Anyone have the Mojo review of SHSL?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Anyone have the Mojo review of SHSL?

Post by TheWarmth »

Any chance of a scan? Who is on the cover? I'll have to pop into Reckless to see if they have received that issue. I would really like to read some thorough reviews of SHSL, but I can't find much online.
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Anyone have the Mojo review of SHSL?

Post by angelsighs »

I had a read of it in the newsagents (Steve Marriot on the cover) and it was only a teeny review, not much to go on but 4 stars. cant remember any specifics, sorry

read the Q review too- 3 stars. they said that it's the sound of Jason repeating himself, and there was no real felt emotion in the songs. but they did single out praise for Hey Jane, So Long and I Am What I Am (which is apparently a 'free jazz skronk') oh, and apparently Freedom has a warm country feel to it.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Totally not worth buying for the review alone: It's tiny, probably fifty words or something. No specifics about songs or anything, most of it is taken up with a brief history of the band and Spacemen 3, mentions recording locations and the RAH show, and suggests that the album

"draws out the same emotional responses as (Lazer Guided Melodies) but in a post Ladies and Gentlemen... way with gospel choruses, bluesy rhythms and the embodiment of Jesse Jackson's philosophy of "All those are just labels, we know that music is music"."

Disappointingly it's such a slight review given they have mentioned twice now it was being reviewed the following month (due to the change of release date). Madonna gets a half page spread and photo from some lacklustre attempt at kiddie-rave music and an album title controversial only to readers of the Daily Mail... although I imagine Madge's record company can throw more money at Bauer Media than Double 6.

Still, 4/5 'stars' is not a bad mark but Mojo seems to pay little attention to this band: the moment I pretty much gave up on it was the review following the last album - A&E scored 2/5 with a review suggesting the person had been listening to something else entirely, or had just read the press release, while on the same page the immortal Pigeon Detectives got 4/5.
Can't make stuff like this up, right?
angelsighs wrote:...read the Q review too- 3 stars. they said that it's the sound of Jason repeating himself, and there was no real felt emotion in the songs...
Awesome! Fucking Q, the music mag for people who don't really like music.
What they really mean is that "it doesn't sound like the Kaiser Chiefs, U2 or Florence & The Machine so we don't like it."
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I guess we'll have to wait for bloggers to post more lengthy reviews.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think the new Uncut is out any day now too. hopefully that might have a page or half page review
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i'll type up mojo review later if anyone wants? i have a subscription to the mag- £20 per year which is the cost of 4 issues- it's toilet reading- this issue was particularly dull- happy mondys are back! who cares? i've met bez, he seemed ok
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Multi wrote:Fuck them all, they're of no need for me.
Amen
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I agree that I don't put much stock into magazine reviews (unless of course every review was awful, then i'd be worried). but reviews can still be informative in so much as what the songs actually sound like (ie the objective stuff rather than the subjective stuff).
ravench
Known user

Post by ravench »

Here is the review from Uncut.
Attachments
Spiritualized11.jpg
Spiritualized11.jpg (250.15 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Thanks for the Uncut write-up! Angelsighs hit it on the head when he said that reviews can be informative. I'm just eager for more information on the album, which is why I was looking for them.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

the brief: to celebrate the pop groups that make jason spaceman great

twenty years ago, spz deubted with lgm, an album of incredible pulchritude that by building on leader j s' previous band sp3, captured heightened states and distrubing depths through mesmeric incantation, minimilalist drone and a somnambulant wall of sound. twenty years later on, spz, more j spaceman's solo project than a band these days, still sound fantastic. their seventh album (where it was recorded and albert hall) draws out the same emotional responses as the first album, but in a post 1997 l&g way with gospel choruses, bluesy rhytms and the embodiment of jesses jackson's philosphy of 'all those are just labels, we know that music is music'

lois wilson

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Doesn't say much does it? I expected more from Mojo - one of the only mags of any interest.

I'd rather get people's reactions from this forum than a magazine. I think the knowledge and experience here is a lot better.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I quite like Mojo too, it's got its flaws but some of the articles can be good

that is a very flimsy review though. the actual album itself is discussed only in the last few words!! I hate it when the majority of a review is taken up recapping bands career so far, or simply regurgitating the same few facts from the press release. I want to know what the album is like.!!. for bands that are at least fairly well known they should assume basic prior knowledge

I see from the uncut review that Doggen plays the bass on the album- nice one Doggen!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I quite liked Mojo too. They have good writers but it seems to me they need to shake it up a bit. I grew tired of their constant articles on 60's/70's classic rock icons or their 90's/2000's cover boys Oasis, Black Keys, Radiohead, Jack White etc. Also, as it is imported it is pretty expensive in the US.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

runcible wrote:Doesn't say much does it? I expected more from Mojo - one of the only mags of any interest.

I'd rather get people's reactions from this forum than a magazine. I think the knowledge and experience here is a lot better.
Same here! Magazine reviews are so flimsy,they'll slate an album one week and have the same band on the cover the next week because it will sell copies. They also palm off albums to reviewers who may not even like that style of music. It seems unless you are one of the currently 'in vogue' artists you get a fairly loose review containing facts about the band, made up background 'facts' about how the album came to being (ie, breakups, illness etc etc) which said journo has 'read into' rather than what it sounds like. Lazy journalism...
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
tied up
Known user

Post by tied up »

angelsighs wrote: I see from the uncut review that Doggen plays the bass on the album- nice one Doggen!
The more I see and hear of this man, the more of a fucking legend he becomes.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

angelsighs wrote:I quite like Mojo too, it's got its flaws but some of the articles can be good

that is a very flimsy review though. the actual album itself is discussed only in the last few words!! I hate it when the majority of a review is taken up recapping bands career so far, or simply regurgitating the same few facts from the press release. I want to know what the album is like.!!. for bands that are at least fairly well known they should assume basic prior knowledge

I see from the uncut review that Doggen plays the bass on the album- nice one Doggen!
it does say it's great :wink:

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Dr wrote:
angelsighs wrote:I quite like Mojo too, it's got its flaws but some of the articles can be good

true, but doesn't really tell us why :)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

angelsighs wrote:
The Dr wrote:

true, but doesn't really tell us why :)
'cos it is :wink:

musicheals2
Known user

Post by musicheals2 »

I don't trust reviewers for anything these days. Be it music, films, games, books. I'll be the judge. I hate going on a review raving about something and then it turns out to be utter tripe.
In this case you're all gonna own this record so why not wait and make up your own minds? lol
The only time I like 'reviews' is when people on this very forum name drop new or interesting music and I go and seek it out for a test lol
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

musicheals2 wrote:I don't trust reviewers for anything these days. Be it music, films, games, books. I'll be the judge. I hate going on a review raving about something and then it turns out to be utter tripe.
In this case you're all gonna own this record so why not wait and make up your own minds? lol
The only time I like 'reviews' is when people on this very forum name drop new or interesting music and I go and seek it out for a test lol
yeah, if it's something i'll buy anyway or go to see etc i'll ignore all reviews and then go to them after i've made up my own opinion. i read the slsh ones for as this album has been so long in coming etc and with the high of albert hall the delays are starting to ebb away the initial excitement. same with ian mcculloch's album that was put back and put back till the 26th of march and still isn't mixed, even after fans 'pledged' for it- where you had to pay upfront for it and or buy things like his sunglasses or lyrics etc and like a fool i pledged and it looks like i'll never get any return (sorry to gripe- just really anoyed me)

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I don't necessarily believe or take heed of reviews, but I do find it interesting how Spiritualized are being received by the press.
I remember the NME of all people saying Pure Phase was only good if you are 'out of your tree at Glastonbury'. Outrageous.

Anyway, here is a little one http://providence.thephoenix.com/music/ ... eet-light/
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

clewsr wrote:I remember the NME of all people saying Pure Phase was only good if you are 'out of your tree at Glastonbury'. Outrageous.
The NME. Always a stalwart for quality journalism. The quote that appears in Optical Sounds about Spacemen 3 (in a Gaye Bykers on Acid Review - coincidentally my first ever Spacemen 3 gig, a night where Jason, Pete and company blew my mind) just sums that piece of shit up. This is my favourite ever write-up about Spacemen 3 and sums up my feelings towards mainstream journalism. And here it is. I'm guessing the guy who wrote this hangs his head in shame to this day.
NME wrote:None of which can be said for Spacemen 3. To revive an abandoned musical form while adding no new ideas to that form is bad enough in itself, but when the corpse being exhumed is acid-rock of the most brain-damaged kind, then the mental health of those responsible has to be questioned.
Right. Something tells me the work of Spacemen 3 will be remembered long after the recognition of said music writer. Not sure who it was actually. I suspect no one cares.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Multi wrote:I rarely use reviews for artists that I am passionate about, but I've found that allmusic.com has been helpful in my discovery of new (to me) jazz albums. They're generally well-written too.
just checked out that site in case there was a review (there wasnt) and noticed that spacemen's performance and perfect prescription appear to be getting a reissue on Fire records (cd) on the same day as SHWL. arent these the same versions as always? just mentioning it in case it's important to anyone..
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

runcible wrote:
clewsr wrote:I remember the NME of all people saying Pure Phase was only good if you are 'out of your tree at Glastonbury'. Outrageous.
The NME. Always a stalwart for quality journalism. The quote that appears in Optical Sounds about Spacemen 3 (in a Gaye Bykers on Acid Review - coincidentally my first ever Spacemen 3 gig, a night where Jason, Pete and company blew my mind) just sums that piece of shit up. This is my favourite ever write-up about Spacemen 3 and sums up my feelings towards mainstream journalism. And here it is. I'm guessing the guy who wrote this hangs his head in shame to this day.
NME wrote:None of which can be said for Spacemen 3. To revive an abandoned musical form while adding no new ideas to that form is bad enough in itself, but when the corpse being exhumed is acid-rock of the most brain-damaged kind, then the mental health of those responsible has to be questioned.
Right. Something tells me the work of Spacemen 3 will be remembered long after the recognition of said music writer. Not sure who it was actually. I suspect no one cares.
Awfull isn't it. But I quite like the phrase 'acid-rock of the most brain-damaged kind'. They could have used that on promo posters.

It really is amazing to me how influential spacemen 3 and Spiritualized have become. It seems that each year more and more bands are name checking them. The days of lad rock brit pop, and even landfill indie from the early 2000's happily seem a distant, unpleasant memory.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

clewsr wrote: I remember the NME of all people saying Pure Phase was only good if you are 'out of your tree at Glastonbury'. Outrageous.
i heard a similiar comment whilst watching evan parker and spring heel jack playing birdsong at a festival, i felt like turning around and saying, 'what? f off then, morons!'

heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

A quick purusal of the review of Q in WH Smith. Pretty bitchy and lazy review, I felt. This from the magazine who this month offers us the 'lost tracks' from a bunch of obscure bands such as Nirvana, Radiohead, Oasis and some group called the Beatles.
musicheals2
Known user

Post by musicheals2 »

heisenberg wrote:A quick purusal of the review of Q in WH Smith. Pretty bitchy and lazy review, I felt. This from the magazine who this month offers us the 'lost tracks' from a bunch of obscure bands such as Nirvana, Radiohead, Oasis and some group called the Beatles.
To be fair when have Q magazine had anything relevant to add to music except for screaming OASIS!! back in the day? And let's be honest, after Definately Maybe they were on the downturn anyway, Knebworth or not. Sorry but of all the music publications out there, that middle class toilet paper is the worst.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

NME have given SHSL 7/10, if anyone cares.

first of all, they take the piss out of the 'scary jesus' lyric, not knowing it was written by a child (research, NME, research..)

secondly they say the record has a sag in the middle. mystifyingly they single out some of the ballads as highlights, and the noisier stuff as the weaker material.. I think they are coming from a different planet to myself, based on my first listens to it :)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The day I pay any attention to what the NME describes as good is a very sad day indeed.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

runcible wrote:The day I pay any attention to what the NME describes as good is a very sad day indeed.
in this day and age ,don`t think nobody pays any attention to what NME says ,a feckin` relic from a bye gone age ,time moves on ,