Interview with Jason at Drowned in Sound

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Interview with Jason at Drowned in Sound

Post by angelsighs »

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4145 ... ritualized

-an American tour booked for next year, including all 50 states
-he has big problems with the 'playing albums in full' thing, won't happen again
-on the tour starting tonight he considered just playing SHSL in full and 3 brand new songs
-next album possibly to be more free-jazz influenced?
flokie
Known user

Re: Interview with Jason at Drowned in Sound

Post by flokie »

angelsighs wrote:http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4145 ... ritualized
-on the tour starting tonight he considered just playing SHSL in full and 3 brand new songs
Yes to new songs always esp. If they are 'freer' but I really hope he doesn't come back to that idea!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

50 shows with one in each state US tour next year?
I smell a road trip or two coming up! :D
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Good interview, nice to whet the appetite for the tour, and the talk of new songs is a good surprise.

Here is a similar, slightly less good interview - http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/l ... -1-5082638
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Great interview and its certainly got me even more excited about next week's shows. Can't believe it's going to be the third and forth time I've seen Spiritualized this year. Starting to wonder exactly how many times I've seen them in total. :shock:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

"festivals are the death of art" this is great, never been to a festival, never had the desire, oh, i went to the 2nd Lollapalooza in Detroit, but not really a much of a real festival i suppose, as festival go
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

burningwheel wrote:"festivals are the death of art" this is great, never been to a festival, never had the desire, oh, i went to the 2nd Lollapalooza in Detroit, but not really a much of a real festival i suppose, as festival go
I took that comment with a pinch of salt to be honest. For a man that dislikes festivals so much I find it quite strange that he's played so many of them over the years, playing some of his best ever gigs. I saw him him at Festival Number 6 in Wales last month and he seemed to be enjoying himself, as did the crowd.

As for you never going to a festival, I think they're a bigger thing over here than in the States. Glastonbury and Reading were a rights of passage for a generation. And now, with the explosion of "boutique festivals" our age group (35-45's?) can still enjoy the festival experience with or without kids and to whatever level of luxury we require. I don't think the Yanks do festivals like we do but I might be wrong.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Us Yanks dont do festivals for the most part. Coachella, Furthur, Lollapalooza and Pitchfork are the big ones. I have no desire to attend any of these. I was once offered a VIP pass to the Phoenix Festival near London and passed. I told my friend I would want to leave 5 minutes after arriving. I saved him the trouble and me the hassle.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

YESYESYES!

I have to admit, I don't really like the idea of big weekend type festivals either... but maybe that's just 'cause Coachella has tainted it a little bit... pretty much just all the kids at my school going to party and hang out in the electronic tent. Sure lots of great bands do play, but it's all just sorta lame, the short performances, the heat, the just general party vibe as opposed to music vibe... smaller festivals though/day festivals in LA are always great. The festival that I was dying to go to last year and hoping to go to this year maybe as a graduation present or something is Woodsist Fest... that's the sorta thing I think I would like. I also would absolutely love to go to Austin Psych Fest, especially based off the lineup last year... holy shit that seemed amazing. I think it's the same weekend as Coachella usually... I would love to go to that while all the fuckers at my school are off partying at Coachella :) ATP's always seem amazing too.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

He sounds really hungry to do something dangerous. THAT is exciting news.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I think the piano playing at the Sage last night was perhaps his nod to the 'freer' material referenced in the interview. The most prominent piano reminded me of John Lennon at Shea Stadium, using his elbows on a Continental - others may have a kinder take on that.
simonkeeping wrote:He sounds really hungry to do something dangerous. THAT is exciting news.
Unfortunately the new songs were nothing radical, and neither was the setlist, with the exception of Come Down Easy which was a real and welcome surprise.

The lighting bordered dangerously close to a junior school disco, circa 1987. In fact the whole production looked cheap.

Whilst the hunger to try something radical and dangerous is indeed exciting news, it seems to be coming incrementally (ie sitting on the opposite side of the stage) rather than any step change, going on last night's gig (which I nevertheless enjoyed quite a lot).
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

hipster yanks do though of course! :)
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

mojo filters wrote:Unfortunately the new songs were nothing radical, and neither was the setlist, with the exception of Come Down Easy which was a real and welcome surprise.
Did the new songs namecheck Jesus and/or obliquely deal with drug abuse?

In Come Down Easy, did he sing "1987 - all I wanna do" or did he update it to 2012? Big fan of that song, would love to hear it live.
mojo filters wrote:The lighting bordered dangerously close to a junior school disco, circa 1987. In fact the whole production looked cheap.
I kind of like the "on the cheap" Spacemen 3 aesthetic from photos of the early years. As rich and deep and psychedelia can be there's often a certain innate quality of obsessive nerds in the basement. Playing With Fire is a good sonic example of how cheap and gawky can be brilliant.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

He used the 1987 lyrics!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

50 shows in 50 states....very cool! Looking forward to Portland. Maybe I will drive up to Seattle too. But, I wonder what audiences will be like in West Virginia, Arkansas, Wyoming, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Montana etc. (oh, and what about Alaska)? :roll: It will still be fun I suppose, for Jason and company.

Festivals? I have absolutely no interest. The idea of standing in a crowd of 50,000 - 100,000+ people is not my idea of enjoyment. To be honest, even when I was younger I hated the really big shows. Music, for me, is intimate and I want to absorb the moment and the atmosphere. Standing miles away from the stage in a field or a stadium (having to watch the show on a video screen) with a gazillion other people and a roll call list of other bands doing an abridged set to meet festival timings totally loses that intimacy. Not for me.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Hawaii would be interesting. I've always fancied going there. Apparently, I recently found out that the staple diet there is ham & pineapple.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

spzretent wrote:50 shows with one in each state US tour next year?
I smell a road trip or two coming up! :D
Whats the news on this? I would have thought there would have been an announcement by now if its in Feb?
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am very happy that JP is well enough to even attempt such a welcomed 50 state tour.
No doubt there will be "Grateful Dead" like caravans for some, "seeing America" as they see Spiritualized.

There is a LOT of great music out there; but I am STILL a REAL FAN of this band and this fellow! Brilliant isn't exactly
a creative term, but it fits; a magnificent talent and definitely one of my favorite musicians.

Maybe he is tired of the "pop" sort of sound of the last LP; some freestyle, earlier noises mixed in with "favorites" would be very welcome.

I am very pleased about this; my ability to travel has been hampered; so if I can be an hour or two away; that would be wonderful. I do hope it happens.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

One down, 49 to go...
Friday 5 April 2013
Spiritualized Urban Lounge
Salt Lake City UT,
United States

According to last.fm
zaltakid2000
New user

Post by zaltakid2000 »

ny, nj and hopefully a show in philly or the eastern part of pa! hoping for at least 3 gigs this tour!