Neil Young & Crazy Horse : Psychedelic Pill 3xLP (October)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Neil Young & Crazy Horse : Psychedelic Pill 3xLP (October)

Post by TheWarmth »

moop
Known user

Re: Neil Young & Crazy Horse : Psychedelic Pill 3xLP (Octobe

Post by moop »

that's great news. love the track titles and descriptions. after the sort of teaser that was americana, this sounds more like what we've been waiting for. fingers crossed! i like that there's only a couple of months to wait too. i have a feeling it's gonna go well with the new dinosaur jr album. :)
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Fantastic news! Thrilled this is out so soon after Americana.

I skipped on buying anything since Chrome Dreams II but will definitely get this on vinyl. Knowing NY's vinyl prices I'm sure a triple LP is going to cost a fortune though I'm sure it'll be packaged very nicely.

While extremely eager for a new NY & Crazyhorse LP I just hope they nail this. Apart from Greendale (3/4 Crazyhorse) their last record was Broken Arrow (I think) and I found some of the songs on Side 1 of that record a bit overly long without going anywhere. Loose Change was great though.

So, thrilled about this. It's been way too long sone Neil hooked up with Crazyhorse and they pumped up the volume!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Moop ... the new Dinosaur Jr. album is absolutely excellent. I don't think you will be disappointed.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

TheWarmth wrote:Moop ... the new Dinosaur Jr. album is absolutely excellent. I don't think you will be disappointed.
awesome! :D really loved 'watch the corners'. can't wait to hear the rest..
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

This is up for pre-order on Amazon.com at $87 for the triple vinyl. I knew this was gonna cost a lot but christ almighty!

I know he uses top class pressing facilities for vinyl but I wonder does he ever think how much these cost for the 'ordinary people'? And yep of course I've ordered it. It'll do as a christmas present :D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I'm really looking forward to hearing this - it's got an awesome front cover:

According to the article below its a full series of guitar heavy jams... and "the longest studio album Neil Young's ever made" :shock:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mercur ... delic-pill
O P 8
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Broc wrote:This is up for pre-order on Amazon.com at $87 for the triple vinyl. I knew this was gonna cost a lot but christ almighty!

I know he uses top class pressing facilities for vinyl but I wonder does he ever think how much these cost for the 'ordinary people'? And yep of course I've ordered it. It'll do as a christmas present :D
Yeah, I saw that vinyl price on Amazon too...£60 odd quid is a ridiculous price to pay for an album, regardless of how long it is and what the audio quality is. Trouble is, I'm such a massive NY fan and recent vinyl convert that I'm prob going to over stretch myself and get it. And I guess he & his record company/management know that many of his fans are going to do the same thing even in this shitty economic environment. So, it is with mixed emotion that I've taken the news of this release...high expectation for a return to form with Crazy Horse, mixed with the disappointment of the sky high vinyl price :?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Like you guys....I love the look of this and I love what I have read about it. But, come on...$90!? This is outrageous. I am a total record/vinyl junkie but this price is forcing me to buy the cd. I would only pay $90 for a hard to find, rare album. There is no way I would pay that for a brand new release.

Prices like this are no different than big concerts or professional sporting events....it makes it more difficult for ordinary people and just another hobby for the rich.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Well, it's not like NY needs the money. I doubt he's the one behind the pricing. He just wants his shit out there in the highest quality possible. I will say that despite the fact that I think the album title and artwork are both atrocious, I still am looking forward to hearing it. I'll probably put the 3xLP on my Christmas list unless it gets panned across the board.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

not been too interested in Neil's newer records for a while (I think the last one I enjoyed was Living with War) but I'm well up for this new one. some really long blowouts from Crazy Horse sounds like just what the doctor ordered.
I really like the artwork (slightly less so the title)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Contiinuing with the Neil Young overpricing theme, I've just noticed via Facebook that for a MINIMUM donation to the Bridge School foundation of $1500 Neil will sign a copy of his new book for you. I know it's for charity but WTF!!??!! :shock:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Nice and jammy.

I'm with ya though. It will be the cd for me too. For $90 I can find a lot of great used LP's or even a few relatively hard to find ones.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, as much as I like this and am looking forward to the album, I just can't justify the £75 price tag for the vinyl. Especially as work had dried up at the moment and I could be looking at being off unpaid for the next month or two, with a baby due in the New Year. As much as I'm tempted, I think it would be taking the piss if I bought this. Though not taking the piss as much as whoever's idea it was releasing it at that price! :roll: :twisted:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

do you think it's due to the record industy state that they are now attempting to milk the people who buy music for all they are worth? but seriously, long term effects will be no record sales, very few cd sales and so forth. also i find things like national record day when some music is only available on record to be a bit silly. for whilst those who have record players, wish to start or just collect will be delighted, the casual fan will find that someone has ripped the track/s and has uploaded it for free et voila. although i expect many people here to disagree i cannot help thinking that records are the last lifeboat of the hms titanic record industry. when that generation who prefers/knows records is gone then what next? buy your favorite songs from the self-service petrol station pump as you fill your car? especially with the current (western) global situation, as shown in microcosom by the previous comment. anyway, i ramble...
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Plenty of records that get released these days are affordable. The new Dum Dum Girls 12" EP was $9 ... clear vinyl, download card, full color art. The new Soft Pack LP was $17. When I see single LPs priced above $20, I start to get annoyed. Also, ALL of N.Y.'s vinyl releases are crazy expensive. My understanding is that he uses a very pricey pressing plant in Japan, but don't quote me on that.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

spzretent wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8qkDQ_QP8A
If this is any indication this will be amazing!
I'm gonna have to opt for the Cd to start.
Great track! Very cool. Now I'm excited. I heard a bit of "Walk Like A Giant" and thought it was so-so, but this one is tremendous.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

NY vinyl has always been way overpriced, totally unjustifiable.

Saying that it's now at $75/€58 on amazon.com which could be a lot worse for a triple LP by Neil Young. I know he uses high quality pressing plants but whilst currently reading his autobiography/book I can't help thinking it's used to fund LincVolt, Pono (or whatever it's called) and his train sets.

I'm quite selective with which NY new releases I buy these days but with regard to vinyl Vs CD this is a no-brainer for me. Avoiding all streams/previews, can't wait.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-rago ... 68985.html
New video. Twisted Road. This album is gonna be all over the place. Which is great.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-rago ... 68985.html
New video. Twisted Road. This album is gonna be all over the place. Which is great.
Grumph. Not viewable in the UK...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ehhhh ... can't say I dig this song much. Pretty bland.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Tonight's The Night" is so much heavier than this. I suppose there are some songs on Zuma that are comparable. I only listened to this track once, so it's probably too early to judge. I really want to listen to the album as a whole. Hopefully, NPR will stream it ahead of its release so I can decide whether I want to drop the $80 on the vinyl. I really love "Ramada Inn".
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I picked up a copy but its not blowing me away. Yet. The first track is pretty cool. theres some nice lyrics about getting a hip hop haircut's in there too which made me smile. Its really loose though which is nice, It kind of swirls around you. I need to give it a few more listens before I can give any proper feedback but its not as instant for me as Le Noise was. The guy in the shop I bought it was very excited saying its like a new 'live rust'. Im not sure it is really? To me its a very loose, very jammy rock and roll record.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I like it! A couple of dud tracks but I expect that by now unfortunately. She Loves To Dance is great! Love to hear those Crazy Horse harmonies again... The first track for me does not need to be so long, Ramada Inn could be longer!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Cd is out. I bought it. Played it. Not all that impressed. even when I saw a few tracks were 20+ minutes I figured if anyone is entitled to some self indulgence its Neil Young & Crazy Horse. Its just kinda seems like its by the numbers.
I like simonkeeping's description of it being "loose and jammy" but spzretent's post above is a red flag for me not to buy the $80-90 record. Not that I would spend that much money on a new record anyway.

I'll definitely pick up the CD at some point though.