Happy Birthday Lazer Guided Melodies

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

clewsr
Known user

Happy Birthday Lazer Guided Melodies

Post by clewsr »

20 years, can you believe it?

I remember buying this on the advice of the Coventry evening telegraph, and not being sure how to describe it to my friends in the pub that night, just that it was unlike anything I'd heard before. The start of a very long love.

The original and still the best?

http://stereogum.com/1040112/lazer-guid ... p-stories/
PopeJez
Known user

Re: Happy Birthday Lazer Guided Melodies

Post by PopeJez »

I'll raise a glass a bit later on. Shine A Light is still one of my favourite Spiritualized songs.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Reminds me of playing it to my brother on the way to Leeds to watch the final game of the season and being presented with the title. Within seconds of You Know Its True starting he looked up at me and said 'this is really good'. Happy days...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The last 20 years of my life are far better for this having been released. FAR BETTER!
Happy Birthday LGM.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I found the LGM cassette the other day, bought in the week of release. This makes me feel really old......still, at least it wasn't a four-track. :shock:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

spzretent wrote:The last 20 years of my life are far better for this having been released. FAR BETTER!
Happy Birthday LGM.
So true!
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Seems like yesterday and boy, do I feel old. Nice to see that other people remember these kind of things, too.

I used to work in a small record store and we use to place our UK order the Friday before the Monday release dates. We usually would get the shipment that following Friday (sometimes wouldn't show up until Monday). Fridays used to be like Xmas (every week) with new releases, the papers, and mags from the UK. I can still remember counting down the days (and hoping it was Friday and not Monday) for this shipment with LGM included. I clearly remember opening the box up and seeing the LP (with the Chain with No Name Sticker) peering out from under the papers, mags, and other cds in the box. We got three copies of the ltd. vinyl, and three copies of the cd. I remember I wanted to keep them all because they were so beautiful looking. I got the lp and cd and the other copies were sold that weekend. Man, I miss those days.
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

I didn't know the album was even getting released when it happened. It was on the new arrival wall of the darkly lit Repo Records and I had mistaken it for the Run single and walked right by it. Luckily, my girlfriend had sharper eyes, grabbed it and followed me back into the store. "Do you have the black one?", she asked. Eyah, it was only a few seconds into the first track and I knew it was something very special. It was a beautiful day out, and a good time in life overall ... so many factors could have contributed to the experience of that first listen... but no other new record before or since then had that effect.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

synthiA wrote:It was on the new arrival wall of the darkly lit Repo Records
:) 8)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

—HB•LGM™
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Happy Birthday LGM. what an amazing, unique, special album!
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

I still have the cassette of LGM that I bought at Sam Goody solely because of the ghostly figures on the cover. I didn't know from Spacemen 3 at the time so buying the album was a pure shot in the dark for me. But it turned out to be a great choice because without it, I don't know what direction my musical taste, or my life for that matter, would've taken me.

LGM literally changed my life, and even though I know Jason doesn't read these boards, I just want him to know that my life has been immeasurably enriched in every way because of him, his philosophy, and mostly, his music.

"All the best things in life fuck you up the most, whether it's lovesickness or drugsickness."
- J Spaceman
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

I've pretty much made it clear to everyone that at my wake (screw having a funeral, party please!) I want "Shine A Light" played.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

This is still my fave Spz album
taikonaut
Known user
Location: at the gates requesting new passwords that never ever work

Post by taikonaut »

Dreamweapon wrote:This is still my fave Spz album
+1

today I am the chairman of the bored!

here is some BS for the hippies (or the anciently minded)

It is a gemini.. an opportunist who wastes energy by doing too many things

Lazer is in the mercurial gemini decan - curious seekers, always ready to be distracted by a marvelous scenery, a strong affinity to the arts

moon in aquarius - intelligent and lucid, modern, original, inventive, non-conformist and brings new life.. eccentric, with sharp mood swings.

mercury in taurus
- Lazer is sometimes naive, stubborn, obstinate, withdrawn. Slow to react
drones anyone?

venus in taurus - Likes to please and dress up. Affectionate, sensual and loving in nature, sensitive to melodious sounds. Love arrives slowly, without passion but with force.
indolence, laziness, immoderate taste for pleasures of Life.

Mars in Aries - bold and adventurous, boldness that can lead to violence, or to an accident, but certainly leads to problems.
No! Don´t break up the band! :cry:

Jupiter in Virgo - methodical and practical, likes order, organization and harmony, can easily link everything together.
Lazer guided melodies has a tendency to distrust his circle, does not trust people.

Saturn in Aquarius - will teach himself, serious and methodical in work. Likes to visit the elderly and intellectuals, who both enrich his mind.
Weaknesses: bad luck, adversity, problems and disappointed hopes.

431 Conjunction Mercury - Venus - likes to speak and write, and does both with charm and artistry, likes the Arts but also travelling.

-224 Opposition Mercury - Pluto - likes contradiction and is irascible, arguments are noisy and animated.

178 Trine Sun - Moon - has lots of vitality, likes public life, Lazer is popular and his company is appreciated.

87 Trine Mercury - Neptune can put down in writing everything that imagination and intuition dictates.

81 Trine Mercury - Uranus - perspicacious, ingenious: binds intelligence and originality together with genius.

-32 Square Sun - Jupiter Lazer goes to excesses of all sorts, is proud and arrogant, and considers himself much superior to others.

29 Trine Venus - Neptune - professional life is unstable. has a taste for the Arts, is a dreamer, is easily influenced and romantic, emotional and very sensitive.

-14 Square Mars - Uranus is full of contradictions. original, tending to the eccentric, violent, headstrong, impatient and irascible.

13 Trine Venus - Uranus - is unfaithful if he has a serious relationship. LGM likes art, anything new.

I used London as its birthplace since the final mix was done there by J.. (and he is the mother)

now I will make a horoscope for everyone on this board..

born on earth: you are full of contradictions. You like some entertainment and love. End.
Jason Pierce wrote:the pop part of Spiritualized is the bit I'm most uncomfortable about
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

"I´m not frightened by any culture or people (ok perhaps a little by spzretent..)" taikonaut April 23, 2012

Well, after that last post I am officially frightened of you my friend. :shock:
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i thought you had to be sane to be a spz fan? :? :shock: :roll:
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

Twenty years ago, I was at my local mall at the shittiest of shitty music stores, perusing their cassette section (yes, I was still hanging on), and I saw one with the most beautiful title, Lazer Guided Melodies, so I pulled it from the wall to take a closer look at it. "Spiritualized. What a great name," I thought to myself and was instantly taken by the two glowing, ghostly figures seemingly floating in space, as if they represented how this album was actually going to sound: otherworldly. I was halfway to the register while reading through the track listing and I knew this was something special. 

After so many years with J. Spaceman as my co-pilot, I've come to realize that this find was no coincidence. I wasn't searching for anything in particular that day, l was just killing time. But, now when I think about it, I could've just as easily walked right past where LGM was hanging on the wall and perhaps would've never had experienced that moment of discovering the band that would eventually become my musical soul mate for the better part of my life. 

During that time, I was a lost soul. I didn't know who I was or what I wanted to be. So, on that day in Sam Goody doing absolutely nothing but killing time and feeling lost, I felt a slight tap on my shoulder, stopping me in my tracks. Then there it was, right in front of me, forcing my eyes to focus on this one cassette. It was this cassette that in many respects, effectively changed many facets of my life. 

I didn't find Spiritualized that day, nor did I find them by accident. I believe that a series of moments put me in that spot at that particular time, allowing Spiritualized to find me. They then bestowed their gift of music upon someone lost in life and in need of comforting - and that person turned out to be me. 

And now, after 20 years, almost 20 shows, around 90 CD and vinyl releases, and copious amounts of money spent on shirts and merch supporting Jason and the band on the road, I simply cannot imagine my life without them in it. I just wish I could tell Jason how grateful I am, for without Spiritualized in my life, I could still just be wandering lost and lonely. And had Laser Guided Melodies not found me that day 20 years ago, I believe that I eventually would've killed much more than my time.

"All the best things in life fuck you up the most, whether it's lovesickness or drugsickness."
- J Spaceman
taikonaut
Known user

Post by taikonaut »

spzretent wrote: Well, after that last post I am officially frightened of you my friend. :shock:
fear makes the world go round :P
Jason Pierce wrote:the pop part of Spiritualized is the bit I'm most uncomfortable about
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

taikonaut wrote:quote]

fear makes the world go round :P
Not mine.
taikonaut
Known user

Post by taikonaut »

..assuming we are not talking about fear of astrology or other cultures my guess is that you have balls the size of space hoppers! (eeh.. hoppityhop something in america)

fear may not be the main motivator but I do believe it has a part to play for human ambition even when it doesn´t terrify you consciously.. call me a cynic

On the other hand I don´t think I personally would be less ambitious even if I was guaranteed a thousand years of perfect health for myself and family..
but it´s obviously hard to know what that would be like.. perhaps everyone would get bored after 500 years or so and start posting horoscopes of their favourite albums on message boards :shock: :lol:

I will probably become increasingly arty-farty during my 4th century and only listen to 12-tone dodecaphony..
the horror.. (but it´s kind of fun to play for a minute or two)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

taikonaut wrote:..assuming we are not talking about fear of astrology or other cultures my guess is that you have balls the size of space hoppers! )
Yep. It aint easy having to walk around with them in a wheelbarrow all the time.
Attachments
gonad.png
gonad.png (86.77 KiB) Viewed 2876 times