Mark Lanegan Band : Blues Funeral

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Mark Lanegan Band : Blues Funeral

Post by TheWarmth »

Has anyone else heard this? I've got it on for the first time and it's fucking HEAVY!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Mark Lanegan Band : Blues Funeral

Post by BzaInSpace »

It's released over here on my birthday (nice one!) so not heard it yet, but with anything Lanegan is involved in - especially his own stuff - I'm looking forward to listening.
O P 8
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

has it leaked?
p much the only album i'm super excited for these days. the tracks released so far are brilliant.

usually 4ad are p good about not letting things leak...
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BugTomek
New user

Post by BugTomek »

johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

.....and on Mojo too (just in case the other one goes whoopsy-up)

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2012/01/ ... bands.html
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

....in other words it has leaked...

&...... imo....... it's merely another GREAT Mark Lanegan & Markl Lanegan Band album. i'm beginning to think this guy has the best rock catalogue of any grunge era + rock artist. to me, everty solo/MLB effort has been terrific & Whiskey & Bubblegum are specifically excellent works.

this newest one is a bit of a departure, perhaps having more in-common w/themore modern rock of bubblegum than the psych/americana of his earlier, folkier records.
initially i was perturbed by the sythns n poppier shit - i took an instant dislike to Grey Goes Black.
but almost as suddenly i cherished these changes. & this has stuck. tho i still retain misgivings about Riot in my House, GGB has become one of my favourites on the album. however i am left w the feeling this stuff won't sustain as long as his more 'organic' less 'electronic' side, for whatever that's worth - i just don't feel the power of Pendulum or the like in this album especially in its centre.

in spite of my concerns i do think a LOT of the songs measure up & rival some of his finest moments - the first 4 (espcially the first two) while all of Ode to Sad Disco, Phantasmagoria Blues & Harbourview Hospital somehow live up & surpass their already awesome titles.

my real complaint tho is i don't believe it's truely as 'heavy' as either thewarmth or indeed lanegan believe. in certain respects the title Blues Funeral is apt, but it a lot of respects the album actually fails to measure up to that, & ultimately to the hype it own's & that IS a disappointment. a minor one.

it's not as perfect as whiskey but it's still p great.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jack white wrote: i'm beginning to think this guy has the best rock catalogue of any grunge era + rock artist.
Beginning? Without a question he has the best catalog of them all. I think he commands great respect from many of his colleagues too. 'Whiskey...', 'Field Songs', 'Scraps...' and 'Bubblegum' are all perfect LP's. His work with Isobel Campbell is also great. But then again, I always thought the Screaming Trees were the best Seattle/grunge band...so I'm biased.

I haven't heard this new stuff...I'm holding tight until the official record comes out.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I only have the 1st 2 solos he did many years ago so this is the first stuff I've heard from ML since Soulsavers. I have to say this album sounds great. I realise the pop element might put off long term fans but the songs are all good - many excellent - and this direction works. A couple of drum machine tracks go into slightly cheesey pop areas ('Ode To Sad Disco') but these songs still have strong tunes and Mark's trademark gravelly voice sounds as good as ever. An early candidate for the album of the year perhaps.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

redcloud wrote: I always thought the Screaming Trees were the best Seattle/grunge band...so I'm biased.
Well they were certainly the BIGGEST! And I agree, They were the best.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Just to be clear, you guys are saying that the Screaming Trees were better than Nirvana?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote:Just to be clear, you guys are saying that the Screaming Trees were better than Nirvana?
Yep!

Back then I always thought they were better than Nirvana and today, 20+ years later, I still stand by it. The Trees were a phenomenal band and, imho, criminally underrated at the time.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Admittedly I was never a big Nirvana fan. Back then I prefered Mudhoney over Nirvana. They were certainly more fun.
I would rank Love Battery as the second best Seattle area grunge band behind Screaming Trees.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

My Lanegan collection only extends to Field Songs and Bubblegum, plus the first album with Isobel Campbell and the bits and pieces with QOTSA. I love Bubblegum and Field Songs, a lot, even if Bubblegum is slightly overlong. Which other solo albums rates alongside those two? The Whiskey album is always up there when he's spoken about.

Listening to the new one now via the link above. Only on track 3 but it's sounding very good. Really love the Muddy Water track.....ooh and now St Louis Elegy is now on, very good indeed, great vibe to it. Only gets a 6/10 on the DiS website but then it's not a very good review at all.

As for the grunge thing: Mudhoney for me, then and now, but that's only going on Super Fuzz and the self titled, after which I'd moved onto new musical pastures anyway. I think I only ever had the one 12" by Screaming Trees so can't really comment on them that much.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

For Mark Lanegan Whiskey for The Holy Ghost is a classic. The Winding Sheet as well. Also Screaming Trees- Buzz Factory, Uncle Anasthesia, Sweet Oblivion and Dust are well worth checking out.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

http://thequietus.com/articles/07817-ma ... kers-dozen

Big lover of Joy Division and New Order - which helps explain the dance beat on Ode To Sad Disco.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Quite a varied list. Glad to see my favorite Roxy Music Lp Country Life validated. #3 too!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:Just to be clear, you guys are saying that the Screaming Trees were better than Nirvana?
Yep!

Back then I always thought they were better than Nirvana and today, 20+ years later, I still stand by it. The Trees were a phenomenal band and, imho, criminally underrated at the time.
I played Sweet Oblivion recently and every song on that is excellent. I was struck, for the umpteenth time, that it is a complete mystery why it didn't sell more as it's an absoplutelty classic - easily as good as Nevermind, maybe better. There was a huge amount of promotion at the time - limited packages, ads all over the place - as the label obviously thought they'd be massive, but no one was interested. A real shame as they were a great band
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Bubblegum is one of my favourite albums by anybody - I like the fact there's so much variety, runs through a whole selection of styles with really only that voice holding it all down. Too long? Nah. There's just more to digest. Would I leave anything off it? Nope. It works better with minor gems such as the eerie titletrack buried in there. It feels like a double album...

I'm avoiding reading any of the previews about this album - Mark Lanegan's recorded output is to me of such a high quality and really, means so much to me that I'm looking forward to the arrival (hopefully!) of my pre-order of Blues Funeral on monday, and to savour the whole thing in a suitable 'ambience'. (Listening to it streamed has no appeal to me at all.)

I can't think of anything that Lanegan has been musically involved with which is not pretty much great - his solo records are just fucking amazing. The early acoustic ones are just awesome. A real favourite of mine is his covers album I'll Take Care Of You. Genius really.

Were Screaming Trees better than Nirvana? No - but Dust might be a better record than Nevermind though. Definitely on a par. Other than the Nirvana stuff for me the greatest music from 'The Grunge Years' would be... actually, this might be best in a new thread. :idea:
O P 8
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I can't think of a bad solo LP by Lanegan. He has done himself proud with his releases. Don't forget 'Scraps at Midnight' and 'Weird Chill EP'. Some wonderful music on those records too. Just so, so good. Whiskey soaked, heroin coated, cigarette burned blues that just pours emotion and immense power.

The only stuff I haven't really taken too are the Twilight Singers. But, this is more Greg Dulli's project. I've seen them 2 or 3 times with Lanegan and I own an album by them but I preferred his work with Isobel Campbell, which he was doing at the same time. Never really got into QOTSA. But, I haven't really investigated them either.

I agree with Alan on Mudhoney. But, I will throw in Green River's EP too. Both bands (Mudhoney and GR) had that Stooges/MC5 vibe and the Trees just had that incredible chunky, swirly, layered psychedelic guitar with Lanegan's voice. All of it appealed more to my ears than did Nirvana. But, I did like Nirvana too I just don't go back and listen to them like I continue to do with the Screaming Trees records.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BzaInSpace wrote:Bubblegum is one of my favourite albums by anybody - I like the fact there's so much variety, runs through a whole selection of styles with really only that voice holding it all down. Too long? Nah. There's just more to digest. Would I leave anything off it? Nope. It works better with minor gems such as the eerie titletrack buried in there. It feels like a double album...
Songs like the title track, Bombed, Come To Me are what make it a great album for me. I had it on the go this morning coming into work and the first two thirds is an amazing record but then it slightly loses it's way a little bit, still great but not as. If it had to lose a track or two then I'd put Can't Come Down on the list, possibly Out Of Nowhere too, although the piano in the sounded pretty good this morn. I just find that it's a tiring listen come the last few songs, but I bet if I listened to those songs first or on their own then they'd be pretty damn good.

Walking down the street with Methamphetamine Blues on the go, haha, wow, makes you feel like swaggering granite. The mention of the 'Weird Chill' EP had me look it up just now as I've not got that one. So it features a cover of Beefhearts Clear Spot, nice one. Could be one to drop in the Amazon basket. I do fancy choosing another one of his for my collection so feel free to holler an essential. Also, are the next two albums after the debut, with Isobel Campbell, worth the price?

Also, I much prefer PJ Harvey in that "Hit The City" kind of mode than her war time/poetry strum alongs.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

ANY polly jean is alright by me.

i've been taking BF to the gym w/me &, to use the parlance of our times, it's been kicking my ass. Ode to Sad Disco is just mega, Them fused w/krautrock & the dark angel of grunge at his brooding best. oh it's glorious!

so excited for this upcoming tour.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

BzaInSpace wrote:...I'm looking forward to the arrival (hopefully!) of my pre-order of Blues Funeral on monday, and to savour the whole thing in a suitable 'ambience'.
OK. So finally had a chance to listen back and soak it in. First thoughts - more electronics this time, maybe less of the stark acoustic guitars. That voice in total panorama mostly. Dark poetic lyrics. Ornate if spared back production. Mmm...
'Ode To Sad Disco' has been picked out already here and I can hear why. The title is perfect (could it be an oblique reference to the third song on The Perfect Prescription?) and it's beautiful melody has totally wormed its way into my heart, almost immediately. Haunting and inspirational. Wow...

The Voice never fails. So far, it's maybe just merely great and possibly not as good as Bubblegum (then again, what is?) but upon one solid listen I'm ruling nothing out.

Also - 'Phantasmagoria Blues' is another song about Jane. Fantastic. :wink:
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

spzretent wrote:Just came across this.
http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/m ... rk_lanegan
Great stuff - cheers Alan. Band sound superb and the take on 'Ode To Sad Disco' rocks in it's own melancholic way. He sounds like a very humble guy in the interview. This is the same place that had that acoustic version of Spiritualized back in 2003 or whatever. Some of the answers he gives are classic:

"Well.... I had to call it something"

Less than a month til the Glasgow show... :D
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BzaInSpace wrote: 'Ode To Sad Disco' has been picked out already here and I can hear why. The title is perfect (could it be an oblique reference to the third song on The Perfect Prescription?) and it's beautiful melody has totally wormed its way into my heart, almost immediately. Haunting and inspirational. Wow...
This interview will answer that for you, but no, it's not a reference to anything Spacemen related http://www.self-titledmag.com/home/2012 ... more-23250.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

how good is this album? .... very ,very, very good ,been listening all week after Amazon or the Post Office lost my first copy and had to despatch another after making me wait until the 16th in case it was way laid or something ,but loving it maybe his best to these ears ,roll on the 9th of March.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I still have yet to buy it. But, I just got paid so I will buy it and tickets to his Portland show this weekend.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like the heavy, guitar driven material on this, but I still don't like most of the tracks with programmed rhythm tracks. I heard a song on the radio last night, "Gray Goes Black," and thought it sounded pretty average. I have nothing against electronic drums and beats, but the ones on this album strike me as very plain. "Riot In My House" and "Gravedigger's Song" are the tracks that appeal to me.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Picked this up yesterday. I have listened to it at least four times now and I am REALLY liking this. I honestly have no problem with the drum machine beats. They don't sound as an after thought nor do they sound cold or out of place with the music. The whole album just seems to have a deep, swirling, broody atmosphere that is so warm, emotional and at times...menacing.

I really love the whole album but the tunes that have stand out at me are 'Phantasmagoria Blues', 'Leviathan, 'Deep Black Vanishing Train' and 'Tiny Grain of Truth'.

Definitely a great first impression and so, so good to hear the man doing HIS thing rather than guesting with Campbell or Dulli.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mods: Feel free to move this post to the gigs section if you wish. Just figured more people would read it here.

Saw him in Dublin last night. Even though i was a fan of the Screaming Trees i'd never bothered to check out the solo material, it seemed there was always a more pressing release that grabbed my attention rather than picking up a Lanegan album. I did get Ballad of the Broken Seas but found it boring, not the Lee and Nancy vibe i was expecting at all.

Anyways, last night? Yeah good gig. Going by what's been written here about the new material i took a guess as to which songs were the new ones and if my guesswork was correct then that new album sounds like something i should pick up. There wasn't a lot of overtly electronic beats used during the set, only one song where it really stood out. I have to admit he lost me for a few songs in the middle but i got back into it again. Something about Muddy Waters was a particular highlight. He played about 1hr 20min and the support came from Creature With The Atom Brain, which was a nice bonus as i'd often wondered what they sounded like, pretty decent and two of them played in Lanegan's backing band too.

A few things struck me though: I'd love to hear him do a Smog covers album as i think his voice would go brilliantly with Bill Callahan's lyrics plus he did seem to use similar phrasing at times.
Also, he reminded me of Ron Pearlman or a weirdly intense Will Ferrell! :wink:

Would i recommend a casual listener to go see him? Sure. Would i go see him again? Probably, but not if i had a load of other gigs to go to around the same time. For me personally I don't think he'd make the cut.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I've seen him just the once, with Isobel Campbell when their first album came out. I found it all completely lacking I must admit. Good but nowhere near as good as I was expecting. Hardly any onstage chemistry or charsima. I found it a real shame but that was evened up by fact I loved the support guy William Elliott Whitmore who had what I was hoping for in the headline act.

As for Blues Funeral, I ended up taking my copy back. I've got Field Songs & Bubblegum and I didn't find the new one to be any better than those, esp Bubblegum, so it was one of those cd's I knew I wouldn't really play. Few great songs but not the classic it's been written about to be in my opinion. I exchanged it for Beach House 'Teen Dream' and a Nina Simone cd in Fopp, both of which have made me much happier.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

[Also, he reminded me of Ron Pearlman or a weirdly intense Will Ferrell! :wink:

That Ron Pearlman lookalike is a great shout, thought that for a while :lol:
'Remember, change is not good'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I saw him fronting Soulsavers at a tiny club in Cleveland a few years ago and it was amazing. All I can say is that voice just took over the room. The two Soulsavers records with him on them are some of my favorite records not only that he has done but of the past few years.
I am not as sold on Blues Funeral as others who post here but I cant wait to see him in May here.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I've seen him several times live. Once on 'Bubblegum' tour, once with just an acoustic guitarist accompanying him, twice with Isobel and twice with Greg Dulli and Twilight Singers and once with Dulli again calling themselves the Gutter Twins. I agree about the lack of chemistry between him and Campbell. I was really surprised. She seemed nervous, he just stood and did his thing. I was hoping or expecting much more from them but nope. When I caught them the second time around it was much the same although Isobel seemed more comfortable to be on stage with him and she even sat down with a harp.

The Twilight Singers were ok but that is very much Dulli's band and Lanegan only came on for a few songs then went off. I'm not a big fan of the TS so I didn't know many of their songs. I felt like I was waiting for Lanegan's moments. Same with the Gutter Twins.

The 'Bubblegum' tour was fantastic, the music bruising and uncompromising. It was a great mixture with his older material from 'FS' and 'Whiskey' interlaced into the set. The acoustic gig he did last year was sublime, incredible and although there was no stage action you could just close your eyes and be lifted with his voice, which worked gorgeously with the acoustic guitar. I am very, very glad he is coming back with just his band so he can play his songs.

Regarding the new album...some of the songs sound like they could have been floating around since the 'Bubblegum' sessions. But, then others feel very fresh. I have the cd but if it were broken up into sides it is side two from 'Phantasmagoria Blues' onwards where I think the real magic jumps out.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

johnnyboy wrote: As for Blues Funeral, I ended up taking my copy back. I've got Field Songs & Bubblegum and I didn't find the new one to be any better than those, esp Bubblegum, so it was one of those cd's I knew I wouldn't really play. Few great songs but not the classic it's been written about to be in my opinion.
:shock: Wow. I bought Bubblegum and have struggled with it to be honest, but Blues Funeral is probably the best new album I've heard this year. Every song just has that vibe that coaxes me in with charm and all round quality song-writing...
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

runcible wrote:
johnnyboy wrote: As for Blues Funeral, I ended up taking my copy back. I've got Field Songs & Bubblegum and I didn't find the new one to be any better than those, esp Bubblegum, so it was one of those cd's I knew I wouldn't really play. Few great songs but not the classic it's been written about to be in my opinion.
:shock: Wow. I bought Bubblegum and have struggled with it to be honest, but Blues Funeral is probably the best new album I've heard this year. Every song just has that vibe that coaxes me in with charm and all round quality song-writing...
....and that's the beauty of music and opinion right there. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

I'll prob revisit it at some point, as it does sit on my ipod ((OK, I know it's wrong to copy and take back a cd, but I always copy a cd to my ipod before I've even listened to it for much of my listening is done on the go commuting)). I just found the album to be lacking, something didn't quite click or sit right with me, lyrics were a tad 'cliched' or were of a vibe that I'd heard before from him many times over (yep, I know that's his thing & his wallowing in the dark persona - just like J Spaceman & Bobby G have their very own 'fridge magnet' words and phrases and what not). Don't get me wrong, some of Blues Funeral is great, but over the whole album, and at this point in time for me, I found it to be a bit of a drag. Even Bubblegum isn't 100% great for me but I do prefer it overall and some of Blues Funeral sounds like a leftover from that........as someone else touched on up there ^^
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

***SPOILER ALERT***

i saw him live last night. i won't reveal the setlist. i'll just say he was p great!
4th time i've seen him - 2nd time w/Mark Lanegan Band - & gotta tip my hat to the consistency of the guy. every time he conjures a simple & simply brilliant performance. last nite was no different.
& also sometimes you get it where the main guy takes a p weak touring band out on the road, no such worries w/this band. the keyboards & drummer particularly added to the glorious gloom. they did bring some Blues Funeral arrangements to a few older songs but it really worked splendidly & refreshed those songs.

&, stating the obvious, that voice is always jawdropping when live. it's like a torrent of gold every time he opens his mouth. a wonderful, precious thing.

don't miss him.
wish i was heading to the dublin gig tonight just to experience that voice again nevermind the rest.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Seeing him in Leeds tomorrow - really looking forward to it now!

...and of course we're all going to have different opinions. If we all liked that same music it'd be a very dull world! I bought Bubblegum after Barry raved about it but I've yet to find the magic it apparently contains. I'll keep at it. The new album made me play a load of older Trees stuff recently which is always a good thing to do.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jack white wrote: no such worries w/this band. the keyboards & drummer particularly added to the glorious gloom.

wish i was heading to the dublin gig tonight just to experience that voice again nevermind the rest.
The keyboardist and drummer both played with the support band, Creature With The Atom Brain.

You'd have been in for a disappointment if you went to the Dublin gig tonight as it was on Wednesday night! :)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

what a dummy!
completely missed your post at the top.

i sadly missed Creature w/Atom Brain, got to gig too late. i'd really wanted to see them.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Been mad busy otherwise I woulda posted before - we saw Mark Lanegan Band on Friday night in Glasgow's ABC and it was fucking awesome. Thoroughly enjoyed it - his band were tight without being flashy and were more than able to bring to life the recorded versions of his songs. At times they were as heavy as they needed to be, other points they played delicately enough to suite the slower 'ballads'.

And I haven't even mentioned THAT voice - it hung over everything and it was a genuine pleasure just hearing this guy sing. Every bit as rough and wild as the records but more so. Amazing.

This stuff was sounding fantastic, was so pleased he played a lot of my favourites from Bubblegum including 'Hit The City' (Yay! Missed PJ's backing vocals though), 'Wedding Dress', 'Methamphetamine Blues' and best of all, the truly beautiful 'One Hundred Days'. I was well stoked when they started playing that although seemingly in an entirely different key which suddenly switched back to 'normal' - Mark's singing included - not sure if this was a mistake or not, it sounded way too precise. I have waited a long time to hear that song live and it totally hit the fucking spot! The new album tracks were sounding fantastic as well and special mention must go to the spine-chilling 'Ode To Sad Disco' which may have got the biggest cheers of the night.

Better yet was the fact that me, the Mrs and our pal went and met the great man himself afterwards: he wrote a beautiful and touching dedication over the cover of the viny edition of Blues Funeral to me and my better half. Had a chat with him, what a sincere and kind gentleman he is.

I must also say that unlike poor Runcible's horrible and nightmarish experience the following night in Leeds, this was another night proving why I like the ABC so much - easy going staff and security, perfectly fair and quick service (at least from the side bar we were in beforehand) and despite the gig being sold out there was always room to move around. Plus the sound in there is great. Now, a week on Thursday, hoping that incoming show will top the infamous October 2008 insanity... :wink:
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

BzaInSpace wrote:Been mad busy otherwise I woulda posted before - we saw Mark Lanegan Band on Friday night in Glasgow's ABC and it was fucking awesome. Thoroughly enjoyed it - his band were tight without being flashy and were more than able to bring to life the recorded versions of his songs. At times they were as heavy as they needed to be, other points they played delicately enough to suite the slower 'ballads'.

And I haven't even mentioned THAT voice - it hung over everything and it was a genuine pleasure just hearing this guy sing. Every bit as rough and wild as the records but more so. Amazing.

This stuff was sounding fantastic, was so pleased he played a lot of my favourites from Bubblegum including 'Hit The City' (Yay! Missed PJ's backing vocals though), 'Wedding Dress', 'Methamphetamine Blues' and best of all, the truly beautiful 'One Hundred Days'. I was well stoked when they started playing that although seemingly in an entirely different key which suddenly switched back to 'normal' - Mark's singing included - not sure if this was a mistake or not, it sounded way too precise. I have waited a long time to hear that song live and it totally hit the fucking spot! The new album tracks were sounding fantastic as well and special mention must go to the spine-chilling 'Ode To Sad Disco' which may have got the biggest cheers of the night.

Better yet was the fact that me, the Mrs and our pal went and met the great man himself afterwards: he wrote a beautiful and touching dedication over the cover of the viny edition of Blues Funeral to me and my better half. Had a chat with him, what a sincere and kind gentleman he is.

I must also say that unlike poor Runcible's horrible and nightmarish experience the following night in Leeds, this was another night proving why I like the ABC so much - easy going staff and security, perfectly fair and quick service (at least from the side bar we were in beforehand) and despite the gig being sold out there was always room to move around. Plus the sound in there is great. Now, a week on Thursday, hoping that incoming show will top the infamous October 2008 insanity... :wink:
got to second most of this ,fantastic gig last friday,thought the band were really good especially the be-quiffed guitarist,really pleased to see the sold out signs for Lanegan( kinda surprised really ) because he deserves it and yeah the ABC is a great venue looking forward to next thursday,wonder if that will be sold out?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I ws just given the vinyl by a friend today. All I ever heard was the free download once.
This is so good.
That voice.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Tonight I realize having a physical record/cd really means something(at least to me). It means I am invested in this release.
I guess you can download as much music as you want. I had only heard this from the free link thru Exclaim Magazine.
Playing the vinyl was a revelation tonight and yes, this is a definite contender for album of the year so far.
:D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Tonight I realize having a physical record/cd really means something(at least to me). It means I am invested in this release.
I guess you can download as much music as you want. I had only heard this from the free link thru Exclaim Magazine.
Playing the vinyl was a revelation tonight and yes, this is a definite contender for album of the year so far.
I totally agree on all of the above!

I bought the cd simply because the LP was $27.99 and the cd was $12. A wonderful album though and I absolutely love 'Phantasmagoria Blues', 'Leviathan', 'Deep Black Vanishing Train' and 'Tiny Grain of Truth'.
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

anyone doesnt own this is missing out
anyone that pirates it is an asshole
MARK LANEGAN IS THE MAN
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

spzretent wrote:Tonight I realize having a physical record/cd really means something(at least to me). It means I am invested in this release.
It means a lot! It's saying that you believe in the artist and enjoy his or her material enough to support them, which is happening less and less these days. I always buy physical copies of albums that I like and listen to regularly. It's a shame that vinyl can be so pricey, though. $28 is really a lot to ask for one full-length album.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its between $22 and $25 around here.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I dont know what is gonna knock this out of my rotation.
Tiny Grain Of Truth? What a way to end an LP.
The whole of Side 3(vinyl) Phantasmagoria Blues, Quiver Syndrome and Harborview Hospital(where some I know works and someone I know died. Odd. Weird).
So good.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I was listening to this in the car today. Boy oh boy, it really is a great album and it keeps getting better and better with every listen.

The whole album is superb but for me it is still 'Phantasmagoria Blues' onwards that just keep kicking my ass. At the moment 'Leviathan' is the tune for me.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

in the USA, digital download is $9.99 on Amazon, or $12.99 here
http://www.discogs.com/mp3/Mark-Lanegan ... 6?ev=dg-b2
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

French tv channel Canal put the UK stations to shame by putting on a Mark Lanegan Band session ,this is a superb version of Ode To Sad Disco ,links to the rest of the session are down the right hand side ,amazing version ,going to see him again next month canny wait :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnkkCok_ ... re=related
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Nice clips! So that's what they look like! Didn't see them at all when I attended the Leeds show earlier this year...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I think that video sails fairly close to the studio version.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Full video of last weeks set at La Route Du Rock: http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/Mark_La ... e_du_Rock/

Dunno why, but Spiritualized's set seems to be the only one not working. :roll:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I have been on a major Mark Lanegan trip since hearing Blues Funeral. I bought Hawk by Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan a while back and was stunned by it. Anyway, I wandered into HMV in Liverpool today for the first time in months and they have "Keep Me in Mind Sweetheart" and "Sunday at Devil Dirt"at 2 for £10. They are punting out second CDs at £2 a pop and had a bunch of interesting stuff that I also bought.

Who would have thought it? HMV in good music at cheap price shock!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

My girlfriend had a bit of a clearout this week and found a Bubblegum cd which she knew nothing about! :D

We shall be seeing Lanegan this Friday at the Electric Picnic just 15 minutes after Roots Manuva :D 8)
HorizonRadar
Known user

Post by HorizonRadar »

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Lanegan has released a Christmas EP, 'Dark Mark Does Christmas' :lol:

It's a tour only release but it's floating about in internet land.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

For anyone who cares, there's a new Lanegan collaboration album out in May http://marklanegan.com/

Apologies for clogging up the Blues Funeral thread with Lanegan odds and sods but I'd rather do that than start multiple threads on a variety of releases.