White Manna

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Sim
Known user

White Manna

Post by Sim »

Just caught a track by these guys on 6Music (Sweet Jesus Manna), I'd not come across them before and reckon a fair few on here might like.

http://whitemanna.bandcamp.com/album/white-manna

Re: White Manna

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah, been listening to them for the last month or so... really good. They have a very The Black Angels/Hookworms vibe to their sound (IMO) which is all good...
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

It may well have been the same show I was listening to as I don't recall hearing them on air again since
I have visited their bandcamp to stream the songs quite a few times since, and have now ordered the LP :)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

They're pretty fucking good aren't they? Been giving the album plenty of play the past few days, some of the guitar work reminds me of Ripley Johnson when he lets fly but buried under more effects. Love the nod to LA Woman in Sweet Jesus too.

All those here into distorted, effects heavy guitar noise should check this lot out. Nothing original but what they do they do it well.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yep, echo all the comments thus far, its nowt new, but bloody hell its good.
I suspect Live, they are seriously good
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Listening to this now.... Loving it! I think my local record store made it record of the week a while back. Their glowing endorsement along with the praise coming from you guys made it a worthy addition to my recent birthday stockpile! :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Got this in the mail today.
Wow! Ticks a lot of boxes.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
soundman
New user

Post by soundman »

Sim wrote:Just caught a track by these guys on 6Music (Sweet Jesus Manna), I'd not come across them before and reckon a fair few on here might like.

http://whitemanna.bandcamp.com/album/white-manna
Hello,

link not working. I wonder if there is something wrong with their website, or if my internet connection is bad, I am not a computer kind of person, so I really don't know. can someone check and let me know, please?
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

seems to work ok? :)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Was spinning this record tonight. Still sounding fantastic. Got to be in quite a few lists of top ten albums of the year for folk on here right?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote:Was spinning this record tonight. Still sounding fantastic. Got to be in quite a few lists of top ten albums of the year for folk on here right?
only just got this record recently myself Ads. it's definitely a contender. however as aluded to above, it's one weakness is that it's not really adding anything new. who cares when its this enjoyable though I guess?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New album 'Dune Worship' out at the end of the month: http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/produc ... 92740.html
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Got offered these for a show but unfortunately i can't do it that week! Shame, great sounds.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

They're playing a show with Carlton Melton in Brighton in a couple of weeks time....can't fucking wait :D 8)

Their debut LP was a blinder...hoping for more of the same with the follow up. This is a show I have been excited about since it was announced. Taken away a lot of the disappointment of not being able to make Liverpool Psych Fest to be honest.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The new EP is superb. Been listening to it via Bandcamp for a week or so now. Gutted they won't appear in Glasgow with Carlton Melton but we will have the rather splendid Cosmic Dead instead so still all good!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the first album is a cracker that I have found still to be thrilling me after many listens. they do a fine trick of not doing anything greatly original, but also not sounding too contrived or anything.
very much looking forward to seeing them live.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

White Manna are playing Portland on Oct. 10 with Nik Turner's Hawkwind.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:White Manna are playing Portland on Oct. 10 with Nik Turner's Hawkwind.
WM are worth checking out. Very heavy so brace yourself.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:
redcloud wrote:White Manna are playing Portland on Oct. 10 with Nik Turner's Hawkwind.
I may go down to see them. No idea who or what to expect with "Nik Turner's Hawkwind". Weird to think no Dave Brock. Anybody know more about this version of 'wind?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

redcloud wrote:
runcible wrote:
I may go down to see them. No idea who or what to expect with "Nik Turner's Hawkwind". Weird to think no Dave Brock. Anybody know more about this version of 'wind?

Read something about this a few weeks ago ,Dave Brock and Hawkwind`s management anything but happy with Nik Turner,

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/hawkwin ... s-us-name/
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

An hour long live set for some radio station: https://soundcloud.com/krfh/white-manna ... r-takeover

Downloadable too :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote:An hour long live set for some radio station: https://soundcloud.com/krfh/white-manna ... r-takeover

Downloadable too :D
nice one cheers sunray!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

new White Manna album coming 1st June via Cardinal Fuzz!

https://cful.bandcamp.com/album/white-manna-pan
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:new White Manna album coming 1st June via Cardinal Fuzz!

https://cful.bandcamp.com/album/white-manna-pan

Erm, this arrived here a while back....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Just resurrecting this thread as I have been listening to a fair bit of White Manna recently and think they may be ascending to my personal A list of psych bands. I would reiterate the comments above (from me amongst others) that they are nothing that original, but blimey they do it well.

I think what gives them the edge is an awareness of the heavier psych influences (Stooges etc) plus rhythmically they have a kind of boogie rock thing going on, rather than the krautrock beat that many psych bands play (which I am bored to the back teeth of to be honest).

The debut album is the one that I've really been hammering for a long time, but also been dipping into the next couple after that which seem to be a continuation of that sound (not complaining)
can anyone tell me if the live record mentioned above is any cop?

want to see them live again asap!
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I love the first album, but thought subsequent releases didn't up to that initial high standard. Can't believe I have 5 albums by them - need to revisit the last one "Bleeding Eyes" - can't remember much about it TBH.

Ste
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I saw this on the Cardinal Fuzz FB feed just before Xmas:-

This news incoming from WHITE MANNA
"Happy Pagan Days! New music and shows coming in 2019. — with Dieter Dieter Dieter, David Johnson, Tavan Anderson and Johnny Webb."

I am a big fan of White Manna. I saw them play with Cartlon Melton in Brighton about 4 or 5 years ago and they were incredible. I know they didn't have their lead singer with them when they played LPF a couple years back but I thought they were quite ordinary then...just didn't hit the spot for me.

According to Discogs I've got 6 vinyl LPs by them. Though, as seems to be more and more the case these days,I have pruchased so much vinyl in the last few years that I couldn't honestly distinguish between them :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

great stuff! hope to catch them on tour this year then.
I'd agree that the LPF show from a couple of years back wasn't much cop.. but I really think that was because they were a man down. as you said Shines, the other time I saw them was superb. they sounded massive.

stegraham wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:25 am I love the first album, but thought subsequent releases didn't up to that initial high standard. Can't believe I have 5 albums by them - need to revisit the last one "Bleeding Eyes" - can't remember much about it TBH.

Ste
yeah, I've only really investigated up until the 3rd album thus far, all seems great so far but I wouldn't be surprised if it's slightly diminishing returns.
thing is, how many albums does the average psych band have in them really, before they need to start changing it up?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Last album, Bleeding Eyes, didn't set the world on fire for me. It felt like they had taken their foot off the pedal a bit (pun intended!) and i struggled to get into it. Its predecessor Pan took a while to grow on me but i really enjoy that now, but the first 4 albums (including the live one) are astounding. The self-titled debut and Come Down Safari are definitely my favs, but the Live Frequencies album makes them sound huge live!

Still to see them live unfortunately.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Need to get the "Live Frequencies " album then! Haven't got/heard it!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks all. seems the general advice is "I prefer the earlier stuff!" :) so I will dig deeper into that first.

I will try to get hold of the live album for sure.

for some reason Come Down Safari is almost impossible to get hold of on CD so vinyl seems to be the choice for that.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Can't remember much about their albums tbh but i've a feeling that i'm in the same camp as Laz!

I also found them disappointing at LPF. My only time to see them and even though they were making all the right noises I just couldn't connect with it at all.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Perhaps i got out of bed with wrong foot, but why do you need Carlton Melton if you have Acid Mothers Temple?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:59 pm Can't remember much about their albums tbh but i've a feeling that i'm in the same camp as Laz!

I also found them disappointing at LPF. My only time to see them and even though they were making all the right noises I just couldn't connect with it at all.
F#cked up there Sunray, should have been watching Pigs x7 at the same time, belting set,

Vieko, I have loads of Carlton Melton records and none by AMT, no inclination to get any either, by flipping your theory on its head though I`m not missing anything so its not a problem. No idea what this has to do with White Manna though, I was never blown away by them tbh, The live album is cracker though as far as live albums go,
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Carlton Melton was mentioned couple of messages behind. It's more like my personal beef with CM, as i seriously think that Acid Mothers Temple will clean the table.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

veiko wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:01 pm Perhaps i got out of bed with wrong foot, but why do you need Carlton Melton if you have Acid Mothers Temple?
The first time I saw Carlton Melton was in a small venue called Mello Mello in Liverpool (it is no longer a music venue) backing Acid Mothers Temple. I cannot see much comparison between the two bands. There again, I own almost every CM record and nothing by AMT. This was pretty much my conclusion at the Liverpool Psyche Fest as few years later.

Different people like different bands :shock:. What a shocker!

:D
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

That last comment is very cool. Sorry if i offended anyone. To me it just seems that Acid Mothers Temple goes more beyond and utilizes their signature much deeper. But i agree that over-dramatizing this has no use. Music = why talk about it if you can fight about it. I do think that it needs skills to do it better than AMT :!:
Skills or no thrills.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:03 pm
sunray wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:59 pm Can't remember much about their albums tbh but i've a feeling that i'm in the same camp as Laz!

F#cked up there Sunray, should have been watching Pigs x7 at the same time, belting set,
Well, i'd caught Pigs x7 the previous month, whereas i'd never seen White Manna and was highly unlikely to ever get the opportunity to do so again. Figured i'd better opt for the latter when I had the chance.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

While searching for live White Manna footage on youtube (there's not a lot out there unfortunately) I found this video which is some home movie footage they shot while at Liverpool Psych Fest. interesting to see it from a bands perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfPCdc5U_1M
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I see they have a new album out soon - "Ape on Sunday". Nice looking cover!

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that is a hell of a cover isn't it! looks like motel art on acid.

hopefully means live dates soon too.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

New White Manna coming in August on Cardinal Fuzz. the sleeve is another doozy too!

https://www.fiveriserecords.co.uk/produ ... manna-arc/

seems a little more ambient and improv than their previous work
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

New album, First Welcome, out in December, and I'm liking the track "Milk Symposium" which is the first track they've made available from it so far. Havent been that keen on some of the later releases but I'm into this vibe. Was goign to buy the CD version, but at 8 quid for the CD and then 18 quid for P&P (!!!) I thought I'd pass on that!

https://whitemanna.bandcamp.com/album/first-welcome
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

stegraham wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:37 pm New album, First Welcome, out in December, and I'm liking the track "Milk Symposium" which is the first track they've made available from it so far. Havent been that keen on some of the later releases but I'm into this vibe. Was goign to buy the CD version, but at 8 quid for the CD and then 18 quid for P&P (!!!) I thought I'd pass on that!

https://whitemanna.bandcamp.com/album/first-welcome
Seems the cd is sold out at Cardinal Fuzz but you can get the vinyl for £15 + p&p: https://cardinalfuzz.bigcartel.com/prod ... dinal-fuzz