Dirty Three UK tour

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Starfish
Known user

Dirty Three UK tour

Post by Starfish »

I love the fact that the Dirty Three are playing a comedy venue in Birmingham called The Glee Club.

There are still tickets left, apparently, for the Nov 20 performance.
→ http://www.glee.co.uk/news/music-at-gle ... -2012-.htm

I won't be going. I have been handed a late shift at work for that day. The bastards.
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Dirty Three UK tour

Post by angelsighs »

haha yeah I've been to rock shows there before, it's not a bad little venue actually

Warren's song intros almost qualify as comedy anyway :)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Dirty Three were brilliant last night.. they really never disappoint. the smallest venue I've ever seen them in and they sounded much more powerful accordingly (if maybe losing a bit of the subtleties and the epicness.. the quieter songs came across better if anything).. played a 2hr set, lots of the new album (much of which was extended and jammed out) as well as choice oldies such as Lyllabe for Christie which I've never known them to play before..

Jim White is simply an incredible drummer..

there was also a nod to the Spaceman in some of Warren's stage banter.. the stagelights were bothering him so an audience member gave him some sunglasses: "who wears these?... Bono.. Jason Pierce.. who else?"

a very well stocked merch table- I got the live album, a DVD and a CD of demos.

go and see them!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Gutted I am going to miss these tonight. My bank is saying "NO FUCKING WAY" and also there is the matter of City v Real. I can cope with that, just about.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

angelsighs wrote:Lyllabe for Christie which I've never known them to play before..
that's my favourite song of theirs. it didn't even occur to me that they might play it when i saw them. they did play 'sue's last ride' though- which was very unexpected.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

your loss James... D3 would win out over sports for me any day of the week! :)

shalloboi, Sue's Last Ride is also one of my absolute favourite tracks.
I think they do play it live fairly regularly. they certainly did it the first time I saw them a few years back.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I have been in Glasgow over 11 years now, and I don't think the D3 have played a single gig in Scotland in all this time. I have seen them live twice before, Reading Festival in '98 iirc, and at the ATP they curated in 2007.
I may have to miss the end of the Brazilian GP to get to Oran Mor on time on Sun., but really, I don't think there's any sporting event I wouldn't miss for a Dirty Three gig considering how few and far between and special they can be :)