Come Down Easy

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

eggcube
New user

Come Down Easy

Post by eggcube »

Sorry if this has been linked before.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzatcfnv-H0

It's Jason performing 'Come Down Easy' with Nikki Lane, presumably during a soundcheck or something.

Enjoy!
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Come Down Easy

Post by angelsighs »

wow awesome find!! when was the last time Jason sang this?? 25yrs ago or more surely?
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Yeah, the last performance of Come Down Easy that I'm familiar with was in 1987, and they didn't tend to play it very much as far as I know.

In general, I would like to see J revisit a lot more Spacemen 3 material, and this would be one of my top picks!
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Superb! Lovely to see Jason playing a more obscure SP3 song.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yeah! Love it, nice find, cheers!

Better quality version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bgg0AnL ... ure=relmfu - looks like it was part of the gig rather than a soundcheck.

Can't remember seeing anything posted about Nikki Lane from those attending the shows on the US Tour, but she strikes me as an inspired choice as support - total country blues, just her voice and guitar, must have been an amazing contrast to the electric mayhem that followed.
Her excellently titled album Walk of Shame is on the list of albums-to-get, her single 'Gone, gone, gone' is a classic...
O P 8
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

BzaInSpace wrote:Can't remember seeing anything posted about Nikki Lane from those attending the shows on the US Tour, but she strikes me as an inspired choice as support - total country blues, just her voice and guitar, must have been an amazing contrast to the electric mayhem that followed.
Her excellently titled album Walk of Shame is on the list of albums-to-get, her single 'Gone, gone, gone' is a classic...
Yeah man, she impressed me at the Philly show. I have to give her a lot of credit for going up on stage solo with just an acoustic guitar before Spiritualized, no easy feat. She didn't take any shit either, as soon as she came out she unfortunately got the "show us your tits" comment yelled from the crowd. From what I can remember...she started her first song but you could tell she was pissed. She stopped about 10 seconds in and told the guy to fuck off and then started a totally different song but she had a really good sense of humor and in the end spun it in her favor. She even boosted a flower bouquet meant for Jason that was on stage which was pretty funny. I keep forgetting to check her record out, which I will do now.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

thanks for sharing the video- really great version of that song. she sounds a bit like holly golightly when she sings that high. i wish they'd done that when i'd seen them- that would've been incredibly memorable.
i really liked her songs when she played. when she walked out with just an acoustic guitar i was instantly terrified for her, but she was very comfortable and relaxed. some people in the front were yelling out requests the whole time and it helped her win a good chunk of the crowd over fairly easily. of course a lot of people talked too. checking out her studio output the match made a lot more sense. i probably should get ahold of her record(s). during her stage banter she said she was asked to join the tour on extremely short notice- possibly around a week or so? that completely blew my mind.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Nice clip, BUT if it wasn't for Jason keeping the vocals grounded, i think she'd murder that song on her own. Maybe i have cloth ears today, but she sounds all over the place...
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

I have her album, and i really like it a lot! I was pretty blown away by her voice at the show in DC
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I really like this video. I think she has a great voice (and I'm not usually impressed by your standard singer-songwriters)

I also think the song shows that far from being just a bunch of otherwordly space cadets, there was always an element of rootsiness and soul to Sp3/Spz.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Laz69 wrote:Nice clip, BUT if it wasn't for Jason keeping the vocals grounded, i think she'd murder that song on her own. Maybe i have cloth ears today, but she sounds all over the place...
I`m with Laz69,cool find &interesting Jason still might want to play around with this classic tune ,but this sounds ... not so good to my ears, yep its some camera footage or something but the gals voice aint doing it for me:(
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

PopeJez wrote:Superb! Lovely to see Jason playing a more obscure SP3 song.
Odd that Come Down Easy is one of their more obscure songs, but I've got 6 versions of it (if you include Fixin' To Die from the first demo) totaling over 45 minutes. Gotta love alternate takes, every one is good in a different way.
angelsighs wrote:I also think the song shows that far from being just a bunch of otherwordly space cadets, there was always an element of rootsiness and soul to Sp3/Spz.
Agreed. I've said before that I think the Spacemen's folk, blues, and country roots are often underemphasized by fans focused on the Velvets, Stooges, etc. Those took more precedence later on, but for me the Spacemen's best stuff will always be the early days, from the first demo to the Perfect Prescription, when the rootsier stuff was front and center.
Venus_in_Furs
New user

Post by Venus_in_Furs »

Some of the early Spacemen recordings-- I'm think I'm thinking of For All the Fucked Up Children-- threw me for a tailspin. Largely because I went directly from whoozy, dreamy Recurring into them (I hate to admit this, but for too long I was a dabbler). When I heard Walkin' With Jesus, 2:35 and Fixin' to Die on that particular release, I could have sworn I'd been (briefly) transported to a Louisiana bayou, beating off alligators and mud-covered hillbillies. A nice little "Deliverance" slant to the Spacemen back then. Who knew?