New MBV LP out before year end / EP next year

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

New MBV LP out before year end / EP next year

Post by TheWarmth »

A new My Bloody Valentine record will be out this year, Kevin Shields tells NME. He said he will post the album on his website. This will be the forever in-process followup to the band's 1991 shoegaze masterpiece, Loveless.
According to NME, the upcoming album will also be followed by an EP of new recordings to be released next year. Shields said the new record "really frees us up, and in the bigger picture it's 100% necessary."

"People who like us will immediately connect with something," he said. "Based on the very, very few people who've heard stuff-- some engineers, the band, and that's about it-- some people think it's stranger than Loveless. I don't."
angelsighs
Known user

Re: New MBV LP out before year end / EP next year

Post by angelsighs »

exciting, but I'll believe it when I hold it in my cold, clammy hands!

would be more excited about live dates, in a way. I passed on the last batch. need to tick them off my list.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i feel like hes been saying this for 20 years now but that would be a great christmas present
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Gettin' to see 'em would indeed be amazing. This album will certainly going on the LIST.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i've been watching the updates as they've been rolling out on the mbv forum. there's been a source close to the band keeping people up to date there since back in july. i've spent the last four months in a state i'd call 'tempered elation.' i'll stay in this state until i have the record.
i like the idea of it being put out digitally immediately- a wise move. this is a record that i would be happy to drop a bunch of money on some kind of radiohead-style collector's box set type of deal if they're going to go the radiohead 'in rainbows' route.
i'm curious to hear what it sounds like, but it's pretty safe so say i'm probably going to love it. they really don't have any songs in their creation period that i don't like.
and yeah, it would be nice to see them again. seeing them four years ago was a highpoint in a year filled with them- i drove back from the last date of my band's tour in oakland in two days so that i could make it to their show. being obscenely sleep deprived ended up being the perfect state of mind to see them in. as if that weren't enough the next two nights were both spent seeing nick cave.
but, i'm getting away from myself- 'tempered elation.'
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

shalloboi wrote:i've been watching the updates as they've been rolling out on the mbv forum. there's been a source close to the band keeping people up to date there since back in july. i've spent the last four months in a state i'd call 'tempered elation.' i'll stay in this state until i have the record.
i like the idea of it being put out digitally immediately- a wise move. this is a record that i would be happy to drop a bunch of money on some kind of radiohead-style collector's box set type of deal if they're going to go the radiohead 'in rainbows' route.
i'm curious to hear what it sounds like, but it's pretty safe so say i'm probably going to love it. they really don't have any songs in their creation period that i don't like.
and yeah, it would be nice to see them again. seeing them four years ago was a highpoint in a year filled with them- i drove back from the last date of my band's tour in oakland in two days so that i could make it to their show. being obscenely sleep deprived ended up being the perfect state of mind to see them in. as if that weren't enough the next two nights were both spent seeing nick cave.
but, i'm getting away from myself- 'tempered elation.'
It's one of the best nights I've ever had. MBV supported by Spectrum Manchester 2008. Proper elation when they announced the support act in the weeks ahead of the event.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

incidentally, there is a Loveless tribute album being released in January by Japanese bands, including Shonen Knife.
The following has been Google Translated from http://natalie.mu/music/news/79437

Tribute album "yellow loveless" of MY BLOODY VALENTINE by domestic artists will be released on January 23, 2013.

This work is intended that various artists remix and cover along the order of songs in the original recording of the song "loveless" name board. Supervision has also designed two of Sasabuchihiroshi (吐座 sake Tokyo) and Masashi Imanishi (Lemon's Chair).

In addition to alcohol and Tokyo 吐座 Lemon's Chair, and The Sodom Project, led by zazie solo project · SADESPER RECORD NARASAKI (COALTAR OF THE DEEPERS, SFX) by, the participating artists SODOM AGE of PUNK, Boris, GOATBED, SHINOBU NARITA (4 -D Mode1), all nine sets of Shonen Knife. Note that, in this tribute album and released simultaneously, also released split single "japan shoegazer as only one" of liquor and Tokyo 吐座 Lemon's Chair.

Track VA "yellow loveless"
吐座sake Tokyo 01. Only shallow /
02. Loomer / GOATBED
03. Touched / The Sodom Project
04. Knows WHEN to here / Lemon's Chair
Shonen Knife 05. when you sleep /
吐座sake Tokyo 06. I only Said /
07. Come in alone / AGE of PUNK
08. sometime / Boris
09. blown a Wish / SHINOBU NARITA (4-D Mode1)
10. what You want / Lemon's Chair
11. Soon / SADESPER RECORD
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

more importantly Boris though :)P

you won't be able to hold it in your hands because i think it's going to be digital only at first
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

So Tyler, based on updates from the close-to-the-band source, you seem pretty confident that this is really going to happen? I mean, maybe it won't be before the end of the year, but you think the album is done and coming out soon (within the next six months, maybe)?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

shalloboi wrote:i've been watching the updates as they've been rolling out on the mbv forum. there's been a source close to the band keeping people up to date there since back in july. i've spent the last four months in a state i'd call 'tempered elation.' i'll stay in this state until i have the record.
.'
is that source 'dodle'? my housemate actually works with him, funnily enough. everything he has said so far has been pretty much valid (obviously, still doesn't mean that Kevin will follow through with this plan, but I still think this album will come out in the next few months at least)
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

TheWarmth wrote:So Tyler, based on updates from the close-to-the-band source, you seem pretty confident that this is really going to happen? I mean, maybe it won't be before the end of the year, but you think the album is done and coming out soon (within the next six months, maybe)?
i don't think it will actually show up in december, but i think it's entirely possible that it could come out within the next six months if it's just going to be put out digitally immediately. the remasters leaked right after they were finished in 2008. from what i've heard five of the nine tracks have been mixed. considering the amount of news about it and the string of shows that are being announced it makes sense.

angelsighs wrote:is that source 'dodle'? my housemate actually works with him, funnily enough. everything he has said so far has been pretty much valid (obviously, still doesn't mean that Kevin will follow through with this plan, but I still think this album will come out in the next few months at least)
it IS dodle! my favourite moment when someone expressed doubt, another poster defended the validity of his posts by saying that 'dodle' was the name of one kevin's chinchillas. surreal!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I can see it (but I can't feel it).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

shalloboi wrote:
angelsighs wrote:is that source 'dodle'? my housemate actually works with him, funnily enough. everything he has said so far has been pretty much valid (obviously, still doesn't mean that Kevin will follow through with this plan, but I still think this album will come out in the next few months at least)
it IS dodle! my favourite moment when someone expressed doubt, another poster defended the validity of his posts by saying that 'dodle' was the name of one kevin's chinchillas. surreal!
he has shown my housemate texts from Kevin and photos with him, so I can vouch for his validity! however, like I say, just because Kevin has a plan doesn't mean it will actually pan out like that, we'll see!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

angelsighs wrote:
shalloboi wrote:
he has shown my housemate texts from Kevin and photos with him, so I can vouch for his validity! however, like I say, just because Kevin has a plan doesn't mean it will actually pan out like that, we'll see!
the possibility of kevin flaking out is definitely what worries me the most. no, i believe what dodle's said- it doesn't just seem like tall tales. i really appreciate that he bothered to keep the forum members up to date leading up to the announcement. it definitely livened up the forum- it's normally very placid there due to the lack of activity.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

They should definitely do a digital release before the end of the year. I think that would be awesome. Just get the fucker out there and then do a cd/vinyl release whenever the pressing is ready.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

TheWarmth wrote:They should definitely do a digital release before the end of the year. I think that would be awesome. Just get the fucker out there and then do a cd/vinyl release whenever the pressing is ready.
I seem to remember reading that was the plan (a digi release). David Holmes was talking about it on twitter a while back.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The problem for this album is that it faces totally unrealistic expectations.
Look at it logically: It's their first album in over 20 years for a start, for me that would immediately lower my expectations no matter who the artist is. Also half the material was done in the mid-90s afaik so there's even more chance of it just being Loveless 2, although I suppose that's what most MBV fans are hoping for anyways.
I like, but don't love, the Valentines and so all i'm expecting is a slightly different version of Loveless, just as that album was a more expensive Isn't Anything. Is that enough? Probably. I just don't think anybody should be expecting anything mind blowing or revolutionary.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I don't agree that Loveless is simply a more expensive Isn't Anything. Those two records are wildly different, IMO. I actually prefer Isn't Anything, as I feel like the songs are weirder and more exciting. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing the new one. I'm not expecting it to be earth-shattering, but it will be exciting nonetheless.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

if it's now been mastered they should just get the thing out there- do a Radiohead and say "oh by the way you can download it from tomorrow".
I don't think it will be a huge departure either, just more of the same with maybe some slight diversions or developments. maybe some stuff a bit more electronic, or maybe a bit more stripped down like the Lost in Translation soundtrack? he should not worry about making the next 'big step forward' and just get some damn music out there.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i don't really have any expectations of this album. it's unexpected enough to me that they've managed to get another album completed- it seemed like it was never going to happen. i also severely doubt that kevin shields would finish something that he thought was lackluster.
mbv are my favourite band so i'm having a tough time being anything but excited about this.
angelsighs wrote: he should not worry about making the next 'big step forward' and just get some damn music out there.
i definitely agree with this too.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I've been having a little search for some of Kevin's extra curricular stuff for clues on what the next album may sound like. there's some great odds and ends out there:

Kevin backing Patti Smith on 'The Coral Sea'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN34KSuo9fs

'Outro'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWY8SoO2YQc

this is my favourite though: '2' which I think was created for a dance troupe or something:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pspVgKKaAE

this kind of churning, warped noise (sounds a bit like Glider) is something I'd love to hear more of, maybe harnessed to some interesting song structures.

I also think the MBV remix of Primal Scream's 'If They Move, Kill 'Em' is one of the best things either band has done.. it sounds evil.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i'm hoping there's some of this oceanic drifting stuff on there-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3P6cNpYrN0

and i've always thought '2' was amazing- very simple but so beautiful.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

KS remix of Frank & Walters - Take Me Through This Life also worth digging out
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

shalloboi wrote:i'm hoping there's some of this oceanic drifting stuff on there-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3P6cNpYrN0
that's very nice! similar to The Coral Sea.

they have added a Birmingham date on March 8th- I'm very happy now I waited and didn't decide to make the trip all the way up to Manchester. as it's the first date on the UK tour we may well be the first to hear new material live too...
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/la ... eek-116887
Kevin Shields has just told the crowd at an MBV warm-up show to expect a new My Bloody Valentine album in "two to three days." DAYS.
is this really happening 8)
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Kurious Oranj wrote:http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/la ... eek-116887
Kevin Shields has just told the crowd at an MBV warm-up show to expect a new My Bloody Valentine album in "two to three days." DAYS.
is this really happening 8)
it's funny cos it's (probably not) true.
i reckon it'll take him another few years just to do the liner notes :wink:
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

i was there and he definitely said 2 to 3 days but i'll believe it when i see it! Im not sure he was too comfortable about being politely asked the question by an audience member between songs early in the set..... it would be great if it's true though. But the impression i got was that he didnt actually know.

It was a storming gig, the band seemed underprepared and lots of gaps between songs and full starts. Lots of tension on stage, but it just coiled itself up into the music and unleashed itself and a times it was totally transcendental. The vocal mix was low and lots of people were complaining but i thought the overall sound was really good. And it was extremely loud, although not quite as violently so as at the conclusion of the Roundhouse gigs in 2008.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Vindaloo wrote:i was there and he definitely said 2 to 3 days but i'll believe it when i see it! Im not sure he was too comfortable about being politely asked the question by an audience member between songs early in the set..... it would be great if it's true though. But the impression i got was that he didnt actually know.

It was a storming gig, the band seemed underprepared and lots of gaps between songs and full starts. Lots of tension on stage, but it just coiled itself up into the music and unleashed itself and a times it was totally transcendental. The vocal mix was low and lots of people were complaining but i thought the overall sound was really good. And it was extremely loud, although not quite as violently so as at the conclusion of the Roundhouse gigs in 2008.
sounds great. absolutely can't wait to see them on this tour. i take it they didn't play any new stuff though?
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

only new track they did was the first one, i believe.

i seem to remember it sounded quite good, although the drummer missed the ending, which didnt impress Mr Shields.....
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Kurious Oranj wrote:"rough song"
Gone!
no longer available due to a copyright claim by Web Sheriff
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

runcible wrote:
Kurious Oranj wrote:"rough song"
Gone!
no longer available due to a copyright claim by Web Sheriff
aww!
it was good though - that's the most important thing.
i predict a late spring album release. i hope they don't tell us and it just suddenly appears.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

hmm had a listen and not really any the wiser. the sound quality is so bad, can't really make a judgement on it.
regardless, it's very good news that they have played a new song at all!
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/ ... eview.html

This is fairly good account of the gig
tommy_b
Known user

Post by tommy_b »

From Facebook page 30 mins ago:

"We are preparing to go live with the new album/website this evening. We will make an announcement as soon as its up."

Is this really happening??!!???
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Do you think that blue thing is the new album's cover?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

For those who need instant confirmation on the album's status: http://isthenewmybloodyvalentinealbumoutyet.com/
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://www.mybloodyvalentine.org/

New site up, but it's already crashed.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

wow. this is a level of frustration that i'm not entirely familiar with.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Same here :evil:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

almost
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the site's working again. the zip file's downloading right now and i successfully paid for the vinyl.
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

Ordered and downloading. Finally got through the server issues. Need to go kiss my wife and kids because I may not wake up in the morning.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

just finished listening for the first time- unsurprisingly i love it. it's incredibly varied and it rarely does what you're expecting.
the first track is beautiful and the last two twisted my brain into a pretzel!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

It's not letting me register or add the vinyl to my basket...has the vinyl sold out already?! Are there issues signing up to this via an iPad :? :twisted:
Last edited by Shinesalight on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i love it

$40 was a bit pricey for the vinyl (and cd, which i have no use for) but its a freaking new MBV album
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Got it!!!! :D :D 8) 8) :D :D

Turns out the site isn't totally iPad compatible. I had to creep downstairs in the dead of night so not to wake the baby and Mrs Shines and buy it using her laptop after spending nearly an hour desperately trying to order it via my iPad. I wonder how limited the vinyl version is going to be and whether, due to the site going live around midnight (and then crashing :roll: ) , whether our American cousins will pick up the lion share of these before a lot of MBV fans in the UK and Europe even wake up?!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

When You Sleep, ya might miss the new mbv album coming out...
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

shalloboi wrote:the first track is beautiful
The first track is really lovely. All I've heard so far but it's already one of their highlights for me.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It's pretty funny - waiting so long for a new release and then being able to download it instantly instead of waiting for the vinyl to arrive.

Only heard the first track, but I think it's good.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

What a palaver the www page is. Gave up last night in disgust. The vinyl is excellent value at £18 including the CD and hi-def download. Am looking forward to this as I will be alone in the house this morning so can give my amps a bit of welly for the authentic MBV listening experience.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Sunday morning and slightly hungover, can`t really bring myself to listen to this ,gonna wait till I`m in a better "space" to give this a proper listen ,but shit, I never thought I`d see the day, last time I bought a new MBV record Niamhm was a very different/ younger guy , this feels pretty weird...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Have listened through once. Quite liked it, and suspect that it is going to grow on me, as that tends to be the case with MBV records. Last time I bought a new MBV album I was a student. Now that I think about it it was the year I met my wife...It is our 20th in May :shock:
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

My copy is slowly downloading as I type. I didn't buy Loveless on release; I was still in primary school and MBV weren't really my thing back then :lol:
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

listening on youtube. 9-13 is a bit much for a band i'm not crazy about so try before you buy. on track 2, so far so good :)
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Anyone struggling to add their postal address on the website? Been away 22 years, and I'm hampered hearing the new stuff by a shoddy website. Maybe's it an in-joke.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

RadioShack, are you using an iPad? I had all kinds of bother trying to register and buy the record on my iPad and had to give up and use the other half's laptop.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

I had to turn off my pop-up blocker to get the purchase completed - normally i get warnings that pop-ups are blocked but that didnt happen on this occasion

no complaints about the bandwidth available for the download - i opted for 24-bit / 96khz and my DSL connection was going full-chat all the way through the download, took about 45 mins

Loving the album!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

listened to the album twice now- I like it. there are some rather bog standard MBV songs on there that are a maybe a little bit disappointing. I guess you've got to take the album on it's own terms rather than it having to overcome 20 years of expectation. just think of it as 'the 3rd album' that just happens to have come out in 2013 rather than 1993! (which from what I gather, may basically be the case)

I like the production- there's a bit more seperation between the instruments, compared to Loveless where it was all like one blob of sound.
there's even some (sort of) guitar solos!

I like Wonder 2 a lot, and the twinkly keyboard one.

the cover is naff though, and the title lazy in my opinion!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Wanna hear something weird?

The last time most of you bought a new mbv album, I wasn't even born yet...

It's weird then thinking about what different perspectives we bring to listening to this... For me, there are two mbv albums and there always have been... They just were. To me, this is the equivalent of the Beatles releasing a new album. For most of you, first there were zero albums, then one, then two, and now, after an agonizingly long wait (which is the real difference in our perspectives - two mbv albums were a fact for me, where as for you guys a third had always been a possibility), a third album at last. I'd like to say im incredibly excited and happy at hearing this (I only got to listen twice last night and it was pretty great, I also don't have the years of expectation to overcome though), but I feel like compared to you guys, this is just a great bonus for me, whereas for you the fact that there is even a third album at all is a 20+ year revelation (let alone the fact that it seems really really good, at least to me on two listens).

But yeah, it is also pretty cool to think about the fact that the music can connect us, even if we do have very different ages and very different experiences of mbv (initials for me which have had meaning for 4 years, but for you all roughly 25 years).
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Shinesalight wrote:RadioShack, are you using an iPad? I had all kinds of bother trying to register and buy the record on my iPad and had to give up and use the other half's laptop.
No, I'm using a laptop. The box where you put in your postal address seems too big for the screen, and I can't click the next or continue button at the moment.

Irritating to say the least.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Ridiculously, there's a vinyl on ebay
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ordered the vinyl / cd combo. With just, literally, 'a few seconds remaining' on the download my internet went down! :evil: :roll:

Fair play on the pricing, I thought it was very reasonable.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

the website was a bitch, very cool to order vinyl and get hirez wavs upon checkout. Which I'm listening to now. And liking the album. It's dejavu all over again :-) But seriously, I think it's a nice progression from Loveless, if it came out in 1993. Bit more poppy, could have been their breaktrough :-) But all in all, worth the wait, me thinks
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"