Sleepy Sun - Spine Hits (new LP)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

redcloud
Known user

Sleepy Sun - Spine Hits (new LP)

Post by redcloud »

I posted the streaming link for the new album in the gigs section. Might be best to put it here where more may see it.

I LOVE this band. If you are new to them I highly recommend checking out 2009's 'Embrace' and 2010's successor, 'Fever'. Both albums are essential in my opinion. They are laced with super high octane acid guitar, tribal percussion, wonderful male/female vocal interplay that is reminiscent of the Jefferson Airplane and topped off with just the right amount of prog to never over stay its welcome. Easily my two favorite albums of 2009 and 2010 (they are also brilliant live and currently touring!).

This new album is their first since the female vocalist, Rachel left the band and judging on one listen it sounds great!

http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/strea ... spine-hits
moop
Known user

Re: Sleepy Sun - Spine Hits (new LP)

Post by moop »

agreed, love this band. I'm glad they can still make great music with just the one singer. think i prefer the first two at the moment, but will give this album more time and see what happens...
there's a couple of tracks which seem to be pushing in new directions for the band, which i definitely approve of.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Agree about the first two albums. "Fever" is just a stunning album and its a big fav with my two youngest kids too. Get a lot of play around here.

I have to say i was a little hesitant when i heard the female vocalist had left as i felt she really added a rather lovely dimension to the songs, but first listen of the stream suggests they've managed to cope without. Think this one is a bit more of a grower (not quite as immediately impressionable as the first two albums IMO) but thats not a bad thing...

I am GUTTED they won't be doing more gigs in the UK. Trips to Londinium for gigs are just not possible just now.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I watched Sleepy Sun's soundcheck last Friday and thought they sounded really good, but by the time the White Hills were done with their set, my ears were exhausted. I didn't wind up watching much of S.S., as a result. They were super nice guys, though. We bonded over our mutual admiration of David Lynch and Dune.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

great band, I really enjoyed the first album, but haven't checked out anything since for some reason. also saw them at ATP and it was a really good show, kinda psychedelic with crunchy bits and great bass and it also had a real feelgood vibe to it as well
Laz69 wrote:I am GUTTED they won't be doing more gigs in the UK. Trips to Londinium for gigs are just not possible just now.
same here. this really annoys me. not everyone can get to London easily (or desires to :) ) but loads of really good American bands just play the capital. I'm sure they would love to play to as many people as they can, but there are probably financial reasons for it (although I would say that if you've paid air fares etc getting over, then it would pay to play as many gigs as possible once you are over here. but i'm not the one crunching the numbers I guess)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

angelsighs wrote:great band, I really enjoyed the first album, but haven't checked out anything since for some reason. also saw them at ATP and it was a really good show, kinda psychedelic with crunchy bits and great bass and it also had a real feelgood vibe to it as well
'Fever' is brilliant too. Angelsighs, if you like 'Embrace' you will not be disappointed by 'Fever'. The closer, 'Sandstorm Woman' is just phenomenal. Warmth, it's a shame you missed their set when they played Chicago. I like White Hills but I think Sleepy Sun actually have greater depth and their songs are more complex. Where WH go for volume and bludgeoning the listener, the two guitarists in SS (imo) utilize more musical vocabulary to get where they want.

Laz, I agree about Rachel. I saw them twice with her and she was a HUGE presence on the stage. Her voice also complimented the bands acid soaked sounds and the male voice. The two vocalists also had a wonderful chemistry on stage. Last September, they played Portland again without her and I went somewhat hesitant not knowing what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. Their sound has changed as you can hear on the new record but they still channel huge amounts of energy and it is hard not to get sucked into their live show. And, those guitars...well, quite honestly, I'm not sure if there is a better acid guitar duo at the moment than those two dudes in Sleepy Sun. WOW. Listening to the earlier albums last night and tunes like 'Sleepy Son' and the already mentioned, 'Sandstorm Woman' just blow my head off.

Can't wait until they play here on May 13 (w/out WH).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

redcloud wrote:
angelsighs wrote:great band, I really enjoyed the first album, but haven't checked out anything since for some reason. also saw them at ATP and it was a really good show, kinda psychedelic with crunchy bits and great bass and it also had a real feelgood vibe to it as well
'Fever' is brilliant too. Angelsighs, if you like 'Embrace' you will not be disappointed by 'Fever'. The closer, 'Sandstorm Woman' is just phenomenal.

I'll check it out. I think I remember reading about Sandstorm Woman in the reviews- its a big old psych blow out isn't it?

this new one has been getting quite negative reviews from what I've read (isn't is a bit more mellow?) but I'll have a listen to the stream and make my own mind up
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

angelsighs wrote:this new one has been getting quite negative reviews from what I've read (isn't is a bit more mellow?) but I'll have a listen to the stream and make my own mind up

I'd say the new one is a bit mellower in vibe compared to Fever which was a big-bass-boogie-tastic slice of psych.

"Sandstorm Woman" is possibly one of the best album closers (and one of the best songs) for me of the last decade...
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

was that ATP about 3 yrs ago when Fuck Buttons and Spz played? that was my introduction to Sleepy Sun, i was whacked out me gourd on some MDMA and i thought i'd walked into a Jefferson Airplane rehearsal...they were amazing...not listened to the new elpee, can they carry it off without their Grace Slick?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

listened to the stream 2/3 times at the start of the week and really liked it ,basically on your rec. never reall got round to checking them out before ,read some reviews ,which were almost universlly negative to one extent or an other,what do they know :?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spunder wrote:
was that ATP about 3 yrs ago when Fuck Buttons and Spz played? that was my introduction to Sleepy Sun, i was whacked out me gourd on some MDMA and i thought i'd walked into a Jefferson Airplane rehearsal...they were amazing...not listened to the new elpee, can they carry it off without their Grace Slick?
yup it was xmas 2009. fuck buttons also played whom I missed, but Spz definitely didn't play. I think they did the other ATP that year

that sleepy sun show was great. I just remember it leaving me with a big smile on my face
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

First time I saw this band I knew nothing about them and went on a recommendation. I stood there with about 250 other people and was totally in awe at what I was witnessing and hearing. It was one of those "fucking hell!" musical moments where you think you are witnessing the second coming. Honestly, I was very moved.

I've only heard the new record twice but I don't know if I would describe it as being mellower. 'Fever' has some mellow moments too. It is quite different though but not in a bad way. They have moved forward, which is good. The songs do seem shorter and the jams less tribal and lysergic than on the first two records. If I had one area that I would like them to have done more on this record it would be to hear the guitarists let loose and jam a bit longer.

One thing I will say, I do think Bret's voice, without Rachel, has had to grow to fill the space that the band create. Because of this, to me, it is actually better on this album than its two predecessors.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

4/5 listens now ,and its got some really good songs ,but it seems a bit more rock than I expected,not so much psychedelic,
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

niamhm wrote:4/5 listens now ,and its got some really good songs ,but it seems a bit more rock than I expected,not so much psychedelic,
I agree. I like it though. I especially like 'Creature'. It will be interesting to hear how these new songs sound live. The guitarists might have less restraint at the live show and the new songs might really open up.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I hadn't heard of Sleepy Sun before -- I haven't listened to the others yet, but I've been listening to Embrace and absolutely loving it!! Just wanted to say thanks so much for turning me on to these doods.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:I hadn't heard of Sleepy Sun before -- I haven't listened to the others yet, but I've been listening to Embrace and absolutely loving it!!
Excellent! Glad you are digging them. I also highly recommend you pick up 'Fever'.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

This is REALLY growing on me now. ""Still Breathing" is giving me goosebumps...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Laz69 wrote:This is REALLY growing on me now. ""Still Breathing" is giving me goosebumps...
Totally agree. These are more traditional "songs" than the previous two LP's. There are also fewer doses of psychedelic wig outs and it's less proggy than the others but it is still a damn good album. I found myself whistling the little guitar coda at the end of 'Boat Trip' today at work.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just saw/heard this... sounds incredible! High hopes...

Sleepy Sun - New song stream "11:32"
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ru8MYJYodU

One of the tracks from their new digital EP

8)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Wow, this track is awesome. After some digging, I found the 7" available in their online store, which, weirdly, is not easy to navigate to via their website. You can take 10% off any order until Dec. 8th using the promo code "SLEEPY2013".

Here's the online store: http://sleepysun.store-08.com/new/
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just listened to the opening track of the new album and it's sounding pretty good!

Sleepy Sun are also on a new 'Psych-Out for Christmas' album:

http://everythingsalrightforever.com/20 ... christmas/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Had a listen to this last night and i think its good. Obviously heard a couple of the songs already and some on the unheard ones are taking a little time to sink in BUT the closing track is a MONSTER of a track!!!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

My son received a subscription to Rolling Stone for Christmas from his grandparents and I was quickly reading through the last issue (good article on Michael Bloomfield!) and the new Sleepy Sun album gets a sub par review. Think they gave it 2/5 stars. Not that I would let RS deter me from buying it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yup, loving this new one myself. the production is nice and thick and juicy.
as said above the last track is a monster, and there's also a great song called Slowdown that had definite shades of psychedelic-era Beatles.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Saw them a few weeks ago, they were awesome
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

burningwheel wrote:Saw them a few weeks ago, they were awesome
They are playing Portland on Tuesday but I'm out of town so will miss them. I have yet to hear the new album though. A local paper says it is ok but doesn't reach the same heights as "Fever".