Lauren Live at Maida Vale

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

PopeJez
Known user

Lauren Live at Maida Vale

Post by PopeJez »

"As Spiritualized release Sweet Heart Sweet Light, their first in four years, they perform on Lauren Live at Maida Vale (10am, 6 Music)."
veiko
Known user

Re: Lauren Live at Maida Vale

Post by veiko »

herman
Known user

Post by herman »

damn, can't listen to it living outside the uk...
totally dissapointed
"Thank you"
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

herman wrote:damn, can't listen to it living outside the uk...
totally dissapointed
Don't worry, i have the same problem here in Ireland but it is allowing me to watch the previous shows from this week so i guess we'll be able to catch the Spiritualized one later on.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

just caught this. loved that version of 'she kissed me'. so sad i wont be able to catch them on this tour :cry:
really, really looking forward to the album though..
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

moop wrote:just caught this. loved that version of 'she kissed me'. so sad i wont be able to catch them on this tour :cry:
really, really looking forward to the album though..

It was pretty intense, wasn't it?! Loving the intro to 'I am what I am' too!
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

I couldn't listen - what happened??? What news???? What songs???? All information gratefully received. :D
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

gassjack wrote:I couldn't listen - what happened??? What news???? What songs???? All information gratefully received. :D

I am so crap with track lists- people help me out here!

Some of the tracks the played were (but not in this order).

Hey Jane
Mary
I am what I am ( loved this!!!)
She kissed me

erm... and three more I think?! I really am senile. Crikey

I think it will be available to listen to later (on the red button she said). :D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I caught:

'Hey Jane' (awesome - Lauren herself said "krautrock and gospel" and it was, but more so, she also mentioned the hige sound coming from them, definitely heavier vibe than the previous live takes I've heard)
'Lord Let It Rain On Me' (no longer the delicate thing it used to be)
'She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)' (superb bit of solo madness from (presumably) Doggen before this kicked off 'on one' - hope they play this on the tour as last time it was sounding extra heavy with bonus rama-lama excess and it was kicking off big time this afternoon)

Ah... I missed 'I Am What I Am' then? :oops:
O P 8
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

Spz on red button tonight 7pm 6 music
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Hey Jane
Lord Let it Rain on Me
She Kissed Me (and it Felt Like a Hit)
I Am What I Am
Mary
Come Together

When Come Together came on I wanted to tweet 'Streets of London!' (especially as they'd been brave enough not to use it in the Autumn) - but I'm as guilty of loving it as anyone else.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The US fans dont get to watch thru BBC Red button.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

Neither do us without posh televisions.... I'm hoping someone rips it down...
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Managed to watch some of this at work while it was streaming but just watched it in full now on red button (except for Mary which has been left out).

Loved it, plus it seems that the BBC do still know how to treat live music well (at least the 6music crew do anyway).

Jason was standing for a change which was nice.

Obviously they had to play a clean version of She Kissed Me due to the time it went out. But it's really annoying to listen to Come Together with gaps where they mute out the 'fucked's throughout.

J seems to have had a memory lapse as he commented during the tiny interview with Lauren that he was nervous as they hadn't played for a year and a half! I'm sure I saw them at a small venue in London last October?

I want Doggen to come to my house and play each of my guitars like that so that they have the experience of really being played once in their lives.

Post by nickh »

Sim wrote: J seems to have had a memory lapse as he commented during the tiny interview with Lauren that he was nervous as they hadn't played for a year and a half! I'm sure I saw them at a small venue in London last October?
Ha, maybe a few too many lagers at the after show thingy and clean forgot about the night before.

Just watching now, Hey Jane is already sounding like a Spiritualized classic and a great opener to a live show. I am a big Lord Let it Rain on Me fan and nice to hear this again, She Kissed Me sounded fantastic, loving the Calesque piano going through. I am what I am sounding like a more up-tempo companion to Cop Shoot Cop. Man, I am so looking forward to Monday at Hackney now, this line up sounds better and better and hopefully John Coxon on board to take it somewhere a little further still.
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

PLEASE DEAR GOD LET SOMEONE HAVE RIPPED THIS DOWN!!! I'm desperate to see/hear it.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Can't you watch it for a week on her site? Surely someone will rip it... :)
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

gassjack wrote:PLEASE DEAR GOD LET SOMEONE HAVE RIPPED THIS DOWN!!! I'm desperate to see/hear it.
I'm ripping the video as we speak.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The legendary Ollie pulling through again...
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

olliemorr wrote:
gassjack wrote:PLEASE DEAR GOD LET SOMEONE HAVE RIPPED THIS DOWN!!! I'm desperate to see/hear it.
I'm ripping the video as we speak.

I actually love you. :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Odd, it lets me watch "Hey Little Girl" and the interview but nowt else. Then i can watch all of De La Soul but only one tune by SBTRKT and then all of Paul Weller but in 12 seperate parts. :?

Anyways what i heard on the radio today Sweet Jane sounded great, Lord Let It Rain was the best i've heard it (even though i still don't like it 'twas a vast improvement.) She Kissed Me wasn't really hitting the spot for me, was okay. The above mentioned Little Girl isn't the side of Spiritualized i like. Still, it does seem like we mightn't have to wait six months into the tour to get a really good performance out of them. :)

Looking forward to Ollie's rip. Thankyou in advance.
moggieboy
New user

Post by moggieboy »

Here's the audio, ripped off the web video stream with the sound bumped up and the chat cut out. http://www.mediafire.com/?3oci81p56qmm268
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

sunray wrote:Odd, it lets me watch "Hey Little Girl" and the interview but nowt else. Then i can watch all of De La Soul but only one tune by SBTRKT and then all of Paul Weller but in 12 seperate parts. :?

Anyways what i heard on the radio today Sweet Jane sounded great, Lord Let It Rain was the best i've heard it (even though i still don't like it 'twas a vast improvement.) She Kissed Me wasn't really hitting the spot for me, was okay. The above mentioned Little Girl isn't the side of Spiritualized i like. Still, it does seem like we mightn't have to wait six months into the tour to get a really good performance out of them. :)

Looking forward to Ollie's rip. Thankyou in advance.
:D Hello there! How are you? Was eyeing up the Irish tour dates- but I can't take too much time off work (in the middle of a mixing session right now).

Bring on the rips! The more the merrier!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

moggieboy wrote:Here's the audio, ripped off the web video stream with the sound bumped up and the chat cut out. http://www.mediafire.com/?3oci81p56qmm268
olliemorr wrote: I'm ripping the video as we speak.

Thank you guys!!!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just watched it on the red button...looking and sounding great. Looking forward to more noise and strobes comes Monday at Hackney. Hopefully Coxon will be joining them to make the sound even fuller. Agreed that Hey Jane is already sitting pretty comfortably as a Spiritualized classic. Jason certainly loves banging out Amazing Grace tracks at every opportunity. I know that album usually gets rated as everyone's least favourite Spiritualized record but I just can't imagine a Spiritualized gig now without at least 2 or 3 songs from She Kissed Me, Cheapster, Oh Baby, Rated X and Lord Let It Rain On Me.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

a massive thank you
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

you are a gentlemen and a scholar
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

I've managed to rip it to a raw 200MB FLV file. Video/sound quality is as per the beeb website, so is pretty decent. It'll be another hour or so before I post the link as my upload rate to Wupload is a mere 41kbps ffs. I miss Megaupload.
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

sunny wrote:
moggieboy wrote:Here's the audio, ripped off the web video stream with the sound bumped up and the chat cut out. http://www.mediafire.com/?3oci81p56qmm268
olliemorr wrote: I'm ripping the video as we speak.
Thank you guys!!!
Yes indeed - thank you both very much!
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

As promised, here's the 200MB flv vid in a zip file:
http://www.wupload.co.uk/file/267583150 ... 150312.zip
Apologies for the shitty file hosting site. Please avoid clicking any of the millions of banners on there. Scroll about halfway down the page and click the 'Regular Download' button. A 30 second countdown should then start, after which the option to download the file should appear.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Much appreciated Olliemorr and Moggieboy.
neilmorrell
New user

Post by neilmorrell »

Thanks very very much - now downloading with fingers crossed
Jimmy_G
Known user

Post by Jimmy_G »

Great work, thanks folks
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Little Girl is an amazing track, can't wait to see it live myself at the end of the month in Manchester. Easy to disregard something that sounds like a simple pop ditty. Beautiful.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

Shinesalight wrote: Jason certainly loves banging out Amazing Grace tracks at every opportunity.
the new material to me sounds most like amazing grace.. might be why they mesh well together
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Thanks for uploading, you guys.

Ollie, will this be going on your (amazing) youtube channel soon? Would love to see it again.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Did anyone notice that in the interview Jason said he was nervous because they haven't played live in 18 months? What's all that about? As far as I remember: 3 dates last autumn, including the Royal Albert Hall (which you’d have thought would be pretty hard to forget), a TV programme in Ireland over Christmas, and a date in Japan in February.

Poor Jason - he looks so uncomfortable being interviewed, I find it painful to watch.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

Thank you both for ripping the show for us all! I loved watching the stream on my lunch break with the old noise-cancelling headphones on - I felt like I was in my own Spiritualized bubble. The Orbital show today sounded great too. Thank goodness for 6Music.
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

thanks for both the audio and videos guys. hearing this has gotten me a little more excited for the tour. i wasn't very impressed with the other voices vid but they sound a lot more steady on this one. plus lord let it rain on me is one of my favourites and the version here is just great
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olliemorr wrote:As promised, here's the 200MB flv vid in a zip file:
Apologies for the shitty file hosting site. Please avoid clicking any of the millions of banners on there. Scroll about halfway down the page and click the 'Regular Download' button. A 30 second countdown should then start, after which the option to download the file should appear.
Anyone else having trouble extracting the file? I just keep getting errors. :?
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

sunray wrote:
x2
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

cantona wrote:
sunray wrote:
x2
x3
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

cantona wrote:
sunray wrote:
x2
You've managed to download it yeah? It's just the extraction from the zip file you're having a problem with?
I zipped it using Winzip 12 using standard compression. An older version of winzip may possibly have issues. Either download and install a newer Winzip, or use Winrar even (both are free). If you still have problems I'll re-up without compressing when I get a chance. :)

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:Thanks for uploading, you guys.

Ollie, will this be going on your (amazing) youtube channel soon? Would love to see it again.
'fraid not for the moment. My account has been limited to 15min vids due to a complaint a few months back. I could split it up I guess. Whatever I do I'll probably wait until it's off the iPlayer. Hopefully the limit on my account will be lifted at some point... I might try and create a new account actually.
kuniko
Known user

Post by kuniko »

I was having a problem too (Mac Os X) and used this:
http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html
It supports older compression formats. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much Ollie; brightened a grey and rainy day in CA.

xxx
moggieboy
New user

Post by moggieboy »

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I chopped up the tracks. Now you can have each song individually instead of one long mp3. Yay, technology!!!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qw3gjb
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm glad he's standing up again!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Thanks to Ollie & Moggieboy for all the hard work with this... and of course the band. Been listening to this over the weekend and it's a great session indeed, another remarkable BBC session, this is up there with the 1998 Breezeblock one, probably better in fact. They played 'I Am What I Am' that time too... fourteen years ago. :shock:

Struck by how the Amazing Grace tunes are sounding years down the line: 'She Kissed Me' sounds like it's been amped up on super-strength rocket fuel - close listening reveals that the mad bit of guitar in the intro is actually Jason's... brilliant. Doggen's getting into some funky Angus Young stuff here, and when they both cut loose each time it's wonderful. And as Multi says above, the girls add so much to this tune now.
'Lord Let It Rain On Me' - wow. Perfect arrangement and has to be the best version of this I've heard.

The new songs are sounding great as well, itching to here the studio take of 'I Am What I Am' now, loving that squalling guitar freakery goin' on. 'Hey Little Girl' has become stuck in my head. Bring it... :wink:
O P 8
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Again thanks for this! Come Together doesn't quite work with the swearing blanked out - ho ho. :)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

BzaInSpace wrote:Thanks to Ollie & Moggieboy for all the hard work with this... and of course the band. Been listening to this over the weekend and it's a great session indeed, another remarkable BBC session, this is up there with the 1998 Breezeblock one, probably better in fact. They played 'I Am What I Am' that time too... fourteen years ago. :shock:

Struck by how the Amazing Grace tunes are sounding years down the line: 'She Kissed Me' sounds like it's been amped up on super-strength rocket fuel - close listening reveals that the mad bit of guitar in the intro is actually Jason's... brilliant. Doggen's getting into some funky Angus Young stuff here, and when they both cut loose each time it's wonderful. And as Multi says above, the girls add so much to this tune now.
'Lord Let It Rain On Me' - wow. Perfect arrangement and has to be the best version of this I've heard.

The new songs are sounding great as well, itching to here the studio take of 'I Am What I Am' now, loving that squalling guitar freakery goin' on. 'Hey Little Girl' has become stuck in my head. Bring it... :wink:

What you said Baz! It sums it up for me. Had a great trip down to see the show at maida vale. But have to admit is sounded better on the tv when i got home. Still can't quite believe so much spiritualized was on the tv! After years of telling people my favourite band and them looking blankly at me it feels like there is much more recognition of them this time around.

Agree the AG tracks are sounding wonderful. I'm really liking the way the keys and bass are driving the songs, letting the guitars freak out. When I heard the baselines on the TV it really reminded me or Mr Carruthers.

And I am what I am is just amazing. they played it on 6 music on Saturday afternoon, because I was listening the kitchen I was able to rewind it three times! Dancing like a bit of a fool really.
somakoma
Known user

Post by somakoma »

nice edit by the bbc on come together

little johnny sad and f---kt.. it´s obviously only vowels they have a problem with..

some great versions here.. she kissed me come together

Lord let it rain on me now has a piano reminding me of Love reign over me by the Who <--song titles are somewhat familiar - bet it´s a Quadrophenian homage/joke.. unfortunately still one of his worst songs.

and whats up with his voice?
Jason sounds like Lemmy mixed with Syd on his second LP..

..but only during the interview - because his singing is GREAT!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

cheers for the recordings.
they played 'mary' too, but for some reason that appears to have been cut from the 'sessions' (it was played on the live streaming vid). i think that's the only track that's missing. but it's one of my faves, so though it was worth a mention
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

there's a free mp3 from the session on the 6 music site - think its Mary.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

clewsr wrote:there's a free mp3 from the session on the 6 music site - think its Mary.
link?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
JohnGris
Known user

Post by JohnGris »

burningwheel wrote:
clewsr wrote:there's a free mp3 from the session on the 6 music site - think its Mary.
link?
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/6mu ... 2-1130.mp3

FF: right click "save link as..."

IE: right click "save target as..."
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Not available outside of the UK. :(
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

if it is Mary, the rest of the world would appreciate someone upping it here. thanks in advance
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Where was Mary in the setlist? Just want to get the set in the right order.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I looked in the Gig section thread and it's listed in between She Kissed Me and I Am What I Am.
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

thanks goodnightx2!
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Minky wrote:Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I looked in the Gig section thread and it's listed in between She Kissed Me and I Am What I Am.

Yeah, it's the first one they played after the second break, iirc. Strange it's not on the broadcast taped and uploaded here, but at least we have it.