New MBV LP out before year end / EP next year

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jadams501
Known user

Re: New MBV LP out before year end / EP next year

Post by jadams501 »

I've always respected rather than loved MBV because I didn't think there was enough pop. There were great textures and soundscapes but sometimes they didn't feel integrated into realized songs the way that the Spacemen or Verve could do. This album I think reflects Shields' time with Primal Scream learning how to deliver the crowd-pleasing goods, but without diluting the MBV sound. It feels joyous and vital to me -- very happy with it.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

This is basically Loveless 2 (or close enough anuway). And that will do for me, all the textures, sounds, vocals are as one would expect from Mr Shields, dont think it justified taking quite this long, but regardless, its a belter of an album on first listen
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Might be a dumb question but can you only buy a hard copy via their website? Nowhere else?

Oddly enough I'm not gagging to hear it. At this moment in time I'm kind of wondering if I need another MBV album after Loveless and all that wait. I mean, is it worth the wait? Have I actually been 'waiting' anyway? For me they're the soundtrack to my indie youth, the late 80's and more so the early 90's. Playing Loveless whips up all kinds of memories, smells, feelings from that era and I'm happy with that, I love it. What can a new album bring? Haha, sorry, I'm having one of those 'question life, question myself, question everything' kind of days so far.

I'll no doubt buy it at somepoint and I am prone to ignoring the mad swell of hype and expectation around certain releases anyway. I'm certainly not listening to it via Youtube through laptop speakers as it'll just sound weak and naff.

I have a ticket for Hammersmith though, can't wait for that, and my MBV horn will be rising the nearer that date comes around.

In the meantime. Enjoy!
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

johnnyboy wrote:Might be a dumb question but can you only buy a hard copy via their website? Nowhere else?
eBay, if you've got £125 spare :evil:
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

I'm on second spin now.

I think it is absolutely fantastic.

One ironic thing is that some of the abrupt song endings actually suggest that thing has been chopped up and rushed ... after 22 years!

There are initially massive echoes of Loveless - certainly Only Tomorrow could come from the same sessions. But from Is This and Yes it lurches forward.

Is Bilinda cooing 'Be my lover' during "If I Am"? If so, I've witnessed less appealing propositions.

Loving the keyboards. Is This and Yes is a beautiful piece of delicate electronica. Feels like a bit of Kember in there.

The euphoric keyboards on final third of the In Another Way are making me feel fucking proper giddy. Closest thing to a latter-day Soon.

Thank You God.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

where i thought of kember was on that ascending keyboard melody on "New You".. it seems not far from Big City

edit: on another note i forgot how good MBV Arkestra is.. the excitement of this release had me dusting off some of his remixes and such leading up to this.. mogwai fear satan is a good one too
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Kurious Oranj wrote:where i thought of kember was on that ascending keyboard melody on "New You".. it seems not far from Big City

edit: on another note i forgot how good MBV Arkestra is.. the excitement of this release had me dusting off some of his remixes and such leading up to this.. mogwai fear satan is a good one too
I love that song. I think you can hear the influence of his and DG's time with Primal Scream in this new lp - like in the chugging stomp of New You. I'm on that now - can hear Big City in there YES!

Have you got the Frank & Walters remix he did - Take Me Through This Life. V nice.

On third spin of the night - really enjoying this evening.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Finally managed to get my first listen and...hmm...just another MBV record really. :wink:
It's ok but not much more than that. Standout tune is 'Nothing Is',way too short though, should've been 10mins long. I wonder how long it'll be before a remix surfaces? Could certainly see the Chemical Bros. do a nice job on it. Or some banging techno head.
I thought the editing and sequencing was quite shocking. After all this time and the album felt very bitty, more like a compilation than a proper LP.
I'll have to give it a few more listens obviously, plus give it a spin on vinyl and cd when they arrive. On one listen only it's a thumbs sideways from me.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote:Finally managed to get my first listen and...hmm...just another MBV record really. :wink:
It's ok but not much more than that. Standout tune is 'Nothing Is',way too short though, should've been 10mins long. I wonder how long it'll be before a remix surfaces? Could certainly see the Chemical Bros. do a nice job on it. Or some banging techno head.
I thought the editing and sequencing was quite shocking. After all this time and the album felt very bitty, more like a compilation than a proper LP.
I'll have to give it a few more listens obviously, plus give it a spin on vinyl and cd when they arrive. On one listen only it's a thumbs sideways from me.
I had very similar misgivings to you at first. it's definitely grown on me though.
I do agree that it seems a bit bitty, and that's definitely a weakness. where are all the segues and links that tied Loveless together?
the reason it sounds like a compilation is that it probably effectively is.. who knows at what points over the last 20 years all this material was recorded?
in no way is it a massive step forward for them, but just some more of the MBV sound (with some intriguing steps out into new directions near the end) is still pretty satisfying.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I think it's incredible. I love how it starts off with tracks that could have been on Loveless, before pulling further and further away from that as the album goes on. The final 3 tracks are absolute monsters.

I really hope they play a lot of this live on the upcoming UK tour.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

It seem that the elements of My Bloody Valentine that i love are not those they have chosen to progress with.
The snooze pop of large sections of Loveless are prominent on mbv but i love the chaos and drive of Isn't Anything and its bsides. I am also very fond of Ecstasy and Wine. I know there is some gritty noise on mbv - i can imagine Debbie rocking out on a couple of tracks, but not with the same abandon and drive present on something like Thorn.
So, they've taken a path I'm not as wholly keen on.

What about the coverage that surrounds this? I note that the idea of My Bloody Valentine as a band seems long gone. The drums on Isn't Anything are a big part of that chaos that appealed to me so much. On mbv and Loveless they don't come across as unique or inspired.
I also get irritated at the way the My Bloody Valentine story is told in terms of little being of worth before You Made Me Realise. If you don't have Ecstasy and Wine i strongly recommend it.
I look forward to hearing the new stuff live but know that in the post gig analysis I'll be disappointed that some of the old fringe banging classics will have been dropped. I really hope that When You Wake You're Still in a Dream isn't one for the chop.
Heavy Tourism
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

plastic37 wrote:It seem that the elements of My Bloody Valentine that i love are not those they have chosen to progress with.
The snooze pop of large sections of Loveless are prominent on mbv but i love the chaos and drive of Isn't Anything and its bsides. I am also very fond of Ecstasy and Wine. I know there is some gritty noise on mbv - i can imagine Debbie rocking out on a couple of tracks, but not with the same abandon and drive present on something like Thorn.
'In Another Way' is the song closest to Isn't Anything I reckon, possibly the only one here that recalls that glorious lp - all akward angular textures and relatively manic drums. I also love Ecstacy & Wine and the early Eps.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

mkb wrote:I think it's incredible. I love how it starts off with tracks that could have been on Loveless, before pulling further and further away from that as the album goes on. The final 3 tracks are absolute monsters.

I really hope they play a lot of this live on the upcoming UK tour.

I've had it on a loop since Monday. I agree with the bitty comments and the lack of Tremelo EP-like seamless segues between tracks, but BUT BUT, it's an absolute life-affirming triumphal return.

I swear New You and In Another Way have me wanting to run outside, into public places, bare chested - pumping my fists like a drunken teenager, hugging complete strangers.

Agree, I hope they hammer this live - although if they play a 10 minute version of Nothing Is I will be cowering in the bogs :lol:

I am euphoric.

God knows what effect a new Spectrum LP would have upon me.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

so far the only new song theyve reported to play live is "new you", which is kinda disappointing

hopefully that changes

"nothing is" really does feel like something thats meant to be blown up live.. as an individual track on the album it feels kind of half baked to me
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

m b v

Post by BzaInSpace »

KingHarry wrote:
mkb wrote:I think it's incredible. I love how it starts off with tracks that could have been on Loveless, before pulling further and further away from that as the album goes on. The final 3 tracks are absolute monsters...
I've had it on a loop since Monday. I agree with the bitty comments and the lack of Tremelo EP-like seamless segues between tracks, but BUT BUT, it's an absolute life-affirming triumphal return.
I swear New You and In Another Way have me wanting to run outside, into public places, bare chested - pumping my fists like a drunken teenager, hugging complete strangers.
I am euphoric...
Love some of the comment on here BTW. This is excellent stuff - compare this to the fucking Guardian article comment section the day after m b v appeared out of the shadows, and you had hundreds of frustrated 'creative' wankers bemoaning... the font on the cover. THE FONT! (Which, hilariously is exactly the same font as Loveless...)

Anyway. £16 for an all-analogue 180gm vinyl, album and a WAV d/l seemed pretty amazing to be honest. So I had to get one a birthday present to myself... despite me thinking that Loveless, other than the pretty amazing 'Only Shallow' is an album I've always admired more than enjoyed to be honest. It's good - but for me not the absolute masterpiece it's claimed to be. Isn't Anything is exactly that for me I'm afraid... :wink:

Anyway. We played the first few songs in the car minutes after d/l'ing and burning. The first track sounded pretty bad to be honest, just a washed out mess. The second tune had drums, so a bit better, but still a bit distinct. I was amazed at the non-event occurring here! Listened again a bit later (a fair bit louder and clearer through speakers) to the first 6 songs while doing... painting. It didn't quite make the perfect DIY soundtrack due to the woozy, queasy nature - parts of it almost made me feel a bit weird. But... I did notice there was layers upon layers going on - or was there? Similarly to Loveless, in which Kevin claims "had less overdubs than the White Stripes records" it sounds very complicated there is possibly very little - just lots of overtones and stuff.

A few days and several spins later and some of the songs are beginning to weave some magic & find their place. In fact moments of it have become - for me - supernaturally, obsessively good:
'Only tomorrow' has some wonderful moments of guitar build-up and release, feedback and parts where the guitar sound really jumps to really dense, heavy, distorted and saturated - it must shoot up a couple of dB at least. I like! Anybody who wants to hear the absolute definition of a 'crunchy' guitar tone should listen to this.

'Nothing is'. WTF!!! A cross between 'Electric Phase' and Alec Empire craziness! Mental. Missed this the first few listens as I never made it that far, first encountered this at loud volume driving through the howling gale and heavy rain a few nights back - a mad intense experience. It's one mental long fade in and just keeps getting louder! Fucking hell!!!! :shock:

'Wonder 2'. WOW! This is must be what Shields must have been referring to as 'the Drum 'N' Bass stuff, back in this great interview he did with the Wire mag in the late 90s - (apparently?) he recorded a couple of albums worth of dnb based stuff but scrapped them. This insane breakbeat and a pretty impressive flange. The bonkers guitar tone that kicks in a few minutes in actually rotates around the channels in time with that mental breakbeat. Then it drops away only to come back in later, but faster and louder but still synchronised within the mad BPM...
Wow. Just... wow!

A lot of the MBV Arkestra sound coming in here. The dynamics on parts of this record are very good indeed - when it gets loud it really gets loud - jumping out of the speakers with a physical presence. Modern hack compression recording has almost eliminated this kinda thing... I sorta wish though that this had come out in 1995 or something - it would have destroyed everything I think. Or at the very least been right over the cutting edge and have been a benchmark, all-time great record. Or would it?
I mean, what a bizarre record. Look at those almost throwaway, meaningless titles. And the record is like a bunch of mad demos - it just... stops. The songs don't really flow into each other. And I still can't believe it just quietly appeared - no pre-fanfare, 'leaking online', singles, pre-release teasers etc. In this day and age I greatly admire that.

And their webpage immediately crashed when it went online - hilarious!
O P 8
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Back to that idea of My Bloody Valentine at one time being a band that is now Kevin Shields...

I noted that Loveless is the first record to be credited as produced by Kevin Shields. Everything up to that point was produced by My Bloody Valentine.
And for me that must mean that it was My Bloody Valentine i fell in love with in 1989-90. Yeah, because, as i remember it, it was four people on those stages. And two of them, the rhythm section, are among the most exciting and dynamic players i've ever seen. You can't use those words to describe the grandparent couple of shoegaze stage left and right.
I love the band, not so much the studio bound genius.
I'm just making a point i don't see made elsewhere. Of course i do adore Loveless and am looking forward to giving mbv a spin on the ronnies this weekend.

Debbie rocks. In about 2000 i spoke to her after a Snowpony gig. We were talking about Ecstasy and Wine and when I mentioned the state of my ragged D90 copy - she asked if I'd like her to send me a new copy. Errr, Yes please!
Ok, would you like CD or vinyl?
Cough, splutter - i had thought she'd meant an SA90 or summat.
And a few months later i received a 12" mailer. This was well before ebay and i wasn't expecting any records. So i open it up and... Fk me! A mint copy with letter apologising for the delay.
So there you have, in the interests of balancing up the rest of the coverage a little story, my own BACK IN THE DAY anecdote that so many journos are so fond of, about a member of the band other than the hugely talented KS.
Heavy Tourism
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

"in another way"(what is it with the lowercase thing?) what a tune!!... rattling around my head for days now, love it ... if theres many more better tunes this year then it`ll be some year :D ... loving the album now I`ve got my head around it a little , really does have so many fantastic moments on it, really looking forward to seeing them now ,
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My LP turned up in the post today. Haven't had a chance to spin it yet so can't comment on sound quality yet I'm afraid. Anyone else got theirs yet?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:My LP turned up in the post today. Haven't had a chance to spin it yet so can't comment on sound quality yet I'm afraid. Anyone else got theirs yet?
Nope, and I had forgotten I had ordered it too, despite the fact the WAVs are on constant rotation (eh??) here. I did get a reminder today from Gringo Records that the LP I had bought from them was in the mail. That led to utter confusion :roll: until I worked out it was the Hookworms album. :D

One you are over the hill it appears that you pick up speed on the way down the other side.... :lol:

Sadly there is no smilie for old bastard.......
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

mbv is sounding great on vinyl. It's completely bonkers but the pressing is great. Different people mastered the cd/digital and vinyl. Drum'n'bass jets - nope, I didn't see that coming. And a proper pop song in New You. :shock:
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Has anyone seen any news on the support acts for the tour?

Specifically Manchester 10th March? It's a week away and I've not been able to see any acts listed??
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Strangely, the postie has just delivered me a second vinyl copy of the mbv album. Definitely only ordered one.

The second one has no shrink-wrap, unlike the first...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

my CD version arrived the other day. nice enough digipak but the actual artwork is slightly disappointing (can't see as much detail as the images going round net. it's fairly naff artwork though anyway in my opinion so no great loss)

I think support for all the UK dates is Le Volume Courbe (which I believe is Kevin's girlfriend's band)

hope more new material makes it into the set.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sm-iom wrote:The second one has no shrink-wrap, unlike the first...
I got just one but there was no shrink wrap. Also really flimsy thin card for a gatefold, and the CD inside is not very nicely done either. Not quite the packaging I was hoping for.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Sunray, has your vinyl copy of this arrived yet? It's driving me nuts waiting for this, especially as I've managaed not to listen to the download yet. I think it was sent out around Feb 26th...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Broc wrote:Sunray, has your vinyl copy of this arrived yet? It's driving me nuts waiting for this, especially as I've managaed not to listen to the download yet. I think it was sent out around Feb 26th...
Nope...still waiting....ho-hum....

They did say give it 14-28 days. How it takes that long to get to Ireland i'll never know :roll:
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

My copy arrived today (in Holland), but lo and behold: spine of the record sleeve cracked. Suckers shipped it in box that could easily hold 5 lp's. :roll: Wrote them an email asking for a replacement sleeve.
Anyway, can;t wait for the misses to go out tonight so I can put the record on full blast :wink:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I got mine in San Diego today. The bottom of the sleeve looks worn down because of the huge box. Vinyl is just fine though. Now if I can only find a plastic sleeve it will fit in....
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

beaker73 wrote:My copy arrived today (in Holland), but lo and behold: spine of the record sleeve cracked. Suckers shipped it in box that could easily hold 5 lp's. :roll: Wrote them an email asking for a replacement sleeve.
Anyway, can;t wait for the misses to go out tonight so I can put the record on full blast :wink:
Mine too. Bloody idiots.

Sounds fantastic though I got to say.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
sm-iom wrote:The second one has no shrink-wrap, unlike the first...
I got just one but there was no shrink wrap. Also really flimsy thin card for a gatefold, and the CD inside is not very nicely done either. Not quite the packaging I was hoping for.
Arrived today. Massive box, the record was obviously sliding about all over the place during transit. No shrinkwrap, huge split down the side seam and the seam of the inner sleeve split too. :evil: After 22 years i'd of thought they'd manage to send these out properly. Would have to agree with Runci about the packaging, quite cheap looking. Anyways, I shall be looking for a replacement sleeve and, most importantly, giving the vinyl and cd a blast over the next few days.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I got mine today, too. I'm happy to have the album on vinyl and it seems like a nice, thick record, but I totally agree that the packaging is ridiculously cheap. I think the total cost was $44 including shipping to the US. I do feel like I got ripped off a bit. I was expecting a fairly lavish sleeve for both the vinyl and cd. Kinda figured the cd might have similar packaging to the 2012 reissues.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Mine arrived yesterday and miraculously there are no splits anywhere after over two weeks in the post. Yep packaging is lame and I would have preferred a single cover with picture inlay sleeves rather than a gatefold cover with blank inlays. And they did a Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill by having the credits etc as a CD booklet rather than vinyl inlays.

Anyway played the album for the first time last night with one eye on the Barcelona - Milan game and it didn't leave a huge impression apart from 'Nothing Is' which is fantastic. Seems a continuation of the Loveless sound (apart form the latter tracks) but a few notches lower in quality. I never warm to albums straight away so I'll need a good few listens to digest this.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

apparently they are replacing damaged products and using better packaging. luckily mine arrived ok
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

burningwheel wrote:apparently they are replacing damaged products and using better packaging. luckily mine arrived ok
I can confirm the above. Received an email this morning notifying me that a replacement sleeve and inner was being sent out to me in far more secure packaging.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

my new sleeve just arrived. If the artwork wasn't so damn ugly I would put the one with the cracked spine on the wall :lol:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

A few more listens with a hard copy and....underwhelming. I hate to say it but the first 6 songs are instantly forgettable. As soon as the next track starts I honestly can't remember the tune that preceded it. The last 3 certainly make an impression but its only 'Nothing Is' that gets me excited. In fact I think i'd rather hear a 15 minute version of Nothing Is live now rather than YMMR. Even the Super Furries stopped playing 'The Man Don't Give a Fuck' for a while.

Apparently there was some new recordings added to the album in recent years but there's nothing on it that sounds post-2000 to my ears. IMHO mbv isn't as good as Loveless, Isn't Anything or the EP's. I guess the question now is, will we ever see a NEW My Bloody Valentine album?

BTW there was a review of their Hammersmith gig in yesterday's Guardian that desribed them as "one of the scourges of modern otolaryngology." I was so affronted by the pretentiousness that I haven't even bothered to look it up :lol:
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

While it isn't as consistent as the other records, I would never use the word "better" to make any comparisons. Some reviewer noted that it is more like 3 eps compiled together and I think that is a fair criticism. Calling the songs unforgettable... I cannot agree with. The melodies are more complex, the guitar tones richer (and is many cases, tones I have never heard before) and the overall production to be one of the finest recordings I can put my ears to. I haven't been able to listen to anything else but this record for six weeks because most things these days have such a digital sheen that when you hear something like M B V, well, it is really difficult to go back (errr, forward).

I'm sorry that you are disappointed but I'm really glad that I am not... very much the opposite.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

i see it as 3 eps too. what i find most interesting is that it seems to show more of kevin's creative process/progression than anything else. the first 3 seem pretty close to the loveless sound, the last 3 seem to be the more experimental stuff he talked about recording years later, and the middle 3 (my favourites) feel like the most recent inclusion (perhaps influenced by his time with the primals?)

The way the songs are put together seems to deliberately contain them in these groupings, and there's no attempts to flow from one to another, so I hear it as more of a document of what he's been up to over the last 20 years. If you spend that long working intermittently on a project, especially after something like loveless, it makes sense that it would end up going in many different directions. As i said, this isn't a criticism, but why i find the album rewarding to listen to.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

synthiA wrote: I would never use the word "better" to make any comparisons.

I didn't. I said I didn't think mbv was as good as.. Semantics I know, but still.
synthiA wrote: Calling the songs unforgettable....
I wish I could :wink:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Pitchfork has an interview with Kevin Shields, the only one he has done since `mbv` came out , a strange way to promote a new album I thought at the time , but he sort a explains that & a few other things and its a pretty good read...

http://pitchfork.com/features/interview ... n-shields/
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Skrillex? Really? This guy. Doesn't get Kraftwerk but gets that crap? Really? Is this a joke? Only interview is on Pitchfork?? REALLY?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

So what? Good on him. I have to say I find the few in-depth interviews I've read with Kevin Shields absolutely fascinating - in my opinion he talks about stuff that musicians, or those interested in music, actually want to hear. No bullshit or sob stories to promote the new record from him. This interview was no exception.

The fact he's less than impressed with Kraftwerk enamours me to the guy - at least he's totally honest. Big respect for props to Daft Punk's last record too.

Choice quote:

"A lot of people at my school could play the “Stairway to Heaven” guitar solo, but they couldn’t play three chords of a Ramones song if their life depended on it because they didn't have the strength or ability to do it. But all I did was practice that, and the style that I eventually fell into is more focused than people would actually imagine..."

Glad hearing the vinyl package sold really well. He was definitely right with the value aspect.
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Pitchfork is a piece of shit site and Skrillex is a piece of shit wanker cashing in on some teenage drum n bass obsession. I don't care of he likes or dislikes kraftwerk but just don't mention that of you're gonna come out with something so ridiculous afterwards.

In regards to daft punk, I think people should respect them for then approach they took this time round. I do think it has backfired a little though, the album wasn't so great and the promotion just left a lot of people sick to death with them. At the same time, it got the men in suits money and I'm sure that's the idea
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. :roll:
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

That's true! :twisted:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Mark it, Dude! It was an 8.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Pitchfork: Are you considering any other releases at the moment?

KS: I’m also going to re-master Loveless and Isn’t Anything and all the EPs in analog to make pure analog cuts, which has never happened before.

flog that dead horse, man! 'in 1988, all i want to do is fly...' start saving campers
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I literally don't know who/what Skrillex is.. that's a good thing I guess?

they have also posted some outtakes from the interview. Kevin also likes the Beatles and Tame Impala so we can relax now right?

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/38-kevin- ... -outtakes/
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

My Bloody Valentine frontman slams Mercury prize list

Kevin Shields says independence is 'virtually illegal' after band's self-released album is banned from Mercury nominations

Kevin Shields: 'Technically, the album doesn't exist'

Kevin Shields has accused the Mercury prize of "banning" My Bloody Valentine from consideration for the award. The band's frontman claims that mbv, their first album in 22 years, was left off the Mercury shortlist because the group bypassed corporate powers such as Apple, Amazon and record labels.

"Isn't Mercury a phone company or something, anyway? What's that got to do with music?" Shields said in an exclusive interview. "We're banned by them, and do you know why? Because we're not on Amazon or iTunes. That's one of the qualifying criteria. You have to have major distribution or be on iTunes or Amazon."

Shields may be correct. According to the terms and conditions on the Mercury website, qualifying albums will have "a digital and physical distribution deal in place in the UK". My Bloody Valentine, who self-released their album, only sold the digital version of mbv through their own website. This may not be considered a "digital distribution deal".

"We released our record, mbv, independently," Shields said. My Bloody Valentine didn't even rely on an indie label such as Domino or Alcopop! Records. "It's interesting to learn that to be as independent as we are is … virtually illegal," he said. "It's not a real record. Our album's not a real album because it's independent. The corporate-ness has got to such a point where we've essentially been told that we don't exist. So, technically, that album doesn't exist. OK? It's not allowed to exist according to the Mercury prize."

Shields also had harsh words for the industry magazine Music Week, which has "never mentioned" My Bloody Valentine since mbv's release. "Again, to them we don't exist. Ask anyone if they can find our name in that paper and they won't be able to. We stopped existing once we [self-released] this album."

Yet Shields said he has no regrets about the way the band released their third album. "I'd recommend it to anyone in our kind of position," he said. However, "just to see what happens", the group does plan to begin selling mbv through the iTunes music store.

David Bowie and Arctic Monkeys are bookies' frontrunners for the 2013 Barclaycard Mercury music prize. The shortlist, announced on Wednesday night, also includes Disclosure, Foals, Jake Bugg, James Blake, Jon Hopkins, Laura Marling, Laura Mvula, Rudimental, Savages and Villagers.

"God help" whoever wins, Shields said. Every act who has ever won the Mercury "suffered" in the aftermath. Even Primal Scream and "even M People". "Seriously," Shields advised, "there are sinister forces at work."

The winner of the award will be unveiled on 30 October.

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

My Bloody Valentine:

09-14 Portmeirion, Wales - Festival No. 6
09-30 Tokyo, Japan - International Forum Hall
11-01 St. Paul, MN - Roy Wilkins Auditorium
11-03 Chicago, IL - Aragon Ballroom
11-05 Toronto, Ontario - The Kool Haus
11-06 Montreal, Quebec - Metropolis
11-07 Boston, MA - House of Blues
11-09 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
11-11-12 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

natty
Known user

Post by natty »

angelsighs wrote:I literally don't know who/what Skrillex is.. that's a good thing I guess?

they have also posted some outtakes from the interview. Kevin also likes the Beatles and Tame Impala so we can relax now right?

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/38-kevin- ... -outtakes/
Stupid emo kid who makes grating midrange noise with no groove that people call "dubstep" even though it's got more in common with Korn or Limp Bizkit than it has with UK Garage or dub, or even the original DMZ dubstep sound. Music for drunk fratboys to mosh and touch up unwilling girls to.