Smiths to Reform?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

Smiths to Reform?

Post by toomilk »

I know this might be the 1-billionth time this has been rumored, but here it is again:

http://www.holymoly.com/music/news/smit ... nbury64478

Not sure who their "credible sources" are, but my fingers are crossed...in a weird, pathetic, super-fan-boy kind of way.
Shinesalight
Known user

Re: Smiths to Reform?

Post by Shinesalight »

Blimey, if you think how quickly the Stone Roses shows sold out when they reformed and how much money they all made then I can't even begin to imagine what a Smiths reunion would generate. Am I right in thinking that the Smiths were more successful/had a bigger following outside of the UK than the Roses? Having never seen the Smiths first time around, I'd have to say I would be rather interested in seeing them.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Blimey, if you think how quickly the Stone Roses shows sold out when they reformed and how much money they all made then I can't even begin to imagine what a Smiths reunion would generate. Am I right in thinking that the Smiths were more successful/had a bigger following outside of the UK than the Roses? Having never seen the Smiths first time around, I'd have to say I would be rather interested in seeing them.
I am pretty sure I woul break my golden rule about not seeing reformed bands in the case of The Smiths. While I was always a bit "Meh" about their records, I saw them regularly from 1983-1986. They were nearly always phenomenally good live and almost always the atmosphere was incredible. I suspect this is rumour is total crap, though.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Was a huge fan back in the day and still regularly listen to them but can't see this happen with Joyce involved. Can only see the gigs in huge venues which would turn me off. And they'd have to ban the burger vans :)
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i thought i caught wind somewhere this week, that Morrissey said they were offered an insane amount of money, so this might be true
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

marr- nice song

mcculloch- nice choice of words
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

According to the NME this is just rubbish and has been denied by Marr's manager. Of course, this probably means it will happen but as yet no Smith RIP paintings by Marr have been seen.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

An appearance at Glastonbury 2013 mentioned just a few days before Glasto tickets go on sale......Hmmm.....
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

very much doubt this is happening (mind you, I've said that before..)
I'd probably be tempted to check them out if it does. its not like their some punk band who relied on their youthful vigour and rebelliousness.

I have read somewhere that Morrissey and Marr are on cordial terms.