A+E in Context of SHSL

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jadams501
Known user

A+E in Context of SHSL

Post by jadams501 »

One of my issues with Songs in A&E was that it didn't quite feel like a complete Spiritualized album. It branched off in some intriguing directions, and had the Electricity-esque rockers and some gospel lullabies, but it didn't seem like a comprehensive statement like the previous few records had been. I've long suspected that J's odd use of the haphazard "Harmony" tracks were sort of a crutch that implicitly recognized the incompleteness of the record. Given the tentativeness of some of the songwriting, I had wondered if J's days of making albums that felt more definitive were over.

SHSL has allayed those concerns for me. It feels like definitive Spiritualized in a way that A&E did not, even though it lacks some stylistic mainstays. And, for me, it's helped me to appreciate some of the individual tracks from A&E without the weight of expectation of it being the latest incarnation of Spiritualized. A lot of those songs feel to me like interesting B-Sides or the kind of thing that would be on a sprawling double-album.

I put together a playlist that more or less alternates tracks from the album (minus most of the Harmonies), and it is a surprisingly natural fit. That may end up being how I primarily listen to both albums.
The Dr
Known user

Re: A+E in Context of SHSL

Post by The Dr »

huh? intro feels like a continuation of a&e which was a continuation of 'mr lonely ost' and also one of the harmonies is the intro bars to 'silent sound' :) personally i like it
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I do think that A&E and SHSL have a lot of similarities in sound and production. they are kind of companion pieces, and I think if you like one you probably like the other (and if you hated A&E you are probably not gonna like SHSL). however both albums do each have these little curveballs in there
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

What's the playlist?

I agree, A&E sounds better to me in light of this record. I didn't really enjoy it when it came out, and still feel it tapers off pretty sharply at the end. It and AG still strike me was the weakest records in the Spiritualized catalog, whereas this one...well, I hate to use the term "return to form," but I think it's a great, great album. For reasons I can't fully discern, I think it's the most joyful and open record Pierce has ever made. (And--is it just me, or are the interviews around this record intriguing as well? He seems more open there, too: more conversational and relaxed, whereas in bygone days he always seemed very guarded, inclined to repeat the same deflective stuff.)
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

See, I think A&E was a real step forward in terms of his songwriting - the way he explored relationships both romantic and otherwise, the relative lack of Jesus (which is a sticking point, I suppose), and a progression from before - and the arrangements, which were quite inventive (Don't Hold Me Close, The Waves Crash In, Sweet Talk, to name a few). And I liked the Harmony bits, especially how they bookend sides on the vinyl.

This doesn't feel like the same step forward, he's relying on more of the same cliches from his own music (and never mind the amount of 'classic' stuff that's in there) and I don't think the arrangements are quite as unique. I guess as a simple, uncomplicated statement (which seems to be his intention, to be fair), it's effective. But I don't think he's pushing forward as hard as he was on A&E.

That said, the lyrics to Heading For The Top are really great. Almost enough to make up for the amount of times he says 'a little bit of heaven in her soul' and suchlike. And Freedom's second verse is really good.
But he got rid of all the best lyrics in I Am What I Am! All of the new ones aren't.... right? Like, a heart can feed a kiss, some men don't wait for time, faith can get your soul (unless he's saying the concept of a soul is incompatible with faith) and I don't get the pound of flesh or rocket ship ones. Nothing quite as simple as 'I'm the beat that plays the drum' or funny as 'I am the gun that shoots the man'. That's clever. But for a song consisting of puns, they should all work.

I should stop griping before you all kill me :D
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I am what I am is the most exciting Spiritualized tracks since I first heard Good Times. The whole record is great.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

PopeJez wrote:I am what I am is the most exciting Spiritualized tracks since I first heard Good Times. The whole record is great.
I also find You Get What You Deserve and especially Headin' For The Top Now exciting on the order of Things'll Never Be The Same or Take Me To The Other Side. There's something very fresh and bracing about this record.
A saint wrote:What's the playlist?
I don't know if this playlist is in its final form yet, but this is it for now, divided into 2 discs:

Huh? (Intro)
Hey Jane
Harmony 1
Sweet Talk
Little Girl
I Gotta Fire
Get What You Deserve
Death Take Your Fiddle
Soul on Fire
Too Late
Sitting on Fire
Yeah Yeah