50 most collectable records

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

50 most collectable records

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
redcloud
Known user

Re: 50 most collectable records

Post by redcloud »

Hmmmmm....

The problem with lists like this is they are so subjective and narrow in their focus. This is only one list and it compiles mainly major releases (yet, somehow doesn't have The Beatles butcher baby cover?). There are countless private presses that are "holy grails" and worth well into the thousands. An original issue Zerfas LP in mint condition for instance would probably go for $3,000+. The first Perth County Conspiracy album that was originally recorded for radio play only with fewer than a 100 or so pressed would possibly sell for $5,000+. Why are they not on this list? Probably too obscure to include or those who compiled this list don't even know about these obscure gems.

Saying that, I had no idea 'God Save The Queen' was worth THAT much.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

'bout 20 years ago, some one offered me the A&M version of god save for 300 quid, that was pricey back then i thought, i dunno how its jumped this high?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

funny they had that Dead Kennedys album in the list ,recently took some cds to a second hand store and floated the idea of bringing the owner some vinyl to sell ,he asked what kinda thing I was thinking off ,and I told him I had a lot of different stuff ,what would he be interested in ,and he said punk ,specifically the Kennedy`s,which I have them all original pressings including inserts and posters ,maybe hang onto them now,
keeponrockin
Known user

Post by keeponrockin »

Don't forget the impossible to find (I looked for 20 years) Stereolab / Spacemen 3 split 7"

I think Runcible has a copy.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

keeponrockin wrote:Don't forget the impossible to find (I looked for 20 years) Stereolab / Spacemen 3 split 7"

I think Runcible has a copy.
Man - at one point I had all the copies in a plastic bag and had to cut the sleeves to size myself...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

solarflarez wrote:'bout 20 years ago, some one offered me the A&M version of god save for 300 quid, that was pricey back then i thought, i dunno how its jumped this high?
Problem with this record is that there are so many 'dodgy' copies around it's hard to tell an original, anybody know how you can spot the real thing :?:
'Remember, change is not good'
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

BVCP206 wrote:Problem with this record is that there are so many 'dodgy' copies around it's hard to tell an original, anybody know how you can spot the real thing :?:
i guess this is a problem with any extremely rare record... just as with anything else, there is a price level at which it becomes rather tempting for someone to press counterfeit copies. i know that the first veejay beatles album is one such example (i own one fake copy myself, luckily i didn't pay much for it as i didn't know when i bought it how much it would have cost if it was authentic... :))

speaking of collectable records, one of the holy grails as far as i'm concerned is up for sale now on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261001868238?ss ... 1438.l2649
an original copy of "upsetters 14 dub blackboard jungle", one of the first dub albums to appear ever and imho the very best! only 300 copies ever produced, before it was eventually rereleased as "blackboard jungle dub" (with a slight change of content and new song titles). although $755 is far too much for me to pay for any record, it will sure be interesting to see where this one ends... :P
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

it ended at $1033, now that's a lot... :P