Spiritualized - Live in Concert (NPR)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

CalTheSpaceman+
Known user

Spiritualized - Live in Concert (NPR)

Post by CalTheSpaceman+ »

Spiritualized on Live tonight at npr:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/15229106 ... in-concert

:mrgreen:
Hofstadter
Known user

Re: Spiritualized - Live in Concert (NPR)

Post by Hofstadter »

Spiritualized, led by Jason Pierce (a.k.a. J. Spaceman), has experienced agony, recovery, redemption and two near-death experiences in its 13 years as a band.
Their math seems a little bit off...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Maybe they think they started with Ladies & Gentlemen?
Fact check anyone?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Also I guess its verging on 23 years, so let's just pretend it was a typo?
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Who's watching/picking up on the inaccuracies from the DJs....?
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

watching the stream confirms Detroit was fucking intolerably boring, by the numbers, uninspired, no DANGER, no passion and NO fucking ROCK N ROLL. Jesus Christ what has happened to my favorite band??????????????????? Might as well of had cardboard cut outs there. Feeling cheated due to my high expectations? I admit, after all these years running around the globe, this may well be my last show seeing Spaceman. :oops:
I think I feel it coming on
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I cant believe we were in the same building. I thought Detroit was amazing. I also think this show is showing the band getting better as the tour goes on.
Perhaps they aren't pushing the buttons like they used to. Its not the sonic blast you used to get. Probably not after your trip to Austin.
To me it shows a band maturing to some extent. Especially live.
Boring? No fucking way!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

these last two posts ^ are brilliant

i know i also get caught up in wishing for something that isn't there. but i do like he evolves each time out. it is a credit to him that he's not wasting his time trying to recapture something, or even capture it at all. i guess repetition is the word. he isn't defined by what Spz was in 1992, but he still does retain some vital element of that in todays band.
i do think, however, he is veering away from the 'psychedelic' aspect of the show. again for lack of a better term, they're becoming more of a drinking band than a trippy band. which i somewhat alarming but atm it's still a fun fucking night out.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

purespace wrote:watching the stream confirms Detroit was fucking intolerably boring, by the numbers, uninspired, no DANGER, no passion and NO fucking ROCK N ROLL. Jesus Christ what has happened to my favorite band??????????????????? Might as well of had cardboard cut outs there. Feeling cheated due to my high expectations?
Man, that's how i felt for 10-15 years with Spiritualized but for some reason couldn't give them up. Came close on the AG and A&E tours mind you, where i was repeatedly bored, but stuck with them and now i'm glad i did. For me, and my Spiritualized loving mates, we all agree that the current gigs are the best they've been since the LICD tour.
spzretent wrote:To me it shows a band maturing to some extent. Especially live.
Dunno if i'd call it maturity. Just a better set list performed well. Just needs to be louder. :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This tour seems to have taken a simple approach. Yes, the songs are srtipped down a bit but enough of them end up noisy at the end. But isn't that the precisely approach Jason has said he has taken in writing and recording the new LP? It only makes sense that this would translate live too.
The difference is the addition of the two back up singers. This isn't said from a male in a mid life crisis either. They are fun to watch. They breathe a breath of fresh air into the live show.
I'm sure Spiritualized have shed fans along the way. Reading the comments next to the video stream last night its also clear they have gained a lot more new fans as well.
I'm not sure what people expect anymore. As far as the volume goes, i'm glad it wasn't at 10. I have already lost enough hearing because I refuse to wear earplugs. My ears were not ringing post show for which I was thankful.
pilgrimdroveplymouth
Known user

Post by pilgrimdroveplymouth »

I think the setlists have been great. I believe the problem may be that Hey Jane is so fucking good that it's just hard to stay that high. I'm really liking this version of the band.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

The show is now up for streaming at npr.org. you can also download it.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/15229106 ... =mh_frimg1

does anyone know how to break the set up into individual tracks?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

you could use a non-destructive editor like MP3trimmer
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/12965/mp3-trimmer
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Is the video available?
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Listened this morning and I have to say, it's quite a gig.

I like how this tour sounds matured — I would need to sit though...

Best,

M
Design.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

There's 40 mins of video (flash) available here

:D
It's nice to be liked,
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

looks great but can hardly watch it for continually buffering :(
float1ng1nspace
Known user

Post by float1ng1nspace »

Here's a direct download link from the npr.org site:

http://pd.npr.org/npr-mp4/npr/ascvid/20 ... ized-n.mp4
[right click>save as]
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Thank you once again Mr Tony Foster for instilling in me a complete sense of inadequacy in my guitar playing.....

Post by Diesel »

What an incredible show. I stayed sober the entire concert and the show was magical. Was at the Philly show but it didn't have the same ambiance. Hopefully NPR will make the entire 2 hour concert available to download both video and audio.

Not that it's all that cool but was driving home back to my place in maryland there was a bad accident on 95 south at around 4am and I recognized the spacemen tour bus. I saw a light on in the back . Ifi wasn't falling asleep at the wheel I would have kept driving to see the again on Saturday in north Carolina. I was tempting to jump in the car or a plane on sat to see them 3 straight nights. Outside chance I decide to fly out to Phoenix arizona this weekend but the dc show was that incredible that I wish I was 21 again as I would have travelled to all the shows. At 37 with a full time job that's difficult but I worry about how many more times Jason will continue and be able to your like this. Hopefully we have another 20 years of his great music and performance.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

My apologies if I'm being dumb, but where can you download the audio recording? I can't see a link on the NPR page...
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Diesel wrote:I worry about how many more times Jason will continue and be able to your like this. Hopefully we have another 20 years of his great music and performance.
I agree with this sentiment. I know he has sung about adding more life to his years, rather than years to his life, but for our sake I wish that he would work on lengthening his years through diet and exercise, so we can have many more albums and concerts to come. :D

I'm listening to the audio recording from http://www.npr.org/event/music/15229106 ... in-concert now and it sounds really good. The one thing that could be better though imo is that the vocals could have been turned up a bit.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Was the video stream the full gig or just the 40 minute version available now? If so did anyone manage to get it?
It's nice to be liked,
juepucta
New user

Post by juepucta »

The NPR mp3 of the DC concert on my RSS feed is 2 hrs and 10 mins long. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, though. Linky http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr ... 1337034838 just in case alt link http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr ... 539465.mp3

-G.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

spzretent wrote:I cant believe we were in the same building. I thought Detroit was amazing. I also think this show is showing the band getting better as the tour goes on.
Perhaps they aren't pushing the buttons like they used to. Its not the sonic blast you used to get. Probably not after your trip to Austin.
To me it shows a band maturing to some extent. Especially live.
Boring? No fucking way!
I'd tend to agree with you Alan. I was there and I wasn't expecting much but I was blown right out of my fucking head. Some highlights for me were: Oh Baby, Lay Back in the Sun, Born, Never Asked, Stay With Me (hell fuck yeah!!!) and Cop Shoot Cop! Hey Jane was fucking fantastic but most of the new stuff really didn't do it for me.
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Man, I absolutely love the way they sang Ladies and Gentlemen...!!!! So, so beautiful. I sure wish I could download it.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I can't believe how good this show sounds - a full soundboard show and 40 minutes of professional video, its amazing. And the band are sounding superb.

Has anyone managed to download the full audio?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

juepucta wrote:The NPR mp3 of the DC concert on my RSS feed is 2 hrs and 10 mins long. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, though. Linky http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr ... 1337034838 just in case alt link http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr ... 539465.mp3

-G.
do neither of these links work if you right click and then do 'save as'? if neither of them do i downloaded the file that was available initially and i could upload it to sendspace or something. also, i'd recommend downloading the link to the video up above- it's gorgeous. the only problem is it appears to be some kind of protected file and i haven't been able to burn a dvd of it (kind of a shame as it would look breathtaking on a big screen).
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I have the mp3 downloaded and I will chop it up into individual tracks unless someone has already done so.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

shalloboi wrote:
juepucta wrote:The NPR mp3 of the DC concert on my RSS feed is 2 hrs and 10 mins long. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, though. Linky http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr ... 1337034838 just in case alt link http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr ... 539465.mp3

-G.
do neither of these links work if you right click and then do 'save as'? if neither of them do i downloaded the file that was available initially and i could upload it to sendspace or something. also, i'd recommend downloading the link to the video up above- it's gorgeous. the only problem is it appears to be some kind of protected file and i haven't been able to burn a dvd of it (kind of a shame as it would look breathtaking on a big screen).
Silly me, that worked thank you. I'd done it for the video, but somehow failed with the audio.
mekmad
New user

Post by mekmad »

shalloboi wrote:

-G.
Thanks for the tip on the Video, got it downloaded and watching it on my computer. Awesome. I wonder why they only posted 40 minutes, they had the cameras going the whole time. I wonder if NPR will do anything more with this video or if this is it. I too would like to burn this onto a DVD, I'd be curious if anyone can break the encryption.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote:
purespace wrote:watching the stream confirms Detroit was fucking intolerably boring, by the numbers, uninspired, no DANGER, no passion and NO fucking ROCK N ROLL. Jesus Christ what has happened to my favorite band??????????????????? Might as well of had cardboard cut outs there. Feeling cheated due to my high expectations?
Man, that's how i felt for 10-15 years with Spiritualized but for some reason couldn't give them up. Came close on the AG and A&E tours mind you, where i was repeatedly bored, but stuck with them and now i'm glad i did. For me, and my Spiritualized loving mates, we all agree that the current gigs are the best they've been since the LICD tour.
spzretent wrote:To me it shows a band maturing to some extent. Especially live.
Dunno if i'd call it maturity. Just a better set list performed well. Just needs to be louder. :)
yeah it does need to be louder... the show I saw had clean enough sound but needed a bit of extra impact- even Cop Shoot Cop didn't really hit home.

I did find the Oxford show below par for Spz, but maybe that's because I expect more than just a 'good show' from the band. at their best they have something else that takes their shows onto another level. still enjoyed it more than many other gigs though.

at this early juncture (and at the risk of generalising- after all I could have just caught an off night) I'd probably place this tour above the Amazing Grace era but not as good as A&E tour.

had a quick listen to this boot and it's really good quality. I like the little noise jam at the beginning.. i'm sure as the tour goes on they will get tighter and tighter
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

TheWarmth wrote:I have the mp3 downloaded and I will chop it up into individual tracks unless someone has already done so.
Awesome, that'd be great.