Jason: "next Spz album: electronic"

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Fede77
Known user

Jason: "next Spz album: electronic"

Post by Fede77 »

In the Blow-up (an important italian indie magazine) of this month there is a long interview with Jason; he said: "After this tour I'd like working for an electronic album of Spz...I'm thinking about it for long time". Have you ever read about it before? It would be very interesting an album without guitars, but I think that Jason has to change band...probably he will work with Phil and Paul Hartnoll or Fennesz :?
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Jason: "next Spz album: electronic"

Post by TheWarmth »

I would love to hear this, but my gut tells me this would be a solo record or possibly released under a new name. I can't see hiim putting an electronic album out under the Spiritualized name.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Wow! Perhaps this would result in something a little more akin to what he did on the first two Spiritualized albums - more expansive songs, phases, drones, etc.

Hopefully he doesn't mean to explore dubstep or another one of the more "unlistenable" sub-genres. :wink:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

very interesting...it would solve the 'where do you go from here' problem.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Then again, i don't know how much the public really wants a "Forever Alien" from spaceman...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

so long you pretty thing
no more spz rnr
he's losing his religion
gonna burn brightly
for a while
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

hmm are we sure that's exactly what Jason said?

I guess 'electronic' could also mean 'spacey' but I think people wanting a return to LGM or PP sounds are going to be waiting forever.

he could well be talking about another side project.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I'd be really excited to hear this if it's true. I also think it might fit in with what Jason's done on SHSL, which feels like a conclusion of sorts (the theme of it being almost an homage to rock n roll, the music that he loves, and also the inclusion of so many old songs makes it feel to me like he's closing the book on that period of Spiritualized).
taikonaut
Known user
Location: at the gates requesting new passwords that never ever work

Post by taikonaut »

I´m waiting for the "all bass instruments album" he claimed was the next step in an interview after the release of ladies et gents..
Jason Pierce wrote:the pop part of Spiritualized is the bit I'm most uncomfortable about
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

mkb wrote:I'd be really excited to hear this if it's true. I also think it might fit in with what Jason's done on SHSL, which feels like a conclusion of sorts (the theme of it being almost an homage to rock n roll, the music that he loves, and also the inclusion of so many old songs makes it feel to me like he's closing the book on that period of Spiritualized).
I mean this as no disrespect to Spaceman, but it seems to me that (with various degrees of spaciness) he has more or less been doing variations of the same things for nearly 30 years. He's really great at it, and I think much of the reason why the new LP has been so well-received is that Spaceman really stuck to his strengths. If we get another album out of Spaceman in a few years (he'll probably be 50 by the time that happens) I imagine it will be another subtle variation on the genre he's defined for himself.
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

jadams501 wrote:I mean this as no disrespect to Spaceman, but it seems to me that (with various degrees of spaciness) he has more or less been doing variations of the same things for nearly 30 years. He's really great at it, and I think much of the reason why the new LP has been so well-received is that Spaceman really stuck to his strengths. If we get another album out of Spaceman in a few years (he'll probably be 50 by the time that happens) I imagine it will be another subtle variation on the genre he's defined for himself.
I don't know about that. There have been several electronic artists that Jason has either worked with (Fuck Buttons, Global Communication, LFO) or has allowed Spiritualized tracks to be remixed (most notably, the Chemical Brothers). And much of Pure Phase is steeped in electronic elements, especially b-sides Electric Mainline I & II, so maybe he's getting the itch again - not to take the band back to 1995 - but perhaps to bring together the sounds of the old and the new, bringing the Spiritualized sound full-circle.

"All the best things in life fuck you up the most, whether it's lovesickness or drugsickness."
- J Spaceman
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I hope someone asks him where the lazers are and his electronic performances mean more lazers
Allthesethings3
New user

Post by Allthesethings3 »

Lazers and couches.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I can see the next album certainly being very different. The lyrics to So Long... seem to be a goodbye lament to rock and roll of sorts, much in a similar vein to the way Spaceman has been talking up the inevitable death of rock and roll in recent interviews.
ascension
Known user

Post by ascension »

I certainly hope so. I feel he really needs to change things up at this point.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

You'll never see a version of Spiritualized where Jason isn't stood on stage with a guitar. He's based his whole career on his love for rock and roll, blues and gospel. He's not going to ditch rock and roll and do something else now. Sweet Heart, Sweet Light is his ode to Rock and Roll. He sad about it not being around forever, rather than dusting off his hands and looking at changing his whole thing around now its dead.

Him talking about going electronic for me would mean electronic in the same way it would to Primal Scream. Messing around with it so it sounds like his kind of music. All along he's talked about small changes every time he puts out a new record, Its not about inventing a new kind of music. Its about using different tools to create new sounds.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

makes me think of the Chemical Brothers remixes of Think I'm In Love
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think simon is right. don't expect Jason to be making any great evolutionary leaps (just look at his recent comments in interviews re: evolution in music), and chucking away his guitar to sit behind a synth. some things are never gonna change- look how long Jason has stood to the side of the stage, never said anything between songs etc. Spiritualized has a certain aesthetic that Jason filters everything through to fit his vision. the real 'out-there' stuff is what he seems to be farming out to his side projects.
if he really is intending to make a more 'electronic' album (and we really don't know if that's exactly what he means, he could have just been thinking out loud or taken out of context) then I think he just means more keyboards or a bit more processing in the studio, maybe a slight return to the sound of Pure Phase or parts of Ladies and gentleman. I wouldn't complain.