New Music - 2012

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

New Music - 2012

Post by TheWarmth »

What have you been into? What's new? I listened to Gaz Coombes' (ex-Supergrass) debut solo album, Here Comes The Bombs, via the Guardian's website a few times and really dug that. Looking forward to it getting a vinyl copy of that one. Yesterday, I bought the second album by Violens, True, but last time I mentioned them round these parts I was politely informed as to how awful they are. I still disagree. I like Richard Hawley's new album a lot, too, Standing At The Sky's Edge. Although there are some lyrical turds on it, his guitar work is tremendous and this LP is a lot more trippy and psychedelic than anything he has done previously. The new Beach House is BORING. I can't get excited about it at all. I'm curious about the new Sigur Ros and haven't heard a note yet. What else? Thoughts and opinions!

Here's a list of my favorite records of 2012 so far:

Spiritualized : Sweet Heart, Sweet Light
Diagrams : Black Light
Lilacs & Champagne : Lilacs & Champagne
Gnod : Chaudelande Vol. 2
Lambchop : Mr. M
The Dr
Known user

Re: New Music - 2012

Post by The Dr »

leonard cohen- old ideas
spz- sweet heart
first aid kit- lion's roar

still deciding on ian mcculloch's new album and richard hawleys. mcculloch's seems like his powers are fading radiply and hawley's is a big move away from the walker-esque grandeaur of his other albums- still i should listen more

considering getting smoke fairies new album- it's more a case of funds than desire.
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Here's the stuff from this year that's been in heavy rotation for me. I have to say though, the past month or two I've found myself mainly listening to lots of older music.

Lower Dens - Nootropics - love the atmosphere and Jana Hunter's voice - it is much more of an album to be taken as a whole as opposed to a collection of great songs, as Twin Hand Movement was.

The Men - Open Your Heart - probably their most accessible album - also their most enjoyable, at least in my opinion. I always find that when I am listening to it I think "Oh hey, that reminds of x thing that y band does" - it's fun trying to figure out all the things that might have been influencing them when recording the album.

Julia Holter - Ekstasis - Her music and her voice are as beautiful as she is. She's also been really nice and remembered my name and such each time I've talked to her.

Ty Segall/White Fence - Hair - pure fun (they are both a blast to see live, and also are hilarious doods in person).

Mind Spiders - Meltdown - another great Denton Band, really reminds me of the late great Jay Reatard.

Dunes / Bleached - Noctiluca / A Bunch of Singles - Both projects of former Mika Miko members. Dunes sound to me a bit like Real Estate with a female singer.

Allah-Las - Tell Me (What's On Your Mind - Just an EP, but I'm absolutely loving it. Reminds me a bit of early Black Lips, but with more of a road-tripping, mellow summer vibe.

And of course, lots of spz.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i was going to recommend the new lower dens, too. it's got this great, creepy atmosphere.

white fence- 'family perfume vol. 1 & 2'- really great 60s-sounding pair of records. it's kind of all over the place- some of it is really jangly and poppy and then some of it gets really zoned out. all of the songs are good and several are great- which is pretty amazing since there are 29 songs total between the two volumes. i thought they were fantastic live- really unhinged and aggressive. this is a bit more controlled and contained (at least for the most part).
i haven't had as much of a chance to listen to 'hair' yet, but what i've heard so far i've really enjoyed. that double bill was one of the best shows i've been to in a really long time.

i really like the new beach house. it's a grower, though. kind of like 'devotion,' which i was never too wild about until recently.

disappears- 'pre language'- love this one. not as good as their first one, ('lux') but better than their second one ('guider'). the production on this is really well-matched to their sound, which is very economical. it's minimalism that somehow manages to sound massive while blending sounds from krautrock, garage and post-punk. they use a ton of wah, reverb and tremolo.

i'm really looking forward to the new walkmen album that's coming out next week. it's building on the track that they've been on since 'you and me.' they played a bunch of the songs from it on their world cafe appearance and they all sounded really great. probably more vibrant than the world-weary vibe they've been nailing for the last two albums (although i'm hoping there'll be something like 'while i shovel the snow' on this one).
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Basing solely on 2012 releases (not including reissues or older music discoveries):

Spiritualized - 'Sweet Heart, Sweet Light'

Sleepy Sun - 'Spine Hits'

Mark Lanegan - 'Blues Funeral'

I've yet to hear BJM's new album on LP or CD. The stream sounds like the best thing he has done in years and the new songs sounded great live.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Django Django S/T
Mark Lanegan- Blues Funeral
Spiritualized- SHSL
The See See- Fountayne Mountain
George Harrison- Early Takes Vol.1

New to me in 2012:
Link Wray- Three Track Shack
Relatively Clean Rivers S/T
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: Relatively Clean Rivers S/T
One of my all time favorite albums. If push came to shove and I could only keep 5 albums this would be one of them.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i forgot that FRKWYS vol. 9- collaboration between sun araw and the congos. not surprisingly this is pretty far out there- the closing track in particular, which is like an extremely psychedelic hymn.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

redcloud wrote:
One of my all time favorite albums. If push came to shove and I could only keep 5 albums this would be one of them.
I'd never heard of this, but had a listen on grooveshark this morning and its great.

Apart from Sweet Heat Sweet Light, my two main purchases have been the new BJM and Fuxa, electric sound of summer, which I'm really enjoying.

Also enjoyed Luke Haines 9 1/2 Psychedelic Meditations on British Wrestling from Record Store Day. Never managed to get hold of those Luna Reissues. Bah!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

clewsr wrote:
redcloud wrote:
I'd never heard of this, but had a listen on grooveshark this morning and its great.
Sounds great when the sun is out!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

For me, many of those already listed, but so many others:

Spiritualized - SHSL (best record by Jason since... well, for ages!)
Sleepy Sun - Spine Hits (think redcloud and I are shouting this one from the rooftops!)
BJM - Aufheben (agree that this is a real return toform)
Lightships - Electric Cables (possible THE best album for this gloriously, hazy sunshine we are having... blissful!)
Black Bombaim - Titans (Absolutely behemoth of an album... as heavy as they come!!!)
The Cosmic Dead - Cozmik Live Action Vol1&2 (Excellent self-released live albums collating live material from the last few years)
Pond - Beards, Wives And Denim (Another great summer album... from some of the Tame Impala team)
Master's Apprentices - Choice Cuts (Some superb Aussie heavy rock from way back... but a band with a few aces up their sleeves too!)
White Manna - S/T EP (Great recomendation from Sonic124...)
Dead Sea Apes - Soy Dios/Lupus (Another great recommendation from Sonic124... Lupus is brilliant!)
Spain - The Soul Of Spain (Return of a great, great soulful band... only found this by accident recently, but fond memeories came flooding back of nights chilling out listening to them a long time ago)
Bardo Pond & Carlton Melton - Split EP (40mins of thick heavy guitar drone soup... with chunks!)

So much good stuff to work my way through... 8)
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I'm really loving Dr John - Locked Down. I was really worried as the stakes were high, I was promised a return to the voodoo. This is serious business after all...

But, it is a proper return to the sound of his real early albums, Gris Gris etc.. but with a modern twist. I know nothing of The Black Keys but Dan Auerbach has done a fine job of capturing some real magic. I've shied away from recent Dr John albums due to fears over dodgy Jules Holland esq production but this is bang on the nail. Get stuck in..

x
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Richard Hawley - Standing At The Sky`s Edge,never listened to him before ,reconning him to be not my cup of tea really,but a few mentions of space rock/trippiness and psychedelia had me checking it out ,and it sounds pretty good ,
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Laz69 wrote: Master's Apprentices - Choice Cuts (Some superb Aussie heavy rock from way back... but a band with a few aces up their sleeves too!)
Right on! I love this album. Super thick, heavy, stoned out grooves. If you dig it I recommend getting its successor, 'A Toast To Panama Red'. It too is superb and essential early 70's Aussie rock.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah, i think Scott Vitt of Asteroid #4 had posted a youtube vid of one of their songs on Facebook. Completely fell in love with it, and then searched for the album it was on. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that other one too.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I'm liking the new Beach House album. Didn't leap out as much as Teen Dream on first listen but a few plays in and it's becoming quite wonderful.

Not bought much new 'new' music this year so far I must admit. The Horrors Skying has been suiting this lovely weather and The Charlatans 'Up To Our Hips' is soundtracking this muggy evening in fine fashion. Nothing new but there we go........
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

forgot to mention White Hills -Frying On This Rock ,been playing it a lot ,shorter ,sharper but shows everything their good at 8)
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Playing now...Still my favourite album ever...Takes me back to living in Manchester this was the album along with Soul Kiss Velvets 3rd and Astral Weeks that we would fall asleep just them albums.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

johnnyboy wrote:I'The Charlatans 'Up To Our Hips'
Love this one. It's their best album in my opinion.
jeff
Known user

Post by jeff »

Alt-J--an awesome wave---really really good debut album
dreamweaponry72
Known user

Post by dreamweaponry72 »

a new anteloids album? looks like they been playing some new material live, so fingers crossed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Z0UWsjPGA

i noticed joe foster has been biggin em up on his facebook, maybe there is something going on there
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

notwithstanding fine efforts from Spz and Dirty Three, my album of the year so far is the latest Twilight Sad. I was wary after a mediocre second album but the new one is a totally unexpected and fantastic new direction into icy synths and paranoia.

am curious about the new Sigur Ros, I have gone off them after the move into happyclappy, poppy territory but the new one is being compared to the wonderfully atmospheric ()
also looking forward to the new Walkmen. songs I've heard are great.

the new Pil is getting surprisingly good reviews too?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

isn't () the one w/just the same song about sitting/sighing by the fire played over & over again??

having said that, i can understand why it appeals to a spz fan...
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The new Sigur Ros is so fucking boring. After you get over the fact that it sounds wonderful, it gets tiresome quickly. There aren't any memorable melodies and it just a slow plod throughout. I like Takk a lot better.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

jack white wrote:isn't () the one w/just the same song about sitting/sighing by the fire played over & over again??
:lol: brilliant..and, er, yes.
TheWarmth wrote:The new Sigur Ros is so fucking boring. After you get over the fact that it sounds wonderful, it gets tiresome quickly. There aren't any memorable melodies and it just a slow plod throughout. I like Takk a lot better.
agreed. have given it a few listens and the tracks feel mostly dull and uninspired, which is criminal considering how beautiful their 'sound' is. given that their new video is just of an airship slowly moving across the screen, the change of pace is clearly deliberate, so i'll give it more time and see if that helps.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Listening to the new Liars album right now and it's sounding awesome. I've never been able to get into them before, but this one might hit the spot.
acoustic spaceman
Known user

Post by acoustic spaceman »

The Shins new album... really enjoying that.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

redcloud wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:I'The Charlatans 'Up To Our Hips'
Love this one. It's their best album in my opinion.
Yep, that's my opinion too. Fine choice.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

TheWarmth wrote:Listening to the new Liars album right now and it's sounding awesome. I've never been able to get into them before, but this one might hit the spot.
I really liked Sisterworld, it was my fave of theirs since ...we drowned
but I know a few people really didn't like it...
Lookin forward to this new one, hopefully they're touring these shores again. Seen them only twice but both were great fun.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote:The new Sigur Ros is so fucking boring.
Aren't they all? :wink:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I thought Takk was quite good. Lots of strong melodies and uptempo songs.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jack white wrote:isn't () the one w/just the same song about sitting/sighing by the fire played over & over again??
haha yes, .. and no. it's a bit samey but in the best way possible. the final track is also one of the best things they ever did -epic.

but as I alluded to earlier, I wasnt a fan of Takk that much (apart from a few key songs), and the album after that went even more in the direction that wasn't for me.

shame this new one is getting the thumbs down. I was hoping for a return to () but from what people are saying it's just a duller version of it. I am still curious- I'll have a listen.

I'll check out the Beach House one- I saw them live a couple of years back and quite enjoyed it. how does this album compare to Teen Dream?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I can't get into the new Beach House. IMO, it's not as good as Teen Dream, but sticks with the exact same sound. I read an interview with them recently in which they stated that they have no interest in changing their sound. It struck me as a weird thing to say, but they sure wouldn't be the first ones to stick to a formula.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

angelsighs wrote: I'll check out the Beach House one- I saw them live a couple of years back and quite enjoyed it. how does this album compare to Teen Dream?
i've heard a lot of people say 'bloom' sounds exactly like 'teen dream' and i'm just not hearing it at all- i agree that it's not as good as 'teen dream' but that record had a really intense sense of melancholy that's completely gone on 'bloom.' the songs are a lot more 'up' sounding- there are fewer mid-tempo songs and the whole thing is more reminiscent of the cocteaus soundwise than anything else they've done. i might be kind of alone in this but i find all four of their records to be pretty distinct from one another. the differences can be a bit subtle, but the songwriting approach is different from album to album.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

A local record store in town held a listening party tonight for the Chris Robinson Brotherhood album. Having seen the CRB last December I have been anxiously awaiting this album's release. The store ordered in pizza and put on the album. They also held a raffle for a test press (LP) of the album. Not sure when they plan to do the draw but I did hang out and listen to the record. The record itself has a VERY Dead'ish/Allman's/West Coast jam band circa '72 vibe. Great album art too by Alan Forbes.

This may well be THE album of the summer. Perfect for hazy summer evenings. 8)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Great news RedCloud... last album was a cracker! I'll keep my eyes peeled for this.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

new Grizzly Bear album in the offing for September..
new track here. I really like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk3tURx8a2Q

also tour dates:
Cambridge Junction (August 28)
Nottingham Royal Concert Hall (29)
Gateshead Sage Theatre (October 17)
Manchester Academy (18)
Glasgow Barrowlands (20)
Warwick Arts Centre (21)
O2 Academy Brixton (22)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Laz69 wrote:Great news RedCloud... last album was a cracker! I'll keep my eyes peeled for this.
This will be the first official Chris Robinson Brotherhood album. I know he fiddled around with other side projects and even released a previous solo LP but this one seems to have aligned itself perfectly for Robinson's inner hippie. When I saw them last Dec they really were great. But, I guess it also depends on how much of the early 70's jam band sound people dig. Like I said...a lot of Dead and Allman's influence but I could also hear some Humble Pie and Marshall Tucker Band in there. Very west coast with a southern funk and groove to its long extended jams. As it is Chris Robinson who is leading it...they also sound very stoned, which no doubt they are (when they came on stage they were smoking spliffs. So, there is no hiding what is fueling their music).
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

So this is a new incarnation of the same band or a simple renaming?

I've always liked that groovy side to The Black Crowes, so anything where that is more prevalent is a winner. I can't imagine him being in a band which is not heavily influenced by weed or by southern bluesy jams. If its as good as you make it sound, it'll be a winner.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Laz69 wrote:So this is a new incarnation of the same band or a simple renaming?

I've always liked that groovy side to The Black Crowes, so anything where that is more prevalent is a winner. I can't imagine him being in a band which is not heavily influenced by weed or by southern bluesy jams. If its as good as you make it sound, it'll be a winner.
No, it's a new band. I think this new LP, 'Big Moon Ritual', is the album he has always wanted to make. The smoke is thick...clearly the long extended jams were conceived out of a big joint (or several). It's well worth checking out especially as we approach the summer.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but the new Liars album, Wixiw, is quite good. I'm really enjoying it. It's got some similarities to Radiohead's Kid A, which I'm sure will pique the interest of some and completely turn off other here.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I saw them play together at the Hollywood Bowl in the summer '08. Radiohead were fantastic, I just wish I had been more open to Liars.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

shalloboi wrote:
angelsighs wrote:I'll check out the Beach House one- I saw them live a couple of years back and quite enjoyed it. how does this album compare to Teen Dream?
i agree that it's not as good as 'teen dream' but that record had a really intense sense of melancholy that's completely gone on 'bloom.'
i can't quite click with some of the songs on bloom. while i'd agree that it's more musically upbeat in general, by far my favourite track is 'on the sea', which I find deeply melancholic. 'myth' is sort of happy-sad too, which i think really works. but i'm finding it slower to make a real connection with the other songs than with 'teen dream' or 'devotion'. having said that, i'm sure i'll warm to the tracks in time. i reckon i just like sad songs more than happy ones, haha...

that part about them not changing their sound is interesting... i think they can only carry that if the songs are really strong, otherwise it all starts to get a bit boring and samey after a while. i really liked the track the singer did on the new air album. she has such an amazing voice...makes me wish she'd try new sounds to back it up.

oh, i heard some of the new patti smith. loved the first track!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

What other albums of interest are slated for release this year? I'm looking forward to new ones by Dinosaur Jr., Beak> , The Soft Pack and Goat.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote:What other albums of interest are slated for release this year?
Mazzy Star
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

TheWarmth wrote:What other albums of interest are slated for release this year? I'm looking forward to new ones by Dinosaur Jr., Beak> , The Soft Pack and Goat.
Eat Lights Become Lights, hopefully....
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

olan wrote:Eat Lights Become Lights, hopefully....
Yeah, I'll certainly second that. I'm sure I saw on Neil's FB page recently that the new album was completed or, at least, nearing completion.

Talking of new music, I'm currently compiling a wish list for my birthday next month and there were a couple of new records that caught my attention that I know very little about, namely the new albums by "The Tallest Man on Earth" and "Django Django". Just wondered if any of you chaps had anything to say on either of them?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Here is the view of The Guardian's clever people:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/ju ... MUSTXT9388

To my way of thinking, the comment section is far more sensible than the article, which is unusual..... :lol:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Have just ordered the new Carlton Melton 12" which is due out next week. Here's a link:-

http://www.foxydigitalis.com/foxyd/?p=3 ... ce=message

Sure I read somewhere they've got a new album due out in September too. :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Django Django is fantastic. Another release from someone from the Betas/Aliens family tree. I love it!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

What's the connection between the Betas and Django Django? I still haven't gotten around to checking DD out.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Someone in DD is related to one of the Aliens who were in the Betas. Something like that.
The music is more akin to The Aliens I think. Playful, funky, it rocks when it needs to. Quirky would be a good description.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the fresh & onlys have a new album coming out in september. was really hoping for this, but it looked like it wasn't going to happen since the band are spread out into a few side projects. 'play it strange' belongs in that rather large heap of great albums released in 2010- i'd recommend that one for anyone curious about them. they're kind of all over the place and seem to be able to do almost anything- 'lo-fi' garage sounds, zoned-out psych tangents, shoegaze textures, varied songwriting. they don't get a terrible amount of notice, but they're a really great band.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

They really are quite awesome. I tend to love everything that's out on woodsist though - I didn't realize they were doing something this year though, thanks for the heads-up. Woodsist fest's lineup is unreal this year.
sparta72
Known user

Post by sparta72 »

Can't wait for Tame Impala's new one. Their newer singles and remixes are fantastic!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

HOLY SHIT YOU JUST MADE MY WEEK. Yes, that warranted all caps. I didn't even know there were new singles out - can you point me to them?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

sparta72 wrote:Can't wait for Tame Impala's new one. Their newer singles and remixes are fantastic!
Likewise! the last album for me was pretty special. the production was just so creative and really made the sound work!
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

seconded! I thought the first Tame Impala album was very impressive, especially for a debut. the new one has a lot to live up to!

anyone heard the new Walkmen? I had a sneaky listen online and it's sounding okay but maybe a bit too.. smooth? I don't think they will ever beat You & Me in my eyes.

also noticed that a 'new' Durutti Column album is coming out imminently, it's Short Stories for Pauline which was meant to be the follow up to Another Setting, but was shelved with various tracks finding a home elsewhere. limited vinyl release only..
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

New Eat Lights Become Lights album "Heavy Electrics" out Sept 3rd on Rocket Girl Records for those that were asking
Nx
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9vWoPuc ... r_embedded

Teaser trailer for Tame Impala's new album, called Lonerism!! (what an odd idea, teaser trailers for albums...)

At least until the vocals come in, the track that's playing reminded me immensely of a James Bond theme song. Then it becomes unmistakeably Tame Impala sounding. Now I really can't wait.

Edit: Just remembered another album I'm looking forward to (reminded because of the idea of a "teaser") - Animal Collective's Centipede Hz.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Tame Impala ... are they still aping Dungen's sound?
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

simonkeeping wrote:
sparta72 wrote:Can't wait for Tame Impala's new one. Their newer singles and remixes are fantastic!
Likewise! the last album for me was pretty special. the production was just so creative and really made the sound work!
That'll be Dave Fridmann - who's produced Lonerism too! I like so many bands he's worked with and albums he's produced it's scary.

Really looking forward to that one too.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

New shizz on my radar:

Four Tet: Pink (August 20)
Goat: World Music (August 20)
Dylan, Bob: Tempest (September 11)
Dinosaur Jr.: I Bet On Sky (Sept. 18)
Sun Araw: The Inner Treaty (Sept. 18)
Soft Pack, The: Strapped (September 25)
Ultraísta: Ultraísta (October 2 - Nigel Godrich's new band, should be interesting)

I'm still eagerly awaiting on my vinyl copy of Cian Ciaran's Outside In album, too.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skeptic_
New user

Post by skeptic_ »

No love for the new Guided By Voices??
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

tamaryn has another record coming out in a few months. the track i heard from it is very promising.
another oh sees record in september.
another ty segall record in october.
wild nothing.
what i've heard of the new raveonettes album so far is good. i liked the double 7 inch they just put out.
angelsighs wrote: anyone heard the new Walkmen? I had a sneaky listen online and it's sounding okay but maybe a bit too.. smooth? I don't think they will ever beat You & Me in my eyes.
i've listened to it quite a bit. no, it's not as good as 'you & me' (i agree with you that they'll never beat that one- it couldn't be more perfect). it does sound a bit too smooth- i think a rougher sound suits them really well. it ditches a lot of the world-weariness in favor of this real anthemic sound- the title track, for example. 'southern heart' is a beautiful song and the last suite of songs leading up to the end are all really interesting.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I listened to "Elephant" and "Apocalypse Dreams" from the new Tame Impala album this morning and both tracks are great (and don't sound like Dungen!). Looking forward to hearing the whole thing.

According to the story on Pitchfork, "The 'Elephant' single will be released in August, with remixes from Canyons and Todd Rundgren (!)."