Sweet Heart Sweet Light

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Re: Sweet Heart Sweet Light

Post by angelsighs »

jack white wrote:What r the girls singing on IAWIA??
very good question. I've never managed to work it out
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I think its maybe this -

hey tell us about it, hey tell us some more,
hey tell us about it, Hey we've heard that all before

other lyrics here http://www.maxilyrics.com/spiritualized ... -2a5a.html
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

ty clewsr

think you might be right.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

hey tell us about it, hey tell us some more,
hey tell us about it, J, we've heard that all before

To my ears, anyway.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I've been listening to this quite a bit recently and it still stands up. To be honest though my thoughts about it haven't really changed much since i first heard these songs at the Albert Hall almost 10 years ago.
The rockers, Hey Jane, Get What You Deserve, Headin' For The Top and I Am What I Am still haven't lost anything in the intervening years. HFTT is one of his best, that melody just lodges in the skull. IAWIA is a path i wish he'd explore more.

The rest of it?
Intro i don't like at all.
Little Girl passes by inconsequentially, it's ok but if i never heard it again it wouldn't bother me.
Too Late is too much for me. That's the side of Jason's music i really can't stomach, too mawkish.
Freedom i didn't like, but a few years ago i heard it in my head as a JAMC song with William on vocals, something similar to Never Understood off Munki and it became more bearable. Probably not the best to have another band playing the song in your head though :lol:
Mary sounds like there's a really good song in there struggling to get out. A bit more groove and dirtier guitars would do the trick i think to lift it up. It's probably too long in its current form. Also, a momentum killer live.
Life Is A Problem see Too Late.
So Long You Pretty Thing Yeah, the lyrics are tiresome and the first section is too long but the second part cannot be denied. I'm usually not a fan of the big, anthemic, lighters in the air tunes but i can't help myself with this. Oddly, i enjoyed this at RAH 2011 but subsequent live outings not so much. I'm probably just a curmudgeonly fuck :lol:

Revisiting this album also sent me down a wormhole of reading all the threads related to it (and there are many!) both in Music and the Gigs section. There's some entertaining, lively and heated debate going on in all of them. When this place is at it's best i think. :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Agree with pretty much all that. With a couple of exceptions- I actually rather like Too Late. The smooth strings, and it's actually got a middle eight! This lifts it above the other latter period ballads that can be a bit identikit. Freedom is the overly mawkish one for me. It's forever ruined once you realise a boy band could easily cover it!

I like Intro. It doesn't last long and is a nice transition into Hey Jane (which I still standby as being one of Jason's finest ever moments.. Its almost got all the essential elements of Spiritualized all in one tune)

So Long You Pretty Thing is definition of a guilty pleasure. The lyrics are the usual tired, lonely, jesus stuff.. But it's a well written song.

As a set of songs it's pretty damn strong. It's a collection of pop songs but all different kinds of pop songs. As you say, the more raucous and upbeat songs are definitely the best and are also quite different from each other.
The BIG issue is still the production which sucks all the life out of the songs, and is flat and dry with no bass. Remix please!!

(disclaimer.. I haven't gone back to read my old posts on this so this may contradict what I've said before.. Opinions change over time)
jb
Known user

Post by jb »

I love Too Late!

Agree Hey Jane is one of Jason's best tracks and So Long is excellent too.

I Am What I I am...is nearly a great song. Just doesn't seem to go anywhere so it always sounds semi finished to me.

Overall... definitely better than the two albums that came before it, but not as strong as And Nothing Hurt?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jb wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:36 pm
I Am What I I am...is nearly a great song. Just doesn't seem to go anywhere so it always sounds semi finished to me.
I'd say this could apply to a lot of latter day songs. sometimes the songs themselves (rather than the production) need a bit more development.
a lot of the songs on Amazing Grace seem unfinished to me too.
jb wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:36 pm
Overall... definitely better than the two albums that came before it, but not as strong as And Nothing Hurt?
yep, I'd agree with that.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

jb wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:36 pmOverall... definitely better than the two albums that came before it, but not as strong as And Nothing Hurt?
I think I'd pick both AG and A + E over SWSL.

I think Amazing Grace gets a bit of an unfair kicking. Some on the stuff on that album is so raw- Cheapster, Ballad of Richie Lee, She Kissed me. And Lay it Down Slow is possibly his best 'soppy' tune if we are putting it that way. I listened to this album a lot when it came out and for years after.
Idon't hold the same feeling as many do that it is their weakest album. I play it now and then and think it still sounds really vital. I'd kill for a modern rock band to put out something half as good as it.

A + E is a bit long and the harmonies break up the flow for me. Fair dos if they made sense to J and in that regard I respect them being there. I just think a really concise and direct ten-song album might have kicked way more than the album we have. Most of this is down to the fact that I was really was blown away by the Acoustic Mainlines versions of the songs which was our first introduction to them. Following those 2006-7 shows, I expected the album to be in a similar vein- very stripped down and direct. For me the prime example is Sitting on Fire- give me the itunes festival version over the album track any day. But despite these minor gripes, the good stuff on there is very good - Death take your fiddle, Soul on Fire, You lie you cheat, Don't hold me close, Borrowed Your Gun. And of course, Goodnight Goodnight.

I loved SWSL when it came out but it is the album I return to the least. I love Hey Jane, I am what I am and Headin' for the top. Jason doesn't make bad albums, but this is definitely the one that gets the least rotation. Still, I can recall it coming out and where I was at at the time and listening to it always takes me back to how I felt then. Serves to reinforce just important all his work is to me.

And yeah, ANH is probably my favourite since LICD. Really moving and beautiful.

As always, very excited and curious to hear the new album that is apparently already in the bag and ready to go. Ready when you are, J!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Yeah i`m gonna have AG over A & E and SHSL if was pushed, I agree with Heisenberg that it gets an unfair shake sometimes, definitely has some of my fav Spiritualized tunes on it
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Still think 'life is a problem' is a pretty neat song!
"Thank you"