Mastering/Pressing

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

solarflarez
Known user

Re: Mastering/Pressing

Post by solarflarez »

moop wrote:
moop wrote:
solarflarez wrote:on the bright side, The Pharmacy has two thousand copies of the white version at 7 pence each :)
ok, you got me on this one. for some reason i though you were speaking literally.
damn... would have been cool though...
ha ha, sorry moop, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit :) but........in 20 years or so, how much will that "fabled withdrawn white vinyl Spiritualized LP " be worth? :D

EDIT
ooops.....angelsighs beat me to it on this one
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

If the white Fat Possum pressing comes out ok, I doubt that the Domino/Double Six white pressing will wind up being valuable, but you never know.
t0kdag0n
Known user

Post by t0kdag0n »

TheWarmth wrote:If the white Fat Possum pressing comes out ok, I doubt that the Domino/Double Six white pressing will wind up being valuable, but you never know.
What? You don't collect 180 gram unplayable limited edition white vinyl? :wink:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Now they want me to email them a photo of it too, woweeeee. The print screen only shows I bought the album, not the white version.
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

well if anyone wants to offload a copy of their unlistenable white vinyl i'll gladly take it off their hands, let me know what price or when i get a chance i'll have search through my collection and see what duplicate spz stuff i have for trade, think i've a few bits and bobs knocking around somewhere that someone might want
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

laid back in the sun wrote:well if anyone wants to offload a copy of their unlistenable white vinyl i'll gladly take it off their hands, let me know what price or when i get a chance i'll have search through my collection and see what duplicate spz stuff i have for trade, think i've a few bits and bobs knocking around somewhere that someone might want
Same here...
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

My black vinyl replacement has just turned up. Complete sleeve too. Not got a chance to play it right now, perhaps someone else can take that plunge?

Absolute first class customer service. Makes spending money on vinyl and tangible music seem worth all the while.

Thanks to Domino, Vinyl Factory and everyone who made this happen!

Update
Actually gonna give it a spin! First track sounds great so far. Looking forward to Heading for the Top. Hey Jane sounding better than the 7" too. Result!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Mine has been posted today. Looking forward to it!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Although I still think they need to tell the record stores about the problem!
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Replacement copy arrived. Great service, well done everyone concerned.

Will check out vinyl later, but have just compared sleeves. Green is a slightly different shade on the two copies - not sure J would have planned that! No criticism intended though, and don't need a further replacement copy to rectify!
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

My replacement arrived this morning. Thoroughly impressed by the customer service on this. Not at all impressed by the postie who left it out in the rain. Luckily only the mailer has gone soggy.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
sendy
Known user

Post by sendy »

toomilk wrote:
laid back in the sun wrote:well if anyone wants to offload a copy of their unlistenable white vinyl i'll gladly take it off their hands, let me know what price or when i get a chance i'll have search through my collection and see what duplicate spz stuff i have for trade, think i've a few bits and bobs knocking around somewhere that someone might want
Same here...
Hi! I have a white vinyl which I will happily trade with you (or sell if you dont have anything to trade). Wouldn't charge more than face value (including postage). Feel free to contact me.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Come home to find my replacement black vinyl waiting for me. Can't quite believe what a quick turn-around this has been. Got Hey Jane on at the moment. Yes the vocals are still to the fore but at least they're not muffled now and I can finally hear some bass and other instrumentation. Two new Spiritualized albums for the price of one...result. Thanks again for everyone involved in making this happen :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

sm-iom wrote:Replacement copy arrived. Great service, well done everyone concerned.

Will check out vinyl later, but have just compared sleeves. Green is a slightly different shade on the two copies - not sure J would have planned that! No criticism intended though, and don't need a further replacement copy to rectify!

Sounds great...
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

anybody else having difficulty reaching The Vinyl Factory ,emails keep coming back failed :(
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Are you sure you have email address correct - customerservice@thevinylfactory.com

Email response within hours, and discs within a day.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So my new copy arrived today, very quick turnaround!

There's no doubt that this copy sounds a lot (A LOT) better. I hate to say though, I'm still not totally sold by the way it sounds. Maybe the whole experience has made me confused.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:So my new copy arrived today, very quick turnaround!

There's no doubt that this copy sounds a lot (A LOT) better. I hate to say though, I'm still not totally sold by the way it sounds. Maybe the whole experience has made me confused.
I would download the WAVs and give them a listen James. To my ears the album has been mixed to sound quite dry and bright. By this, I mean that there is very little bass and a sense that the album has been recorded live to disk. The fact that the vocals appear largely untreated and are so 'front and centre' on each track emphasizes the feeling. It is unlike anything else in my collection really.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

olan wrote: To my ears the album has been mixed to sound quite dry and bright. By this, I mean that there is very little bass and a sense that the album has been recorded live to disk. The fact that the vocals appear largely untreated and are so 'front and centre' on each track emphasizes the feeling. It is unlike anything else in my collection really.
agreed, even when played after Raw Power, White Light / White Heat or any number of badly recorded boots....
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

To be honest, I've just finished my second spin since it turned up and it's sounded a lot better than I initially thought. Little Girl is just 1 track that isn't sounding right to me though, but maybe it's because I loved the live version so much before I heard the album?

I think after all the shite involved with the release of this album though... We have to just stop and say, honest to god, what a brilliant collection of songs.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

i was just gonna say the same thing, except that the compression/overly-trebly mixes seems to be deliberately more on the 'rockers'. by contrast, the 'ballads' seem much more balanced. i wonder if this was one of the changes jason made after sending out the CDs for review, so he could mix them how he wanted, without being criticised for it. anyway, like others on here, the mix really threw me at first, but i've grown to enjoy it for what it is. i definitely agree with you that knowing the live versions can make the album versions seem 'wrong', but that feeling kinda fades with more listens (at least for me).

all this talk about the mix is making me imagine the results if jason did a NIN style remix project, where fans could download the individual recordings for each track and mix them themselves. We'd probably get a hundred 'pure heart, sweet phase's, haha :lol:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The black vinyl arrived here yesterday. I was very surprised at what a difference the pressing makes. The black vinyl has power depth etc. I quite like the digital version of the album, but this is something else. Best new record by Spiritualized this century by some distance. Kudos to Spazed99, The Vinyl Factory and the band for getting the replacement records out so swiftly. Brilliant, brilliant music.

I'm not going to shit on about this any more.....honestly! :roll:
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

whoop whoop...my Japanese import has arrived!!! shall report on my findings later when i get home from work...
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

okay, to my ears there is a definate difference. japanese cd pressing is much more defined, instrumentation is clearer and appears to have a touch more bass. this is the one i will listen to.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spunder wrote:okay, to my ears there is a definate difference. japanese cd pressing is much more defined, instrumentation is clearer and appears to have a touch more bass. this is the one i will listen to.
woah seriously... could just be a kind of 'placebo' effect? if not that shows us there is definitely mastering problems then.

don't want to harp on about it, but still listening to the album a fair amount and its frustrating that the music itself I am largely happy with, but just wish it had been mastered warmer and with more space between instruments. some bits sound really shrill turned up loud too.
maybe the mastering is Jasons tribute to Back In The USA? :)

that aside, I would congratulate Jason on a fine album overall. better than both Amazing Grace and A&E I think.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

not kidding...it sounds *miles* better. can clearly hear all kinds of shit i couldnt on the CD i bought in Fopp on release day... i havent listened to the d/l's tho. maybe just a bad batch???????
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

moop wrote:i was just gonna say the same thing, except that the compression/overly-trebly mixes seems to be deliberately more on the 'rockers'. by contrast, the 'ballads' seem much more balanced. i wonder if this was one of the changes jason made after sending out the CDs for review, so he could mix them how he wanted, without being criticised for it. anyway, like others on here, the mix really threw me at first, but i've grown to enjoy it for what it is. i definitely agree with you that knowing the live versions can make the album versions seem 'wrong', but that feeling kinda fades with more listens (at least for me).

all this talk about the mix is making me imagine the results if jason did a NIN style remix project, where fans could download the individual recordings for each track and mix them themselves. We'd probably get a hundred 'pure heart, sweet phase's, haha :lol:
With all this talk of how the albums has been mixed for general release - I suppose the pre release mix for review purposes is gonna be on a lot of peoples wish lists for ebay/discogs.Be interesting to see how the 2 compare.
Time to start searching
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Just played my black vinyl copy and although I thought my white copy was 'ok' the black is far superior, in fact I would go as far as to say a revelation, depth and clarity are superb :D

Oh and I'm loving the songs too :lol:
'Remember, change is not good'
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

A few weeks ago, I joked about how maybe the promo/review copy ended up as the master for the release. Now I'm starting to wonder if it did end up being the official, initial release. These things have definitely happened in the past.
spaceben
Known user

Post by spaceben »

I'm still waiting for my replacement copy, but I am in australia so it's not that much of a surprise.

getting a little antsy for it though.
jfm55
Known user

Post by jfm55 »

Are people happy with the US white vinyl? I have mine on now, and there is a lot of surface noise (which harkens back to the original post). Generally I am not picky about surface noise, but it stands out on this record. It could be that I am noticing it more because I am listening through headphones, I have not played it out loud yet.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I actually did a vinyl transfer with my Fat Possum pressing. There is some surface noise, but I didn't find it too bothersome, at least while I was doing the transfer. I will give it another listen soon.

Edit: I listened back to a few tracks from my vinyl transfer and only on the very, very quiet moments is it very noticeable, such as the intro to "Freedom". I don't think it's an issue. I'm very happy with this pressing.
spaceben
Known user

Post by spaceben »

I still haven't got my replacement copy yet.

Starting to get pretty annoyed, if I'm putting it mildly.

Vinyl Factory keep saying that it's been sent, but it doesn't take 6+ weeks for stuff to make it to Australia.
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

my replacement copy turned up on saturday but they hadn't paid the postage on it! thankfully the postman had lost the sticker thingy showing how much i should have to pay for their unpaid postage and in his own words 'i cant be arsed sorting it out' so it didn't cost me anything but i'd have been pretty pissed off if it had! was this just a one off mistake or has anyone else had the same??
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
spaceben
Known user

Post by spaceben »

maybe that explains why mine hasn't shown up at all.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I had no problem receiving the replacement vinyl and I live in the States. When the announcement was made I sent an email to the Vinyl Factory with my receipt from Rough Trade attached. The next day I got a very friendly email saying that the replacement would be sent out shortly. It showed up on my doorstep 10 days later, it was as simple as that. Now that's what I call top notch customer service!!!
spaceben
Known user

Post by spaceben »

Minky wrote:I had no problem receiving the replacement vinyl and I live in the States. When the announcement was made I sent an email to the Vinyl Factory with my receipt from Rough Trade attached. The next day I got a very friendly email saying that the replacement would be sent out shortly. It showed up on my doorstep 10 days later, it was as simple as that. Now that's what I call top notch customer service!!!

I did exactly the same thing, with the same results, courteous reply and all, just without a record arriving.
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

my replacement copy made it to sweden without problems