Hey Jane / Album Art (Pitchfork)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

purespace
Known user

Re: Hey Jane / Album Art (Pitchfork)

Post by purespace »

Unexpected and brilliant! Two thumbs way up 8)
I think I feel it coming on
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

sm-iom wrote:Definitely 'arty'

dunno about this accusation. doesn't smack of the same pretension some of Spz's other promo's do - like say the LICD era.

this one i think is much more grounded. (literally, re: Do It All Over).
it seems more like a vignette from Grand Theft Auto spliced w/The Wire rather than anything too "arty".
gonna burn brightly
for a while
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Definitely not “arty”, that’s fucking genius...

As said before I don’t think the film has anything to do with the song but the two go together well.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

really great video. I like it.

It made me think of The Wire too
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The video has been removed!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Drat I missed it! I think Domino said it was being released tomorrow, so not too long to wait.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I knew it wouldn't last long on youtube due to subject matter/scenes. I do think it's a movie made for the song and after the song was recorded (passing observations, the red light blinking in time at the 1/2 way point, the prolonged shot of her walking to the motel room, all in time to the beat, not easy to do in a casual fashion). This is an incredible vignette made for the song IMHO.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

The full video can be found here (at time of posting):

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/03/v ... jane-nsfw/
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

:D Did they make this video especially for Sunny?! Did Julliette make it?

It's no secret I have a bit of a thing for the drag queens... it's what I waste my nights on. Really.
And I rooted for Tyra for that Dragrace! I wonder if that's her real kid in the video?

Didn't know Spz were 'into' this craziness too. But hey, why the hell not! Drag queens and rock'n'roll have a long standing relationship... just ask Iggy, Little Richard, Lou Reed and list goes on and on and on...
(although-the subject matter of the video isn't exactly light hearted)

Jason and Juliette I salute you!
x
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
somakoma
Known user

Post by somakoma »

sunny wrote::D Did they make this video especially for Sunny?!
:? I think it´s pretty obvious they made this video for somakoma;

I posted this 16 days ago:
somakoma wrote: are Rugby boys not macho enough to wear a dress?
I have listened to him longer than half my life.. fucker owes me a little crossdressing the way I see it.
It´s only rock´n´roll.. don´t have to wear it every day like its inventor (little richard)
They clearly appreciated me calling Jason a fucker and used my idea. ( I guess I didn´t specify clearly enough that I wanted the crossdressing to be made by J. himself in person)
Anyway, I´m kind of impressed they made this from scratch in just two weeks..
It is not exactly what I ordered them to do.. but it´s ok.. some creative freedom.. :D

I wanted jason to be in drag but it´s ok if you sometimes don´t do exactly what I tell you to... ok this time :wink:
maybe I should consider the fact that J doesn´t play the lead himself an answer to my question about rugby boys?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Quite a moving piece of cinema meets Spiritualized. A short story shot and directed for the single as someone else pointed out.
Disturbing yes. Beautifully shot. And it works amazingly well.
Excellent job Juliette/Jason.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Quite a disturbing video but certainly one with impact. I see no point in many music videos these days - they are generally pointless, but this was a lot more interesting. The fact you could hear some of the dialogue from it was an interesting touch.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Agreed! I confess not to seeing the end coming. The music worked with it so well... beautifully shot and intense!

Love it. 8)
O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Guess i'm the only one who thinks they are very mismatched... on their own, both are glorious pieces of work, but i don't think they sit together well... :? Maybe it reflects the pointlessness of music vids in that there is no correlation between the audio and visual any more.

Oh well, each to their own...
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Yeah, I sorta zoned out from the song towards the end, but then it's hard not to! It's a great little film, mind.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

wonderin' what bunnyben makes of it.........
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Just saw the video today and didn't think very much of it really. Maybe pairing it with Hey Jane is a little incongrous, it just didn't work for me overall. I don't really care for most videos anyway so....
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: The fact you could hear some of the dialogue from it was an interesting touch.
I've always disliked that in music videos. I want to hear the tune not anything else.

Not sure about the vid really, watched it on Sunday and haven't felt the inclination to look at it since.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:Yeah, I sorta zoned out from the song towards the end, but then it's hard not to! It's a great little film, mind.
But the whole point of the video was pairing a work of film, with a song that inspired it - that is surely the unique feature of music videos vs. film soundtracks.

If you want wasted opportunities, remember that homemade/handmade/diy-esque film that passed for the official video which accompanied the awesome song 'Cheapster'.- it lacked so much, yet didn't detract from the song, regardless.

Sorry if your attention span can't hold for 10 mins....have you seen 'The Artist'?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

I meant the sight and sound of a drag queen being savagely beaten in a motel room is enough to momentarily distract from a song I have listened to rather a lot, but thanks for patronising me anyway. :roll:
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I forced myself to watch the video tonight. After reading some commentary on it I was convinced it wouldn't be to my liking. I was hoping for something a bit lighter. I know this will be the only time I will watch it. One interesting thing from the video I thought was the involvement of children. I think Jason may have been juxtaposing the innocence of children with the dark dirty world of the adults in the video. But I may be reading too much into it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I just watched this and am still processing it. Ironically with all the other noises in the film and the dark subject matter it actually made me focus even more so on the song's lyrics.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I agree that the director was juxtaposing the classic image of childhood innocence with the more violent images that followed, with a denouement that then confused the two - giving more musical reference to the whole 'Huh?' concept.

I never meant to patronise - but I thought the savage beating nicely combined with the music, specifically the lyrics repeating 'Sweet heart, sweet light, sweet heart, love of my life' was a fascinating contrast.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

redcloud wrote:I just watched this and am still processing it. Ironically with all the other noises in the film and the dark subject matter it actually made me focus even more so on the song's lyrics.

When he's singin' 'Hey Jane when you gonna die?' during the beating -- that part was such a great match up, -- the contrast of the lyrics/sound of the song is already pretty great, and adding that imagery on top of it just made it even more intense.

I started to write something, but then I saw it was pretty much already written!
mojo filters wrote: I thought the savage beating nicely combined with the music, specifically the lyrics repeating 'Sweet heart, sweet light, sweet heart, love of my life' was a fascinating contrast.
Like you said, I thought that was just sort of brilliant/perfect as the video/song are sort of climaxing simultaneously and the contrast between the two tones just works so well. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have to admit I sort of saw the end comin' but then when I immediately went back to rewatch the whole thing this, I couldn't for some reason. Just rewatched it and even though it feels all a little obvious to me once you've seen it, it was still pretty great. Makes me love the song even more.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Maybe Im thinking too much into this but is it about influence/s and for the video how it only takes one action to influence another. A nod to our current mixed up, violent culture escalating out of control toward impending disastrous consequences and the kids left to pay the price of our actions :?

anyway...what a rush.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

video was dedicated to this man, found his story interesting:
http://clclt.com/vibes/archives/2012/03 ... -at-age-48
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

Hedspace wrote:Maybe Im thinking too much into this but is it about influence/s and for the video how it only takes one action to influence another. A nod to our current mixed up, violent culture escalating out of control toward impending disastrous consequences and the kids left to pay the price of our actions :?

anyway...what a rush.
I agree with your words, Hedspace. It's certainly an intense and disturbing video. Not one I'd associate with the song. But that's Jason I guess, making everyone think one thing and doing something totally different.

Nice one.
Hey Jayne
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Second Thoughts

I've been thinking about the video for awhile now and I've come to some new conclusions.

1. I like that the protagonist is a messed up drag queen, hooker, mother/father. It brings to mind the messed up protagonist in Come Together. Jason seems to care about the losers in our society, which I think is cool.

2. My first impression was that the film wasn't easy to watch, but I think Jason wasn't aiming to make the video easy to watch. It was a serious attempt to make a film for a serious subject.

3. I like the end metaphorically, but at face value it raises some difficult questions for me, which I won't bring up now because I don't want to ruin it for people who haven't seen it yet.

Well those are my thoughts right now.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think that Jason would have been quite hands off with the video myself- Juliette probably took care of most of it

btw going from the names in the credits I think the kid is the main characters real life son too
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I just saw that Rolling Stone did a short review on Hey Jane. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/songr ... e-20120320 They only gave it 3 out of 5 stars. While I was looking that up I saw they did a review on a new Dr. John song. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/songr ... n-20120322 That one they gave 4 stars. I haven't listened to any Dr. John yet, but I had heard of his connections with Jason. It's interesting they have music coming out at the same time. Maybe I'll give this Revolution song a listen. I just listened to it and it sounds good, but I like Hey Jane better.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

Got an email earlier from Domino saying my Hey Jane single has been despatched :)
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Me too! Can't wait to see it. Very excited about the new record too. I am what I am is sounding great on the BBC 6 session - dying to hear the studio version.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

postie has just dropped this off :)
Attachments
hey jane.jpg
hey jane.jpg (34.81 KiB) Viewed 8393 times
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Looks great! Can't wait to get mine. I still feel like the optical art is more of a Sonic Boom/Spectrum trademark, at this point, but maybe that's just me.

Is the artwork credited to Farrow?
Last edited by TheWarmth on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

The Artwork is not credited at all.

Oh, an ad popped up on my farcebook page referring to Hey Jane as being the first single. I guess that implies they'll be another!

Lovely 7" single - it looks superb.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I'm talking shit - just found the credits - it's a Farrow / Spaceman design.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

TheWarmth wrote:I still like the optical art is more of a Sonic Boom/Spectrum trademark, at this point, but maybe that's just me.
I agree. But this does look great going round on the t/table - has Sonic ever put the optical art on the record labels (I don't own any Sonic/Spectrum vinyl)

Edit - just realised I'm talking shit too now. I have Sonic's Spectrum LP on vinyl and that has op art on the label on one side. Also just found that the plastic sleeve for the True Love.... 7" goes very brittle over time :evil:

On another note, I have a Rega Planar 3 t/table (from '80s) and often find that it is a very tight fit getting the vinyl onto the spindle (Hey Jane is *very* tight!)

Post by solarflarez »

....and the Spectrum LP has op art on the label i think?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The EAR album "Worn To A Shadow" is black and white op art 12" vinyl. Beautiful. 8)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

So now this record has two titles! :lol:

The point about the sizing of the artwork is interesting. Jason always thinks a bunch about the artwork, I'd happily read an interview just about that.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Now I'm curious to see the back cover and the inside of the gatefold LP sleeve.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

"I'd like to be able to say they've got some redeeming qualities, but there aren't really any-- except that I got better!"

i'd say that was a pretty fantastic quality for a medical drug!

"It was like an enforced sobriety: I couldn't drink, couldn't do anything I would normally do." - not the thi8ng to do with liver problems- remember when he was ill last time- he said he felt f'ed up but was used to feeling like that. nit ideal but he makes great music- it would just be a shame not to get the next album out, and we know how long that will take :wink: long live mr spaceman!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Sweet HeART

Post by BzaInSpace »

J Spaceman wrote:"The other main thought behind it was that everybody has been moaning about the lack of 12" sleeves to put artwork on-- you know, the good old days when people made vinyl records. But I thought I'd make a piece of artwork that would work on a one-inch square. It doesn't matter how small that piece of work gets, it still looks amazing on a tiny little digital image..."
Genius!

and also... from way earlier in this thread
BzaInSpace wrote:...As I was saying to someone else here, I listen to music on the go a lot on my phone and I know that design will look cool and instantly recognisable scrolling past with all the other classics on the 'mobile jukebox'...
:wink:
O P 8
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

great interview. i started coming around to the album art last week- i drew it on the calendar dry-erase board on the 17th and it kind of makes me happy every time i see it. something i've been looking forward to for a long time. i think all of the 'huh?' street signs popping up is what won me over the most.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

"I was popping myself up with these chemicals everyday, so it felt like I wasn't right in my own head while I was making the record. "Huh?" was the best way to put that across; the cover also looks like a medical logo or a chemical symbol."

I love that he explained his motives for the cover. Sometimes artists just leave it up to the viewer/listener to figure out their own meanings. It's great imho when an artist opens up and explains their intentions.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Hey Jane gets single of the week in today's Guide in the Guardian. I think the single, tour and album are getting quite a lot of coverage actually.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Got back to London today to find my single waiting for me! The run out groove on Side B has 'Guy's Electric' written in it.... wonder what that's about?
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

received the 7" from Domino stateside today and am at a bit of a loss. It came with manufacturing squiggles/scratches on both sides, a vinyl bubble on side A making it unplayable, extra vinyl "straws" coming off the edges, and shipped inside the inner sleeve which tore through two sides during shipping. WTF?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Take pix and email them to Domino
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Sounds awful, Steve. I would definitely send them pictures. I haven't received mine yet, but now I'm hoping it comes intact...........
mn_spi
Known user

Post by mn_spi »

I received mine this afternoon.
the parcel was stained and the corner was broken, but the thing is the safety.
will listen!!
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

Sorry to hear about your messed up record. Have you contacted Domino about it yet?

Also, I thought the 7" didn't ship to the U.S. until September. Why are some people receiving them now?
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

My mate Bjorn is making a documentary about Tyra Sanchez and is looking to fund it via kickstarter:
Drag Dad is an independent documentary project about a six year old boy named Jeremiah and his father, the drag queen superstar named Tyra Sanchez. In 2010, Tyra Sanchez won the popular reality show RuPaul’s Drag Race, propelling Tyra and her creator James into stardom.

Capturing both the everyday and the sensational aspects of James’ dual existence as a drag queen and a parent, the film will examine James’s experience of leading these two contrastive lifestyles. What is it like for Jeremiah to have a dad who is sometimes a man and sometimes a woman? Is James any different a dad because he works as a female impersonator
you can support it here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bjornfloki/drag-dad (if you could pass on the word to friends it would be greatly appreciated too!)

more info here: http://dragdad.com
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I finally got my Hey Jane 7".

I think it was about June 9th - I sent Domino an email saying something along the lines that I hadn't received the 7" and if I should be worried. The was no response, but when I got home from my UK trip two weeks ago, I had a package waiting for me from Domino posted on June 11th. It was Hey Jane in pristine condition. I'm glad I finally got it!!!!!!!!!