New Spiritualized for streaming (for free too)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sunray
Known user

Re: New Spiritualized for streaming (for free too)

Post by sunray »

What the fuck is going on with the backing vocals? Sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks!

Anyways, the album is pretty much how i felt after the Albert Hall: 4 immediate winners, a couple of probable growers and some god awful shite. Life is a Problem and Too Late, for me, are now in with Lord Let It Rain.. and Rated X. Terrible mawkish nonsense.

On the upside, The bass in Heading For The Top is superb, Get What You Deserve has a nice majesterial quality to it. The only problem with I Am What I Am is that it should be longer. After the Albert Hall i said this would be the best album since L&G. Is it? Probably. Certainly more inclined to give it repeated listens than the previous three albums.

Looking forward to hearing it on vinyl as the mix/production does seem a bit off at times. Can't really descibe it, but someone else mentioned "flat" and there is a bit of that occasionally. Perhaps been so used to the live versions has coloured my perception of how the album should sound. Plus, this is a streamed version after all.

Overall, a much more pleasurable listening experience than the last three albums and for that i am grateful. :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Man, I love how Life Is A Problem sounds. That string arrangement is killer, and seems to be a throwback to LICD or something. For some reason, the fact there are no drums makes it. But yeah, the song itself is somewhat cookie cutter Jason. Still can't stand that 'stoned or get high' line.

Can't wait for my vinyl to arrive.....
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

sunray wrote:some god awful shite. Life is a Problem and Too Late ... Lord Let It Rain.. and Rated X. Terrible mawkish nonsense.
Geez. Harsh. Those are words I generally reserve for the likes of ... I don't know, Green Day or somerthing. I like all of these songs quite a bit, although I think "Lord Let It Rain On Me" is arguably a bit generic.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

While I don't have much use for the "free jazz" noodling that begins and ends Rated X, the meat of the song is some of my favorite of Spaceman's work. And I like Lord Let It Rain On Me quite a bit too.

Diff'rent strokes!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Sunray's got a point. I do struggle with the level of mawkishness on those songs. Although Lord let it rain on me is now much improved and tougher live.
taikonaut
Known user
Location: at the gates requesting new passwords that never ever work

Post by taikonaut »

I usually kind of secretly expect them to make one of the best records ever.. which means I´ve been underwhelmed since about 93-94. This time however I was prepared for something worse

mary - strings should´ve been replaced by bg vocals earlier.. a bit too repetitive and (huh?) sample-like in their monotony.
wont get to heaven has been written umptytwelve times before - personally I don´t need it again and I´m already bored with it from the few live versions I´ve heard
so long - scary jesus part is nice! the help me jesus section is the worst thing on the album, the ending is ok

usually I can mention half a dozen things unhappy about after the first listen and 2-3 songs I don´t care for at all (which become one or less after a while) so the above is actually a write-up..

good to hear some saxophones again - now loose the strings for the next album! Be brave! Throw away that blanket! :P
Jason Pierce wrote:the pop part of Spiritualized is the bit I'm most uncomfortable about
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i love freedom- it's as sweet as sugar dipped in sugar but then i like that so :wink: not that bothered by little girl or heading for the top, life is a problem sounds wonderful and going into so long.. but it's still early days. it's not even out yet! it feels like this was the album he wanted to make when he made a&e- it's taken the poppier songs of amazing grace and added a whole new level. i would like a song like you lie you cheat etc but this album feels very 'complete'
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I listened to a bit of "You Get What You Deserve" before my infant managed to get his little sausage fingers on the stop button. Where in the hell is the bass? Listening to "Freedom" now and loving it. So far I like the ballads better than the rockers, although I'm thrilled with "I Am What I Am" based on just one listen.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

kromosapiens wrote:Sorry, the thing is that I can't still understand how overrated is Spiritualized music: Jason has been repeating the same album -of standard rock'n'roll- since their 1997 hit Lads & gents, and on the opposite side the efforts and genius works of art made by Sonic Boom and Pete Bain: E.A.R., Spectrum, Alpha Stone, The Urgz, etcetera; has gaining almost no press interest and the big neo-psych public only cares about what mass media wants to sell... :shock:

For example, "Data Rape" by E.A.R. stands very probably as the most avantgarde disc of the whole 20th century , and nobody seem to care...

Jason has misunderstood gospel + standard rock and roll with Real Psychedelia imo.

With my sentences I'm paying for the inventiveness these artists show. Nothing more , nothing less.

Cheers from North Lima, Perú.

Wilder.

runcible wrote:
kromosapiens wrote:If anyone is still interested in what Jason is doing with Spiritualized - I sincerely think most of his stuff is only rockandroll shit after "Pure Phase" but here is the link from a spanish mag:

http://www.rockdelux.com/playlist/5652_ ... index.html

Long life E.A.R.!!!!

8)
The link is received with gratitude but the rest of your post is bizarre - slightly rude even - so I have no idea where you are coming from here. To supply a useful link and then slag off Spiritualized in the same breath has me scratching my head.
:roll:
OK so this is totally fucking boring. So boring, I'm tempted not to comment- but being a moderator I probably should...

Please feel free to have an opinion on anyone's music, including Spiritualized- in the appropriate thread and forum. You posted a link to the new album, which some of us are waiting for and are very excited about. Please show us some respect. If you'd like to discuss Avant-Garde music, then create a thread for it. I'd be more than happy to talk to you about it. I am HUGELY into Avant-Garde music and E.A.R. Although, I fear you over estimate E.A.R's importance- which probably means you don't actually know the genre or it's innovators all that well. But if you genuinely want some real music discussion then please show some manners and some actual genuine interest. You're coming off as a wanker, nothing more.
To quote Judge Judy;
'Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining'

And as for the rest of the discussions about the sound quality of the album- no point in commenting until the actual album is out! I'm certainly not wasting my (professional) opinion on any streams.

In the meantime I'm listening to these tunes as songs and loving them as such!
:D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:
sunray wrote:some god awful shite. Life is a Problem and Too Late ... Lord Let It Rain.. and Rated X. Terrible mawkish nonsense.
Geez. Harsh. Those are words I generally reserve for the likes of ... I don't know, Green Day or somerthing. I like all of these songs quite a bit, although I think "Lord Let It Rain On Me" is arguably a bit generic.
yeah sunray dont tar them all with the same brush! :)
Lord Let It Rain on Me is bilge indeed. but I will defend Rated X to the end, and I love Too Late
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote: Lord Let It Rain on Me is bilge indeed. but I will defend Rated X to the end, and I love Too Late
LLIROM remains the eternal Spiritualized Marmite song. Why do people hate it so much? Always been one of my favourites from Amazing Grace. Mind you I don't get Rated X at all, so it seems we're on opposite sides for this little debate... :wink:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

noticed that a few folks didn`t like the AG ballad section recently on the UK tour ,gotta say I liked it yeah it took it down a peg or two ,pacing man ,love Rated X & Oh Baby sounded great too me,
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

sunray wrote: Life is a Problem and Too Late, for me, are now in with Lord Let It Rain.. and Rated X. Terrible mawkish nonsense.
4 of my favorites :D lord... was the fisrt spz song i heard and from there i saw the guy was doing silent sound thingy so i went to that so without silent sound and lord... i may have missed spiritualized alltogether
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Life is a Problem is quite possibly my favorite song on the record.
kromosapiens
Known user

Post by kromosapiens »

oh, I didn't know that to say that I don't like some artist or band is to show disrespect to the people, my first discover,

so everybody here have to like all what you like or smile at everything is said?
like if we were workers of a mall or a big commercial market?
where is the crytical distance?

and yes I really know what I'm talking about, when I speak about the avantgarde.. I even got to listen to Reed Ghazala's work after looking at the discussion he had with Sonic in public on the Net !!! provoqued by a letter on The Wire mag
I lived that in real time!! and I really really give the value to that wonderful sound and vision..........

anyhow, I have just posted my review on that Spiritualized disc (on spanish and english) here:

http://peruavantgarde.blogspot.com/2012 ... sweet.html

and here only in spanish: http://www.sugar-time.com/resena/504-sp ... -2012.html

Cheers from North Lima, Perú

Wilder.

:roll:
OK so this is totally fucking boring. So boring, I'm tempted not to comment- but being a moderator I probably should...

Please feel free to have an opinion on anyone's music, including Spiritualized- in the appropriate thread and forum. You posted a link to the new album, which some of us are waiting for and are very excited about. Please show us some respect. If you'd like to discuss Avant-Garde music, then create a thread for it. I'd be more than happy to talk to you about it. I am HUGELY into Avant-Garde music and E.A.R. Although, I fear you over estimate E.A.R's importance- which probably means you don't actually know the genre or it's innovators all that well. But if you genuinely want some real music discussion then please show some manners and some actual genuine interest. You're coming off as a wanker, nothing more.
To quote Judge Judy;
'Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining'

And as for the rest of the discussions about the sound quality of the album- no point in commenting until the actual album is out! I'm certainly not wasting my (professional) opinion on any streams.

In the meantime I'm listening to these tunes as songs and loving them as such!
:D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

You are missing the point Wilder. It's like going onto a Man Utd fans forum and saying they are now rubbish and that Man City are the greatest team in the world, and then wondering why people didn't like what you said.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

kromosapiens wrote:
anyhow, I have just posted my review on that Spiritualized disc (on spanish and english) here:

http://peruavantgarde.blogspot.com/2012 ... sweet.html

and here only in spanish: http://www.sugar-time.com/resena/504-sp ... -2012.html

Cheers from North Lima, Perú

Wilder.
Is there a reason you have to mention Sonic in everything? Thats fine if you worship at the altar of Sonic Boom. A lot of folks who post here are fans too.
Last time I looked at the top of the page it says Spiritualized,.Not Spacemen 3. Not Sonic Boom. Not avant garde.
While you may continually want to push the "avant garde" out to its furthest edges that isn't the direction Jason chose to go in commercially. He still has that side but chooses side projects to satisfy that part of his music. Sonic did.
So I have no idea why its such a revelation to you or one that you seem to need to post here with your ax to grind.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

No wonder your a ' kromo sapien ' you seem to be lacking a reasonable i.q. - that's intelligence quotient if you didn't know already.

Don't like SPZ, then sod off this website ! You'll get a lot of good discussions on Sonic's site - ha :P
kromosapiens
Known user

Post by kromosapiens »

Well, first of all I'm kind of activist, do you know what it mean?

music or avantgarde activist you can tell

Also I grew up listening Spiritualized early works which blew my mind and those discs have still a place in my heart/soul/mind/life

I dont worship anyone, perhaps when I was a teenager I did it but not now
besides experimental electronic muzik I'm also in love with philosophy and poetry and authors like Nietzsche, Novalis, Hölderlin, people that felt the same I felt in my soul but centuries ago!!! so it would be kind of idiot to adore anyone when I know of these other human beings and have learned a lot from them too
The work of art has its own existence no matter who did it, that's the very first lesson you can learn
so I dont worship anyone, I even did an album called: SÉ TU PROPIO TÓTEM , translated: BE YOUR OWN TOTEM

Although I understand that in your context, rock and roll context, where even groupies exist, it is pretty usual to find "persons" into that "way of life", well I'm not

cheers from North Lima, Perú

Wilder.

PS: if you really have your beliefs so strong on you why does it bother you that I disagree??
it is like that silly guy who make fun of E.A.R.'s "Data Rape" some posts ago, I didnt even bother to take it/bear it in mind.. well..
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

kromosapiens wrote: PS: if you really have your beliefs so strong on you why does it bother you that I disagree??
it is like that silly guy who make fun of E.A.R.'s "Data Rape" some posts ago, I didnt even bother to take it/bear it in mind.. well..
It bothers me because of how you started this thread in the very first post.
It smacks of a Sonic disciple coming here to start some shit.
Congrats.

Cheers from Ferndale, North Detroit, Motown USA
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)