Luna - Bewitched LP pre-order + test press

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

James T
Known user

Luna - Bewitched LP pre-order + test press

Post by James T »

http://gottagrooverecords.bandcamp.com/ ... d-on-vinyl

Interesting stuff, hope I get a test press. Surely if I pre-order I have a good chance? Not that many people will do so? I dunno.
olan
Known user

Re: Luna - Bewitched LP pre-order + test press

Post by olan »

Ordered. Thanks for letting us know about this!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Because of that, whoever gets a test press owes it to me for the cost of postage. Thanks, James.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:Because of that, whoever gets a test press owes it to me for the cost of postage. Thanks, James.
I can tell you right now, without one word of a lie, that I didn't get a test pressing when it finally arrives next month.... :shock:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

thanks for the tip on this - another order added!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, this will be cool. I thought the next vinyl reissue was going to be Penthouse.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Ordered this a few days ago, I´m still in Spain on holiday. Hot hot hot! Was here for the Euro final, fireworks and bangers after each goal...

Penthouse is being released later on in the year, not sure if Gotta Groove are doing it. Would be cool if Lunapark got the same treatment.

Can´t wait for this LP, my favourite record by one of my favourite bands.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Nice interview with Dean Wareham in the Village Voice talking about the last of these Galaxie 500 shows and a little about his new solo LP. I must say i'm looking forward to a solo record. 13 Most Beautiful was great but the other two Dean and Britta records were patchy.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/201 ... erview.php
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm looking forward to a luna reunion. No band is ever split up these days apart from Spacemen 3 and Pink Floyd.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

....and The Smiths!!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

just got this in the post, and it is a test pressing. Very nice soundtrack to my Friday afternoon, my first Luna Vinyl to make up for the disappointment of missing out on the record store day releases.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

clewsr wrote:just got this in the post, and it is a test pressing. Very nice soundtrack to my Friday afternoon, my first Luna Vinyl to make up for the disappointment of missing out on the record store day releases.
Cool, nice one! Mine has been sent and is currently on its way to Ireland. Looks like Penthouse will get a vinyl re-issue later this year.

Those RSD Luna LPs are still available for around the same price they were upon release, highly recommend the both of them.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Thanks, Broc, yes just after I posted that, I thought it was time to have another hunt for them and have managed to procure both of them. Happy Days!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Got my Bewitched today. Lovely to own on vinyl. No test pressing here.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Didn't get a test pressing with mine unfortunately. Still, sounds great doesn't it?
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Received this today, no test pressing. Looks stunning. Looking forward to playing it when I get home.

I wonder why they don't include inner sleeves/lyrics with these new issues? The CD doesn't have lyrics or a booklet but it seems like it would be a good idea. The Luna RSD LPs are the same. The Romantica CD has the has a booklet with lyrics but not the RSD vinyl release, just plain white inners for those and now Bewitched too. I realise it all affects the margins but still...

Also I wonder why they changed the running order on the Rendezvous RSD LP? I looked at the times and they're all pretty similar. Anyway thrilled to get this on vinyl. After Penthouse is re-issued later this year all that remains is a re-issue of Lunapark. It was released in a limited amount by an Austrailain outfit origianally and costs a bomb.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Arrived today and is a test pressing :D . Sadly I don't have time to listen to it as work is getting in the way :cry: .
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I got a test pressing, too. Very cool. How many of those are there? They took the info off of the website.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

What is the difference between the test pressing and the normal vinyl by the way?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

Same artwork, record label is a generic test pressing label. Also, was this supposed to be 180g? Got a test press and its definately not (maybe 120 or 150). Sounds pretty decent though.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This is pretty amazing. Supposedly there were 5 random test pressings. Most of which went to people on this message board.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

spzretent wrote:This is pretty amazing. Supposedly there were 5 random test pressings. Most of which went to people on this message board.
It was 50 test pressings to be allocated to fans, still a surprising amout of them ended up with folks from round here. Haven't gotten around to playing this yet, looking forward to it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I have a couple test pressings....my advice to those of you who received one would be to buy another copy, seal the test press up and stock it away as a collectors item. Personally, I wouldn't play it simply because it is rare.
Shinesalight wrote:What is the difference between the test pressing and the normal vinyl by the way?
Not sure if the weight of the test press follows or if it is less but a test press is used similar to an artist's proof on a silkscreen/etching/lithograph/relief print (which is the first run to test colors and print quality etc.)...it tests the sound/mix before the green light is given to press the copies that are released and sold to the public. Because of this I would think it would need to be on same weight as the final press but maybe not.

Oh, and....cool you have artwork! My Chris Robinson Brotherhood test press has no art and no labeling on the record itself. All it says is "Side A- TEST PRESS" (etc.) on a blank white label and blank white cover. I do have another test press that has cover art but again no label text.
kuniko
Known user

Post by kuniko »

test press
check check
<3 kuniko
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

FYI everyone.

http://www.capturedtracks.com/shop/upco ... p-box-set/

If you happen to catch when the pre-order goes up, let me know ASAP.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

yes looking forward to this!

in the meantime a selection of demos were released on band camp last week.
Lazerize
Known user

Post by Lazerize »

Oh man! That's beautiful. I wonder how much it will cost.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Can't wait for the box set! Saw them 3 times in Spain and have a few more here at the end of this month. Then, I fly to LA to see them in October. Their last announced show at present, but I understand there's a final run of shows in November in the works. Still annoyed I didn't get a test press of Bewitched.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

wow that is some serious gig watching. impressed!

I'm gutted to be out of the country when they play in Manchester in august
Lazerize
Known user

Post by Lazerize »

James T wrote:Can't wait for the box set! Saw them 3 times in Spain and have a few more here at the end of this month. Then, I fly to LA to see them in October. Their last announced show at present, but I understand there's a final run of shows in November in the works. Still annoyed I didn't get a test press of Bewitched.
Are they still great live? I only got to see them once on their "farewell tour" and I've never seen a better band. Black Postcards was epic. Too bad they haven't played it on this run.

Here's Black Postcards from Tell Me Do You Miss Me (I think the answer was YES WE DO!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEPOKZWRmKk

Man, Dean and Sean are one of the best guitar duos ever.

I hope Luna Live gets a vinyl reissue. I think it's their best record. I just checked it out on Discogs and it has four extra songs: California, Friendly Advice, Bobby Peru, Indian Summer.

(p.s. Luna>Galaxie 500)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

i have Luna live on wax, its damn fine
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I got Luna Live really cheap on vinyl, maybe £10 on eBay a few years back.

They are definitely incredible live, otherwise I wouldn't be doing a second run of shows. I never saw them the first time round, but there is no doubt the Spain shows make them among the best, if not the best, band I've seen live. The interplay between Sean and Dean. Incredible!
Lazerize
Known user

Post by Lazerize »

Nice, glad to hear they've still got it. I didn't really doubt them. Bands that usually lose live are ones that were initially based on angst and energy, and once they grow up and chill a bit they're not as good. Luna didn't really come from those places!

Listening to Lunapark now. I forgot how good Slash Your Tires is!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Played that last in Valencia, what a night! They've just added an extra LA date so make that another 5 shows to go...