The current Spiritualized touring band - best ever?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

The current Spiritualized touring band - best ever?

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

After watching twenty gigs, the first being back in L&G tour, I feel the group is sounding tighter than ever
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: The current Spiritualized touring band - best ever?

Post by spzretent »

They have been together longer than the LGM, PP, LAG crew.
And they are gooooooood!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Just watched the Madia Vale show, sooo tight!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Haven't caught a show or boot yet, hope it is the best. I'd probably have to go with the space cadets around 1994-1995.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

...and Will's one of the greatest bass players I know. I'll always stand up for his playing.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

The Kwisatz Haderach wrote:After watching twenty gigs, the first being back in L&G tour, I feel the group is sounding tighter than ever
I think Spz have had some amazing line ups over the years and I think this is one of them.

I mean- Doggen! Do I need to say anything else?! A 'prince among men' too- a real sweetheart of a guy. And when they then add Coxon to the big shows it's just amazing...
But they're all great. You can't fault Kevin on drums and Tom on keys is perhaps the most musical out of all of them. I also love that the BV girls Wendy and Claudia, they're such a part of the band and they get into it and rock out rather than just being guns for hire.
(I am still not familiar enough with the bass player- but he's sounding good on the Maida Vale recording)

So yeah, I've loved many of the line ups and I think this current one kicks bum!!!
I also think that the current people all seem genuinely nice and decent and have a lot of love for each other. I think that is just as important, or more so, than just playing skills...

(Runcie- I agree with you about Will. He's a great bass player. And he still is- hasn't lost it, still plays great)
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

It ain't just bass, either. I'm listening to freelovebabies' written in sand right now and will is also a really good songwriter with the perfect voice for the material.

(sorry to go off topic)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ooh this is a tough one with no definite answer..
current lineup is very good although if pressed I would go for ladies and gents era.
yknow who i really miss? Ray Dickaty. i love the sound of a horn blasting out over their songs and through all the lineup changes a horn player is someone whos never come back (i know they had a horn section at RAH but im talking more about one nice fat juicy sax)

Doggen is fantasic though, so talented and hope he sticks by Jasons side forever

another thumps up for Wills bass playing from me. his melodic but simple basslines totally rule Lazer Guided Melodies and shape the songs. Sean Cook was also brilliant and had a deeper, fatter sound.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

angelsighs wrote:current lineup is very good although if pressed I would go for ladies and gents era.
Could you recommend a Ladies & Gents era boot that best encapsulates why that era is your favorite for the band? I have a few of them, but the only one I've listened to with particular attention has been the officially-released Royal Albert Hall, which I've never much cared for other than the version of I Think I'm In Love.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Gotta agree with angelsighs.
I love the LAG lineup, especially what Ray Dickaty brought.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

This Roskilde boot (also mentioned in the other thread) is incredible stuff. I'll have to listen further to decide where it falls in my overall ranking, but this is way better than the Royal Albert Hall show.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jadams501 wrote:
angelsighs wrote:current lineup is very good although if pressed I would go for ladies and gents era.
Could you recommend a Ladies & Gents era boot that best encapsulates why that era is your favorite for the band? I have a few of them, but the only one I've listened to with particular attention has been the officially-released Royal Albert Hall, which I've never much cared for other than the version of I Think I'm In Love.
yeah, I don't particularly like the Royal Albert Hall album either. obviously very doctored and it all sounds so weird and just kinda.. dry. and you can hardly hear the crowd.. and what kind of live album fades in (apart from Live Dead :) )
one I always mention is the Meltdown festival from 1998
also really good is Oxford Sound City 1997

plus good for some different setlists (although not great sound quality) are San Diego and T in the Park both from 1998. the band starting doing this awesome spacy middle section where the Individual morphs into Sway then Take Good Care Of It..

i will say that ive heard some less good boots from that era too so maybe they were inconsistent, but the peaks really hit the highs
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

as i remember it there were 2 different bootlegs from the ladies and gents era that represent the pinnacle of the LAGWAFIS lineup to me. one is the XFM 1997-09-05, and the other one is 1997-11-09 (i think. same setlist)
since then i've come to realise that i appreciate each lineup for what it is, since the tour for each album brings something different to the table. actually i say that but A+E tour didnt really do it for me. i think it's because acoustic mainlines was so good, and then the A+E gigs themselves were relatively quiet. On the other hand i really enjoyed that gig because i got to see spiritualized play right back to back with JAMC, who i'd never seen before (it was summer sonic). understandably i was more excited about JAMC and a little underwhelmed by spz. I loved the recent RAH gig and that 6-music set looked/sounded amazing, so they definitely still have the magic.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I've said this before: the Pitchfork Festival A&E show was absolutely magical. Blew me away.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i'm kinda w/moop on this one.

one of my favourite things about following this band is they do change it up for every tour/album cycle.
& even tho the base experience is p much the same every time, there's a galaxy of fun waiting to be discovered by attending multiple shows, even on the same tour. they have always been versatile enough to rearrange or exacerbate songs or certain moments.

so yea. no one era stands out. they all have great moments. but because of the variety of styles i don't think there has ever been a perfect or best touring band - simply because there'll always be some element missing that was amazing from before, no matter how amazing it is currently. they're lucky cause as good as it is, you're always left wanting a little bit more.

you can't get too much of a good thing.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

This kind of contradicts the general Spiritualized modus operandi, but the comments about what a great live band they presently are got me thinking about the longevity of the current incarnation, not to mention how the members are generally pretty anonymous in the grand scheme of things (well, maybe not to the people here)...

This, coupled with the fact that I recently saw someone wearing one of those Beatles t-shirts with John, Paul, Ringo & George got me wondering how one would look with all (8?) of the current members...

In all honesty, I don't even know if I have everyone listed properly (namely the last 3), not to mention that it's probably already been done by numerous lesser bands, but I thought I'd mock it up all the same. The fact that it's done in Helvetica, which is used exclusively by the band/Farrow almost gives it the look of something semi-official. Oh, I opted for last names because Spaceman, Doggen and Coxon looks better that Jason, Tony and John.

Anyway, check out my little tribute to the current incarnation below. Btw, I'll happily correct any errors if/when they are pointed out.

PS - I just had a look and of course it's been overdone with tonnes of other cultural references - some of which I don't even get! Ah well, so much for originality. :wink:

The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

jack white wrote:i'm kinda w/moop on this one.

one of my favourite things about following this band is they do change it up for every tour/album cycle.
& even tho the base experience is p much the same every time, there's a galaxy of fun waiting to be discovered by attending multiple shows, even on the same tour. they have always been versatile enough to rearrange or exacerbate songs or certain moments. .
Thats one of the main reasons I love the band so much. You'll never, ever get a Spiritualized gig of them just 'playing the album'.