heading for the top

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

clewsr
Known user

heading for the top

Post by clewsr »

blimey check out doggen, This is a great tune. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsTACrL28mo
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: heading for the top

Post by spzretent »

Makes me wish Detroit was at the end of the tour instead of the beginning. They are on fire right now.
Star of that clip is still the red headed back up singer.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Three nights after this video was shot they were in Portland (the final headline show on the US portion of the tour). They were definitely on fire and the venue smaller than the Wiltern! 8)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Prob my fave on SHSL atm

Killer live version

Primed to be a classic Spz track

We should be headin' for the top
gonna burn brightly
for a while
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I loved the intro when I first heard it live, it sounds like it was going to be an LGM or pure phase number. Doggen's guitar shredding is just incredible.

Agree its probably my favourite on the album too. Although I have 4 clear favourites.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Also one of my top picks from the album, and also at the moment my favorite. There's something very "Things'll Never Be The Same" about this song that I dig.

My top 4 right now are:

Headin For The Top
You Get What You Deserve
Life Is A Problem
Mary
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

thats brilliant ,really good sound for somebody filming from so far back ,love Doggens shredding,and J`s vocal is quality,
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

In person, the bass line was so fucking groovy and cool. That was what was blowing me away at the time. It's still so cool to go back and listen to it again though, picking something slightly different out each time from that vid.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

As anyone I saw in the UK in October can attest to, I was raving about this track. It seemed like this crazy jugging beast and in October Doggen was playing mostly just the lead melody...over and over and over and over...pounding it into your head. It worked on me. I had that riff stuck in my head for a majority of the trip. I was a bit shocked when I heard the album version, but enjoyed it after a few listens. The new live version is still different - more straightforward, but groovier whereas the October version was very basic. I think I still like the October one the best.
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

toomilk wrote:As anyone I saw in the UK in October can attest to, I was raving about this track. It seemed like this crazy jugging beast and in October Doggen was playing mostly just the lead melody...over and over and over and over...pounding it into your head. It worked on me. I had that riff stuck in my head for a majority of the trip. I was a bit shocked when I heard the album version, but enjoyed it after a few listens. The new live version is still different - more straightforward, but groovier whereas the October version was very basic. I think I still like the October one the best.
I feel exactly the same about this track. When I saw them in February, on this track Kev’s drumming was really powerful and so that still sounded strong and groovy. So when I listened to the album and the NPR live, I was bit sad about the change of arrangement. The same can be said about Get What You Deserve, which sounded louder in February gig than the album version and I love that arrangement. But sadly this track seems dropped from the resent set list.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

toomilk wrote:As anyone I saw in the UK in October can attest to, I was raving about this track. It seemed like this crazy jugging beast and in October Doggen was playing mostly just the lead melody...over and over and over and over...pounding it into your head. It worked on me. I had that riff stuck in my head for a majority of the trip. I was a bit shocked when I heard the album version, but enjoyed it after a few listens. The new live version is still different - more straightforward, but groovier whereas the October version was very basic. I think I still like the October one the best.
I do remember that Kevin. it was a massive beast indeed- just like a juggernaut of sound. I remember saying previously that I wished it had a bit more dynamics to it, (it just starts loud and stays there), and I got my wish in the recent live versions, but now i'm eating my words. much prefer the old version. and you are right- THAT riff isn't really that prominent on the album version either at all!
I agree with robotoilet that I prefer the October version of Get What You Deserve too.

ah well, shouldn't complain about having distinctly different versions of a track knocking about, I guess.