Thurston Moore & Michael Chapman in Birmingham

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Starfish
Known user

Thurston Moore & Michael Chapman in Birmingham

Post by Starfish »

Blimey, didn't see this advertised anywhere....

http://www.facebook.com/events/397422133674055/

Moseley Folk Festival presents: Thurston Moore and Michael Chapman
7th February 2013
at The Glee Club, Arcadian Centre, Birmingham

Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth) and Michael Chapman will be playing a full set on their own before collaborating at the end of each evening's performance.
It promises to be a rare treat for all lovers of classic, stylish and experimental guitar music and distinctly original songwriting. They may seem like an unlikely couple but both have consistently stayed true to the authenticity and creativity of radical rock n roll idealism.
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Thurston Moore & Michael Chapman in Birmingham

Post by angelsighs »

I shall be in attendance :)
yeah it doesn't seem to be promoted at all- I just happened to spot it on last.fm
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

He's doing a number of UK gigs with Michael Chapman.

Last week he did a 6 date tour of Ireland with Jonh Moloney from Sunburned Hand of The Man on drums. Caught the Dublin gig on Saturday night, enjoyed it far more than his last appearance here in December 2011 which was a more acoustic affair, even though he had a full band with him on that occasion.
This time around it was Thurston on electric guitar and vocals and Moloney on drums and that was it. Each night was different apparently, one gig could be pure improvised noise, the next night song based. What we got in Dublin was a mixture of the two: some solo material, covers and a couple of extended noise workouts that never outstayed their welcome.
Thurston was in good form, funny guy when he engages the audience. Looking forward to his hearing new band, Chelsea Light Moving, who have an album out on March 5th.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for the report sunray. I think this show will be more songbased although with Thurston involved I'm sure it won't be cookie-cutter type folk music.