New Trensmat 7-inches available (Gnod)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

New Trensmat 7-inches available (Gnod)

Post by TheWarmth »

Heads up ... two new 7-inches available now from Trensmat. Gnod and Hall of Whirling Knives. I grabbed both this afternoon, but haven't had a chance to really dig into them. I LOVE the fact that you get an immediate download when purchasing from them. Instant satisfaction + quality slabs of vinyl.
Minky
Known user

Re: New Trensmat 7-inches available (Gnod)

Post by Minky »

Purchased the Gnod 7" this morning. Immediate download is a lovely thing but I'd wish Trensmat would start making their mp3's at a higher bit rate than the 128 kbps you get with purchase. Anyway, listened to both tracks and it is exactly what you'd expect. I think I like 5th Dub better than the A side.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Minky wrote: Immediate download is a lovely thing but I'd wish Trensmat would start making their mp3's at a higher bit rate than the 128 kbps you get with purchase.
Agreed. The mp3's are all over the shop with each release. Sometimes 128kbps then the next release will be 192kbps and then back down to 128 again. Also with each email they send out it always says there will be a choice of mp3 or FLAC but that hasn't happened except for the Tlaotlon album.

As for the latest batch, not had a chance to listen yet.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I didn't realize the mp3s were only 128kbps. I agree that they should be higher quality. I generally go with either 256 or 320kbps.

I also agree that the Gnod track is exactly what you'd expect, but it's still pretty badass. Haven't listened to the dub track yet. IMO, Chaudelande Vol. 1 is the best thing Gnod has released. Vol. 2 is also good, but doesn't reach the same peaks as Vol. 1.
imagne
Known user

Post by imagne »

anyone wo bought these 7"s that requires a higher res digi version just mail trensmat, theyll sort you out. their contact details are on trensmat.com.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just signed up to the mailing list.... been a bit slow on the uptake with this to be honest, especially since they've released a lot of stuff from some of my current favourite artists (White Hills and Carlton Melton in particular). Just ordered the Gnod 7" which, along with the Drop Out With White Hills and the In Gnod We Trust LPs, make this a pretty Gnoddy June! 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

TheWarmth wrote:I also agree that the Gnod track is exactly what you'd expect, but it's still pretty badass.
Yeah, it is really good. I think my other post might have come across as negative but that was not my intention.

I got an email today from Trensmat and I didn't send them one at all about the bitrate upgrade. So I guess they're sending this email out to everyone who pre-ordered, top notch!

Many thanks to all who purchased the GNOD 7".

We've uploaded higher quality digital versions (320 Kbps MP3 & lossless FLAC) and would like to share these with pre-orderers
imagne
Known user

Post by imagne »

all pre-orders have been mailed with links to flac/mp3-320 versions of the digital extras & future orders will also have this option.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Has anyone else been sent/heard of the latest Trensmat release? It's another effort by Gnod and I'm particularly looking forward to hearing the exclusive live tracks mi ordered this last night. I think a couple of you have mentioned I'd have to reign in the record purchasing as baby Dylan is now on the scene, but what else is one meant to do when you're awake most of the night and the World Wide Web is at your fingertips :wink:

Anyway, here's the info about the record:-

GNOD - Presents.. Druss & Dwellings

Our pre-ordering window is now open for our next release, which is from the mighty GNOD! Its a psych-tech extravaganza - heres the doorway to enlightenment :

TR034

Its gonna be limited run one press coloured vinyl LP in a tasty sleeve. As always pre-orders will be immediately sent a link to the download package which contains the tracks on the vinyl and an exclusive 50 minute livset recorded in November 2012.

Vinyl edition will ship in Feb.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

That was the e-mail I was sent, and here's more info from the Trensmat website:-

After last darkening the Trensmat towels mere months ago with their fuzz'n'dub 7" '5th Sun', Gnod have decided to head for the heavens via a strikingly different path, the ludicrously cosmic Dwellings & Druss LP. Though this time round ditching geetars for keytars, they retain their trademark murk and keep the edges blurred.

Opener and scene-setter 'Revelation 9' shows the band are capable of admirable restraint and subtlety when their more traditional musical weapons are confiscated. Sounding like an eerily authentic early 70s German experiment, it bubbles slightly threateningly without ever actually revealing the nature of the revelation in question.

'20 Sides A Minute' sounds at first like they mistakenly sped up the bubbling of the previous track until, shock, a steady kick is introduced, followed by sharply sinister synth stabbings, scything a permanently panning path through the rusty and weather-beaten drum machine junk shop. Disco for robots left out in the rain.

The B-Side is home to the mammoth 16-minute 'Defeatism' - something of a misnomer as it certainly has the highest positive-vibe content of the EP - with it's proto-Detroit atmos/groove it's positively euphoric. It's also negatively euphoric in the more subby parts but the Gnodpod always pulls itself out of the black hole just in time. Frantic morse code messages are beamed back to the mothership, tapped out furiously across a selection of chiming synths, 303, high-end percussion and low-end wobbles, giving much of the episodic track the feel of an interminable heavily-pregnant rush, constantly teasing you with the promise of a cheesy drop that mercifully never comes.

Don't let the consistent lo-fi feel of the threesome fool ya though - as is so often not the way with lazy hazy hat-tipping to the forefathers of electronics, this spacebound 12" has it's own identity and supplies BASS in buttock-clenching quantities, particularly the analogue tremors felt halfway through the epic flipside.

Nervous nano-Gnodness for a rave new world.

Buyers also get additional extras for immediate download - digital copies of each track featured on the vinyl plus an exclusive 50 minute livset ("In Orbit") recorded in November 2012. Only the buyers of the vinyl will get the digital version of the 12" & extras, it will not be available otherwise.

Pre-orders will be immediately sent a link to the download package in 320Kbps MP3 format.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I grabbed a copy this morning. Didn't have time to plonk the mp3 version onto my iPod, but I'll do that tonight and will give it a listen.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

TheWarmth wrote:I grabbed a copy this morning. Didn't have time to plonk the mp3 version onto my iPod, but I'll do that tonight and will give it a listen.
Ditto. I'm very impressed by Trensmat. Their releases are of a consistently high quality musically and are nice artifacts. The only other boutique label that regularly impresses me so much is Great Pop Supplement....
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I LOVE the instant downloads. That is something that GPS might consider. I bought the By The Sea album, which is wonderful, but it didn't come with a download code and I haven't had time to transfer it.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Excited for the new Cloudland Canyon releases this year... don't want to hijack the thread, one's on GPS, one on Trensmat, and one on Monofonus, just thought I'd mention it for anybody else interested. For that matter, real quickly, anyone else interested in Cloudland Canyon?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hofstadter wrote:Excited for the new Cloudland Canyon releases this year... don't want to hijack the thread, one's on GPS, one on Trensmat, and one on Monofonus, just thought I'd mention it for anybody else interested. For that matter, real quickly, anyone else interested in Cloudland Canyon?
I've got one Cloudland Canyon album (Lie in Light), it's okay, just pure modern krautrock but didn't blow me away or anything. not particularly original but good for what it is.
I wonder what they are like live... do they even play much?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I listened to the first two tracks from the new Gnod Trensmat 12" and thought they were fantastic. I like the a lot more than the songs from the 5th Sun 7". Anyone expecting another brutal fuzz guitar onslaught might be disappointed, though. Think more along the lines of pulsing, hypnotic electronics. It's not what I expected from Gnod, but the major change in the approach on this release is welcome, in my opinion.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Still haven't got round to giving the 12" tracks a listen but BlackGnod arrived today, along with The Heads Inner Space..., so i've just had it on the stereo. Very impressive, Gnod and Black Bombain jamming it out on one track for 50 mins.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

TheWarmth wrote:I LOVE the instant downloads. That is something that GPS might consider.
I met the GPS chap (Dom?) at (I think) Wooden Shjips in Manchester last summer. I mentioned this very thing to him - it clearly wasn't a new idea to him, but didn't seem keen - vinyl only seemed to be the path.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Unfortunately, I can't bring my turntable on the train everyday, otherwise I'd be less concerned about getting a digital copy.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

TheWarmth wrote:Unfortunately, I can't bring my turntable on the train everyday, otherwise I'd be less concerned about getting a digital copy.
It's a good point. It's the weight of the vinyl that's the real killer.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

TheWarmth wrote:I listened to the first two tracks from the new Gnod Trensmat 12" and thought they were fantastic. I like the a lot more than the songs from the 5th Sun 7".
Yeah, I really like this. I didn't even listen to the samples before I purchased it...very happy they changed it up a bit.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

angelsighs wrote:
Hofstadter wrote:Excited for the new Cloudland Canyon releases this year... don't want to hijack the thread, one's on GPS, one on Trensmat, and one on Monofonus, just thought I'd mention it for anybody else interested. For that matter, real quickly, anyone else interested in Cloudland Canyon?
I've got one Cloudland Canyon album (Lie in Light), it's okay, just pure modern krautrock but didn't blow me away or anything. not particularly original but good for what it is.
I wonder what they are like live... do they even play much?
No idea about their live stuff... I agree about Lie in Light, I don't think it's all that amazing - mostly the same with Fin Eaves - the GPS release, Aureliua is what really got me - just much more adventurous, spacious in its synth work, less jammy (so doesn't feel like its retreading stuff you've heard a lot) - Aureliua (the song) just has this wonderful slow build - it also has this weird effect where it feels very watery and full and then all of a sudden... hollow... but not in a bad way... I just think that's a really cool song, that lackadaisacal... but not meandering... pace lets ya explore its space really nicely. Feels like taking off in a spaceship. Stupid analogies, but whatever.

The two b-sides feel almost clubby - these thick, pounding beats. Cool dynamic with the synths, makes it sound like grim, dark dance music from the future. Sounds like it could be in Mass Effect.

But its mainly the song Aureliua that alone makes me very interested for the releases this year.

Back on the topic of the newest Gnod release - these descriptions of it make me question why I have never listened to 'em before. Would this new 12" be a good place to get my toes wet? Sounds really cool.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote:I listened to the first two tracks from the new Gnod Trensmat 12" and thought they were fantastic. I like the a lot more than the songs from the 5th Sun 7". Anyone expecting another brutal fuzz guitar onslaught might be disappointed, though. Think more along the lines of pulsing, hypnotic electronics. It's not what I expected from Gnod, but the major change in the approach on this release is welcome, in my opinion.
Had a listen earlier to all 3 tunes. Would have to agree with TheWarmth, totally different direction but a very welcome one. First 2 songs are reminiscent of Factory Floor while the third is very '1994', think Locust, Scanner, AFX, hints of Seefeel and Sabres of Paradise. In fact I could easily see Weatherall dropping any of these tracks into one of his sets.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Hof: I would recommend that you check out Chaudelande Vol. 1 and then probably In Gnod We Trust. Of everything I have heard from their catalog so far, they are my favorites, which C V1 easily surpassing IGWT. This new one is really good, though. I don't think you'd be disappointed. It's just a new direction for them, certainly not representative of the sound they established on previous releases.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Definitely agree with The Warmth with regards to Chaudelande Vol 1... thats a cracker of a LP (or is it an EP? It's quite a thin line with a lot of bands in the vein of Gnod as 2 or 3 of their tracks can last the equivalent as most other bands albums). Personally I think their best body of work is the collaboration they did with White Hills, "Gnod Drop Out With White Hills". That's not just a favourite of Gnod's work but one of my favourite albums of the last few years.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Definitely agree with The Warmth with regards to Chaudelande Vol 1... thats a cracker of a LP (or is it an EP? It's quite a thin line with a lot of bands in the vein of Gnod as 2 or 3 of their tracks can last the equivalent as most other bands albums). Personally I think their best body of work is the collaboration they did with White Hills, "Gnod Drop Out With White Hills". That's not just a favourite of Gnod's work but one of my favourite albums of the last few years.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Gnod remain the band I am most keen to see live. I always seem to miss them. I hear they are very enthusiastic about playing in Leeds but nothing has come up. They are meant to take on another dimension on stage...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I forgot about Gnod Drop Out With White Hills II. That's an amazing record. Highly recommended.
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

Hof: gonna give my thumbs up to both volumes of the Chaudelande releases - they're both up there with my favourite records of last year. If you wanna try out some Gnod you can get some of their CD-R releases for free download at http://gnod.band camp.com
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Alright fersure, thanks for the tips. I will try to track down the Chaudelande releases and the stuff with White Hills - I haven't listened to 'em in quite a few months, look forward to being reminded of how much they kick ass. Those guys really do make crackin' stuff that's great to blast.

Picked up the new Cloudland Canyon release today... very much in the vein of Aureliua - 45 RPM (and milky white vinyl as opposed to GPS' 'seafoam green') though so shorter, but otherwise the same deal with the A Side being a watery, flowing synth piece and the B Side having another pounding pulsing beat. Will be listening to it more, on first listen, although very enjoyable, not something I would necessarily recommend you go out and buy right away... unless you really like 'em, maybe a little too similar to Aureliua. I like it though. Not blowing me away.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention - much to my delight, the new Cloudland Canyon 12" is mastered by mr. kember!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Not sure what to make of this new Gnod 12". It's certainly different from their other releases and, to be honest, I'm hoping this isn't the direction they're going in. The repetition is still there but, for me anyway, I prefer the louder, more drone driven tracks of their previous releases. I just can't imagine that this is a record that I'm going to rush to put on many times. Perhaps it's one for listening to on the iPod...perhaps will give it some time and try again. On the plus side, it looks very nice.
sunray wrote:Still haven't got round to giving the 12" tracks a listen but BlackGnod arrived today, along with The Heads Inner Space..., so i've just had it on the stereo. Very impressive, Gnod and Black Bombain jamming it out on one track for 50 mins.
I think this BlackGnod release sounds more up my street but, just like the recent Sonic Cathedral 7", it looks like I may have missed the boat on this. :(
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Shines, check your PM's.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

sunray wrote:Shines, check your PM's.
Cheers man :D :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Minky
Known user

Re: New Trensmat Gnod Vinyl

Post by Minky »

Dwellings & Druss came in the mail today and it's so warped it's unplayable. What a bummer!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Shoot Trensmat an email. I'm sure they'll sort it out. My copy has not arrived yet.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Dwellings and Druss getting a second run of 250 on different coloured vinyl.

Pre-orders open now: http://www.trensmat.com/tr034.html
imagne
Known user

Post by imagne »

Minky wrote:Dwellings & Druss came in the mail today and it's so warped it's unplayable. What a bummer!
did you get this sorted?
info at trensmat dot com if not
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

imagne wrote:did you get this sorted?
Yeah but unfortunately the replacement is going to be a 2nd pressing copy.
sunray
Known user

Re: New Trensmat Dwellings LP (Gnod)

Post by sunray »

Latest Trensmat release with Gnod connections: http://www.trensmat.com/tr039.html