Bardo Pond

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Hofstadter
Known user

Bardo Pond

Post by Hofstadter »

Where the fuck do I start?

Lapsed and Amanita are the only albums I know the names of already, are these good places to take the dive at? It seems like they have a big discography, so your guidance is appreciated :D
Laz69
Known user

Re: Bardo Pond

Post by Laz69 »

They have a VAST discography... one of those bands that have so many side projects, split EPs, limited releases that you'll constantly find more as you pick them up.

Best place to start would probably be the Set & Setting and Crystal Tickets albums that show them at their most heavenly and fierce (at the same time too!) All the earlier albums are relatively accessible, including the two you mentioned with Bufo Alvarius, Amen 29:15 being possible the only one i don't play regularly. Not thats its not good, i typically just choose others over it. They have a great Volume series which is now up to Volume 7 i believe, which are also worth checking out too as well as all the split EPs and collaboration albums they have done too (too many to remember).

Side projects include: Prairie Dog Flesh, Hash Jar Tempo, Alesahir, Alumbrados (all of which are pretty interesting)

If you enjoy Bardo Pond, then i'd definitely check out the side projects and collaborations too.

I have a pretty large collection of their stuff including many of the side projects and split EPs that are out there, so if you fancy hearing anything drop me a pm.

Prepare to have your head rearranged! :D

p.s. you MUST see them live. They are probably one of the loudest and most powerful bands i've ever witnessed.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

What Laz said.

Amanita is probably their best album but every one has really choice moments. With a good 30 albums between their shared projects the back catalogue is bewildering to say the least, so I'd stick to the official Bardo Pond albums to start with. They have another set of albums under their 'Volume' series which are more experimental.

Live they are absolutely phenomenal for sure. Just astonishing. When the whole place is quaking and you think they've taken things as far as its possible to go they miraculously find another layer of sound to add to the already teetering mound. And then another, and maybe even a couple more after that. Easily one of the greatest live bands I have ever seen. And exceptionally nice and friendly people too - they love to talk so if you can go and have a natter. On a final observation they are all somewhat small in stature which makes the monumental noise they produce even more remarkable.
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

Again, amazing live. Saw them for the first time w/Mogwai & Broadcast opening many moons ago. One of the best shows I've witnessed. As great as Mogwai was live back then, they definately had a challenge going on after the two openers.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

'amanita' is the best place to start, i think. i had others of theirs but didn't really get it until i listened to 'amanita.'
i think the self-titled album from last year wouldn't be a bad place to start either- it's got the more accessible quality of 'amanita' paired with the stretched song lengths of their more recent stuff. 'await the star' is my favourite song of theirs and it's on there- beautiful and hard-hitting all at once and it goes on forever.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Wonderful band. Shame they rarely ever travel west. However, luckily I have seen them live a couple times in London when I lived there. Definitely agree with all who have said you must see them live. As you have family out east you may get a chance in Brooklyn or if you venture into Philly to see them. Not sure when they may, if ever, come west again.

LP's...first of all, totally agree on 'Amanita'. Superb album. "RM" always reminds me of Neil and Crazy Horse. Incredible jam. Man, I remember when my beagle was a puppy (now 13) taking him out for walks on Epsom Common and he would run away on the scent of a fox...waiting for him to return (beagles always run in circles and return to their starting point) "RM" often on my headphones. Dark, raining and me standing in the Common with just Bardo ripping it up in my ears.

But, you know...I also really like the 'Set & Setting' LP and 'Dilate' (I LOVE "Ganges"). I also love 'Lapsed' simply for "Aldrin" and "Pick My Brain". Those two tunes knock the fuck out of my skull.

One more thing...get a hold of all the various Volume series (6 or 7 are out now) they are great jam sessions that they self released on CD-R. AND....you must also get a hold of both the two Hash Jar Tempo records!!! Highly, highly recommended.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

The reason I love this forum so much is because I have experienced so much more music in the past half a year or so that I feel like I would have been totally missing out on. I feel like I have greatly expanded the list of albums and artists that I find to be totally awesome and mind blowing as a result of things like this thread. Just was struck by the desire to say THX GUYZ.

Sinking my teeth into Amanita tonight.

Or rather letting Amanita sink its teeth into me.

Now if I only had some amanita muscaria eh
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

The more and more I listen to Amanita in particular... man, fucking powerful stuff. The first three tracks are almost perfect. The past month or so I haven't been able to stop listening to this album, especially late at night. Also really digging Hash Jar Tempo's Well Oiled (and pretty much everything I've been listening to in this sphere of related artists). Listening to Dilate right now.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Few more recommendations:

Latitudes EP (Yntra)
Purposeful Availment EP
No Hashish, No Change Money, No Saki Saki CDr
Gazing At Shilla
Game Five And A Half CDr

All classic Bardo Pond...
Last edited by Laz69 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hofstadter wrote:The more and more I listen to Amanita in particular... man, fucking powerful stuff. The first three tracks are almost perfect. .
The last track on Amanita - 'RM' - is the best album track they ever did.

Have you heard their 1st Peel Session? The version of 'Amen' on that is, for me, a candidate for the greatest Bardo moment ever. Truly incredible. Rippling guitars galore. I can upload it if you need it.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Has anyone heard their new LP yet?....any good?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Best live band I've ever seen with the possible exception of My Bloody Valentine. They are mindblowingly good.

Dilate and Ticket Crystals are favourites of mine, although there's loads of their stuff I've not even heard.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Shinesalight wrote:Has anyone heard their new LP yet?....any good?
Which one is this? The Yntra one?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Laz69 wrote:
Shinesalight wrote:Has anyone heard their new LP yet?....any good?
Which one is this? The Yntra one?
Yeah, that's the one. Think it came out a couple of weeks back.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Bloody hell - I had no idea that was out. Their web site is hopeless!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, this is it here right:-

http://www.resident-music.com/productde ... t_id=22129

Looks like it came out over a month ago. And I thought you were the Bardo Pond go-to-man Runci?! :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hmmm. They are sloth-like in their replies if you contact them despite being very friendly folk. I look at their web site regularly but it's hardly ever updated! This is the first I have heard of this. But I ordered it as soon as I read it here. On vinyl - following my recent 'stop buying CDs' policy. Boy vinyl is pricey but it has to be worth it. I bought the Moon Duo album on CD and it is one of the worst packages I have ever seen. I wonder if a download card will come with this BP? I hope so!
evan:)
Known user

Post by evan:) »

runcible wrote:Have you heard their 1st Peel Session? The version of 'Amen' on that is, for me, a candidate for the greatest Bardo moment ever. Truly incredible. Rippling guitars galore. I can upload it if you need it.
listening to that now it sounds amazing ... downloaded from here ... http://thereisspaceshipsoverdeeside.blo ... 20601.html
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

No download card on the new Bardo. Damn. Very pricey at £16 too although it looks very nice with lovely marbled vinyl.

Only 3 tracks but one is 20 minutes - more of an EP for them than an LP.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:No download card on the new Bardo. Damn. Very pricey at £16 too although it looks very nice with lovely marbled vinyl.

Only 3 tracks but one is 20 minutes - more of an EP for them than an LP.
Mark, that's pretty average for an album these days I'm afraid. And yes, it is a bit of a bummer when they don't come with a download code.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

A 35 minute album? Hmmm.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

it is floating about the internet if u need a digital copy
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:A 35 minute album? Hmmm.
I agree...in comparison to previous Pond albums this is pretty short. More like an EP than an LP.

Are these new recordings or are they things that have been kicking around for a while that didn't fit on previous records?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I saw it under the label of Latitudes EP... but also titled Yntra...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Isn't Latitudes the label it's on? According to the website of my local record store there's a series of Latitude LPs and EPs by various artists all with similar sleeve designs:-

http://www.resident-music.com/search&keyword=Latitudes
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

runcible wrote:
Hofstadter wrote:The more and more I listen to Amanita in particular... man, fucking powerful stuff. The first three tracks are almost perfect. .

Have you heard their 1st Peel Session? The version of 'Amen' on that is, for me, a candidate for the greatest Bardo moment ever. Truly incredible. Rippling guitars galore. I can upload it if you need it.
I would love to hear that.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:
runcible wrote:

I would love to hear that.
I'll hook you up, man. Check your email.
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

evan:) wrote:
runcible wrote:Have you heard their 1st Peel Session? The version of 'Amen' on that is, for me, a candidate for the greatest Bardo moment ever. Truly incredible. Rippling guitars galore. I can upload it if you need it.
listening to that now it sounds amazing ... downloaded from here ... http://thereisspaceshipsoverdeeside.blo ... 20601.html
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this website, there are some brilliant mixes on the site - I got in touch with Brother James at the site and have put together the first half of his latest Spaceships on the Radio series - http://thereisspaceshipsoverdeeside.blo ... io-46.html - there's a download on the site
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Today was the first day it's really rained in LA since the spring. And it was pouring. Drove around with Bardo Pond as my score for a few hours. Beautiful. Great way to decompress after last night.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Saw the new album ('Yntra') the other day on LP. Beautiful package. VERY pricey though ($32.99). Worth it?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

redcloud wrote:Saw the new album ('Yntra') the other day on LP. Beautiful package. VERY pricey though ($32.99). Worth it?
I bought this a while back and am very impressed with it. I don't recall it being that expensive though (I think I paid £15-odd). Very nicely pressed bit of vinyl, with some phenomenally powerful drones. It has seen regular rotation here and may well make it into my list of favourite releases for the year.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

olan wrote: I bought this a while back and am very impressed with it. I don't recall it being that expensive though (I think I paid £15-odd). Very nicely pressed bit of vinyl, with some phenomenally powerful drones. It has seen regular rotation here and may well make it into my list of favourite releases for the year.
It said it was ltd. ed. and was hand numbered. The cover had a nice brown paper around half of it with white silk screen image, which looked hand printed.

They also had 'Gazing at Shilla' on LP.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

olan wrote:
redcloud wrote:Saw the new album ('Yntra') the other day on LP. Beautiful package. VERY pricey though ($32.99). Worth it?
I bought this a while back and am very impressed with it. I don't recall it being that expensive though (I think I paid £15-odd). Very nicely pressed bit of vinyl, with some phenomenally powerful drones. It has seen regular rotation here and may well make it into my list of favourite releases for the year.
it's just expensive here because it's only available as an import. w/ the currency conversion $32.99 makes sense, but is still quite a bit of money for a single lp.

redcloud, they have the white vinyl at reckless and it's a little less. i suppose with shipping it's not going to make much difference (i keep forgetting how there's no sales tax in oregon even though i used to live there), but... http://www.reckless.com/index.php?keywo ... rch=Search