampop noise of the live LGM era was one of the reasons to why I became a big fan..
..and the heavy live freakouts around LAGWAFIS were great fun and confirmed that they weren´t just another entry on a list of pop/rock bands I liked.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I can only imagine what these songs are gonna sound like live(meaning live in person not on a live cdr). Allowed to "breath' on stage if you will.
Cant wait!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

been wondering what kinda setlist they'll do on this tour. since the album isn't actually out are they gonna play it in its entirety? or is it gonna be split between it & the back catalogue?

i gotta be honest & say i'd kinda prefer to get at least a smattering of the oldies. for 2 reasons: i wasn't overly fond of the new material when i last heard it; & i've missed the intensity of a full throttle Spz gig for a while & am doubtful i'd get that from an hour w/the new songs.

but at the same time it is nice to have something new so i dunno... it's hard to know what to want when you're spoilt for choice! isn't life great?! (sometimes)
what i really simply just want is for them to bring the ruckus. if they do that i'll be satisfied.
(& needs to be louder than A&E tour.)

& is it just the bassist that's changed in this line-up, yea??
gonna burn brightly
for a while
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

jack white wrote:been wondering what kinda setlist they'll do on this tour. since the album isn't actually out are they gonna play it in its entirety? or is it gonna be split between it & the back catalogue?
I bet it will be exactly like the Japan show: http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... 14&t=10667
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah i have the same feeling Kevin- mostly the new album, with just a smattering of oldies (and a rather idiosyncratic selection of oldies at that!)
hairy
Known user

Post by hairy »

TheWarmth wrote:
hairy wrote:Its going to be a double album pressed on white vinyl
Hi there,

Many thanks for your order. Just to keep you informed but this release will now be in-fact a DOUBLE album on coloured white vinyl!! To show the early bird really does get the worm you will receive this version still at the price you paid and not the now increased price of £19.99!

Again many thanks for your custom!

Best

Steve
Where did you order from? I just got an email from Rough Trade telling me that they've cancelled my order and that I have to re-order and pay the higher price. I want to tell them which store has been cool about this. Thanks!
Sorry for the late response. I ordered from Double6.

Never had anything but grief from Rough Trade. Double charging and not sending, over charging and not issuing credit, having to wait six months for something that they said was in stock. I avoid the site these days.

Best online small stores are Norman, What Records, Jumbo, Chemical Records, Juno and Boomkat. Then its either HMV as they a super cheap or Amazon.
t0kdag0n
Known user

Post by t0kdag0n »

I am guessing the Fat Possum pressing will be a single lp so instead of chancing it I went ahead and placed an order with RT. Will be at the Detroit show. Can't wait!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Got an email back from Domino yesterday informing me the vinyl will come with a download code.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Listening to 6music and he just confirmed that his daughter Poppy sings the verse she wrote on So Long, You Pretty Things....
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My local record store have promised me they will be stocking both the double white vinyl album and the Hey Jane 7" so I can at least save on postage costs (the next month or so looks like it might be a bit of a vinyl blow-out).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Any news of a Limited cd edion?
JohnGris
Known user

Post by JohnGris »

cantona wrote:Any news of a Limited cd edion?
It doesn't look like there will be one as of yet. None of the online stores suggest there may be a limited edition, with all of them only taking preorders for the the CD and vinyl.
mn_spi
Known user

Post by mn_spi »

Two extra tracks seem to be added for the Japanese edition.

1. Huh? (intro)
2. Hey Jane
3. Little Girl
4. Get What You Want
5. Too Late
6. Headin’ For The Top Now
7. Freedom
8. I Am What I Am
9. Mary
10. Life Is A Problem
11. So Long You Pretty Things
12. True Love Will Find You In The End (outtake) (Bonus track)
13. Huh? (outro) (Bonus track)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B9%E3%82 ... B006QCKMQI
JohnGris
Known user

Post by JohnGris »

mn_spi wrote:Two extra tracks seem to be added for the Japanese edition.
:( The Japanese market always get the best stuff, be it extra bonus tracks or just better packaging.
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

Bought. Yippee.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
mn_spi
Known user

Post by mn_spi »

JohnGris wrote: :( The Japanese market always get the best stuff, be it extra bonus tracks or just better packaging.
Yeah! Yeah!
However, I think that it is slightly expensive. :?
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

yeah, i was just about to place my order when i saw that the shipping cost to sweden would be approximately 37 US$, which i think is a little too much for a CD... :(
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

agh the completist in me does kinda want those two extra tracks. maybe they will crop up as B sides or on itunes at some point
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just had a very nice Japanese friend agree to send me a copy of the Japanese edition once he gets it.

Excited, but yes...very expensive, considering that I can preorder the US version for $10 US on Amazon.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

In this day and age, everything should just be made easily available for commercial purchase. If it's not for sale, it just encourages piracy.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, I don't understand why the Japanese market still gets discs with bonus tracks. I asked a friend in Japan to grab me one, too. Not sure if it'll be worth it just for the two extra tracks (short instrumentals, maybe?), but it'll be nice to have a cd copy, in any case.
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

Was at the Belfast gig last night. Before the gig, the warm DJ played the studio version on Mary, it sounded awesome.

After it he played Hey Little Girl. I haven't been a fan of that song but it was pretty good
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

How good is Heading For The Top? Been listening to the October boots in preparation for Dublin tonight and HFTT has now replaced Hey Jane as my favourite of the new material closely followed by I Am What I Am, can't wait to hear these later.

It also occurred to me that Freedom and Life Is A Problem would be great tunes if done by the Mary Chain, circa Stoned & Dethroned, or in the style of Never Understood off Munki, with William on vocals.