Six Organs go electric

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Six Organs go electric

Post by angelsighs »

this sounds pretty tasty, could be nearest thing we will get to a new Comets on Fire record. also may mean their set at Supersonic in October could be full on electric :)

Having delivered the mostly acoustic Asleep in the Floodplain in 2011, Ben Chasny's next Six Organs of Admittance record, Ascent, will apparently pull a 180 and dial up the distortion tenfold. Allegedly swapping out the folk part of the psych-folk tag, the album arrives August 21 on Drag City.

A press release explains that Chasny is no stranger to face-peeling guitar scrawl, regularly performing live with a full electric band and delivering the occasional on-record whitewash guitar drone, but Ascent has turned the project into a "full-tilt rock band."

The record pairs Chasny with his other gig in California psych troupe Comets on Fire, who toured and recorded a few demos with the singer-songwriter in 2002. These aren't those same numbers, though, and when the group got together at Tim Green's Louder Studios in San Francisco, they laid down fresh material.

For a sneak peek of what's to come, you can download the opening, full-speed-ahead guitar battle "Wasawa" here.

Ascent:

1. Waswasa
2. Close To The Sky
3. They Called You Near
4. Solar Ascent
5. A Thousand Birds
6. Your Ghost
7. Even If You Knew
8. Visions (From Io)
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Six Organs go electric

Post by angelsighs »

same here, I love Comets. infact I'd put them right at the top of the psych-rock tree. wish they would get back together.. Howlin Rain are okay but what I heard of the latest album was way too far in the 'classic rock' direction.

maybe Hookworms should play Supersonic too :)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

It sounds like a should check out Comets on Fire (they're from SC!)... quick research indicates that Blue Cathedral seems like a pretty cool album - should I start with that, or just listen chronologically? Would appreciate your wisdom.
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

interview with Ethan Miller about the last Howlin Rain album, but one question touched upon Comets on Fire backing Ben Chasny as Six Organs - http://birdsneedfeet.blogspot.se/2012/0 ... -rain.html
BNF: A reader of ours asked us to ask you: any chance of a Comets On Fire reunion?

EM: Comets on Fire just went into the studio as Ben Chasny's backing band for the next Six Organs Of Admittance record (an electric rock Six Organs album) for Drag City. It was the first time we'd all been together playing music in quite a few years and the chemistry musically and socially was as if it had only been a few days gone. We don't have plans to record a new COF album currently but who knows what will happen, we certainly enjoyed making music together again.
The new track Wasawa sounds great too
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hofstadter wrote:It sounds like a should check out Comets on Fire (they're from SC!)... quick research indicates that Blue Cathedral seems like a pretty cool album - should I start with that, or just listen chronologically? Would appreciate your wisdom.
yep Blue Cathedral is the one, it's where I started and it's stunning. loud and chaotic, there's oodles of wah wah riffing and some blaring horns. The Bee and The Cracking Egg is one of my favourite album openers.

Avatar is the follow up and ever so slightly more conventional and chilled (can almost hear the Howlin Rain sound coming through in places), but still pretty damn awesome. Holy Teeth is one of their shortest and punkiest songs they have ever done, still pretty intense. they also have a penchant for tribal-drone type pieces of which Sour Smoke from this album is a great example. it's like a theme from a psych western!!

I know some disagree though and prefer their earlier stuff, which you could say is more garage-psych-guitar based.
check out this thread where discussion digresses into Comets:

http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... 5605&hilit

I'd second the recommendation from that thread to check out the bands jam sessions which they have released- awesome just hearing them play their asses off.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Hofstadter wrote:It sounds like a should check out Comets on Fire (they're from SC!)... quick research indicates that Blue Cathedral seems like a pretty cool album - should I start with that, or just listen chronologically? Would appreciate your wisdom.
I've added Comet's Avatar, Six Organ's Night and Howlin' Rain's Magnificent Fiend to my CD sale in the Cop Zone if you're interested.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

I knew he had finished recording the new album but missed that news. Thanks for the heads up. I really appreciate his being workaholic, because I must get a treat from him every year.
Waswasa sounds quite different from any six organs’ material, even the ones on Shelter From The Ash or The Sun Awakens which are relatively loud albums. Close To The Sky and A Thousand Birds are both his early stuff, I think. So maybe he has rearranged them. Can't wait for the release.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

good review of the new album in the new Uncut.. theres a little interview with Ben too. not only are Rangda and Six Organs both going to be touring in September time, he says that Comets are only on 'hiatus' and wil return at some point. good news all round.
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

He’s just released the single "Parsons' Blues" prior to the album.
http://www.dragcity.com/products/parsons-blues
I couldn’t wait for the arrival of my vinyl, so got the digital download. It contains two songs, and both are really rocky, of course which means great. The ones from Comets On Fire play on it, Noel Harmonson, Ethan Miller, Ben Flashman and Utrillo Kushner.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for that robotoilet, didn't realise both the songs on the single aren't on the album! bonus!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Picked up the new LP yesterday. Only played it the once so far but, form what I've heard, it sounds great. Certainly a lot different to the only other Six Organs record I have, Illuminous Night...much more rockier. I think I'm going to like this a lot. Only trouble is that it doesn't come with a download code which I find really annoying in this day and age :x
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I was gonna buy it yesterday, but in my local music shop it was 14 quid!! I'm not paying that for a CD in this day and age, gonna order it online today.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Bought the single last week. Very impressed by the two tracks, particularly the b-side which is a bit of a monster. Hopefully the album will have arrived in my local record shop by now.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

still really enjoying this album, it's really baring up to repeat listen too- not getting bored of it.
I am a bit gutted that the band won't be playing Supersonic festival the day I'm going.. however.. they do seem to be doing a healthy tour of both the US and the UK, and they are playing Nottingham which is doable for me, supported by none other than Hookworms :)
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote:still really enjoying this album, it's really baring up to repeat listen too- not getting bored of it.
I am a bit gutted that the band won't be playing Supersonic festival the day I'm going.. however.. they do seem to be doing a healthy tour of both the US and the UK, and they are playing Nottingham which is doable for me, supported by none other than Hookworms :)
i'm going to the Nottingham gig, hope it is with the comets lineup....get your ticket if you havent already....VERY small venue, likely to sell out.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spunder wrote:
angelsighs wrote:still really enjoying this album, it's really baring up to repeat listen too- not getting bored of it.
i'm going to the Nottingham gig, hope it is with the comets lineup....get your ticket if you havent already....VERY small venue, likely to sell out.
apparently it's going to be a trio with Ben and two of Comets