Sylvester Anfang II

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Sylvester Anfang II

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone else have thoughts on this band? I just got the new LP, Perzische Tabijten, from Dom / The Great Pop Supplement in the mail today. I'll give it a listen as soon as possible. I have one of their other records, Commune Cassetten, which is cool, but not mind-blowing. I suppose I figured I'd give them another try, as the GPS releases are generally quality and nice pressings.
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Sylvester Anfang II

Post by TheWarmth »

Here's a review from Norman Records:

I recall reviewing an album by these lot years ago and it scared the shit out of me with its satanic sleeve which portrayed a load of naked torso’d men in KKK style headgear with a goat in some woodland. I know they’re only joshing but I had to go home afterwards and change my messed-up under-crackers. Belgians eh, they know how to make an Englishman weep. With this album my thoughts err more towards the cold glass of Duvel and waka-waka pipe end of things rather than the cold stone slab and bloody pentagram. This GPS release commences on one side with a squiffy tantric head-trip meander-thon that is totally perfect for this chilled Thursday morning. Lots of bubbling lava squelches, trippy organ circling around yr mind plus lush balmy percussion and bobbing bass. The jam suddenly cuts into another ace segment which features a more ragged psych guitar jam. Ambling and slightly wayward psychedelic mind-fauna, it works a treat. The last segment works beautifully too carrying a more exotic scent to its exploratory jam grooves. The subsequent side of this slab of enigmatic wax starts in a mystical cerebral style with a dense percussive carpet and ponderous bass carrying the Eastern vibe further into total sensual shamanic territory. Its a really understated work from this Flemish collective that has a smoking potency that will seep under your skin after a couple of listens, I think this exploratory style really suits them. Don’t fanny around here as both GPS and Sylvester Anfang titles never stick around for very long...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I've given up on paying any attention to the blurb from Norman, Aquarius, Piccadilly, Rocket, Thrill Jockey etc. as, just like Julian Cope's album reviews, they're full of hyperbolic nonsense convincing you that this is one of the greatest records you'll ever hear, it's damn essential and it's fucking trippped out man! Then you actually hear the thing and it's ok, it's alright, maybe one of the tunes is really good but in the end you're just left staring at a nice sleeve thinking "That wasn't what it said on the tin. Am i ever going to actually play this again?" :roll:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It sounds like your tastes don't like up with those particular reviewers. As far as I'm concerned, this sentence is pretty accurate: Lots of bubbling lava squelches, trippy organ circling around yr mind plus lush balmy percussion and bobbing bass.

I listened to the Anfang album last night and really dug dug it, at least until my wife made me turn it off. Apparently, it wasn't appropriate for the kids' dinner time.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I can't comment on the Sylvester Anfang album as i haven't heard it yet so that review may well be spot on.

What i was getting at were the reviews in general. I read all these things about a record that make it sound fantastic and right up my street but upon hearing the actual piece of music i usually find myself thinking it wasn't THAT good. Yes it's enjoyable but stop trying to pass it off as this ultimate mindfuck of a record that sounds like the perfect amalgamation of all our favourite bands. Does that make sense? Or am i just being picky?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:I can't comment on the Sylvester Anfang album as i haven't heard it yet so that review may well be spot on.

What i was getting at were the reviews in general. I read all these things about a record that make it sound fantastic and right up my street but upon hearing the actual piece of music i usually find myself thinking it wasn't THAT good. Yes it's enjoyable but stop trying to pass it off as this ultimate mindfuck of a record that sounds like the perfect amalgamation of all our favourite bands. Does that make sense? Or am i just being picky?
Er.. have you not realised they are trying to sell every album they have in stock? Do you think they are going to say 'this album is rubbish'?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Norman are pretty cool about giving honest opinions. I've definitely read negative reviews on their website and mail-outs.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Love Sylvester Anfang II def recommend there double LP on Aurora Borealis from a few years back