New Music - 2012

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Re: New Music - 2012

Post by angelsighs »

angelsighs wrote: anyone heard the new Walkmen? I had a sneaky listen online and it's sounding okay but maybe a bit too.. smooth? I don't think they will ever beat You & Me in my eyes.
i've listened to it quite a bit. no, it's not as good as 'you & me' (i agree with you that they'll never beat that one- it couldn't be more perfect). it does sound a bit too smooth- i think a rougher sound suits them really well. it ditches a lot of the world-weariness in favor of this real anthemic sound- the title track, for example. 'southern heart' is a beautiful song and the last suite of songs leading up to the end are all really interesting.[/quote]

yeah for me You & Me really does seem to sum up the bands sound perfectly, and the slightly rougher production really suits them. some of the guitar tones are just gorgeous on that album
how would you say Heaven compares to Lisbon?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

angelsighs wrote: how would you say Heaven compares to Lisbon?
'lisbon' took a while to grow on me. i have a feeling the same is true of 'heaven.' i think that 'heaven' takes a lot of the more rollicking tracks that were on 'lisbon' and improves upon them- i always thought that the weakest tracks on 'lisbon' were the more straight ahead rockers. there's nothing like 'blue as your blood,' 'stranded' or 'torch song,' though (except maybe 'southern heart').
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Also looking forward to the upcoming Wild Nothing release. Have heard some songs from it and they sound ok. Careful not to put too much stock in sophomore efforts, having been disappointed in the recent past (see Fleet Foxes, et al).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

shalloboi wrote:
angelsighs wrote: how would you say Heaven compares to Lisbon?
'lisbon' took a while to grow on me. i have a feeling the same is true of 'heaven.' i think that 'heaven' takes a lot of the more rollicking tracks that were on 'lisbon' and improves upon them- i always thought that the weakest tracks on 'lisbon' were the more straight ahead rockers. there's nothing like 'blue as your blood,' 'stranded' or 'torch song,' though (except maybe 'southern heart').
I didn't like Lisbon that much at all. it all just seemed so flat and samey. whenever I wanted to listen to the band I just kept reaching for You and Me again.
I've just had a listen to Southern Heart- very very nice. might grab the new album
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

runaway wrote:Also looking forward to the upcoming Wild Nothing release. Have heard some songs from it and they sound ok. Careful not to put too much stock in sophomore efforts, having been disappointed in the recent past (see Fleet Foxes, et al).
The new stuff sounded good live, but a bit generic (or, generic Wild Nothing). While I do love the first record, I think the biggest flaw is that when walking the line of having a "definitive sound" and "all sounding the same", it errs a little towards the latter (no matter, because it is still really enjoyable!). The question is, if the second album is going to be more of the same, and if so, will that still be enjoyable?

Also looking forward to Ariel Pink's new stuff, and really been digging the new Peaking Lights recently as well.

Has anybody gotten to listen to Laetitia Sadier's new album? While I love Stereolab and I did enjoy her first solo album a lot, I rarely revisit it. Don't have a lot of money right now but would rather not download it right now, looking for some input.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

runaway wrote:Also looking forward to the upcoming Wild Nothing release. Have heard some songs from it and they sound ok. Careful not to put too much stock in sophomore efforts, having been disappointed in the recent past (see Fleet Foxes, et al).
The new stuff sounded good live, but a bit generic (or, generic Wild Nothing). While I do think the first record is great, especially in the summertime, I think the biggest flaw is that when walking the line of having a "definitive sound" and "all sounding the same", it errs a little towards the latter (no matter, because it is still really enjoyable!). The question is, if the second album is going to be more of the same, and if so, will that still be enjoyable?

Also looking forward to Ariel Pink's new stuff, and really been digging the new Peaking Lights recently as well.

Has anybody gotten to listen to Laetitia Sadier's new album? While I love Stereolab and I did enjoy her first solo album a lot, I rarely revisit it. Don't have a lot of money right now but would rather not download it right now, looking for some input.

Sorry for Sorry the accidental double post!
Last edited by Hofstadter on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Hofstadter wrote:Has anybody gotten to listen to Laetitia Sadier's new album? While I love Stereolab and I did enjoy her first solo album a lot, I rarely revisit it. Don't have a lot of money right now but would rather not download it right now, looking for some input.
I think it's much stronger than The Trip which I wasn't crazy about and rarely revisit either. I think it is her best effort outside of Stereolab to date (imo), some really good tracks on this album.

http://youtu.be/V7kHDoRtXQM

http://youtu.be/-iMo4rZyxT0
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just read about Carlton Melton's upcoming LP, plus the announcement of a UK tour in the Autumn including a date in Brighton no less. Well pleased about this:-

http://www.goldstarpr.com/artistsDetails.php?gid=318
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead are also back this autumn with a new album and a European/UK tour.
Not sure they can reach the heights of Tao again, but happy about that as I didn't expect them back so soon :)
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

The new Fuxa lp is brilliant. Electric Sound of Summer

In fact, I'm not sure how new it is (as there hasn't been much or any mention of it on this thread).

Great all the same - Dean & Britta, PK, Richard Formby involvement. Suicide and Daniel Johnston covers.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

flokie wrote:...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead are also back this autumn with a new album and a European/UK tour.
Not sure they can reach the heights of Tao again, but happy about that as I didn't expect them back so soon :)
can't find much details about this anywhere, can you point me in the right direction?
ive never managed to see them live, they are always "the one who got away" :)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shinesalight wrote:Just read about Carlton Melton's upcoming LP, plus the announcement of a UK tour in the Autumn including a date in Brighton no less. Well pleased about this:-

http://www.goldstarpr.com/artistsDetails.php?gid=318
a rather truncated tour of the "UK" Scotland missed out again :x , haven`t voted for independence just yet,
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

KingHarry wrote:The new Fuxa lp is brilliant. Electric Sound of Summer

In fact, I'm not sure how new it is (as there hasn't been much or any mention of it on this thread).

Great all the same - Dean & Britta, PK, Richard Formby involvement. Suicide and Daniel Johnston covers.
Yeah got this in June I think and mentioned it here. That Suicide cover is about 4/5 years old form an excellent Fuxa EP " Fuxa Commits Suicide" which has that album version of Cheree, another 10 minute version as well, Sonic's version of Suicide's Che that appeared on a Fuxa 7" and a Marty Rev instrumental. A great EP and well worth getting. I haven't played it a huge amount as I knew a few songs already so it took a little from the LP when it finally arrived. Some great stuff on it though. Not so sure about the Daniel Johnston cover though, sounds a little flat to me or maybe it was the wrong track to cover.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Broc wrote:
KingHarry wrote:The new Fuxa lp is brilliant. Electric Sound of Summer

Yeah got this in June I think and mentioned it here. That Suicide cover is about 4/5 years old form an excellent Fuxa EP " Fuxa Commits Suicide" which has that album version of Cheree, another 10 minute version as well, Sonic's version of Suicide's Che that appeared on a Fuxa 7" and a Marty Rev instrumental. A great EP and well worth getting. I haven't played it a huge amount as I knew a few songs already so it took a little from the LP when it finally arrived. Some great stuff on it though. Not so sure about the Daniel Johnston cover though, sounds a little flat to me or maybe it was the wrong track to cover.
Didn't know about that EP, so thanks for that - will try and pick it up. Sonic version of Girl rather than Che though?
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Yeah Girl rather than Che, sorry about that. Nice version too.

You can get the Fuxa EP from Randall Nieman's Mind Expansion Records site. The 10 minute version of Cheree is wonderful. The whole EP is about 25 minutes long, wish it had got a vinyl release.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

couple more new albums on the way:

new album from Mono. great band, really epic post-rockers, there's lots of huge surging guitars but also a sweeping classical element to their sound too. I thought the last album was almost a bit too epic for it's own good (almost to the level of self parody), but I still enjoyed it. unfortunately the only UK date on the horizon seems to be ATP but here's hoping. they are doing loads of US dates though.
http://temporaryresidence.com/descriptions/trr213.php

and a newie from Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound, I know they have been discussed on this board before, psych rock in the Comets/Sleepy Sun vein

http://www.avclub.com/articles/new-musi ... und,81330/
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

angelsighs wrote:
and a newie from Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound, I know they have been discussed on this board before, psych rock in the Comets/Sleepy Sun vein
This band opened for Sleepy Sun the first time I saw them (2009). Assemble Head were good and I even thought to myself I might buy their album. But then Sleepy Sun came on and totally blew them away and I completely forgot what I had seen previously. This was when SS still had Rachel and her and Brett were all painted up like flower children, they had a psychedelic light show and their music was delicate and devastating at the same time. Phenomenal band.

But yea, AHSS were decent. Sunburned Hand of Man also played that night.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The new Eat Lights;Become Lights album is out soon. I know quite a few of you on here like them. I've pre-ordered a vinyl copy directly from Neil (the main EL;BL man) via a link on his FB page. I think the vinyl is going pretty quick as there aren't that many for pre-order, so for those of you who might be interested in getting hold of this and are either not on FB or are not fiends with Neil on FB then here is some info:-

**HEAVY ELECTRICS VINYL PRE-ORDER****

Due for release on September 3rd via Rocket Girl Records/The Great Pop Supplement.
The vinyl is a tri-coloured heavy duty monster of a record and strictly limited pressing.

We have 100 copies available for pre-order now.

Heavy Electrics Vinyl LP - £10.99 + £5.00 EU p+p

£7.00 International p+p

If you'd like to reserve a copy please send paypal payment to neil.rudd3@btinternet.com

Best
Eat lights Become lights

It's also being stocked in Rough Trade for those of you interested in the CD:-

http://www.roughtrade.com/site/shop_det ... sku=354876
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
ericdbn
Known user

Post by ericdbn »

Swans - The Seer... epic!
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Shinesalight wrote:The new Eat Lights;Become Lights album is out soon. I know quite a few of you on here like them. I've pre-ordered a vinyl copy directly from Neil (the main EL;BL man) via a link on his FB page. I think the vinyl is going pretty quick as there aren't that many for pre-order, so for those of you who might be interested in getting hold of this and are either not on FB or are not fiends with Neil on FB then here is some info:-

**HEAVY ELECTRICS VINYL PRE-ORDER****

Due for release on September 3rd via Rocket Girl Records/The Great Pop Supplement.
The vinyl is a tri-coloured heavy duty monster of a record and strictly limited pressing.

We have 100 copies available for pre-order now.

Heavy Electrics Vinyl LP - £10.99 + £5.00 EU p+p

£7.00 International p+p

If you'd like to reserve a copy please send paypal payment to neil.rudd3@btinternet.com

Best
Eat lights Become lights

It's also being stocked in Rough Trade for those of you interested in the CD:-

http://www.roughtrade.com/site/shop_det ... sku=354876
Thanks for this, don't do FB so hadn't heard about it. Free mp3 bonus track when you pre-order too!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the free download track with the pre-ordered vinyl....whoops :oops:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I would definitely add >> to my list. Also, just picked up the two Mount Eerie companion LPs - Clear Moon and Ocean Roar. Still listening, but beautiful so far. Also revisited the Echo Lake album for the first time since around when it came out, in late June. It really is quite nice.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Just listened to Six Organs new one last night, quite outstanding, lovely ebb and flow to the album and Ben's voice is sounding as good as ever.
Been dipping my toe into some more Grateful Dead, albeit only via youtube at the moment. Getting a live feel for them and seeing where it takes me
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Just listened to Six Organs new one last night, quite outstanding, lovely ebb and flow to the album and Ben's voice is sounding as good as ever.
same here, been listening to this album a lot and it's just as good as I hoped! it's not just balls-to-the-wall rock either- there's some droney bits and there's one acoustic track that is still pure Six Organs. possibly a contender for album of the year
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Carter Tutti Void - Transverse

Incredible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAfcgEgef4
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

KingHarry wrote:Carter Tutti Void - Transverse
O man I had been super psyched to hear this a while ago after reading a review or something and I totally forgot about it! Thanks for reminding me!!
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Hofstadter wrote:
KingHarry wrote:Carter Tutti Void - Transverse
O man I had been super psyched to hear this a while ago after reading a review or something and I totally forgot about it! Thanks for reminding me!!
V3 in particular blows the mind
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

angelsighs wrote:
flokie wrote:...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead are also back this autumn with a new album and a European/UK tour.
can't find much details about this anywhere, can you point me in the right direction?
Whoops, holidays and then work got in the way...

There's a new song streaming here:
http://www.visions.de/news/16792/Trail- ... ngpremiere
and tour dates: https://www.facebook.com/andyouwillknow ... 6167614127

-
I'll have this count as 2012 as I never heard it at the time of the original release last year - and it's getting a US release this autumn - but "Gentle Stream" by the Amazing was pretty much the soundtrack of my summer and is wonderfully evocative folk/psych/rock.

Also on heavy rotation: the title track of H.Hawkline's "Black Domino Box" EP
http://hhawkline.bandcamp.com/album/bla ... o-box-ep-2
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

There's been quite a lot of stuff released of interest to the board in the last week or so, and quite a bit coming up in the next few weeks too including:-

Rangda - Formerly Extinct
Sun Araw - The Inner Treaty
Dinosaur Jr - I Bet On Sky (just picked this up and loving it so far)
Woods - Bend Beyond
Carlton Melton - Photos of Photos (tempted to get this today but going to wait till I can hopefully pick up the LP directly off the band when they play down here next month)
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Meat and Bone
Neil Halstead - Palindrome Hunches
Moon Duo - Circles
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Bardo Pond - Yntra

Going to have to make some decisions on what I can and can't afford or start writing out my Xmas wish list :roll:

Can anyone recommend anything above in particular to make my decision making process a little easier?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I take it you're already a fan of Carlton Melton? I tried to get into them. They have a few badass songs (SF Shit being one of them), but in general, I find their primitive recording methods and overall lo-fi sound pretty grating and a LOT of their materially dreadfully dull (the majority of the Country Ways album). I'm definitely looking forward to the new Tame Impala album. The single, "Elephant," is ridiculously good.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I had the privilege to listen to the new Tame Impala: OH MY! I have to say this will be in my top 5 albums this year.

B,

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

flokie wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
Whoops, holidays and then work got in the way...

There's a new song streaming here:
http://www.visions.de/news/16792/Trail- ... ngpremiere
and tour dates: https://www.facebook.com/andyouwillknow ... 6167614127

-
I'll have this count as 2012 as I never heard it at the time of the original release last year - and it's getting a US release this autumn - but "Gentle Stream" by the Amazing was pretty much the soundtrack of my summer and is wonderfully evocative folk/psych/rock.
no worries- thanks for that. listened to that Trail of Dead song and it's okay but doesn't seem to be breaking any new ground for them. they often tread a fine line with the vocals and this does tip a bit into the angsty emo rock sound.
would definitely still like to see them live though, Madonna and Sources tags and codes are great albums.

I like the Amazing too- it can get a bit too breezy in places but its got a nice dreamy feel to it.

this year is looking really good for albums in my opinion.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

jessica bailiff is finally releasing another album. sounds really great- seems like a mix between the self-titled record and the clear horizon record. don't hear a lot of talk about her around here, but i do hear a lot of FSA talk, so i thought it might be nice to share. i'm pretty psyched this was announced so last minute.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/142 ... ot-enough/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote:There's been quite a lot of stuff released of interest to the board in the last week or so, and quite a bit coming up in the next few weeks too including:-

Woods - Bend Beyond
Carlton Melton - Photos of Photos (tempted to get this today but going to wait till I can hopefully pick up the LP directly off the band when they play down here next month)
Moon Duo - Circles
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Bardo Pond - Yntra

Going to have to make some decisions on what I can and can't afford or start writing out my Xmas wish list :roll:

Can anyone recommend anything above in particular to make my decision making process a little easier?
nice little list there Shinesalight. I've got high hopes for the new Tame Impala. I wasn't blown away by the 'Elephant' song that's been trailing it, but hope it makes more sense in context of the full album.
I'm a huge Rangda fan (their debut was one of my favourite albums of recent years infact) so really chomping at the bit for that one.
got to disagree with the negative comments from TheWarmth on Carlton Melton - I love the whole lo-fi sound and far from being dull, could hear those swampy delayed guitars swooshing around forever!
been reading the comments about Sun Araw on the other thread and I have to side with the people that think a little bit of editing would go a long way. I've only got On Patrol- there are some great sounds and some great music on there- love the whole aesthetic too, great sleeve art. but a bit of trimming would make it much more enjoyable. I know the repetitive nature is kind of the point but you can take that to an extreme.. find Moon Duo a bit samey too.

still, like I said previously looking like a great year for albums!!
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

angelsighs wrote: no worries- thanks for that. listened to that Trail of Dead song and it's okay but doesn't seem to be breaking any new ground for them. they often tread a fine line with the vocals and this does tip a bit into the angsty emo rock sound.
would definitely still like to see them live though, Madonna and Sources tags and codes are great albums.
And they're streaming another one on Spotify now. I don't want to judge on one or two songs before hearing the album - I was rather underwhelmed when I first heard 'Weight of the Sun' eg. but it made perfect sense once I heard Tao of the Dead!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Just a few more albums coming out that I'm looking forward to, which I don't think have been mentioned:

Ultraísta: Ultraísta (Nigel Godrich's new project - October 2)
Flying Lotus: Until The Quiet Comes (October 2)
Aphex Twin: I Care Because You Do and Richard D. James Album (Vinyl Represses - October 9)
Clinic: Free Reign (November 12)
Haines, Luke, Cathal Coughlan, Andrew Mueller: The North Sea Scrolls (November 19)
Eno, Brian: Lux (December 11th U.S. vinyl release)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote: I'm a huge Rangda fan (their debut was one of my favourite albums of recent years infact) so really chomping at the bit for that one.
got to disagree with the negative comments from TheWarmth on Carlton Melton - I love the whole lo-fi sound and far from being dull, could hear those swampy delayed guitars swooshing around forever!
been reading the comments about Sun Araw on the other thread and I have to side with the people that think a little bit of editing would go a long way. I've only got On Patrol- there are some great sounds and some great music on there- love the whole aesthetic too, great sleeve art. but a bit of trimming would make it much more enjoyable. I know the repetitive nature is kind of the point but you can take that to an extreme.. find Moon Duo a bit samey too.

still, like I said previously looking like a great year for albums!!
I listened to that new Rangda album in my local record shop last week Sighs, and wasn't that blown away. It was a bit spaghetti western sounding for my liking. Not a patch on the latest Six Organs record.

As for Carlton Melton, as you know, they're one of my favourites of the current crop of drone bands. Really looking forward to seeing them live in Brighton in a few weeks time. Have managed to resist the urge to buy their latest album in the hope that I can get it directly off them (and signed?!....I know, what a loser! :oops: )

Agreed on the Sun Araw front.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Shinesalight wrote:There's been quite a lot of stuff released of interest to the board in the last week or so, and quite a bit coming up in the next few weeks too including:-

Woods - Bend Beyond
Moon Duo - Circles
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Bardo Pond - Yntra

The Dinosaur Jr record is a massively good shout not much else getting a look in on my stereo at the moment :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote: I listened to that new Rangda album in my local record shop last week Sighs, and wasn't that blown away. It was a bit spaghetti western sounding for my liking. Not a patch on the latest Six Organs record.
yeah well i've read that it's less noisy and more twangy than the first. although i really enjoyed the noise on the first album a lot of the more melodic moments were also sublime. when i've given it a few listens I'll post my thoughts here.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Woods - Bend Beyond

Sounds like woods. I like Woods.

(No really Out of The Eye-esque track though - oh well)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Godspeed.... new album... just two and a half weeks to wait...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hofstadter wrote:Godspeed.... new album... just two and a half weeks to wait...
:shock:
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Hofstadter wrote:Woods - Bend Beyond

Sounds like woods. I like Woods.

(No really Out of The Eye-esque track though - oh well)

I love Woods but haven't got this as yet. I need to get the new Thee Oh Sees album too. The opening track on that is stunning.

I did buy The Chromatics "Kill For Love" last week and it's a lovely 'grower' of an album. The first 6-8 tracks are marvellous but then it dips into a much more meloncholy mood, more ambient and soundtrack-ish, which I wasn't too keen on initially. It's a long album clocking in at 70+ mins but it's slowly wormed it's way into my brain box to the point where I'm playing it on rotation (via the ipod). The more downbeat second half is perfect for late night listening in bed before lights off. Conjures up a great mood and if you've seen Drive then you'll know that whilst listening to it you'll feel all moody and noir-ish......possibly with a tooth pick in your mouth.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

angelsighs wrote:

Here you go...

http://exclaim.ca/News/godspeed_you_bla ... _in_decade
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

johnnyboy wrote: I need to get the new Thee Oh Sees album too. The opening track on that is stunning.
You won't be disappointed. 8)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Laz69 wrote:
angelsighs wrote:

Here you go...

http://exclaim.ca/News/godspeed_you_bla ... _in_decade
this is incredible news- that's how you release an album, just pop it out without warning or hype.. it's even on sale at their shows right now apparently!

my enthusiasm is (only slightly) dampened by the fact it's 'just' the two new songs they were playing before they split up, along with two drone pieces.
I've never listened to the bootlegs with these songs on, so doesn't really bother me (they are still 'new' to me), and also I always thought Godspeed did drones very well. it's something that people don't seem to mention among the talk of crescendos etc, but they always had excellently evocative and atmospheric drone sections in there too.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote:[this is incredible news- that's how you release an album, just pop it out without warning or hype.. it's even on sale at their shows right now apparently!
Yeah, this news has really come out of the blue hasn't it. There's more infor on their record label website:-

http://cstrecords.com/cst081/

Definitely interested in getting the LP with the bonus 7". 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Heard the opener, Mladic, from the new Godspeed album... intense mantra-style build up before it hits you like a freight train... absolutely brilliant! Production sounds brilliant on the album track.
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

Laz69 wrote:Heard the opener, Mladic, from the new Godspeed album... intense mantra-style build up before it hits you like a freight train... absolutely brilliant!
this track is "Albanian"! it has been my favorite godspeed track ever since i heard it at the london gig in 2010.
what a great year 2012 is. cannot wait to see them next month.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

listened to the new godspeed on the way to work- it's really great! i was kind of worried because 'yanqui u.x.o.' was nowhere near as good as 'lift yr skinny fists...' but i'm pretty excited to hand over the money for this record. at reckless they usually have the special editions in stock long after other places in town (and online) run out and for cheap, so i'm hoping it might still be possible to get the vinyl with the 7". even if not the record itself is enough for me.
robotoilet wrote:cannot wait to see them next month.
you are in for quite a treat. time has done nothing to dull their power as a live act. saw them last year and it was absolutely fantastic! probably more intense than when i saw them in 2000.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Really loving the new Hammock – Departure Songs album.

B,
M
Design.
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

shalloboi wrote:saw them last year and it was absolutely fantastic! probably more intense than when i saw them in 2000.
i picked some of the live recordings from their last year's tour. as you say they got more and more powerful.
"We Drift Like Worried Fire", which used to be called "Gamelan", is also my favorite.
angelsighs wrote:
Shinesalight wrote: I listened to that new Rangda album in my local record shop last week Sighs, and wasn't that blown away. It was a bit spaghetti western sounding for my liking. Not a patch on the latest Six Organs record.
yeah well i've read that it's less noisy and more twangy than the first. although i really enjoyed the noise on the first album a lot of the more melodic moments were also sublime.
i really enjoy "Formerly Extinct". maybe it's less noisy and lacks sublime stuff like "Plain of Jars". but as far as i see their live videos, "Plugged Nickel" and "Majnun" sounds rockier and more driving than any of the first album tracks. above all Chasny sounds even more amazing when he plays with Corsano. so i don't think this album is inferior to their first or "Ascent".
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Echo Lake — Wild Peace

In my top ten for the year.

I like dreamy stuff... This does it for me. Sunday morning, slight hangover playing with my son.

B,

M
Design.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Picked up the new Godspeed! album on Friday. I've only listened to it twice so far. I'm a bit underwhelmed at present. We also picked up the 1612 Underture by The Eccentronic Research Council which is quite entertaining in a Delia Derbyshire/EAR stylee.

Highlight of the week so far is a Kraftwerk bootleg on grey vinyl with excepts from gigs in 1975 &1981. Newly issued so that is why it gets posted here
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

robotoilet wrote: i really enjoy "Formerly Extinct". maybe it's less noisy and lacks sublime stuff like "Plain of Jars". but as far as i see their live videos, "Plugged Nickel" and "Majnun" sounds rockier and more driving than any of the first album tracks. above all Chasny sounds even more amazing when he plays with Corsano. so i don't think this album is inferior to their first or "Ascent".
I've listened to Formerly Extinct a few times now and although it's okay, I much prefer the first album. I guess it is a bit more focussed, but it just doesn't seem as exciting to me. with all the eastern scales and twanging, could it be that Richard Bishop took the lead a bit more on this album?
still very much looking forward to seeing them live, though.. particularly if like you say, these new songs get a bit rockier.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

not quite 2012, but there's a new Yo La Tengo out in January
http://store.matadorrecords.com/fade
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hey, whatever happened to the reunited Mazzy Star release? Shalloboi, any news?