Luminescence

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

throb
Known user

Luminescence

Post by throb »

I dug out "Complete Works" the other night and reminded myself how much I liked this song. Can anyone tell me

(a) what instruments were used, and
(b) which effects were used on them?

Also, I remember reading a review of CW Vol 1 where it was stated that "Luminescence" and also "Effervescent (Chimes)" were "hangovers from the Spacemen 3" or something similar. Is this right?

Many thanks
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I really like them too. Not sure why they would be described as hangover from spacemen 3 though, unless you categorise them in a Ecstacy Symphony / Symphony Space lineage, which I don't think I would.

Bit of a pointless reply really as I can't really answer A or B in your post.
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

Isn't Luminescence basically a loop of some portion of "I Want You?"

It sounds like it to me, anyway. And as it was the b-side thereof, I wouldn't be surprised. I love the song too, though. And it took me years to recognize it as such.
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

I remember watching the Chart Show round a mate's house a few years ago and I noticed that next up were Spiritualized. I started banging on about how great they were blah blah blah and then this...noise...came on. We sat there for a few minutes until my mate couldn't stand it any more and turned over to Saturday Superstore or Going Live or some such crap.

I've got no idea which track it actually was, only that it was more in the vein of "Luminescence". I think I remember that the Chart Show occasionally played b-sides and EP tracks. Could have been Luminescence or Electric Mainline. Any ideas?

Any road up, it wasn't the best introduction to SPz for someone who was (and still is) a big Smiths fan, poor man.

Were Luminescence and Effervescent written when Spacemen 3 were still together?
gersey
Known user

Post by gersey »

i think either luminescence or effervescent (chimes) was the background sound to a j. spaceman song at the tail end of 'recurring'