Little girl new 7"

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

herman
Known user

Little girl new 7"

Post by herman »

According to HMV, the new spiritualized single will be released june 17th and will be ''Little gir'l...
"Thank you"
jmb066
Known user

Re: Little girl new 7"

Post by jmb066 »

B-Side mentioned?
Jason Burkett
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

"Exclusive non-album b-side" according to rough trade. Same sleeve as Hey Jane except it's green this time.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

hmm not a song I like really, but's it's catchy and short I guess so an obvious single.

I bet the B side is True Love... from the Japanese album
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

angelsighs wrote:hmm not a song I like really, but's it's catchy and short I guess so an obvious single.

Agree with you there on both points Mr Sighs. Hope you are wrong on the 2nd - a new unheard song would be good......
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

sometimes i wish that i was dead...

welcome to your summer singalong everyone!

the song actually does have a p nice msg... it's just a really boring song... by quite a distance the song i like least in the entire spaceman catalogue. a pastiche too far, & of too many other crap songs.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

angelsighs wrote:hmm not a song I like really, but's it's catchy and short I guess so an obvious single.

I sincerely hope he leaves his version of True Love... off this, the SPZ versions I've heard are truly awful in IMO.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

a pastiche too far, & of too many other crap songs.
Ok, go ahead and explain yourself. Exactly what horrible songs does "Little Girl" remind you of? I'm curious.

I'm looking forward to the new single.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions, but it's been said before that there is sometimes an overwhelming amount of negativity here. I don't mean to single you out, jw, but your post was one of two in this thread that deflated my mood this morning.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Broc wrote:

I sincerely hope he leaves his version of True Love... off this, the SPZ versions I've heard are truly awful in IMO.
got to respectfully disagree, I think it's lovely
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

angelsighs wrote:
Broc wrote:

got to respectfully disagree, I think it's lovely
Perhaps Broc hasn't heard the studio version. It's quite beautiful.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

TheWarmth wrote:
a pastiche too far, & of too many other crap songs.
Ok, go ahead and explain yourself. Exactly what horrible songs does "Little Girl" remind you of? I'm curious.

I'm looking forward to the new single.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions, but it's been said before that there is sometimes an overwhelming amount of negativity here. I don't mean to single you out, jw, but your post was one of two in this thread that deflated my mood this morning.

sorry, didn't mean to burst your bubble! :p

just a difference of opinion, shouldn't let it get u down.

i can't put my finger on what the oh-la-la-la's remind me off right now, but umpteen west coast soft rock bands/songs are certainly similar. it also reminds me in it's guitar work/progression of Oasis, Be Here Now Era & maybe specifically their Stand By Me.

fwiw, i don't ever see an overwhelming negativity on this board. if anything i'm often a little surprised at how effusive the praise is for j's (& sonic's) output. i don't love everything they do.
but i did at least have something positive to say about Little Girl - i do think it's a lovely msg behind the lyric. it is something that rings true.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

TheWarmth wrote:Perhaps Broc hasn't heard the studio version. It's quite beautiful.
Not meaning to deflate anyone's day hear by posting a little criticism, one of the many strengths of this board.

No I haven't heard the studio version, only the live ones over the years. Many artists have covered this, artists I have/had a huge amount of time for like Beck and Flaming Lips but always thought they were really flat except for the outta-this-world Spectrum versions.

I suppose any straightforward cover of this track is gonna pale when compared to the Spectrum versions. I'll still buy the 7" and listen to the b-side (if it is True Love..) with an open mind. I'm always willing to have a change of heart or change of mind and willing to accept when I'm in the wrong so I'll post here what I think of the SPZ version when I hear it (as if anyone cares :lol: )

If I still don't like it I'll say so in the hope it doesn't piss anyone off, not my intention at all... I do wish though that there were a few more tracks in the vaults that didn't make the cut for SHSL, would prefer something like that to appear on b-sides. It was the same with Songs In A+E I think, I can't imagine Jason didn't have any tracks leftover from those two LPs...
Last edited by Broc on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

jack white wrote:it also reminds me in it's guitar work/progression of Oasis,
I agree. I like Little Girl a lot but near the end of the guitar solo there is definitely a little flourish that has a striking resemblance to a lot of Oasis stuff (of the Oasis stuff I've heard on the radio).

I can get over it though...A second 7" is most welcome and SPZ should capitalise on the positive reception for SHSL and the recent tour...
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I love Little Girl, it's one of my favorites from the new record. Like Do It All Over Again after On Fire from Let It Come Down, it's kind of a palette-cleanser after an opener that isn't as orchestral as much of the rest of the album.

I think it's a great Spiritualized pop song. Perhaps it's a pastiche (I prefer the term homage) but I don't think any more so than plenty of other Spz songs. I'm a pretty big Oasis fan and I just don't hear them at all in Little Girl -- to me the most Oasis moment on SHSL is when the band explodes into the chorus of So Long You Pretty Things, which may be my least favorite moment on the record.

I hope it's a new b-side! The version of True Love Will Find You In The End is good (if not quite as good as some of Sonic's version), but some new material would be preferable.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I wouldn't say this board was unduly negative. And besides I think its good when people post differing opinions - it would be a little dull otherwise.

Agree with you Broc the Spectrum version of True Love is amazing. Wasn't aware it had been covered by Beck and the Lips, will have to check them out.

The last B side with new tracks on were for Let it come down, - Rock and Roll and Going down slow, they were amazing for not having been on the album! Particularly Going down slow, which is a great tune. It would be good to hear another lost treasure or two..either that or a 15 minute version of I am what I am, which surely must exist
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I was just in a bad mood this morning and some of the comments here didn't help. However, I think Spzretent pointed out some heavy-handed negativity awhile back around the time when the Hey Jane video was released. There was a barrage of extremely harsh posts directed at Spaceman's work (the video, SHSL album art, new songs, etc.). Again, I'm all for people expressing their opinions, but sometimes it can grate a bit considering this is the Spiritualized forum.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Love Little Girl. I think the lyrics are great, the chorus flows, and it's the perfect contrast to the hugeness of Hey Jane.

Also love the new studio version of True Love and am amazed that it is considered an "outtake," but yes, like the rest, I'm hoping for a new jam on the b-side.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I`ve no interest in buying a 7" single ,but IMO Little Girl is a great song ,caught my ear as soon as I heard the first bootleg last Oct.,and love it still on the album ,couldn`t bad mouth anything on this album ,its a great Spiritualized album ,not really my bag to bad mouth the J. aint how a think about the man , certainly wouldn`t come on here and dig him up ,leave that to other folks ,of which their seems quite a few ( the internet wide) , apparently he`s quite Marmitey ,makes no sense to me ,but then he`s been floating my boat for 25 yrs.
zipzapzopzoup
Known user

Post by zipzapzopzoup »

Does it strike anyone as odd that this isn't on Double Six's site yet?
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

jack white wrote:the song actually does have a p nice msg... it's just a really boring song... by quite a distance the song i like least in the entire spaceman catalogue. a pastiche too far, & of too many other crap songs.
jack white wrote:but i did at least have something positive to say about Little Girl - i do think it's a lovely msg behind the lyric. it is something that rings true.
What's your interpretation of the song's message?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

u gotta hold on to those u hold dear!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

don't worry jw- if it's anything like the other singles it will never see the light of day :lol: indeed it will be the first track on RCW Vol:3 8) :D
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Its up on Rough Trades site. No mention of a release date or B-side though.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The Dr wrote:don't worry jw- if it's anything like the other singles it will never see the light of day :lol: indeed it will be the first track on RCW Vol:3 8) :D
So true. Still think YLYC was hard done by, really liked the promo for that one..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

This is now showing as an August release at HMV...
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

The B side isn't the Japanese version of True Love...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Excellent!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that's great news!
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Sweet!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It's a live version of Soul on Fire
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

How do you know? I can't see the track listing anywhere? The iTunes version doesn't even have a b-side :cry:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

TheWarmth wrote:I was just in a bad mood this morning and some of the comments here didn't help. However, I think Spzretent pointed out some heavy-handed negativity awhile back around the time when the Hey Jane video was released. There was a barrage of extremely harsh posts directed at Spaceman's work (the video, SHSL album art, new songs, etc.). Again, I'm all for people expressing their opinions, but sometimes it can grate a bit considering this is the Spiritualized forum.
This is the double edged sword the internent has become. You can say what you want. People can hide behind their keyboard and just post whatever. I feel it did get out of control right around the release of the Hey Jane video/trailer. While no post was at all moderated, we(moderators) felt obligated to steer the board in a more posiitive direction. Its a lot more pleasant especially when a new release is imminent. So if that means taking people to task every once in a while and having people jump back down my throat i'm up for that. Sunny's posts really helped out in that department. As did Runcible and Bza's.
We all realize no band is above criticism. At some point it gets out of control and a bit unfair.
I love this message board when you can feel the excitement burst thru the posts around either new releases or live shows. Its amazing.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I was only joking
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Not directed at you James. Just a response to a post.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Oh yeah I know, I was responding to the above post. I never get in any bother, honest.
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

I'd actually like to hear a couple of remixes for the b-sides. Or at least a song or two that didn't make the cut on the new album, of which I'm sure there are a few. But please, no radio edits, live tunes or instrumental versions of songs that are identical to the original - only without the vocals. I'm tired of seeing the same old fodder. But to be fair - at least from Amazing Grace forward - Jason never struck me as an artist who would record 20 songs, select 10-12 tracks for the album, then use the rest for singles or an EP. I think Jason pours all of his time and energy only into the songs that will eventually become the finished album.

Man, I miss the old days when singles were a gold mine of incredible b-sides. You'd get the single plus 3 brand new songs that were at times better than those on the album. I remember once years ago, I was record shopping and went into this tiny shop in NYC I've never been to before. They didn't have much, but when I hit their used CD section, my jaw dropped when I happened upon a stack of 10 Boo Radleys singles, all rare and out-of-print, and all packed with some of the best material they've ever released. Needless to say, I snagged them all for a great price. That was a great find.

But, I digress.

"All the best things in life fuck you up the most, whether it's lovesickness or drugsickness."
- J Spaceman
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

CD Singles dont even get released anymore do they? We used to sell loads of them in my shop.
Friggin' nuts I tell ya!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

teaser video http://fakewalls.com/blog/2012/6/29/tea ... -girl.html

there also a link to a good little video interview.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

James T wrote:It's a live version of Soul on Fire

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It looks like they are taking pre-orders now at rough trade: http://www.roughtrade.com/site/shop_det ... sku=352134
zipzapzopzoup
Known user

Post by zipzapzopzoup »

But now's there's no release date? Or clue as to what the b-side is?

I'm really not convinced this is coming out.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It's on the UK iTunes. No b-side, but it's available...with artwork...

A lot more than the Sweet Talk/YLYC single, eh?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

HMV lists the release date as August 6, 2012:

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=763696
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Watched it a few times in a row now. It looks great. Sort of a very similar aesthetic to the Hey Jane video. I love the little vignettes, and how they give the songs new stories. Now I'm really hoping they just go through the whole album and do one for each song :)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

zipzapzopzoup wrote:But now's there's no release date? Or clue as to what the b-side is?

I'm really not convinced this is coming out.
didn't you lie... have a video then failed to appear?

inominavel
New user

Post by inominavel »

According to Domino Records:
"The single itself is out on August 6th, and is released digitally and on 7". It's included on the album Sweet Heart Sweet Light, which was released earlier this year and is available digitally, on CD and 2xLP right here."

http://www.dominorecordco.com/uk/news/0 ... and-video/
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

single for pre order.... http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/produc ... 84694.html

b side an instrumental of I am what I am. Slightly disapinted its not an extended 15 minute version! but its temped me enough to order it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

still easily could be an extended version, no? here's hoping
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

clewsr wrote:single for pre order.... http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/produc ... 84694.html

b side an instrumental of I am what I am. Slightly disapinted its not an extended 15 minute version! but its temped me enough to order it.
You can't fit a 15 minute track on one side of a 7", ya turkey!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

pedant! not even if its 33rpm?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Nah, I don't think there'd be any way to get 15 minutes on one side of a 7". See below:

Taken from http://aardvarkmastering.com:

7" at 45 rpm, max time at +3db, 4 mins.
7" at 45 rpm, max time at 0db, 5 mins.
7" at 45 rpm, max time at -3db, 6 mins.

7" at 33 rpm, max time at 0db, 6-1/2 mins. Not Suggested due to distortion potential.
7" at 33 rpm, max time at -3db, 7-1/2 mins.
7" at 33 rpm, max time at -6db, 9-1/2 mins.

jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Good news! I'd much rather an instrumental, as with past singles, than the random radio session tracks that have been b-sides for the last few records.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

There was a 1-track CD promo on Ebay that ended yesterday. I was comically outbid at the very last second by someone else. Yay for bid snipers.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Has anyone heard the b-side yet??
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

UNPLAYED & MINT CONDITION (FACTORY SEALED)

Label: Double Six

Catalogue Number: DS064

Release Date: 06/08/12

Availability: in stock. dispatched within 1 working day

General Info:

'little girl' is the second single from the album 'sweet heart sweet light'. the limited 7" comes backed with an exclusive non album b-side - an exclusive instrumental version of album track 'i am what i am'. 'little girl' is a beautiful laid-back song, with some really nice orchestra touches. the verses grow to a lovely chorus where the choir joins jason pierce to an exquisite result. 'little girl' might be the closest to the 2001's somewhat underrated release, 'let it come down'.

limited to 1000 copies

Tracklisting:

1. Little Girl

2. I Am What I Am (Instrumental)

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Anyone get this?

Judging by the 2 months it took me to get 'Hey Jane', I won't be hearing that B-side for quite some time...
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Mine was posted yesterday, so should hopefully receive it in the next day or two.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

It arrived last night - haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but the packaging is more or less identical to the Hey Jane single (except for the colour scheme, obviously).
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I got it this weekend from lovemusic (avalanche) in Glasgow, £4.
Similar packaging to Hey Jane indeed, but this plays at 45rpm.
From a couple of listens (and not the most attentive ones) I don't think this is any different to the album version other than being instrumental and not mixing into Mary.

I didn't know this was limited to 1000, and it seems the B-side isn't available for download so I've imported it to MP3 (Lenco USB TT -> Audacity -> Lame 3.98)
http://dl.free.fr/nDh06qu1F
(captcha: copy the text between « », probably 'adyoulike')
password: iawia (leave user blank)

mods: as usual if that's any problem let me know and i'll take the link down.
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

I don't really understand excitement over an instrumental version of a song already released - give me a session version of a song or dare i say a new song or something different - a cover
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

helterskelter wrote:I don't really understand excitement over an instrumental version of a song already released - give me a session version of a song or dare i say a new song or something different - a cover
Agreed. I probably won't buy this one, but it is cool that there is enough interest to warrant a second single release.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I actually agree too, and I wasn't going to buy it. That is, until I saw it in the shop :D
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

I would prob do the same just for artwork etc lol
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Thanks, Flokie!
helterskelter wrote:I don't really understand excitement over an instrumental version of a song already released - give me a session version of a song or dare i say a new song or something different - a cover
Did you not like all the instrumentals in the Complete Works? Granted the instrumentals of Feel So Sad and Cool Waves are likely more different from the vocal versions than this will be, but I also like having instrumentals of Broken Heart, Going Down Slow, etc. And, I wish instrumentals of Sitting On Fire and Baby I'm Just A Fool had been released. I for one would shell out for a collection of as-yet-unreleased instrumentals!