Jason Talking about the Cover/BNM!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Hofstadter
Known user

Jason Talking about the Cover/BNM!

Post by Hofstadter »

Not sure if this ever got posted so:

http://pitchfork.com/features/take-cove ... e=features

Jason talking about the album art.

Also:

It BNM'd! Not that that really means anything but still.

Here's the link if you haven't seen it yet.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/165 ... eet-light/

I have restrained myself and decided to wait until the album came in the mail -- seems like the vinyl issues are pretty bad though so I might just listen to the web download... can't wait though!!!
Luminescence
Known user

Re: Jason Talking about the Cover/BNM!

Post by Luminescence »

Thanks for this. Good album review...Unlike NME's review which I didn't agree with.
Hey Jayne
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

This is probably going to be the lamest thing ever to be posted on this board!

Origin of the motorway shot from the inside cover:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M6_mo ... ngland.jpg

M6 motorway just South of junction 29, Preston, Lancashire - looking south
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Getting a BNM rating from Pitchfork is a BIG DEAL. Does it mean something? Fuck yes it does. It means record and ticket sales. This is going to be a big boost for SHSL.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I hope the pitchfork thumbs up gives Spaceman a sales boost, but for me personally i generally have contempt for pitchfork and their trendy posturing. On a cultural level i wish them as minimal influence as possible.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Don't get me wrong, I have issues with Pitchfork, too. I'm 100% convinced that they are taking payola to push fucking Fiona Apple on us right now (has anyone else noticed how many news posts, live reviews, etc. etc. they have posted about her recently?), but the fact that they've given SHSL an excellent review can only be seen as good news for Spiritualized.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

TheWarmth wrote:I'm 100% convinced that they are taking payola to push fucking Fiona Apple on us right now (has anyone else noticed how many news posts, live reviews, etc. etc. they have posted about her recently?)\
If you feel that way you should read HipsterRunoff's articles about Fiona Apple recently -- they are hilarious. Some people may find them a tad offensive, but you have to remember they are all tongue-in-cheek, as with everything Carles does.

A lot of P4k reviews rely way too much on silly metaphors that really get away from the core of the music, or they rely way too much on going through track by track and citing what they think the musical influences are, or they rely way too much on using hyphen's and slashes to throw together genres in an attempt to classify the music. You always remember that you are reading a review with most of the writers on the site. I enjoy some of their work. Regardless of whatcha think of their rating system/BNM (which they actually have a pretty good explanation of why an "8.0" album can BNM and in the same week an "8.7" doesn't), I think they are by far the best sort of general news site for independent music today (at least american source).

This is a little off topic though... maybe in a little while (i.e. after release week once conversations can be directed somewhere else) I wouldn't mind starting a thread where people can talk about their opinions of Pitchfork/Other Sites and Mags/The Act of Reviewing Music in general -- I loved reading people's thoughts in the thread about the Mojo/NME reviews etc.