Beak> : >>

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Beak> : >>

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone listen to the new Beak> album yet? I'm pretty sure it's going to be a birthday gift, so I haven't yet, but I'm really tempted to plonk down the 7 squids and grab the digital download from their bandcamp page.
beaker73
Known user

Re: Beak> : >>

Post by beaker73 »

it's streaming here, so you don't have to download just yet :wink:
http://3voor12.vpro.nl/luisterpaal/albums.html
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Thanks for the link! This sounds tremendous so far. Better than the first one, I'd say. I'm surprised there isn't more of a buzz about it around these parts.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Had a listen last week but ended up dozing off! Not a reflection on the album, more my physical state at the time. What I did hear sounded good though. A bit different to the first, couldn't say better but definitely not worse. :? :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

In response to Warmth's post in another thread: I'm still not getting into this immediately the way I did with the first album. Can't say why but it just hasn't grabbed me the same way. I'm holding off buying the 2 disc version until November when I can pick it up at their gig.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Interesting. I definitely like this better than the first album. I think the songs are more concise and catchier, for the most part. Also, the production is better. LOVE the synth tones throughout.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I wish I hadn't ignored this when it came out! I had no idea what it was, didn't even take the time to read up about it - glad the comments on here came up, as I picked up the >> LP yesterday - $35! A bit expensive, especially for something I knew pretty much nothing about... super glad I grabbed it though, it's pretty sick. For a while I was like man, a few of the tracks remind me of something, but I can't place what... oh, it totally sounds like Portishead at times (mainly when there are vocals)! And then when I was looking up some info about it of course I see... Geoff Barrow. Can't believe I just skimmed over this when it came out and that I missed the first album entirely!

But yeah super cool. Stayed up really late last night with some friends, all of us laying on the floor in silence, listening to the double LP while watching the old Star Trek movies on TV with the sound off... all night long. Also scored em with Harmonia's Musik von Harmonia later on. It was pretty awesome, especially the way your mind creates some synchronicity. Once we turned the TV off at around 4 I blew their minds with first the sp3/Sun Araw split and then Soul Kiss... it was a pretty fantastic evening, gotta say. But I digress...

This will certainly be receiving lots of heavy play (especially in settings similar to last night)!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Hofstadter wrote:But yeah super cool. Stayed up really late last night with some friends, all of us laying on the floor in silence, listening to the double LP while watching the old Star Trek movies on TV with the sound off... all night long. Also scored em with Harmonia's Musik von Harmonia later on. It was pretty awesome, especially the way your mind creates some synchronicity. Once we turned the TV off at around 4 I blew their minds with first the sp3/Sun Araw split and then Soul Kiss... it was a pretty fantastic evening, gotta say. But I digress...
Hell yes. I love the wide-eyed adolescent romance of your posts, not to be creepily condescending or anything. I dunno, the vibe reminds me of my feeling and approach 'when I was your age,' and though all these years later in the working world I have more freedom in some ways and more expendable income among with other luxuries, there's nothing like the headrush of one's teenage years through early twenties. Enjoy it, it certainly seems like you are!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have mentioned this to a few of the other moderators and longtime members that Hofstadter is my favorite new message board contributor.
He is wise well beyond his years. And his posts are fantastic as his his taste in music.
I wish i was into what he is at 18-ish.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I have to admit that I am struggling a bit more with this Beak>:>> album than the warmth or hofstadter are. It leaves me a bit cold. I will keep persevering with it though as I respect their opinions.

I agree with jadams and spzretent.....hofstadter, you are a dude. I'm glad you have ventured further than most and found not only this music but also our site. You have made a great contribution. :D
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I listened to it again and it's easily one of my favorites of the year so far. Hofstadter, really glad you are digging it. There is a bonus cd with ten extra tracks that are all great, too.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Damn guys, thanks a lot. Waking up to this this morning was really great. I don't want to understate the fact that this meant a lot to me.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It may just come naturally to you but your posts are so well written and the excitement bursts right thru the words.
They are a pleasure to read. And informative.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I listened to this the other day. Good track! Definitely a new direction with much clearer vocals. Hope they press this on a 12"
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Really good gig in Dublin last night. Good turn out too on what was an extremely wet and windy Sunday evening.

This was my second time seeing them, the previous occasion at Glastonbury a few years ago, and i've really enjoyed them both times. I think the songs come across better in a live setting, more powerful. Certainly anyone into Silver Apples, Can, Neu! etc would love this. Nice lights too, nothing spectacular but they worked. Support came from Thoughtforms, they were pretty good. I think they're the support for the whole tour.

The band were very approachable, manning the merchstall before and after the gig. Some of the merch was very pricey though; Some vinyl €40! while the 2 cd box of the latest album was €25. Luckily they were selling the bonus disc on its own for a tenner so I went for that instead plus the Fairhorns (Keyboardist/Guitarist, Matt Williams, solo project) cd.

Well worth checking out if there playing anywhere near you.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Good quality 'Live at the Boiler Room' session : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d2L4KZt47c
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Resurrecting this thread. Just saw 2 releases slated for mid July 2018.

Beak > and >>

Reissue, audiophile-quality double vinyl. Remastered for vinyl by Josh Bonati, and packaged in a heavyweight old-styile tip-on gatefold jacket, Beak> includes the original album in its entirety, as well as a vinyl-only bonus track not available on the CD or Digital formats.

Reissue, audiophile-quality double vinyl. Remastered for vinyl by Josh Bonati, and packaged in a heavyweight foil-stamped jacket, >> includes the original album in its entirety, as well as vinyl-only bonus tracks not available on the CD or Digital formats.

https://www.temporaryresidence.com/products/trr306

https://www.temporaryresidence.com/coll ... 3335894134
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Seeing them support OH SEES in September, along with Flat Worms. One helluva line up. Not seen Beak live before so really looking forward to it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

They have a new track out that's totally badass (great video, too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSqIk4RHImA