Sweet Heart Sweet Light

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

redcloud
Known user

Re: Sweet Heart Sweet Light

Post by redcloud »

I swung by the record store today after work and they had both the LP and CD in the shops over here. :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Thats interesting since Fat Possum have told those of us who ordered it we wont see it until early May. Perhaps its the white vinyl that is causing the delay. Did the Lp say anything about white vinyl?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Thats interesting since Fat Possum have told those of us who ordered it we wont see it until early May. Perhaps its the white vinyl that is causing the delay. Did the Lp say anything about white vinyl?
I chose the CD simply out of price ($12 cheaper than vinyl) and a hesitation towards the LP due to olan and runcible's concerns. LP was stocked in the larger shop across town. I could have driven over to get it or he would have it in the shop for me to collect tomorrow/Thursday. No idea if it was white or black vinyl. I didn't ask.

The CD has thick card that wraps around the jewel case. The card is only thing with art/writing. Spine, back and front cover of jacket is white. I quite like the minimalism. Kinda like those bars that don't have signs.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

They also had a box full of free stickers with 'Huh?' art on them. I grabbed a few.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

the times

Will Hodgkinson
Last updated at 12:01AM, April 13 2012
Rated to 3 stars

Jason Pierce of Spiritualized has been right to the edge and has come back with more psychedelic drones and gospel

Ever since his first band, the endlessly influential psychedelic pioneers Spacemen 3, split up in 1990 Jason Pierce has been heading towards some sort of rock’n’roll transcendence with Spiritualized. Whether he’s singing about drug highs, the agonies of love or religious ecstasy, augmenting songs with gospel choruses or fuzzed-out garage-punk guitars, Pierce is in the business of making a sound to blow your mind. When he pulls it off — as on the 1997 masterpiece Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space — Spiritualized are a band like no other. But you cannot remain on a level of total intensity for 20 years. So you end up with albums like this, which blows your mind only a little bit.

That Pierce is continuing to make albums at all is something of a miracle. After periods of heroin addiction — much of Ladies and Gentlemen was the sonic equivalent of a drug haze — Pierce has suffered one setback after another. He fell out with all his musicians in the early 2000s. Spiritualized was going to go down in history as the first ever band to play inside the CERN collider, and then a passing bird dropped a baguette onto the collider and it was rendered inoperable. In 2005 he was hospitalised with double pneumonia and nearly died. He recovered to reflect the experience in Spiritualized’s album Songs In A&E, only to become housebound for six months with a severe relapse.

You’d think all that might give him a new perspective on life, or a sense of humour. But Sweet Heart Sweet Light continues doing what Spiritualized have always done: trying to meld everything, from gospel to blues to psychedelic rock to avant-garde modern classical, into a quasi-religious whole. Hey Jane begins as a rock’n’roll dirge, seemingly made up of a single unending chord upon which other things — backing singers doing wordless harmonies, guitar riffs, a burst of discord — are layered. That would make for a classic song, if it didn’t go on for almost nine minutes.

Pierce’s expansive approach works when there is enough at a song’s core to support it. The album ends with So Long You Pretty Thing, a sweet and appealing duet between Pierce and his 12-year-old daughter. “If you feel lonely and the world’s against you, take the long way home, past the scary Jesus,” they sing in lullaby tones. Then the song becomes a classic ballad, underpinned by descending piano chords and a churchlike organ hum, about feeling lost and alone. Elsewhere, the swelling orchestras, squealing guitars and frequent mentions of Jesus, Mary and the Lord come across as stylistic fallbacks rather than the tools with which deep feeling is mined.

It’s a good thing Pierce has survived his misfortunes to keep making music.

and the sunday times had it as 'dud of the week'
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Dud of the week

Spiritualized — Sweet Heart Sweet Light
Domino DS045CD
Jason Pierce planned to make a much more straightforward pop album, but then his more-is-more instincts took over and out came the trademark Spirtualized wall of sound. It’s a pity that it did, because this is far from his best set of songs, and nothing can expose the weakness in a song quite as dramatically as layering it with strings and portentous percussion and stretching it out to twice the length it should be. The better moments in a disappointing collection are the (relatively) stripped-down passages: Freedom and the first few minutes of Mary both reveal a charming Blurish/Kinksian melodic sense. The final track, So Long You Pretty Things, finally reaches the transcendent heights we know this band is capable of. DC

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

redcloud wrote:
spzretent wrote: The CD has thick card that wraps around the jewel case. The card is only thing with art/writing. Spine, back and front cover of jacket is white. I quite like the minimalism. Kinda like those bars that don't have signs.
yeah i noticed that, seems to be a theme of late, a/g, a&e and now shsl all seems to be packaged white and simplistic

bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

swedish press gives SHSL seemingly positive reviews:

Göteborgs-Posten 4/5
~"has not sounded this good since LAGWAFIS", "genuine love for the music and its myths"

Dagens Nyheter 4/5
~"pop-shimmering reawakening", "the sound is timeless on the brink of unimaginative, but at the same time vital and spiritual"

Svenska Dagbladet 4/6
(totally meaningless review that does not comment on the album at all)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Vancouver wrote:
jack white wrote:
Vancouver wrote:A question to anyone with an official copy in their hands:

Is there a comma in album title?
ha!
ha?

huh?

what do u think of SHSL??
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The Dr wrote:the times

Will Hodgkinson
Last updated at 12:01AM, April 13 2012
Rated to 3 stars

Jason Pierce of Spiritualized has been right to the edge and has come back with more psychedelic drones and gospel

Ever since his first band, the endlessly influential psychedelic pioneers Spacemen 3, split up in 1990 Jason Pierce has been heading towards some sort of rock’n’roll transcendence with Spiritualized. Whether he’s singing about drug highs, the agonies of love or religious ecstasy, augmenting songs with gospel choruses or fuzzed-out garage-punk guitars, Pierce is in the business of making a sound to blow your mind. When he pulls it off — as on the 1997 masterpiece Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space — Spiritualized are a band like no other. But you cannot remain on a level of total intensity for 20 years. So you end up with albums like this, which blows your mind only a little bit.

That Pierce is continuing to make albums at all is something of a miracle. After periods of heroin addiction — much of Ladies and Gentlemen was the sonic equivalent of a drug haze — Pierce has suffered one setback after another. He fell out with all his musicians in the early 2000s. Spiritualized was going to go down in history as the first ever band to play inside the CERN collider, and then a passing bird dropped a baguette onto the collider and it was rendered inoperable. In 2005 he was hospitalised with double pneumonia and nearly died. He recovered to reflect the experience in Spiritualized’s album Songs In A&E, only to become housebound for six months with a severe relapse.

You’d think all that might give him a new perspective on life, or a sense of humour. But Sweet Heart Sweet Light continues doing what Spiritualized have always done: trying to meld everything, from gospel to blues to psychedelic rock to avant-garde modern classical, into a quasi-religious whole. Hey Jane begins as a rock’n’roll dirge, seemingly made up of a single unending chord upon which other things — backing singers doing wordless harmonies, guitar riffs, a burst of discord — are layered. That would make for a classic song, if it didn’t go on for almost nine minutes.

Pierce’s expansive approach works when there is enough at a song’s core to support it. The album ends with So Long You Pretty Thing, a sweet and appealing duet between Pierce and his 12-year-old daughter. “If you feel lonely and the world’s against you, take the long way home, past the scary Jesus,” they sing in lullaby tones. Then the song becomes a classic ballad, underpinned by descending piano chords and a churchlike organ hum, about feeling lost and alone. Elsewhere, the swelling orchestras, squealing guitars and frequent mentions of Jesus, Mary and the Lord come across as stylistic fallbacks rather than the tools with which deep feeling is mined.

It’s a good thing Pierce has survived his misfortunes to keep making music.

and the sunday times had it as 'dud of the week'

what in the fuck is this review about? there's more bullshit per word in there than maybe any review i've read so far (tho uncut comes close...)
it's a drag Will Hodgkinson survived his misfortunes to keep on producing his inane writing.
& on a point of his review - i think J is quite often hilarious!! & the only way HY could be better is if it went on for another 9 mins!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

mc wrote:5 out of 5 from Tiny Mix Tapes:

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-revie ... weet-light
5 out of 5 perhaps, but just as headache inducing and pretentious as yer one's last week. Yet another review that doesn't actually tell us about the record. :roll:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

sunray wrote:

5 out of 5 perhaps, but just as headache inducing and pretentious as yer one's last week. Yet another review that doesn't actually tell us about the record. :roll:
:-) that was fairly tame for Tiny Mix Tapes!! some of their reviews are just godawful. really pretentious.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

sunray wrote:5 out of 5 perhaps, but just as headache inducing and pretentious as yer one's last week. Yet another review that doesn't actually tell us about the record. :roll:
That's what just what I was thinking reading that review. It always seems that when critics review Spiritualized they've got to go to the same old well with the tired/dubious biographical blurb and the same old cliches about space rock architecture encompassing the Velvets, gospel, and Brian Wilson. But it usually ends up revealing their lack of knowledge about the Spacemen/Spiritualized and their lack of insight into the record.

I remember reading all sorts of reviews when I first got into the band and feeling like there was so much information I'd never be informed. Now, all these years later, I wonder how much of that early stuff I read was pure bunk.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

sunray wrote:

Yeah, it wasn't a particularly illuminating read. I was expecting TMT to tear the album to shreds, to be honest; it seems more their style.
BugTomek
New user

Post by BugTomek »

PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

This really is a superb record. I hear references to earlier work all the way through it yet it sounds new, fresh and 'complete' for want of a better phrase. The artwork all makes sense now. And, yes, it works best when played loud.
Brando77
New user

Post by Brando77 »

Hello everyone, I am a big Spiritualized fan and an avid record collector and I am posting on this board pleading for help...
I reside in Canada and Double Six will not ship the limited white vinyl version of the record to me for some bullshit "licensing agreement" reasons.

I am willing to Paypal a board member the required funds to cover the record, shipping to you and the cost to ship to me here in Canada as well as some extra money for the trouble. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone interested can email me at brandon.rattan77@hotmail.com
Thank you!
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Anyone's Japanese versions with bonus tracks arrived yet?
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:Anyone's Japanese versions with bonus tracks arrived yet?
Actually, I was just going to post a link to an EBay auction for the Japanese version of SHSL. You can Buy It Now for $34.50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIRITUALIZED-S ... 4414wt_905

These are the bonus tracks:
  • 12. True love will find you in the end (outtake) (Bonus track)
    13. Huh? (outro) (Bonus track)
I wonder if this is worth plunking down almost $40 for. I know there are bonus tracks, but do I really need another version of True love will find you in the end, and another minute-long version of Huh? (outro)?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Really enjoying the album, resisted listening to the leak version a week ago or so.
Jason seems more relaxed and I don't mind the artwork so much. I was kinda wondering if it was a joke when the album art first surfaced ... Can't wait for the concert in San Francisco !
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I am looking forward to hearing those bonus tracks...

I just got my CD in the mail and it is a sleek package indeed. Evocative photos and I like the slipcase over the basically unmarked packaging. Much nicer overall than the last one, and a return to the aesthetic of Amazing Grace, which I really liked.

And, is this the first time Spaceman has included lyrics with an LP? I am very pleased because there are some lines I wasn't clear on, and the record is witty in a way he hasn't quite been since Let It Come Down. Cool and definitely value-added to the packaging, and it doesn't come with spyware!

If the vinyl was getting better reviews from everyone I might consider purchasing it.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Brando77 wrote:Hello everyone, I am a big Spiritualized fan and an avid record collector and I am posting on this board pleading for help...
I reside in Canada and Double Six will not ship the limited white vinyl version of the record to me for some bullshit "licensing agreement" reasons.
fat possum is selling a white double vinyl version and it's not shipping until may. give that a shot. if you're set on a uk pressing i'd recommend you peruse the 'mastering/pressing' thread. also, welcome to the forum!
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Brando77 wrote:Hello everyone, I am a big Spiritualized fan and an avid record collector and I am posting on this board pleading for help...
Order through Fat Possum.

EDIT - Sorry, replied before I got to the post above.
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

jadams501 wrote:And, is this the first time Spaceman has included lyrics with an LP?
lyrics were incuded with A&E (except 'i gotta fire'?) and with the mid-price cd reissue of 'pure phase', as far as i know
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

some more reading materiel for those who want to avoid work today

http://www.soundspike.com/story/4248/al ... at-possum/
http://mishkanyc.com/bloglin/2012/04/18 ... eet-light/

thought this one was about on the money http://popstache.com/album-review/spiri ... eet-light/
musicheals2
Known user

Post by musicheals2 »

jadams501 wrote:And, is this the first time Spaceman has included lyrics with an LP?.
Songs In A & E contained the lyrics...and the re release of Pure Phase...and I got a card with the lyrics for Let It Come Down...
swinny
Known user

Post by swinny »

http://www.manikmusic.net/reviews/spiri ... eet-light/ - not sure if anyone has posted this review. I've literally no clue what it is on about though, let alone the inaccuracies - ah, pretentious blog types!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

slidesong wrote:
Goodnightgoodnight wrote:Anyone's Japanese versions with bonus tracks arrived yet?
Actually, I was just going to post a link to an EBay auction for the Japanese version of SHSL. You can Buy It Now for $34.50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIRITUALIZED-S ... 4414wt_905

These are the bonus tracks:
  • 12. True love will find you in the end (outtake) (Bonus track)
    13. Huh? (outro) (Bonus track)
I wonder if this is worth plunking down almost $40 for. I know there are bonus tracks, but do I really need another version of True love will find you in the end, and another minute-long version of Huh? (outro)?
i treid to see if you could download those tracks only from amazon japan but can't seem to find how to, if indeed one can- also i can't speak japanese :wink:

Most Helpful Customer Reviews
10 of 10 people found the following review helpful
Grand, solemn, earnest, beautiful and bombastic: Spiritualized is rejuvinated April 17, 2012
By Storylover TOP 500 REVIEWERVINEâ„¢ VOICE
Format:Audio CD
Spiritualized never did what I wanted them to do. When I heard "Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating in Space", I wanted them to be another Sigur Ros. They aren't, never have been, and aren't now. And boy am I glad, because what they do is wonderful. After "Songs in A&E", Jason Pierce's deeply beautiful and interesting meditation on a near death experience (interestingly, largely written before he actually had a near death experience) I wasn't sure which way he'd go. He went big. The album opens with a hypnotic instrumental, and segues quickly into "Hey Jane", which is a simply wonderful jangle rock tune that starts great and just gets grander, ending 8 minutes later in a blissed out reverb drenched singalong: "Sweet heart, sweet light, sweet heart, and love of my life" he sings, sounding utterly sincere and affirming. An absolutely wonderful amazing way to open the album. "Headin' for the Top Now" stars out with a noisy crunchy guitar drone and then overlays a honky-tonk piano, then Pierce comes in with a world weary vocal that manages to channel the Stone Roses and Mick Jagger with attitude to spare. Huh? Yea. Exactly. "Mary", beautiful and soft on beginning, but evolving with a spare but funky guitar into a blues fueled chant. "Mary, you know this life's so sweet...Mary, you know we both have dreams but you're the one who gotta live them instead" Pierce sings while layers and layers of guitars and strings,not to mention layers of vocals pile on into an ecstasy of fuzzed out wonder. This album is long, slow and detailed, full of touches that reveal themselves over time, but is not delicate or precious--it is sincere, ambitious, and a very fulfilling listen.

spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

ive ordered but i dont think the japanese version is released until 25th april. thats what it says on 'CDjapan' anyway.
cant wait to recieve as i'm hoping the mastering/ production/ whatever is better than the one i bought in Fopp the other day!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

as i've said before i see ag-shsl as a trilogy and have put together a comp from the three albums to listen to on the trian today

tracklist

huh intro
goodnight
rated x
i am what i am
lord let it rain (lauren laverne live)
soul on fire
life is a problem
death take your fiddle
too late
sitting on fire
harmony 2 (silent sound)
she kissed me
hey jane
borrowed your gun
lay it down slow
you lie you cheat
freedom
cheapster
so long you pretty things

thoughts?

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It's cool if the comp floats your boat, but I prefer to simply listen to the albums as individual pieces. That's what the artist intended, after all. A lot of work goes into the running order of an album and making sure it flows nicely.

Also, I'm curious why you view the most recent three albums as a trilogy.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Now this is humorous - I wont link to it the film directly, it is nsfw Esquire titillation with Hey Jane as the soundtrack and a famous actress, this article tells all. http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_p ... nderpants/

Wonder if they got permission to use Hey Jane? I was amazed when Spiritualized were on a toffee crisp advert. I guess things have moved on. :shock:
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Thanks for posting, i rather enjoyed that.......!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

:D
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

please, now. That was posted for academic interest only!
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Nice kitchen.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

clewsr wrote:Now this is humorous - I wont link to it the film directly, it is nsfw Esquire titillation with Hey Jane as the soundtrack and a famous actress, this article tells all. http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_p ... nderpants/

Wonder if they got permission to use Hey Jane? I was amazed when Spiritualized were on a toffee crisp advert. I guess things have moved on. :shock:
Would much prefer 10mins of that than the official video :D
jmb066
Known user

Post by jmb066 »

NICE!!!
Jason Burkett
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Broc wrote: Would much prefer 10mins of that than the official video :D
heh heh. Now that's the punchline that was needed! I'm inclined to agree with you.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

:lol:
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Wow, she really puts the "ass" in "actress".
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I've FINALLY heard it. Wow, is all i can say. We put it on in the car today, i also had a cheeky listen to the stream on tuesday. Its a blinder of the record, I'd say his best since Ladies and Gentlemen. The songs are fantastic as is the way its arranged and mixed. The guitar noise is something else...! I love it
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

clewsr wrote:
I've seen a few interesting song choices on commercials. Target used a BJM tune!? For those not in the USA...Target is essentially a competitor of Walmart. Very odd to hear BJM on one of their commercials.

As Portland is separated by river from the Washington state border we get a lot of local Washington commercials, including this one for their lottery where they used the Black Angels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzWNGZ4z_jY
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

and straight in at number 11 its Spiritualized....http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sect ... 049216&c=1
musicheals2
Known user

Post by musicheals2 »

clewsr wrote:Now this is humorous - I wont link to it the film directly, it is nsfw Esquire titillation with Hey Jane as the soundtrack and a famous actress, this article tells all. http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_p ... nderpants/

:shock: ...wow...f*ck you guys I'm guna go google her! :lol:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

some more random reviews. Play spot the mistakes if you like

http://www.straight.com/article-663326/ ... nd-awesome
http://www.wbez.org/blogs/jim-derogatis ... gain-98369
http://www.breezejmu.org/life/article_3 ... 0f31a.html
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/ ... ed-632025/
http://thefourohfive.com/review/article ... weet-light

and a rather novel video review

http://theneedledrop.com/2012/04/spirit ... t-light-2/

"it's hard not to root for a man who, on the soaring "Life's a Problem" and "So Long You Pretty Things," seeks God's salvation. Amen."

Interesting the way the increasingly ambiguous religious lyrics are being taken over in the US. Maybe Jason is going for the Lucrative Christian Rock Dollar. Probably merits a thread on its own at some point.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

http://move.themaneater.com/stories/201 ... flavors-j/

I was with this review until (“Headin’ For the Top Now” being the weakest). Surely that's a contender for best song??
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

clewsr wrote:some more random reviews. Play spot the mistakes if you like

http://www.straight.com/article-663326/ ... nd-awesome
http://www.wbez.org/blogs/jim-derogatis ... gain-98369
http://www.breezejmu.org/life/article_3 ... 0f31a.html
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/ ... ed-632025/
http://thefourohfive.com/review/article ... weet-light

and a rather novel video review

http://theneedledrop.com/2012/04/spirit ... t-light-2/

"it's hard not to root for a man who, on the soaring "Life's a Problem" and "So Long You Pretty Things," seeks God's salvation. Amen."

Interesting the way the increasingly ambiguous religious lyrics are being taken over in the US. Maybe Jason is going for the Lucrative Christian Rock Dollar. Probably merits a thread on its own at some point.
time to dust off those Creed covers for the US tour.
can't wait for their rendition of With Arms Wide Open...
gonna burn brightly
for a while
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

Looks like I was the straw that broke the camel's back with Everett True and his silly website; he's now disabled the comments under the Collapsed Board SHSL "review" :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

there's a two page feature in the NME this week- Jason chooses his favourite lost pop records and talks about them a little. usual suspects he has been mentioning during interviews- Link Wray, Dennis Wilson, Jonathan Richman
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

lazer_guided wrote:Looks like I was the straw that broke the camel's back with Everett True and his silly website; he's now disabled the comments under the Collapsed Board SHSL "review" :lol:

hah. Its hilarious. There would have been no where near as many comments if he hadn't waded in. I found it very odd he was accusing the commenters of being trolls when his comments were more troll like than anyone else. It created some debate though and that's always good.

"I do not consider myself a commentator as I believe that everyone should be a participant. I criticise people and in return I am not surprised if other people criticise me. It is part of the whole deal of being in the public arena. I am Everett True. Believe in me and I have power like a God. Quit believing in me and I no longer exist."
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

angelsighs wrote:there's a two page feature in the NME this week- Jason chooses his favourite lost pop records and talks about them a little. usual suspects he has been mentioning during interviews- Link Wray, Dennis Wilson, Jonathan Richman
Which Richman record, the Modern Lovers first one?
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

He's the world's finest secret musician :wink:
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I'm just finished up listening to Sweet Heart Sweet Light for the 10th time on iTunes. :D
clewsr wrote:

Jason's certainly an oddball for continuing to sing about Jesus, Lord and God on his albums. From what I've read on this board probably a majority don't like that he does this. It seems Jason is non-religious, so why does he keep coming back to these religious themes? Maybe this is the topic for another thread. My take on it is Jason is an agnostic or atheist, but wishes there was a God that heard his prayers. I think Christians listening to him singing Oh Happy Day, Life Is a Problem, Walking With Jesus, and So Long You Pretty Thing might think he is making a mockery of their faith. I don't think that is his intention though. I would like to hear him discuss more why he uses these themes.
taikonaut
Known user
Location: at the gates requesting new passwords that never ever work

Post by taikonaut »

clewsr wrote: Interesting the way the increasingly ambiguous religious lyrics are being taken over in the US. Maybe Jason is going for the Lucrative Christian Rock Dollar. Probably merits a thread on its own at some point.
I love american contemporary christian community-distributed music.. especially Amy Grant who also happen to be the only one of all those multi-million selling artists that this european ever had heard of before youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNIO9KH3UC8 <-- J. can relearn mixing from this song (turn up the bass ffs! :roll: )

Sometimes the artists change their musical style completely (but not the christian message of course)

Four years between these songs by the band "decent christian talk":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Nd7lZgp4o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbB0QrBIs9k

nghst wrote: Jason's certainly an oddball for continuing to sing about Jesus, Lord and God on his albums.
maybe he is a jesus freak? :mrgreen: :roll:

..bet J is an agnostic like most europeans
Jason Pierce wrote:the pop part of Spiritualized is the bit I'm most uncomfortable about
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

There is a 4 star (out of 4) review at http://www.wbez.org/blogs/jim-derogatis ... gain-98369 Clewsr already shared this link above, but I thought it was worth highlighting again. Derogatis seems to be a pretty devoted fan. He sees LGM and LAGWAFIS as the best Spiritualized albums through A & E and here's how he describes Sweet Heart Sweet Light after discussing the 4 albums in between:
Jim Derogatis wrote:The other four entries in the band’s discography certainly have their high points (pardon the pun). But Pierce’s pain just wasn’t epic enough, or there were too many other pleasant distractions from his obsessions with music and drugs, to quite equal his two masterpieces. With the new Sweet Heart Sweet Light, however, he finally has done it again, though thankfully, he’s in a much healthier and dare we say more mature place after a life-threatening battle with degenerative liver disease and six months of chemotherapy.

I don't know about the maturity part though. I think we all mature as we go through life's experiences, but I wouldn't say Spaceman was immature before he went through his most recent sickness.

Another reason I brought up this review again was because of one of the comments made after the review. It hit on the God theme in Spaceman's records.
Brendan Diamond wrote:One point of disagreement, though, Jim... I don't think Pierce is talking about rock 'n' roll when he's talking about God. I think he's talking about God, and pretty explicitly, too. But he's not doing it in that devout-but-sinful Stuart Murdoch-y way. Instead, I think he's doing it sort of like the embodiment of what Wayne Coyne has always said: "I don't believe in God, but I wish I did." Pierce may not be a hyper-religious person, but I think a lot of us respond to that longing... we see our friends and family members being fulfilled in whole or in part by a certain amount of faith, and we wonder, much like Pierce did a couple records ago, "Lord, can you hear me when I call?" That's not so much saying, "God, I know you're up there, so can you please help me?" or "Jesus, you around? I could use a pick-me-up right now." It's more like, "Is there a God? And if there is, why the f*** is he ignoring me? Am I really alone here?" It's powerful and profound, the kind of pseudo-religious experience that rock music can evoke -- but I don't think that rock music and God are being used synonymously in this case.
I think that could be pretty close to the truth.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

He always mentions using God as a way of achieving very powerful music - it's a means to an end. I think the emotions he would like to convey (and not what he's feeling, natch) in song are best carried across by using the religious imagery, he feels. I mean, he listens to enough gospel music to understand they are conveying very powerful messages with that language. He's always said as much, I think.

What's he say in that Sun interview? 'When I sing 'help me lord', I'm not asking him to fix the fucking car.' He's not talking about his life, rather trying to craft strong emotional music.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Who r what is Roche?

& what's j's fave type of haribo?!

this album throws out more questions than it answers. these ^ r merely the most important 2..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Been locked inside a studio for weeks and FINALLY got a chance to listen to the record. My CD copy is sounding extremely muffled soundwise. I'm going to check the WAV files too, but my record player is on the blink so it will be a while before I can hear the vinyl. I'll go around my mates perhaps!
So don't know what to say about the sound just yet...

...but on first listen I'm absolutely loving the songs!!!! I think this is going to end up one of my favourite Spiritualized records of all time. It has elements of ALL the other records in it and there's a ' fuck it' attitude at the heart of it that I just love. I also already know that these songs kick ass live. You guys in the U.S are lucky with a tour coming up!!! Keep changing my mind about which song is my new favourite. They're all growers.
:D :D :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

nghst wrote: Thing might think he is making a mockery of their faith. I don't think that is his intention though. I would like to hear him discuss more why he uses these themes.
the same thing happened with lou reed on heroin- they said if you know what it feels like you've never been on it...also mr darin had a backlash for singing about taking a bath when he was a notorious shower fiend...etc...*sigh*

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

TheWarmth wrote:It's cool if the comp floats your boat, but I prefer to simply listen to the albums as individual pieces. That's what the artist intended, after all. A lot of work goes into the running order of an album and making sure it flows nicely.

Also, I'm curious why you view the most recent three albums as a trilogy.
i see ag as a natural progression onto a&e and then onto shsl which i think is where the elements that were attempted in the previous two records come to a to. sure some of the previous reach heights that latter ones don't but following an example oh baby-don't hold me close-freedom, as an example (not well thought out) of it progessing and become more realised, or maybe she kissed me-you lie-i am what i am etc. also with the packaging design etc it all feels likes part of one whole whereas lgm, pp, lag and licd all feel like seperate pieces. i'm not sure if i explained myself well...

redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

sunny wrote: ...but on first listen I'm absolutely loving the songs!!!! I think this is going to end up one of my favourite Spiritualized records of all time. Keep changing my mind about which song is my new favourite. They're all growers.
:D :D :D
I don't think this will become my favorite Spiritualized album BUT I agree that it is excellent and definitely the best he has released since LAGWAFIS. I also agree that the songs are all growers. So, who knows where it might land in my list of favorites.

I have played it many times since getting it on Tuesday and agree that they're all growers. 'Freedom' and 'Mary' are my current faves. I LOVE that guitar solo in 'Freedom' that starts around the 2'25 mark. And the deep, guttural, emotional cries in 'Mary' feel like Jason exorcising something really intense and from deep within.

I can't wait to hear these songs live. May 25 for me! :D
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Been listening to Mary over and over again today- totally agree with you redcloud. It's so primal!!! Let us know how the 25th goes!
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'