Cian Ciaran (SFA) - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Cian Ciaran (SFA) - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Post by TheWarmth »

This is a fucking knock-out. A lot of people have been comparing it to Dennis Wilson's and John Lennon's solo work. the album comes out in July. Check it:

http://soundcloud.com/strangetown-recor ... n-ciaran-1
nasty
Known user

Re: Cian Ciaran (SFA) - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Post by nasty »

sounds great, love SFA. thanks!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

This sounds lovely...good to see that Gruff isn't the only one knocking out great tunes. Though I would still love an SFA record/tour soon. Been trying to track down some of their previous albums on vinyl, even though I already own them all on CD.... they're not bloody cheap I can tell you. :shock:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

very good....very Lennon Plastic Ono/ Imagine period , but that aint a bad thing eh? :)
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

And yes, love SFA, Fuzzy Logic is a bit of a masterpiece in my humble lil opinion
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

I am quietly psyched for his album, because his songs on the last few SFA albums have been my favourites and then there's this GEM which was out a little while ago, and I think it might be on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kzdLgRu ... r_embedded
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

TheWarmth wrote: A lot of people have been comparing it to Dennis Wilson's and John Lennon's solo work.

You can say that again. Sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Great, I'm glad this is getting a good response. I have heard three or four songs from the album so far and they are all fantastic. I think the release date is mid-July. Can't wait.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

cheers for the update. i've been missing SFA & SFA-related news recently.
had PP & LK on there a few days ago.
think Atomik Lust is my fave SFA of the moment. Cian doesn't do that one, does he?
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Daf, the drummer, sings lead on "Atomik Lust." Great track, for sure. Cian sings lead on "Walk You Home" and the stellar closing song, "Cabin Fever". Love Kraft is an overlooked album, IMO. The opener, "Zoom," just blows me away every time I hear it. Masterpiece.
tied up
Known user

Post by tied up »

Love Cian's song, definite Dennis Wilson vibes.

And totally agree about Love Kraft, that was the first time i realised SFA were more than just a backing group for Gruff.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

As much as I really, really love SFA, I can never quite figure out who's signing what - with the exception of Gruff, of course. Finding out that Daf sings Atomic Lust is a bit of a revelation, actually.

I should really go back to Love Kraft - I think it's probably the best of the last 3 albums. DD/LY was pretty great too, but looking back, Hey Venus! was probably my least favourite album of all of theirs...

I still think I preferred them when Gruff's voice was the only one... Which is maybe why I find his solo albums so enjoyable - especially Hotel Shampoo. Such a talented guy!

All of the above aside, I think the Cian album looks really promising!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

thanks a lot for the info.. 'cabin fever' is one of my favourite furries tracks.
his songs have a wonderful dennis wilson feel to them, so i'm bound to enjoy the album.
i love this track of his under the 'acid casuals' moniker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvA0hLdA ... re=related
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Have been listening to Love Kraft a lot over the past couple of days... Really picking up on the beauty and how well this album is structured this time around. Such a great 4 track opening, a poppy/crazy middle and beautiful, contemplative ending! Cabin Fever is fantastic!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

tied up wrote:Love Cian's song, definite Dennis Wilson vibes.

And totally agree about Love Kraft, that was the first time i realised SFA were more than just a backing group for Gruff.
Interesting. I can see the backing group perspective when listening to Fuzzy Logic, but on Radiator it seems pretty clear that they are all highly talented musicians. If somehow that didn't seal the deal, then surely Guerrilla, with all of it's insanity, is proof enough of the various members' contributions.

It's really nice to see SFA getting some attention here. I have been a massive fan since they started and, unfortunately, I think their goofy name and sleeve art sometimes gives off the wrong impression. They have made some unbelievably moving, creative and insightful music over the years.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Liking "you & me" a lot too - "martina franca" a bit less so, that actually reminds me a lot of Gruff's solo stuff.

maybe more surprisingly, bass player Guto also has a side project: Gulp, who just have their first single out, "Game Love" and it is brilliant! Bandcamp here: http://store.gulpgulp.co.uk/

And I must admit to overlooking Lovekraft! You guys certainly make it sound like I should revisit it soon :)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like "Martina Franca", but it is melodically quite similar in places to "Heroes & Villians."
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

30 sec. samples now up on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outside-In/dp/B ... ef=mb_oe_o
and Spillers Records are taking LP pre-orders (500 copies Ltd ed.)
http://www.spillersrecords.co.uk/public ... earch=true

and I'll plug Gulp again because "Game Love" is a gem! And the 7" is indeed very pretty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jBMAPx_Pdo
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Uggg. Tried to pre-order and got an error message before I even got to the payment page. Maybe I'll try using my Mac when I get home.

Edit: Still didn't work on my Mac, but Norman has it available, too, so I placed my order through them.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Thanks for the heads up on this Warmth. Its a lovely sounding record from those snippets on Soundcloud. Definitely one for those long summer evenings. Can see this being one the must buys of the year.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Full album can be previewed on Spotify ahead of the UK release on Monday

Doesnt disappoint, flavoured very much like the more reflective SFA (perhaps unsurprisingly but no bad thing), also shades of Dennis Wilson and at times, early 70s 10cc.

Will be adding this one to the collection, there is much to delight the ears!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Has anyone purchased this and, if so, would you be willing to provide me with mp3's? I pre-ordered two copies on vinyl from Norman but they haven't come in yet and I'm dying to hear the record. I'd rather not spend money on the mp3s considering the price of the import vinyl is around $30 per LP.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, I didn't realise that the vinyl version of this wasn't released till next week despite the CD already being available. I've got it on pre-order with my local record store and hoping to pick it up after the weekend (unless they're very nice and let me have it over the weekend). If it comes with download codes I might be able to send the MP3's your way Paul. Will keep you posted.

On an unrelated note, I watched the film "Away We Go"last night with the Mrs and, from the photos I've seen on your Facebook page Paul, you reminded me of the lead guy in it. He's called John Krasinki. Has anyone else ever told you that before or am I being ridiculous? :?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ok, thanks. Do let me know either way if it comes with a download. If it doesn't, I might just break down and buy the mp3's.

As for Krasinski, I'm very familiar with him as I'm a fan of the Office. I don't think anyone has ever said that I look like him, but my wife thinks he's real dreamy, so maybe you're onto something.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Still waiting for the vinyl to materialise I'm afraid. :(
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, major bummer. However, I did manage to obtain mp3s, so at least I can listen to it now! Wonderful album.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Been assured by my local record store that the vinyl is coming in on the 10th Sept...fingers crossed. Is the album still sounding good Paul?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, I think it's great. There are a few songs that don't really take off, but overall I really enjoy it. I was told by the label that they'd be in stores last week, but guess we have to wait until next week. Thanks for the update.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Any word on the vinyl from your local shop, Mr. Shines? As far as I can tell, Norman still don't have copies in stock.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Nothing yet... I reckon there must be a problem at the pressing plant. Off to Festival Number 6 in a couple of days so hopefully it'll be waiting in store upon my return.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I noticed that HMV's website now lists the LP release date as Sept. 24th. We'll see.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just popped into town and still no news of this at my local record store. I had to consol myself with the latest Dinosaur Jr. LP instead. :wink: :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Paul, just had an e-mail from my local record store saying that the Cian Ciaran vinyl is finally ready for collection. Thank fuck for that.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yes, that's good news. I noticed that Cian posted on Facebook that the vinyl is now shipping. Hopefully mine will be on it's way to the US soon. I think this album will sound wonderful on vinyl.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I've finally bloody got it. Almost cant quite believe it. Spinning it now...sounds fucking lush. :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Great!!! Mine shipped, so I should have it in a week or so. I read an interview with Cian a few months ago in which he said that he's nearing completion on another solo record that's more uptempo, rock stuff. Hopefully, that will come out next year. I'm still waiting anxiously for SFA LP10, but with Gruff so busy doing his crazy U.S. tour and recording an accompanying album for that, plus Bunf still working on his album and Guto doing Gulp, it's not really looking like it's going to happen soon.