Black Music Disaster

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

lazy ben
Known user

Black Music Disaster

Post by lazy ben »

There was mention of this on the what are you listening to now? thread but nobody appeared to have actually listened to it...

They were selling copies at the LA gig last night so I bought one and have it on now. One single 38 minute piece and obviously far closer in feel to the treader release featuring spaceman than anything spiritualized. It's modern jazz and 5 minutes in I haven't heard much guitar yet and there has been some of the drumkit falling down the stairs stuff that modern jazz is mocked for. More comments later if I make it to the end...

matthew shipp - farfisa organ
j spaceman - electric guitar
steve noble - drums
john coxon - electric guitar

recorded on 13th feb 2010 at cafe oto london
lazy ben
Known user

Re: Black Music Disaster

Post by lazy ben »

Well, it gets better when it gets going and there's some guitars in there and they're all bashing away at once. About half of it is something I would listen to again, half of it is somewhat tedious modern jazz wankery. But as it's all one track one has to listen to it all.

It won't be going into heavy rotation but will be borne in mind as something that would be good for appearing sophisticated or getting the missus to leave the room.

It was 15 bucks by the way, probably worth a punt if you liked the treader stuff. Avoid like the plague if you didn't.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Just stumbled across this thread. I think I need to pick up a copy of this album. I didn't make it to the Oto show but it sounded like a good night. This is the first I've read about this release anywhere. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit****

It's released on the 5th June. check the wire review on the Thirsty Ear facebook page. It says compared to this the Spring Heel Jack live album sounded like Weather Report. :shock:
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

just downloaded it from amazon
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

going back a bit.. but bought this as part of a continuing journey into the free jazz/improv world and I really like it. Matthew Shipp is on farfisa (not his normal instrument apparently) which can give the feel of a demented circus organ at times, and kinda wish the guitars were slightly louder in the mix. but definitely some fierce moments not too far off Spiritualized's more freeform moments
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Thanks for the reminder on this one. I need to dig out my copy and listen again.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

And thanks for the reminder from me. Picked up a cheap copy on Discogs last night.
It'll probably only be listened to once, if at all. Unfortunately, the sad, pathetic, collector dickhead in me had to have it :roll: :oops:
There is also the possibility that I actually do have it already :roll: :roll: :roll:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:48 pm And thanks for the reminder from me. Picked up a cheap copy on Discogs last night.
It'll probably only be listened to once, if at all. Unfortunately, the sad, pathetic, collector dickhead in me had to have it :roll: :oops:
There is also the possibility that I actually do have it already :roll: :roll: :roll:
haha you mean you try to collect everything Spaceman? this is honestly pretty good. better than Guitar Loops at least.
I think I might also try to get hold of the Spaceman/Kid Millions recording as what I've heard of that sounded pretty good.