Sweet Heart Sweet Light

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

heisenberg
Known user

Re: Sweet Heart Sweet Light

Post by heisenberg »

Everett True - The Tom Green of the music industry. Hate the wanker.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

well I tried and I tried to resist, but I finally had to have a sneaky listen of the album after all the talk on here. :)

my opinion of the individual songs seem to be largely the same as when I heard them on the live bootlegs. Little Girl and Freedom, I were hoping to maybe have some extra fairy dust on them in the studio that would change my mind. but they are still both pretty bland. Freedom in particular is drippy as fuck.

However, don't pin me down as a ballad hater, far from it- Too Late is just glorious in my opinion. king of the ballads. it's lush but not too lush.

the very best songs are the ones that are not so easy to categorise. Get What You Deserve sounds yes, majestic, floating on those otherworldy strings. Heading For The Top is a fine slab of noise. and I Am What I Am sounding superb too, the horns are awesome.

So Long... hmm have never been a big fan of this song and the two best aspects of the live version are not on the studio version!!- firstly the big crescendo into the second part (the way it immediately goes into it just sounds clunky to me now); and also I loved the fact that the piano opening of the live version just sounded so damn lonesome.. with other instruments on it, it just doesn't have the same effect to me now

one thing that no one has mentioned is the Huh? intro.. I know its all of 2 minutes long but I think it's gorgeous.

I am also going to revoice the concerns about the production. this is obviously a danger of coming from the live versions first (the Leamington and RAH boots have been big part of my life the past few months) but the vocals do sound a bit too deadpan.. the live versions breathed more, some bits here seem to sound like all the air has been sucked out of them. A&E had similar issues. Jason can be a great sonic architect (those concerns are obviously offset by some of the wonderful production and arrangement touches you only get on the album) but sometimes he can mix the life out of things. however I will offer the caveat that obviously it's early days yet!! my ears are open

so mixed feelings from me initially. I do like the fact that the album is fairly varied, covering a lot of aspects of Jasons sound. and the best songs could be some of his best ever- Hey Jane is amazing.
scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

spzretent wrote:When was ET last relevant? 1993?
Everett True was a prick when he wrote for the NME and age doesn't seem to have diminished his prickishness - still desperately hanging around hipster kiddies and hoping some cool will rub off on him.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Probably still wearing flannel shirts too. Cuz you know he started grunge :?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
tied up
Known user

Post by tied up »

Only listened once, really like what I've heard so far. Get What You Deserve is immense. Is the intro taken from Life Is A Problem?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

scarecrowz wrote:
Everett True was a prick when he wrote for the NME and age doesn't seem to have diminished his prickishness - still desperately hanging around hipster kiddies and hoping some cool will rub off on him.
The NME? That paper was bad enough without him - I think you'll find ET wrote his particular slice of shite for Melody Maker when it was on the slide to shutdown. Once a cock always a cock as far as that guy is concerned.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

feckin steady guys ,its an obvious piece of barbed wire interweb trolling, wouldn`t dignify him with my outrage,if he and his protege got an axe to grind with the Spiritualized ,feck it ,let them gorge on it ,as others have said ,don`t think either of them even listened to it ,its the economics off the inter net,

while he`s acting like a bellend ,props where their due ,he wrote a fucking belting book on The Ramones ,Hey Ho,Lets Go,,never liked the cant when he wrote for MM ,all that I was their first with Grunge & I`m a second cousin once removed to the Cobains stuff was toe curling,

roll on Monday :D
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

clewsr wrote:If you are of a sensitive disposition look away now. Although it can't really be said to be a review of the album in any sensible way. A rant against the video, which I agree is unpleasant. Didn't Everett True introduce the Daniel Johnston show?

http://www.collapseboard.com/reviews/al ... at-possum/
I can't understand why someone wouldn't read a negative review.

I read this collapseboard review when it was linked on the Guardian website. I haven't heard any of the album apart form the Other Voices gig (which I thought was underwhelming) and the Dublin show (which was great) so can't really comment on the new stuff but I think the Hey Jane video is kind of repellant and I agree with some of the points made in relation to the video alone.

Saying that it's easy to ignore and looking forward to receiving the vinyl soon.
JohnGris
Known user

Post by JohnGris »

The full video for "Hey Jane" is being broadcast on Channel 4 Thursday 19th April at 1.25am.

Set your videos, HDRs, PVRs, whatever.
fullmetalpants
New user

Post by fullmetalpants »

No longer need I be tempted to listen to the stream. CD PURCHASED TODAY!

The neighbours must surely be sick of hearing So Long You Pretty Thing. The album's been played non stop today. Incredible.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Vinyl just been dropped off by the postie!!

Post by scarecrowz »

runcible wrote:
scarecrowz wrote:
The NME? That paper was bad enough without him - I think you'll find ET wrote his particular slice of shite for Melody Maker when it was on the slide to shutdown. Once a cock always a cock as far as that guy is concerned.
Yeah, the MM was where he made (up) his name, before that he wrote for the NME as... "The Legend"

There's really nothing I can add to that, the name choice speaks volumes :D
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Pretty gruesome pic of Jason on one sleeve, and a picture of a motorway (possibly related to the the amount of driving he was doing and referred to in the Guardian interview?)
Attachments
Photo 13-04-2012 10 11 23_2.jpg
Photo 13-04-2012 10 11 23_2.jpg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 10642 times

Post by cantona »

Can someone upload a photo of the cd version?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Picked my copy up from the store today, looking forward to getting home and listening to the LP. Don't finish work til 10, though...
RoboHobo
Known user

Post by RoboHobo »

It sounds like a few stores are already selling SHSL. What are my chances of going to my local indie this weekend and asking them to sell it to me? Am I right in thinking that stores will already have this in stock?

I am so excited about listening to this and have avoided the stream and downloads. It reminds me of the day I bought LAGWAFIS. If I recall correctly, Radiohead released OK Computer on the same day. I remember getting to the shop just before 9am and chatting to some Radiohead fans who were equally as excited as me waiting for the store to open. Good times. That's how I feel now. I can't wait the whole weekend.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Got home to find the vinyl waiting for me, result!

Im on track 4 and Im enjoying the content, but i think this is a bad pressing. It sounds like it's being played through an old tin box :( the treble is washy, distorted and extremely tiring on the ears. Gutted.

Hope Im just unlucky here.....
Fatah Ruark
Known user

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Vindaloo wrote:Got home to find the vinyl waiting for me, result!

Im on track 4 and Im enjoying the content, but i think this is a bad pressing. It sounds like it's being played through an old tin box :( the treble is washy, distorted and extremely tiring on the ears. Gutted.

Hope Im just unlucky here.....
From the download of the CD I heard I'm not surprised. It sounds pretty bad, especially compared to the rest of J's releases.

I just got the 7" in the mail today. Sounds slightly better, but still no up to snuff IMO.

I was thinking of ordering the UK version...but if it's sounds like crap I might as well just stick with the US version (which I'm sure won't sound any better).

WTF?
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Just got mine delivered by the postie. Got it direct from Domino and nicely packaged. There's a Huh? sticker too. Can't wait to give it a spin.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Fatah Ruark wrote:
From the download of the CD I heard I'm not surprised. It sounds pretty bad, especially compared to the rest of J's releases.

I just got the 7" in the mail today. Sounds slightly better, but still no up to snuff IMO.

I was thinking of ordering the UK version...but if it's sounds like crap I might as well just stick with the US version (which I'm sure won't sound any better).

I was holding on to some hope that the mastering was actually good - on my system the vinyl has fairly good bass and mids and quite a snappy presence at times - particularly noticeable on I Am What I Am and Mary (which is as far as i have got through the album thus far) - I would normally associate that with a decent sounding record, but all the way through the high frequencies are so poorly presented. I feel like i need to clean my ears :(

I put on the 7" when i first got home and i thought that was ropey too, but my system/ears was cold. Will go back to it later for reference' sake.

Really enjoying the album, hope i can somehow locate a good sounding version, im a bit worried about your comments about the CD to be honest!

WTF?
Huh?

:oops:
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

good review of a&e

Death, where is thy sting? Not here

"'Sweet Talk', meanwhile, features the first recorded instance of Pierce noticing the outside world, with a couplet sneering at the war." :lol: debatable
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think the mp3 sounds better than the LP. it's not my record player, because gainsbourg was sounding fantastic. Awful, hissing fucking dreadful thing it is.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

James T wrote:I think the mp3 sounds better than the LP. it's not my record player, because gainsbourg was sounding fantastic. Awful, hissing fucking dreadful thing it is.
that does sound worrying.
how does it compare to the cd version?
maybe i should go for that instead..
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Vinyl arrived today and I'm loving it, superb package and vinyl quality is excellent. Loving the album just wish So Long You Pretty Thing could have had a better ending because it's a an amazing track, fade out just seems like such a cop out :| !:
'Remember, change is not good'
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Picked it up. First listen. Really like 'Get What You Deserve', 'Headin' For The top' & 'I am What I am'. Haven't really liked the beginning of the ballads but prefered them when they got going.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

moop wrote:
James T wrote:I think the mp3 sounds better than the LP. it's not my record player, because gainsbourg was sounding fantastic. Awful, hissing fucking dreadful thing it is.
I haven't bought a cd in years now. Other people don't seem to think it's so bad so I don't get the problem with mine. All my other LPs sound fine, I gave it a good brush and the needle too. Played with the weighting of the arm too, just sounds fucking awful.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Actually, it seems to just be the first LP. The chorus to little girl is unlistenable.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

James T wrote:
moop wrote:
I haven't bought a cd in years now. Other people don't seem to think it's so bad so I don't get the problem with mine. All my other LPs sound fine, I gave it a good brush and the needle too. Played with the weighting of the arm too, just sounds fucking awful.
yeah, i dont usually bother with cds too, but having listened to the audio stream and then hearing your opinion of the vinyl i thought that might be the easiest way of hearing the mix that jason intended, while also showing my support. From what you've said, it seems your vinyl may just be an oddity. Very strange that it's on one slab of vinyl and not the other - maybe that's the infamous 'promo mix', haha. I guess i'd wait and see if others on here have the same issue... hopefully you can get a replacement where both records sound good.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Fuck it, I've just decided to listen to rumours. Can't beat the mac.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

man im really tired of these slow gospel songs

disappointing album
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Kurious Oranj wrote:man im really tired of these slow gospel songs

disappointing album
I guess I should cancel my order then.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

do you get salty every time someone has anything negative to say about spiritualized? :roll:
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Well, as for pressing quality of disc 2, it's still crap in my opinion although nowhere near as crap as disc 1
Its a shame because underneath the messed up treble there is definitely a good sound.

Will be contacting Domino about it next week. Hope the US pressings are much better than these.

As for the music itself, overall i prefer this album much more to A&E. Overall it's good, but it's not great. Some of the mixing seems unconventional, but i think possibly it will serve over time to be a distinctive feature of the record. I think repeated listens will be rewarding......
As noted by others, some of the lyrics are pretty rubbish, and perhaps shouldnt have seen the light of day. But I tend to enjoy the music over everything else. 7/10 for me. I think some of these songs will grow and grow in a live situation.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Glad but also disappointed that other people have a problem with disc 1 more than disc 2. It's pathetic that they can't press this stuff right when they take pre-orders and charge £20 when I can pick up a brand new album on LP for about £12/13 in msot situations now.
YerMa
Known user

Post by YerMa »

I managed to snare a cd copy today, and the first thing I noticed was how quiet it is. I then tried it on two other cd players and then on my pc, yep, same thing, it's quiet (mastered so?).
Anyway, besides that little niggle, i'm really liking it. There are a few instantly humable tunes on there.
I'm pleased.
JohnGris
Known user

Post by JohnGris »

YerMa wrote:I managed to snare a cd copy today, and the first thing I noticed was how quiet it is. I then tried it on two other cd players and then on my pc, yep, same thing, it's quiet (mastered so?).
Anyway, besides that little niggle, i'm really liking it. There are a few instantly humable tunes on there.
I'm pleased.
better to be quiet than brickwalled to within an inch of its life.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Kurious Oranj wrote:do you get salty every time someone has anything negative to say about spiritualized? :roll:
its the internet, you posted your opinion now whomever wants to can respond. i did.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

BVCP206 wrote:Vinyl arrived today and I'm loving it, superb package and vinyl quality is excellent. Loving the album just wish So Long You Pretty Thing could have had a better ending because it's a an amazing track, fade out just seems like such a cop out :| !:
Forgot to mention how impressed I was with Domino. Good commuication and very well packaged :D
'Remember, change is not good'
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Album arrived yesterday! Haven't had chance to play the vinyl as I need to fix my turntable, but already the download sounds ace.

Small world time - Finn Peters, guy who plays tenor sax and flute on this album, teaches my flatmate saxophone! Might ask her to get details....

Now it's out, I am getting rather curious as to the whole 'recorded at home' thing, especially since a London studio is listed too. Wonder what was done where....
taikonaut
Known user
Location: at the gates requesting new passwords that never ever work

Post by taikonaut »

YerMa wrote:I managed to snare a cd copy today, and the first thing I noticed was how quiet it is. I then tried it on two other cd players and then on my pc, yep, same thing, it's quiet (mastered so?)..
There used to be a solution for this in the ancient world..

it had a really strange name.. several words I think...

oh yeah! volume control! pretty sure twas called that.
Jason Pierce wrote:the pop part of Spiritualized is the bit I'm most uncomfortable about
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

taikonaut wrote:
YerMa wrote:I managed to snare a cd copy today, and the first thing I noticed was how quiet it is. I then tried it on two other cd players and then on my pc, yep, same thing, it's quiet (mastered so?)..

Alright, well, no need to be rude. A lot of people don't understand mastering and a large portion of modern music has been mastered poorly (way too loud) over the past ten years or so. The fact that SHSL is quieter than, say, Definitely Maybe, is a good thing.

What is mastering? http://saffmastering.com/_site/main.html

The Loudness War: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Has anyone had there download link from Domino yet? Or are they waiting until tomorrow to send it?
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

From looking at the waves it seems to be nowhere near as obnoxiously brickwalled as some recent releases for sure, but could still be a wee bit better. I suppose that in 2012 one mustn't complain too much though.

My own CD sounds fine by the way, so maybe there was a batch of bad pressings?
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

simonkeeping wrote:Has anyone had there download link from Domino yet? Or are they waiting until tomorrow to send it?
A card with a code on it came with the vinyl.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:Album arrived yesterday! Haven't had chance to play the vinyl as I need to fix my turntable, but already the download sounds ace.

Small world time - Finn Peters, guy who plays tenor sax and flute on this album, teaches my flatmate saxophone! Might ask her to get details....

Now it's out, I am getting rather curious as to the whole 'recorded at home' thing, especially since a London studio is listed too. Wonder what was done where....
taikonaut
Known user
Location: at the gates requesting new passwords that never ever work

Post by taikonaut »

TheWarmth wrote: Alright, well, no need to be rude.
It is the best solution (volume control)

I was not trying to be rude..but I do see how the added poor humour for some could stretch it to perhaps extra light rudeness, although that not the intention and I wouldn´t think so myself.. (but that is admittedly beside the point on a message board)

sorry yerma or anyone who thinks that post was too harsh

It´s not that some records are quiet and shy - it´s those brickwalls desperately screaming for attention all over that make music with proper volume and at least some dynamics seem quiet.. never a problem if you play the actual record on something decent. Yes, it can be a problem with media players and shuffling but it´s the loudmouths that are the culprits/problem - not the other way around! Brickwalling is rude!
Jason Pierce wrote:the pop part of Spiritualized is the bit I'm most uncomfortable about
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

taikonaut wrote:It´s not that some records are quiet and shy - it´s those brickwalls desperately screaming for attention all over that make music with proper volume and at least some dynamics seem quiet.. never a problem if you play the actual record on something decent. Yes, it can be a problem with media players and shuffling but it´s the loudmouths that are the culprits/problem - not the other way around! Brickwalling is rude!
Well, I agree that brickwalling has been excessive (though this has been largely resolved other than the Bruno Mars and Nickelbacks of the world). But, a lot of the older line CDs were mastered rather carelessly, and really were too quiet. I have an Aretha Franklin compilation that has the most depressingly thin sound. I think there's a happy medium somewhere between the annoyingly quiet and the brickwalled, which hopefully SHSL will have when the CD arrives.

And the media player thing is an issue too, I've squandered many an hour tinkering with the volume of overly brickwalled CDs circa 2006 and poorly mastered material from the 80s.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

mkb wrote:
simonkeeping wrote:Has anyone had there download link from Domino yet? Or are they waiting until tomorrow to send it?
A card with a code on it came with the vinyl.
Bummer, my vinyl is being sent to Australia, I'm in Austin. Oh well....
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
YerMa
Known user

Post by YerMa »

taikonaut wrote:

Several words? When I was at school in "the ancient world," volume control was only two words. :wink:
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Pitchfork likes Sweet Heart Sweet Light

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/165 ... eet-light/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

as do popmatters

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/157 ... eet-light/

SHSL has got an average of 80 on metacritic

http://www.metacritic.com/music/sweet-h ... t=positive

at the moment that's their best average on there (albums only go back to LICD though)
Fatah Ruark
Known user

Post by Fatah Ruark »

cantona wrote:Pitchfork likes Sweet Heart Sweet Light

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/165 ... eet-light/
It's not often that PF rates an album HIGHER than I would.

I think it's a great record, but 8.8 is a bit high IMO.

I like LICD and AG better than this one. About the same as A+E.

Who knows...maybe this one will grow on me.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

this review is the worst yet I think,f8cking dreadful, quite disappointing , coming from The Quietus which in general I find to be a good site, :x

helps if you post the link eh,http://thequietus.com/articles/08533-sp ... ght-review
Last edited by niamhm on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Went record shopping in London after work today, at Sister Ray i overheard a guy purchase the album, and it was also being played in the vinyl section at HMV. Good to hear it getting out and about!
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

A question to anyone with an official copy in their hands:

Is there a comma in the album title?
Last edited by Vancouver on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Vancouver wrote:A question to anyone with an official copy in their hands:

Is there a comma in album title?
Yes
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Cheers.
musicheals2
Known user

Post by musicheals2 »

Still waiting for my cd to arrive but also bought it from itunes (showing my support) and it sounds fab. So much better than the stream. I play my music through my pc with a soundblaster audio card to a surround sound amplifier and it just sounds brilliant. I love this record so much. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

ha!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

jack white wrote:

ha!
ha?

huh?
swinny
Known user

Post by swinny »

Only just got to my first proper listen-through...not sure what I think really. Undoubtedly some great moments, and has that grower feel where I'm sure more listens will reveal more depth etc, so I'm sure it will go quite a few times over the next few days. A&E was much more immediate for me though.

I'm lost on the production (as it seems many are) - almost felt like I need to be changing EQ between songs. Obviously, MP3s on an iPhone through a dock isn't the height of hi-fi reproduction, but it sounded harsh and no amount of fiddling with volume or EQ settings on the dock or iPhone could really get it to sound OK. Sounded better through computer speakers, but still a few almost "shrill" bits. Strange to say the least.

Biggest disappointment for me is So Long You Pretty Thing - at RAH and the recent Oxford gig it was the stand-out for me and I just couldn't wait to hear it on record. Doesn't seem to work though - doesn't feel as big as either of the live versions and without the build-up to the big crescendo/chorus bit it just seems to "happen" rather than explode as it did live. Still a wonderful tune, but on first listen it doesn't quite reach the heights I was hoping for.
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

I saw that Rough Trade has both the Ltd. Edition double white vinyl and the plain black double LP in stock and ready to ship within 2 days. Also says that the white version is limited to only 1,000 copies. Strange thing is that the black version costs more than the white (£23.99 vs. £19.99, respectively).

I already have my order in for the double white LP from Domino which is supposed to ship in May, but like the completist that I am, I also want the black vinyl version. Does anyone know if Rough Trade ships these to the U.S. or are they forbidden from doing so because of licensing restrictions like other online stores?
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

slidesong wrote:Does anyone know if Rough Trade ships these to the U.S. or are they forbidden from doing so because of licensing restrictions like other online stores?
Yes they ship these to the US. I'm waiting on mine to show up...hopefully in the beginning of next week.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

O P 8