New Spiritualized for streaming (for free too)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

kromosapiens
Known user

New Spiritualized for streaming (for free too)

Post by kromosapiens »

If anyone is still interested in what Jason is doing with Spiritualized - I sincerely think most of his stuff is only rockandroll shit after "Pure Phase" but here is the link from a spanish mag:

http://www.rockdelux.com/playlist/5652_ ... index.html

Long life E.A.R.!!!!

8)
toomilk
Known user

Re: New Spiritualized for streaming (for free too)

Post by toomilk »

Mustt...resist...urge........
JohnGris
Known user

Post by JohnGris »

Resisted. I'll hold on until my copy drops through the letterbox.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

resistance is futile

indulge yourselves
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Yayyyyyy!!!!

Give me some of that Rock'n'Roll shit!!!!!

(um, don't mind a bit of E.A.R actually. it is of sonic interest)

And NOPE I'm not resisting... I'm just too curious. It is hopeless trying to wait. :D :D :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

im not listening to it, but it's interesting that the 'huh - intro' features on these, but not the outro. maybe that's tacked on the end of the album? can someone who is listening to this please let the rest of us know? cheers!
musicheals2
Known user

Post by musicheals2 »

Couldn't resist...it's...just...beautiful... :shock:
BugTomek
New user

Post by BugTomek »

moop wrote:im not listening to it, but it's interesting that the 'huh - intro' features on these, but not the outro.
isn't outro only included on Japanese release?
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

moop wrote:im not listening to it, but it's interesting that the 'huh - intro' features on these, but not the outro. maybe that's tacked on the end of the album? can someone who is listening to this please let the rest of us know? cheers!
Now, now - wanting it both ways moop? Why not wait a week to find out? Haha
:lol:

Just kidding of course! Will get back to you later, unless someone beats me to it... (in a mixing session at the moment).
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

sunny wrote:
moop wrote:im not listening to it, but it's interesting that the 'huh - intro' features on these, but not the outro. maybe that's tacked on the end of the album? can someone who is listening to this please let the rest of us know? cheers!
Now, now - wanting it both ways moop? Why not wait a week to find out? Haha
:lol:

Just kidding of course! Will get back to you later, unless someone beats me to it... (in a mixing session at the moment).
fair point, haha. i thought it seemed a little strange to include an intro but not the outro. guess i'm a bit of a completist and would rather have a friend get me the japanese version just for the extra track.

am trying to exercise some will-power/self control, but i'm pretty sure i'll cave soon enough.. too weak!
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

The album's glorious. There's no Huh? outro. Well, certainly not as part of the stream.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

moop- I was only teasing! I absolutely see where you're coming from! And I guess you already got you're answer about the stream outro... :wink:
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

yup, no outro.. but i wonder if it needs one after such an epic closer.
it sounds like initial responses are very positive, so i'm happy.
i'll probably join in the listening tonight, with a bottle of wine to celebrate. 8)
musicheals2
Known user

Post by musicheals2 »

I have only 2 tiny gripes with this album. One is that I Am What I Am could have gone on for another 10 minutes lol and the other is So Long You Pretty Things is missing the huge cresendo between the main body and the outro. That's awesome live. That being said it's probably the only Spiritualized album that has completely grabbed me right from the first play with every song. Usually there's a track or two I'm not sure on first time out (Symphony Space, Electric Phase etc).
I'm actually taken aback by how beautiful this is. Even the shambles that is Heading For The Top is beautifully shambolic.
I think J should feel immensly proud of what he's created here.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Great stuff indeed. Laterooms.com office is being subjected to it on repeat.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

and the other is So Long You Pretty Things is missing the huge cresendo between the main body and the outro.
That was my only tiny gripe upon first listen. I loved the space inbetween before the "so long" vocals part started.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

can someone snag this, i can't arsed to
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

the horns on Too Late

lots of little moments like that making me smile
lots of them

overall tho..

i am a little disappointed. or underwhelmed.

i'm still bothered by a lot of the grievances i had from when the material was debuted live last yr.

there is a lack of fresh idea's, especially in the actual songwriting.
how much of sounds like it could have been on LICD? or the last 2 albums?
my brain still switches off during the first half of So Long. Too long.

in fact the opening of So Long is quite indicative of the entire experience - it's good the dubious scary jesus lyric, which actually works as a duet. the whole thing is a balancing act from the sublime to the ridiculous.
& there's too many wobbles in this one in the wrong direction.

i don't mean to suggest there isn't a lot of energy & effort put into it.
& i do enjoy a lot of it.
but it's not quite ambitious or different enough.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
musicheals2
Known user

Post by musicheals2 »

Zenchan wrote:
and the other is So Long You Pretty Things is missing the huge cresendo between the main body and the outro.
That was my only tiny gripe upon first listen. I loved the space inbetween before the "so long" vocals part started.
The banjo on that song works wonderfully though, doesn't it?
CalTheSpaceman+
Known user

Post by CalTheSpaceman+ »

I found 'So Long' real overwhelming.. the choir arrangements are wonderful.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

kromosapiens wrote:If anyone is still interested in what Jason is doing with Spiritualized - I sincerely think most of his stuff is only rockandroll shit after "Pure Phase" but here is the link from a spanish mag:

Long life E.A.R.!!!!

8)
The link is received with gratitude but the rest of your post is bizarre - slightly rude even - so I have no idea where you are coming from here. To supply a useful link and then slag off Spiritualized in the same breath has me scratching my head.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Love Hey Jane, Freedom, So Long.... I am What I am. Can't wait to hear the vinyl, rather than having to listen to a stream. Too difficult to resist listening once I learned it was up!

The thing I find most fascinating about this album is the production/mixing. It's almost anti-Spiritualized in it's directness, and the dense sound of all the previous albums seems to have been cast off in favour of a very direct sound you'd not associate with the band. I'm not dissing this as it really suits the sound of the new material, but it definitely sounds like Spaceman's recorded straight into a computer, albeit doing so as organically as he could given how lavish and rich it still sounds. I know he's touched on the reasons for this approach, so I can understand why he eschewed the studio this time round. What does everyone make of the sound of the recording and production/mixing SWSH? I'm interested on hearing what people here are making of it.

Anyway, congratulations again, Jason Pierce. Already sounds like a winner to me. And it's only going to grow on me once my vinyl copy arrives.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I fucking love it!
Cant wait for the live show(s)!
Not ripping it either.
I'll just listen until I have it in my hands.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

don`t think that rip should be their, sorry ,anyone wants to listen can listen to ther stream until next week,
musicheals2
Known user

Post by musicheals2 »

niamhm wrote:don`t think that rip should be their, sorry ,anyone wants to listen can listen to ther stream until next week,
Agreed. I mean people are going to upload this to file sharing sites no matter but to place it on the official forum? That's not right is it?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its been taken care of.
3manSpace
Known user

Post by 3manSpace »

I think its great !

love the more direct yet some how still gloriously beautiful production/mixing sounds

like the most epic garage rock band ...
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

niamhm wrote:don`t think that rip should be their, sorry ,anyone wants to listen can listen to ther stream until next week,
There.
kromosapiens
Known user

Post by kromosapiens »

Sorry, the thing is that I can't still understand how overrated is Spiritualized music: Jason has been repeating the same album -of standard rock'n'roll- since their 1997 hit Lads & gents, and on the opposite side the efforts and genius works of art made by Sonic Boom and Pete Bain: E.A.R., Spectrum, Alpha Stone, The Urgz, etcetera; has gaining almost no press interest and the big neo-psych public only cares about what mass media wants to sell... :shock:

For example, "Data Rape" by E.A.R. stands very probably as the most avantgarde disc of the whole 20th century , and nobody seem to care...

Jason has misunderstood gospel + standard rock and roll with Real Psychedelia imo.

With my sentences I'm paying for the inventiveness these artists show. Nothing more , nothing less.

Cheers from North Lima, Perú.

Wilder.

runcible wrote:
kromosapiens wrote:If anyone is still interested in what Jason is doing with Spiritualized - I sincerely think most of his stuff is only rockandroll shit after "Pure Phase" but here is the link from a spanish mag:

Long life E.A.R.!!!!

8)
The link is received with gratitude but the rest of your post is bizarre - slightly rude even - so I have no idea where you are coming from here. To supply a useful link and then slag off Spiritualized in the same breath has me scratching my head.
kromosapiens
Known user

Post by kromosapiens »

Oh Sweet Kosmos let Sonic Boom release their new Spectrum LP this year too !!!!!!
or
let Pete Bassman release a new album too!!!!

if the Spectrum new one is similar in quality than their last cd, 1997's Forever Alien, that would be another Big Bang for the space-rock & neo-psych international (not only peruvian! ha!) scene!!!!!!!
and so would happened with Bassman new output

http://superspacerecords.bandcamp.com

cheers from North Lima, Perú

Wilder.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

kromosapiens wrote:Sorry, the thing is that I can't still understand how overrated is Spiritualized music: Jason has been repeating the same album -of standard rock'n'roll- since their 1997 hit Lads & gents, and on the opposite side the efforts and genius works of art made by Sonic Boom and Pete Bain: E.A.R., Spectrum, Alpha Stone, The Urgz, etcetera; has gaining almost no press interest and the big neo-psych public only cares about what mass media wants to sell... :shock:

For example, "Data Rape" by E.A.R. stands very probably as the most avantgarde disc of the whole 20th century , and nobody seem to care...

Jason has misunderstood gospel + standard rock and roll with Real Psychedelia imo.

With my sentences I'm paying for the inventiveness these artists show. Nothing more , nothing less.

Wilder.
You did realize you were posting in a Spiritualized message board did you not? I could understand your caveat if you were posting in a Sonic related meassage board. People who read and post here really like Spiritualized. You may not and that is fine.
Your post comes off as mean spirited and condescending.
From someone championing EAR and Data Rape its no wonder you find Spiritualized cliche rock or whatever you called it.
Try Guitar Loops or Silent Sound or any of the Treader releases. Its not like Jason has run out of ideas.
kromosapiens
Known user

Post by kromosapiens »

Yes, I have heard Guitar Loops by Jason , a good work at least very daring

on the other hand, I assumed this was the forum for the people that were part of the old Spacemen 3 mailing list , the Drone-On maling list in the 90's not only for Spiritualized fans that's why a lot of bands have been discussed here? even gothic groups!

anyway I apologize if anyone has felt hurt it was not my intention as I'm now telling

I guess I'm only xtremely interested in music...
Long life the avantgarde space rockers!

Wilder.
spzretent wrote:
kromosapiens wrote:Sorry, the thing is that I can't still understand how overrated is Spiritualized music: Jason has been repeating the same album -of standard rock'n'roll- since their 1997 hit Lads & gents, and on the opposite side the efforts and genius works of art made by Sonic Boom and Pete Bain: E.A.R., Spectrum, Alpha Stone, The Urgz, etcetera; has gaining almost no press interest and the big neo-psych public only cares about what mass media wants to sell... :shock:

Wilder.
You did realize you were posting in a Spiritualized message board did you not? I could understand your caveat if you were posting in a Sonic related meassage board. People who read and post here really like Spiritualized. You may not and that is fine.
Your post comes off as mean spirited and condescending.
From someone championing EAR and Data Rape its no wonder you find Spiritualized cliche rock or whatever you called it.
Try Guitar Loops or Silent Sound or any of the Treader releases. Its not like Jason has run out of ideas.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

There is a Sonic Boom message board or at least web site.
I am not telling you not to come here and express your opinions but it just seemed odd offering up something a lot of us are grateful for but then tearing into Jason in the same post.
I found that perplexing.
Actually i know who you are. I am friends with Randall/Fuxa.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

kromosapiens wrote: For example, "Data Rape" by E.A.R. stands very probably as the most avantgarde disc of the whole 20th century , and nobody seem to care...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

kromosapiens wrote:Sorry, the thing is that I can't still understand how overrated is Spiritualized music: Jason has been repeating the same album -of standard rock'n'roll- since their 1997 hit Lads & gents, and on the opposite side the efforts and genius works of art made by Sonic Boom and Pete Bain: E.A.R., Spectrum, Alpha Stone, The Urgz...
Bullshit.
kromosapiens wrote:Jason has misunderstood gospel + standard rock and roll with Real Psychedelia imo.
In my opinion, it's you that's understood these terms. And I've seen you use that (nonsensical) phrase before too - possibly when you came on here to ask for record deal? Anyway, this just seems like a totally unnecessary attempt to mess with the excitement that's been going around with the awesome live shows and the very imminent new album.

With regards to your first post, if you were to read through this board before posting you would clearly understand that we do care with "what Jason is doing with Spiritualized" - thankfully I assume it has nothing to do with 'The Real Psychedelia', whatever the fuck that is.
O P 8
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

It's also streaming at: http://3voor12.vpro.nl/luisterpaal/albu ... lized.html - audio quality sounds slightly better to me than the NPR link although I might just be imagining it.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

The person who mentioned 'The Closet Mix' of The Velvet Undergrounds 3rd record in another thread was strangely prescient. I understand J's contrarian nature when it comes to his pop songs, but I thought this time when he said he was making a big pop album that it would sound like one, and not this curiously dead thing. Everything sounds disconnected.

I still love the songs, and some of them do sound incredible - Life Is A Problem, in particular, is breathtaking and the fade to SLYPT - and like Hey Jane i'm probably going to rave about it in a few days. But as a first impression....
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

It's a rather odd first listening experience - knowing all the songs already from gigs and bootlegs. I'm initially a bit thrown back by the vocals mix on some songs - but don't want to be too judgmental yet as those streams aren't high quality.
3manSpace
Known user

Post by 3manSpace »

ahhhh the danger of listing to and getting used to live bootlegs
theses are the songs as j wants them !!!
the live thing was one day,a performance, a moment..

:D

flokie wrote:It's a rather odd first listening experience - knowing all the songs already from gigs and bootlegs. I'm initially a bit thrown back by the vocals mix on some songs - but don't want to be too judgmental yet as those streams aren't high quality.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Not sure I agree there - J has spoken at length about how difficult it is to "fix" these songs on record and he prefers to play live! At times he even sounds like he'd rather not have to put them on record at all.

There were some very noticeable differences between the October and March gigs - as a result I'm not so surprised about "So Long" being slightly shorter than it was originally, but I find it's the other way round for "Heading For the Top Now", still is one of the best tracks on the album imo, but I'm slightly disappointed as its intro is rawer and closer to last year's gigs when I thoroughly enjoyed the version we got at the ABC the other week.
3manSpace
Known user

Post by 3manSpace »

so you think he would put out an album that didn't sound the way he wanted ?
flokie wrote:Not sure I agree there - J has spoken at length about how difficult it is to "fix" these songs on record and he prefers to play live! At times he even sounds like he'd rather not have to put them on record at all.

There were some very noticeable differences between the October and March gigs - as a result I'm not so surprised about "So Long" being slightly shorter than it was originally, but I find it's the other way round for "Heading For the Top Now", still is one of the best tracks on the album imo, but I'm slightly disappointed as its intro is rawer and closer to last year's gigs when I thoroughly enjoyed the version we got at the ABC the other week.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

good dope/good fun wrote:
There.
thankx :|
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

3manSpace wrote:so you think he would put out an album that didn't sound the way he wanted ?
Not what I'm saying! The songs he wants them on this record obviously. But he will also take them somewhere new every time he plays them live :)
YerMa
Known user

Post by YerMa »

Aye, it's a belter. Can't wait for the 16th.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Now also streaming on The Guardian website...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

My willpower to hold out for the LP didn't last long. I listened to a few songs via NPR last night. I thought "Too Late" and "Life Is A Problem" both sounded wonderful. "I Am What I Am" seemed a tad muddy and I thought the bass could have been punchier, but I'm hoping that's just a result of a low quality stream. I really want to sit down in front of my stereo and listen to the LP before I make any real judgments.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:The person who mentioned 'The Closet Mix' of The Velvet Undergrounds 3rd record in another thread was strangely prescient. I understand J's contrarian nature when it comes to his pop songs, but I thought this time when he said he was making a big pop album that it would sound like one, and not this curiously dead thing. Everything sounds disconnected.
One reason I've been waiting to get the CD is that I'm mystified by the "dead" flatness of the Hey Jane stream I heard. I've been hoping that the production would make more sense in context. I guess I should know in a week or so.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I couldn't resist the urge to listen today, its been on repeat all day and first impressions are that its sounding great. I knew I was going to love Hey Jane, Heading for the top and I am what I am, but the slower numbers are sucking me in as well, and don't sound too cheesy or mawkish. I was slightly worried the album could sound a bit Richard Ashcrofty, and I know just what Jason's been talking about in interviews about the fine line between a classic song and a cheesy one, and done by others some of these songs could be just too much. But no, its far too good for that. Its still Spritualized. Its still coming down in sheets.

By the way has anyone spotted any dubstep beats yet? :?
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Amazing myself here. Reading, but not yet listening. New Years' resolutions don't last this long.....
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The willpower some of you are showing is pretty amazing.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Have listened non stop to RAH boot though.

Hey Jane single is ace for exercising to! Have had on repeat on exercise bike.... :oops:
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

I've warmed to it, been listening a lot out at the shops/reading today. Still, the production on the 'rock' songs (besides Hey Jane) is mystifying. Especially since the ballads (apart from Little Girl) seem to be more successful. That's how he wants them, I guess, but all the same.

Life Is A Problem would be the utter stand-out if it wasn't for the utterly nonsensical drug reference, which I'd misheard for about, oh, the last 4 years from boots before it's been released here. But that sounds incredible, all the same.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

I've so far managed to hold off on the listening to the stream of this.
The Leamington boot has been on constant rotation in the works van for the last couple of weeks.
Will try and wait til I have the vinyl in my hands - bottle of red and a free hour or 2 with no distractions - before taking in SHSL.
Been liking the video to Hey Jane tho
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

S H S L

Post by BzaInSpace »

spzretent wrote:The willpower some of you are showing is pretty amazing.
The Twelve Steps wrote: If Your Willpower's Weak, Temptation's Strong...

Ah, I'm gonna leave it as well. They way I see it, I've waited what, four(?!) years or whatever since the last album so a few more days won't make any difference. Pending having the record on Monday - hope so - an awesome listening session awaits and I really want to hear it in all the insanely detailed widescreen glory I expect...

THIS IS GONNA BE AMAZING!!! :D :wink: :lol:

... had a look on the Guardian link there, and following a quick scan through the comments I'm of the opinion that most of those who listened and posted didn't deserve to hear it in the first place. Total fuckwits. Loved the guy who blamed the savage rise of Oasis on Spiritualized though, true satirical genius.
O P 8
evenfreer
Known user

Post by evenfreer »

The bassline on "Get What You Deserve" has a slight dubstep wobble. This is my guess as to what the engineer was referring in his Twitter post.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i think i resisted for about 20 seconds. i'm thinking the record's going to sound pretty different once i hear it on vinyl (the stream does seem to be of pretty low quality and the bass is weak), but i thought that the guitars sounded really sharp and cutting. i think the rockers on this record work a lot better than the ones from 'songs in a&e'- they're certainly a lot stronger as songs. some of the songs i like better as they are on the albert hall bootleg, but i like the overall sound of the album. it's very clean and clear. i'm really happy with it and i can't wait for the vinyl to arrive- it's actually exceeded my initial expectations. i'm most excited for the 3rd to roll around.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

jadams501 wrote: One reason I've been waiting to get the CD is that I'm mystified by the "dead" flatness of the Hey Jane stream I heard. I've been hoping that the production would make more sense in context. I guess I should know in a week or so.
I was listening to a CD promo of it last night and it definitely was not flat. It sounded fantastic. You won't be disappointed.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I listened to the audio stream last night while cooking dinner. I have only listened once...I'll wait until I have a proper audio source before I listen again and properly absorb and digest the record. But, initial feelings are good.

One thing I will say....there's certainly a lot going on - even more so than 'A&E'. It feels like quite a grand album with all the strings, orchestration, yet also some stripped down harder rock tunes . But, nothing felt out of place, which is good.

I look forward to the live shows where the songs can really come to life and have some room to breathe.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

MattBenn wrote:I'm also one of the few gutted about the lack of the little section that bridges the two halves of So Long You Pretty Things without the vocals. I've got so used to the Other Voices version, it wigs me out when the vocals come straight in.
It threw me for a loop too at first but I am getting used to it after a few listens. I really like the slower tempo and Jason's vocal delivery on the second half.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I'm waiting for the CD so I can play it in my car for the first time.

Excited!
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
clewsr
Known user

Re: S H S L

Post by clewsr »

BzaInSpace wrote:
... had a look on the Guardian link there, and following a quick scan through the comments I'm of the opinion that most of those who listened and posted didn't deserve to hear it in the first place. Total fuckwits. Loved the guy who blamed the savage rise of Oasis on Spiritualized though, true satirical genius.
I know Baz, quite a selection of angry comments. I can understand people saying 'I used to like them better when....' but lots of people posting to say 'I never liked them at all' seems a bit pointless. Why are you bothering to look at the article anyway? If I see an article on the Manic Street Preachers or The Strokes, I just walk on by, I don't do't go and vent my spleen about how pointless I think they are. I guess that's the internet for you. That Oasis one was just ridiculous though. If anyone should be blamed for Oasis, its Oasis, or the Beatles!
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

toomilk wrote:
jadams501 wrote: One reason I've been waiting to get the CD is that I'm mystified by the "dead" flatness of the Hey Jane stream I heard. I've been hoping that the production would make more sense in context. I guess I should know in a week or so.
I was listening to a CD promo of it last night and it definitely was not flat. It sounded fantastic. You won't be disappointed.
I purchased the Hey Jane MP3 and even that sounds better than the stream. The earphones I normally use don't have much bass, so I tried different ones and that was another improvement. I was initially a bit puzzled by the sound and the vocals in particular, so I'll now try and avoid those streams until I get the actual record!
3manSpace
Known user

Post by 3manSpace »

Listening to SLSH once again. Check list: Jesus ✔ Fire ✔ Soul ✔ Heaven ✔ Death ✔ Mary ✔ All present and correct.
3manSpace
Known user

Post by 3manSpace »

opps

make that SHSL :D