THE NOTORIOUS BYRD BROTHERS

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Intranaut
Known user

THE NOTORIOUS BYRD BROTHERS

Post by Intranaut »

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THEIR MIND BLOWN BY THIS INCREDIBLE RECORD?

lower case please.
moderator.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i quite like the extras on the cd that was out the other year. 'triad' is great. there's been comparisons drawn on here between i think i'm in love and draft morning, the intros are kind of similar (also, stranger by shack and tribal gathering ...). there's bits of the lp that don't really click, too many jet-roar style effects on bass guitars and all, for me.

i think i felt the same about the other byrds reissues, preferring rca and single versions of songs to the stuff on the actual lps.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Re: THE NOTORIOUS BYRD BROTHERS

Post by twentysixdollars »

Intranaut wrote:HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THEIR MIND BLOWN BY THIS INCREDIBLE RECORD?
Yes, in fact I might not-so-immodestly suggest that it was I who first mentioned it in these parts, many moons ago, to Stevie, who bought it and loved it, and who has now vanished, much as I have, although I shall return hopefully more frequently than he, whom we all miss.

But I never suggested that the Crosby tune in question was similar to I Think I'm In Love, which it may or may not be. What was agreed was that it sounds something like an outtake from Lazer Guided Melodies, like that version of Shine a Light perhaps, crossbred with Sway (which, by the way, has a lot to do with a certain Status Quo tune - one of the many shoddy rewrites of 'Matchstick Men'. Ditto Verve's "One Way to Go". The intros are identical. I think the bloodline is Quo-Jason-Nick, a sentence that no doubt has never been pronounced before.) Another cognate to the Byrds number: Lupine Howl's Sniff the Glue, from their first LP. Stevie heard that one, I think.

Of the first six Byrds albums at least four are essential. Younger Than Yesterday and Turn Turn Turn can be safely skipped but each feature essential moments.
Intranaut
Known user

Post by Intranaut »

YES, THE EXTRAS ON THE REISSUE ARE INTERESTING AT LEAST. I ESPECIALLY LOVE THE BAND DIALOG AT THE VERY END. A NICE GLIMPSE INTO THE WORKINGS OF A GREAT BAND AND QUITE FUNNY TO.

That should be a little better.
merry christmas.
moderator.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

I know it's been mentioned before, but.... dude - check the status of your caps lock key... Please.
Intranaut
Known user

Post by Intranaut »

I JUST "CHECKED THE STATUS" OF MY CAPS LOCK KEY AND REALIZED IT WAS ON. THANK GOD YOU ALERTED ME.

IS THIS REALLY A FUCKING PROBLEM FOR YOU?

Yes!
moderator and everyone else.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

No, it's a netiquette problem. I like to keep my fucking problems a private matter between myself and my psychotherapist.

The caps lock key really is the spawn of satan, and should be eradicated from every keyboard in the world - right after that bloody windows key, of course. And yes, although you may not realise it, almost everyone finds typing in all capitals to be quite fucking annoying. For the benefit of your fragile disposition, however, I'm willing to let it slide. Yes, how very kind of me.

Now, to get things back on topic, aren't The Byrds just fantastic?

p.s. A big thumbs-up to whichever moderator was involved. I owe you an xmas mix cd as a token of my gratitude :)
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Triad. I know it's a Crosby tune, but so far I've only heard covers by Jefferson Airplane and the Byrds.

Did Bing himself never release a version?

"You want to know how it will be
Me and her, or you and me
You both stand there, your long hair flowing
Your eyes alive, your mind still growing
Saying to me what can we do now that we both love you bom bom bom bom bom"
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Its an amazing album. Draft Morning is properley messed up. In a good way.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Another one for all the Byrdmaniax...

MOJO published this month it's own top 10 Byrds records...

1 The Notorious Byrd Brothers
2 Mr Tambourine Man
3 Younger than Yesterday
4 Untitled/Unissued
5 Sweetheart of the Rodeo
6 Mojo presents...an introduction (cheat!)
7 Fifth Dimension
8 Preflyte Sessions
9 Turn! Turn! Turn!
10 Byrd Parts 1964-1980

WOT no Dr Byrds and Mr Hyde? I think 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo' deserves a higher placing...or something.

and has Stevie really left here forever?
Intranaut
Known user

Post by Intranaut »

YEAH....I THOUGHT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING A LITTLE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE CAPS BUTTON. BEING THE STUBBORN BASTARD THAT I AM, I'M AFRAID I WON'T BE CHANGING THAT. YOU MAY NOW END THE POWER TRIP MR. MODERATOR.

INTRANAUT

That better? ASSHOLE.
Its not a power trip. Its responding to repeated requests for you to shift into lower case and your refusal for some unknown reason.
Thats what moderators are supposed to do.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Notorious Byrd Brothers in a great album, although at times they overdo it with the psychedelic sounds ... someone else mentioned that already, though.

Only a computer would write sentences in all capital letters. Intranaut ... are you a computer or human?
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

STUBBORN? no, just annoying. if you are truly concerned that people aren't paying heed to your most wonderful post then cut the crap. if not, don't whine when people tell you to stop.
Intranaut
Known user

Post by Intranaut »

ACTUALLY, THE WARMTH, I DON'T FEEL VERY HUMAN SOMETIMES BECAUSE TRUTH IS THAT I DON'T HAVE PINKY FINGERS ON EITHER HAND OKAY? THEREFORE I AM UNABLE TO SHIFT FOR THE CAPITOLIZATION OF LETTERS AT THE BEGINNING OF SENTENCES OR NAMES ETC... SURE I COULD JUST GO ALL LOWER CASE BUT UNFORTUNATELY THAT DOES NOT SUIT ME AESTHETICALLY. HOW ABOUT WE ALL STOP ACTING LIKE A BUNCH OF BITHCHES AND TALK ABOUT FUCKING MUSIC, OR JUST FUCKING. GET OVER IT.

INTRANAUT
plymwhites
Known user

Post by plymwhites »

The Icicle Works did a cover of Triad/Chestnut Mare for a proposed then cancelled Byrds tribute album I think ?? Triad sounds great but the Chestnut Mare part didnt quite get there. IMHO Iam Mcnabb is one of our most underated songwriters/performers...
Didnt Graham Nash 'nearly' join the Byrds ?? that would've been some signing !!
Saw Roger Mcguinn in Bristol a couple of years ago...still sounding nothing less than wonderful...just the man and his guitar.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Actually, the fact that you claim to have no pinky fingers is, at the moment, more interesting to me than a discussion about the Notorious Byrd Brothers album. You must have trouble with the letters "a," "q," "p," and the semicolon, too. Harsh.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Intranaut wrote:ACTUALLY, THE WARMTH, I DON'T FEEL VERY HUMAN SOMETIMES BECAUSE TRUTH IS THAT I DON'T HAVE PINKY FINGERS ON EITHER HAND OKAY? THEREFORE I AM UNABLE TO SHIFT FOR THE CAPITOLIZATION OF LETTERS AT THE BEGINNING OF SENTENCES OR NAMES ETC... SURE I COULD JUST GO ALL LOWER CASE BUT UNFORTUNATELY THAT DOES NOT SUIT ME AESTHETICALLY. HOW ABOUT WE ALL STOP ACTING LIKE A BUNCH OF BITHCHES AND TALK ABOUT FUCKING MUSIC, OR JUST FUCKING. GET OVER IT.

INTRANAUT
I'm pretty sure your index finger would shift that caps lock key. Or...gasp...even your thumb.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Intranaut ~ what's a "BITHCHE"?
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

are The Byrds CDs "We Have Ignition" "Cruising Altitude" "Full Throttle" and "Final Approach" worth listening to?
twentysixdollars
Known user

Those are the names of the four discs of the box set. In light of what's on the reissues, what's on the SOTR deluxer, and various other issues, I would answer that no, they're not worth listening to, because any Byrds fan who has heard of them already has access to the material on them. As you might have guessed by the bootsome titles, no group-sanctioned release would be titled so ridiculously, although Dr Byrds and Mr Hyde beggars belief as well, to say nothing of Byrdmaniax. And yes, they are my favorite group.

I think it's a little silly to make a ten-best list for a band that only released twelve albums. But then again I do it all the time.

Re: pinky fingers: I leave for a month or two and the whole operation's a shambles.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Clownbait wrote:are The Byrds CDs "We Have Ignition" "Cruising Altitude" "Full Throttle" and "Final Approach" worth listening to?
C'mon man ... it's a pretty good comp. Just put them on the cans. If you're not quite sure you want to buy all the Byrds albums, it's a pretty good start.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

twentysixdollars wrote:Those are the names of the four discs of the box set. In light of what's on the reissues, what's on the SOTR deluxer, and various other issues, I would answer that no, they're not worth listening to, because any Byrds fan who has heard of them already has access to the material on them. As you might have guessed by the bootsome titles, no group-sanctioned release would be titled so ridiculously, although Dr Byrds and Mr Hyde beggars belief as well, to say nothing of Byrdmaniax. And yes, they are my favorite group.

I think it's a little silly to make a ten-best list for a band that only released twelve albums. But then again I do it all the time.

Re: pinky fingers: I leave for a month or two and the whole operation's a shambles.
$26 ... pm me your address or po. Streaming mp3's is a drag and they sound like shit.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

first of all - importantly - I think we should all calm down about this caps lock business. It's really not a big deal.

Secondly, the Byrds rarely, if ever, put out a bad record.
I've got that 12-disc box that they drip-released about 8 years ago and it's all good.
Notorious does have Goin Back and Wasn't Born To Follow on it, but it also contains Dolphin's Smile, Space Odyssey and the rather too-whimsical Get To You.

My favourites would have to be Turn Turn Turn and The Ballad Of Easy Rider simply because, as a whole package, they feel near perfect.
Whatever... it's all opinions, innit?

Incidentally, talking of Triad, did anyone get that Byrds tribute album "Time Between" in the 80s? The Icicle Works did a version of Triad on that. It was quite an interpretation.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Starfish wrote:first of all - importantly - I think we should all calm down about this caps lock business. It's really not a big deal.
[/i]
When numerous people kindly ask someone to not post in caps then someone has to step in. Especially when the response is basically " I dont give a fuck and i'm not going to stop". The bit of moderating was fairly subtle. Not as harsh as Intranaut's other posts promoting a band that were just flat out deleted.
twentysixdollars
Known user

I agree with Spzretent.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Starfish wrote: but it also contains Dolphin's Smile, Space Odyssey and the rather too-whimsical Get To You.
Those are actually three of my absolute favorite Byrds songs. Glad to hear a salute to Ballad of Easy Rider though, which, as I mentioned, is a desert island disc.

There never was a twelve-disc box set; the box was called Twelve Dimensions but it only had four records in it (Untitled, Farther Along, Byrdmaniax, and the new live one) in standard reissue packaging. The rest of the box was for storing the first eight discs you've presumably already purchased. As you might have guessed I never bothered to buy this box: I already have all twelve albums (thirteen, actually; the live album is not canon, although it is good), to say nothing of three other Byrds boxes (Preflyte, SOTR-luxe, and the four-disc one) and apparently there's another coming soon with rarities and a DVD, which is terrif, because you have my word as someone almost-in-the-know that there is still marvelous stuff languishing in the vaults.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

twentysixdollars wrote: There never was a twelve-disc box set; the box was called Twelve Dimensions but it only had four records in it (Untitled, Farther Along, Byrdmaniax, and the new live one) in standard reissue packaging. The rest of the box was for storing the first eight discs you've presumably already purchased.
Well, OK then. That's why I said 'drip-released'. But when the box came, with the final four albums, it carried the legend '12 Dimensions - The Colombia Recordings 1965-1972' and there was a convenient 8-CD space left to fit the reissues.
This counts as a boxed set to me. It's a box with a set of 12 CDs inside.
twentysixdollars
Known user

True, true. As you might have guessed my posts of late have been hurried; this one is in fact from a basement in Quebec.

You're certainly right, although my reading of 'drip-released' would imply that the box came before the discs, when in fact the opposite is true - by a factor of about four years in the case of the first four. Actually the period of waiting until 2000 when I could finally hear Farther Along for the first time was agonizing. And it's pretty damn good.
Intranaut
Known user

Post by Intranaut »

WHAT IS MORE RIDICULOUS? THE FACT THAT "SEVERAL PEOPLE" SEEM TO HAVE THEIR ENTIRE WORLDS TURNED UPSIDE DOWN BECAUSE SOMEONE POSTS IN ALL CAPS? OR OR ME RELENTING TO SUCH IDIOTIC REQUESTS?

I HAVE USED ALL CAPS SINCE I BEGAN TYPING. WHY SHOULD I CHANGE THAT FOR A FEW VERY PETTY PEOPLE ON A MESSAGE BOARD? SO PLEASE, FOR GOD'S SAKE JUST GIVE ME ONE VALID REASON NOT TO USE ALL CAPS AND "BECAUSE IT'S ANNOYING" ISN'T REALLY VALID TO ME. THIS IS TRULY ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS THINGS I HAVE ENCOUNTERED.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

do you write in all caps?

xxxshonnxxx
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

If you have been using all caps I find it very hard to believe you have never been asked to post lower case.
It does bother people because:
A: It is annoying,
B: People feel they are being shouted at,
C: As Ash said, it is matter of "netiquette" which you just dont seem to care about.
I am not going to sit here and tell you not to post but if there are people whom this bothers enough that they politely ask you stop posting in caps whats the big deal? You have apparently drawn your line in the sand.
Get ready for more moderating. :evil:
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Kinda like chewing with your mouth open Intranaut, it's just not necessary.

I know nothing of the byrds other than i never liked mr tambourine man or turn, turn, turn(the song) at all. I picked up sweetheart of the rodeo the other day and i must say i really like it a lot so far. i imagine it's because crosby ain't on it :wink:
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

When you were at school you didnt learn to write in all CAPS nor were the books you learned to read from in all CAPS.

Its a bit unusual and its not as aesthetic as clc's either as the leading becomes more solid and there more of a strain on the eye to read it.

Maybe not everyone on here has perefect 20-20 vison and the all CAPS may be a pain to them.

Come on intra......Lets do our bit for the look, goodwill and the health of everyone on the board.

O
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
telliott3
Known user

Post by telliott3 »

twentysixdollars wrote:Those are the names of the four discs of the box set. In light of what's on the reissues, what's on the SOTR deluxer, and various other issues, I would answer that no, they're not worth listening to, because any Byrds fan who has heard of them already has access to the material on them.
Does the re-issue of 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo' have Gram Parsons's vocals on 'The Christian Life', et al? I first heard those versions on the box set ... for me that justified the purchase (but that was ages ago ... I'm not real current on what's been released since).
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

hello telliot, not sure about your graham parsons questions, but holy shit, your from san diego. i thought i was the only lost soul! hello and welcome.

xxxshonnxxx
telliott3
Known user

Post by telliott3 »

Yes ... San Diego. Not exactly a bastion of good music. Even though I'm not really new (I just don't post much), thanks for the welcome.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I was under the impression that a surly Roger McGuinn mixed out all of Gram's (recorded) contributions to Sweetheart Of The Rodeo.
And that some of the extra tracks on the reissue contained Gram-friendly mixes.
I may well be wrong, though, so will happily concede to anyone who is more informed.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

according to the liner notes on the reissue roger had to redo some of the vocals that graham had originally done because graham was still under a contract with a previous band. some of the bonus tracks on the reissue are the original/graham ones.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Starfish wrote:I was under the impression that a surly Roger McGuinn mixed out all of Gram's (recorded) contributions to Sweetheart Of The Rodeo.
And that some of the extra tracks on the reissue contained Gram-friendly mixes.
I may well be wrong, though, so will happily concede to anyone who is more informed.
Not true. Gram is still singing lead on the two barrelhouse numbers ("You're Still On My Mind" and "Life in Prison") as well as his own immortal "Hickory Wind"). He also sings harmony on at least two or three other numbers. Surly McGuinn overdubbed a perfectly good vocal on Gram's first showpiece, the Otis Bell number; and some people say he ruined the Louvins tune, although I recognize that it might have needed some ironizing in context. The harmonies are still gorgeous.

The new deluxe version restores all the box-set Gram vocals, thereby obviating the box set. The old CD reissue contained excellent alternate takes instead.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

So is the new deluxe reissue of Sweetheart worth buying or do you have to be a hardcore fan of the album? I do like the, but I'm afraid I won't find all the extras very exciting.

As a sidenote, I heard Hickory Wind in Starbucks yesterday morning. Weird.
telliott3
Known user

Post by telliott3 »

With Gram's vocals, SOTR has gotta be one of my favorite records. But, for me, McGuinn's feigned southern accent just ruins the whole feel of the album. Oh, and $26 ... just for the record ... "You Don't Miss Your Water" is a William Bell song (not sure who Otis Bell is).
telliott3
Known user

Post by telliott3 »

Speaking of William Bell, has anyone ever heard mention of the influence of his 1967 "Soul of a Bell" record on Gram Parsons? It's pretty obvious to me given the Byrd's cover of 'You Don't Miss Your Water' on SOTR, and the Flying Burrito Brothers' version of 'Do Right Woman, Do Right Man', which feels very similar to Bell's. Just wondering if the connection was ever formally recognized in an article, book, or something. For my money, "The Soul of a Bell" is one of the top 5 or 10 soul records of the 1960s ... and that's saying something.
twentysixdollars
Known user

TheWarmth wrote:So is the new deluxe reissue of Sweetheart worth buying or do you have to be a hardcore fan of the album?
I'd say both, but no, a casual fan would probably not be interested in it. For my part when I first read the tracklisting I almost fainted. I guess I'm the sort of person for whom this disc was made. I have four Deluxe Editions (old-timers will remember my screed about the Velvets one several years ago) and this is the first one that I haven't felt was a ripoff. (For the curious, the others were the Love Supreme one, the What's Going On one, and the Who Sings My Generation one. I still haven't bought the Velvets one.)

Definitely an error on my part as regards William Bell. The record's certainly an acknowledged influence on Gram, if not the pre-eminent one. My "Otis" mistake can be attributed to bleary eyes and the fact that I've always liked Redding's version on Otis Blue.
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

twentysixdollars wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:So is the new deluxe reissue of Sweetheart worth buying or do you have to be a hardcore fan of the album?
I'd say both, but no, a casual fan would probably not be interested in it. For my part when I first read the tracklisting I almost fainted. I guess I'm the sort of person for whom this disc was made. I have four Deluxe Editions (old-timers will remember my screed about the Velvets one several years ago) and this is the first one that I haven't felt was a ripoff. (For the curious, the others were the Love Supreme one, the What's Going On one, and the Who Sings My Generation one. I still haven't bought the Velvets one.)

Definitely an error on my part as regards William Bell. The record's certainly an acknowledged influence on Gram, if not the pre-eminent one. My "Otis" mistake can be attributed to bleary eyes and the fact that I've always liked Redding's version on Otis Blue.
Just out of curiosity, I've got the Love Supreme and My Generation ones (as well as the Eric B and Rakim Paid in Full one, best of the three,) and don't consider any of them "rip-offs," though I'm not sure any except Paid In Full are worth 25 bucks if you've already got the proper records elsewhere.

I've got the single-disc, expanded Sweetheart, and love it. But, in detail...what makes it less a rip-off than the afforementioned?
twentysixdollars
Known user

Well the Trane one is OK if you haven't heard the (oft-booted) live LP. The version on the deluxe edition sadly does not sound any better than my bootleg, which upsets me a great deal, because I was hoping it would be cleaned up for release. The alternate takes are interesting but inessential; the record was so programmatic that alternate studio versions are bound ot be superfluous. The Velvet Underground one doesn't contain any rare material at all, just rare mixes. The My Generation one just seemed light. None I've felt warranted doubling the original disc's sticker price.

The SOTR one contains the all the Gram-sung numbers, piles of additional outtakes, the best transitional tunes from the ISB, vocal versions of a mystery tune that turns out to be an original, piles and piles of alternate takes that tickle me at least. It's the most overloaded of the deluxe editions and especially revelatory if you don't already own disc one (the 1996 issue). I did but don't regret my purchase, and I could give my copy of disc one to a curious young cousin.
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

As of right now I prefer the notorious byrd brothers above the other albums. I'm gonna pick up the deluxe edition of sweetheart of the rodeo as right now all I have are the remastered editions of notorious and fifth dimension and direct rips of the original issues of the majority of the other albums.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

telliott3 wrote:Speaking of William Bell, has anyone ever heard mention of the influence of his 1967 "Soul of a Bell" record on Gram Parsons? It's pretty obvious to me given the Byrd's cover of 'You Don't Miss Your Water' on SOTR, and the Flying Burrito Brothers' version of 'Do Right Woman, Do Right Man', which feels very similar to Bell's. Just wondering if the connection was ever formally recognized in an article, book, or something. For my money, "The Soul of a Bell" is one of the top 5 or 10 soul records of the 1960s ... and that's saying something.
Nice. I requested some info on William Bell back in the Soul thread - I have never heard of that LP.

Any more info telliot? Is the LP generally available??
telliott3
Known user

Post by telliott3 »

The album is very much available and very highly recommended. His follow-ups "Wow" and "Bound to Happen" are worthwhile too. "I Forgot to be Your Lover" is one of his best performances and you can find that on just about every Stax Records sampler you come across.