Spirit

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

redcloud
Known user

Spirit

Post by redcloud »

Seems like every summer, like a magnet, something pulls me back to playing my Spirit albums and I always say to myself what a brilliant band they were. The perfect combination of rock, pop and jazz. Randy California was an absolute beast on guitar and Ed Cassidy is easily one of the great drummers in rock. Hard to find any fault with their first four albums (s/t, 'Family That Plays Together', 'Clear' & '12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus'). Their fifth; ('Feedback'), doesn't have Randy nor Jay Ferguson and Mark Andes thus, it loses its way a bit. But, California and Ed Cassidy got back together in '75 and the sixth Spirit LP, 'Spirit of '76' has a wonderful, organic, honest feeling spread over its two jammy LP's. This particular one has definitely grown on me over the years and I often find myself playing it late into the night.

Any other fans?
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Spirit

Post by TheWarmth »

I have Dr. Sardonicus and it's a great record. Haven't listened to it in a long time, so I'll have to bust it on. Maybe I'll transfer it if I can find the time.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

'Sardonicus' is an awesome record. Conceptually and musically it is brilliant from start to finish. Their second LP, 'The Family That Plays Together' is also superb. Also, check out 'Spirit of 76'. It's pretty easy to find in the used record bins but you wont be disappointed.

Sundazed have put out a couple LP's worth of outtakes and unreleased goodies between '67-69. They also released their shelved '68 soundtrack album for 'The Model Shop'. Most of these songs have been available but it's nice to have them compiled in one place and they definitely help complete the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM6wdxCIook
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

the model shop is a great listen. the instro tracks are undeniably Spirit. i love the solo California records that came out under the Kapt. Kopter name as well
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

love 'sardonicus'! I actually picked it up once many many years ago while browsing CDs by another band whose name begins in a very similar way... :wink: the artwork looked interesting, so i had a listen and i immediately loved it. 'life has just begun' remained one of my favourite songs for years, but now it was quite a while since i had a listen... will probably change that later today :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

D. wrote:the model shop is a great listen. the instro tracks are undeniably Spirit. i love the solo California records that came out under the Kapt. Kopter name as well
A lot of covers on 'Kapt. Kopter' but still a decent record. Have to say that I'm not a big fan of the 'Potato Land' record though. The silly storyline, sound effects and goofy conversation throughout the songs totally ruins it.

On a different note....did you know that Randy was in Hendrix's band "Jimmy James and The Blue Flames"? Jimi developed a solid friendship with Randy. Hendrix often said that both California and Billy Gibbons (Moving Sidewalks/ZZ Top) were two of his favorite rock guitarists.

Moby Grape were also not the only band to suffer from poor advice/mismanagement.....Spirit were offered to play Woodstock but their manager thought it was going to be a small festival and advised them to concentrate on a promotional tour instead. :shock:
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

redcloud wrote:A lot of covers on 'Kapt. Kopter' but still a decent record. Have to say that I'm not a big fan of the 'Potato Land' record though. The silly storyline, sound effects and goofy conversation throughout the songs totally ruins it.

i like the original potatoland album for sure. spirit always had a silly sense of humour and potatoland is over the top.
On a different note....did you know that Randy was in Hendrix's band "Jimmy James and The Blue Flames"?
i read that jimi actually gave him the nickname "california" because there was another randy in the band (randy "texas"). not sure how valid the story is though
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

redcloud wrote:Have to say that I'm not a big fan of the 'Potato Land' record though. The silly storyline, sound effects and goofy conversation throughout the songs totally ruins it.
Haven't heard any Spirit but I would be disappointed in an album called "Potato Land" that DIDN'T have those things!