Best moments of Spiritualized music?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

hopefully someone (**cough cough** BEN) can get a copy of that show. i know people had mixerd reviews about it, but i had a blast of time with great company and i got to meet the jig and vieko and stood right behind someone else on the board. what a trip it was.
Nice one, that would be very very good! What I remember of it was wicked. Candy-Cane girl got me a set list and got my ticket signed, kevin gave me a drum stick (I know, I know! fan boy!) the new songs sounded pretty good, Jason had that ace fat looking guitar sat on his chappells music stool. And as always the strobe noise fest at the end is always the stuff dreams are made of. Has to be said Doggen is a genius on the guitar. Check out 'Waking with Jesus' on the hoping foundation DVD, so much squeeling and he always sounds so loose and raw. That Tav Flaco link on this site for a reason...
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

hey natty, i have to admit that was one of the strangest moments in my life.

it went like this:

i walk into a venue in a city that i have never been to in my life, i'm spaced out sick wandering around and i hear someone calling my name, i really thought that i was losing it. i turn to see a charactor with a full beard but with these gentle familiar eyes.

alas, my boy natty with a grin from ear to ear.

what a moment it was.

xxme

p/s- that spare came from orbie's comic genius of a friend franco, who decided the celtic match was more important. bah! whatever!

Post by Guest »

a beautiful noise wrote:hey natty, i have to admit that was one of the strangest moments in my life.

it went like this:

i walk into a venue in a city that i have never been to in my life, i'm spaced out sick wandering around and i hear someone calling my name, i really thought that i was losing it. i turn to see a charactor with a full beard but with these gentle familiar eyes.

alas, my boy natty with a grin from ear to ear.

what a moment it was.

xxme

p/s- that spare came from orbie's comic genius of a friend franco, who decided the celtic match was more important. bah! whatever!
:lol: I'd forgotten about that beard :lol:
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

It's gone now. :lol:
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

i know a lot of people hate on "Never Goin' Back," but for money it's about the hardest J has ever rocked. And for lyrics apparently made up on the spot, they're very effective.
Monkeyboy

'moments'

Post by Monkeyboy »

for me its shine a light on the albert hall cd.
j stops singing, piano starts talking quietly, other instruments start playing, piano continues quietly, other instruments start shouting general discord, piano continues quietly, other instruments come round to playing variations on the piano theme, piano continues quietly, crescendo where everybody's shouting what the piano has been saying all along, then everybody just shuts up as the piano continues - quietly.
if only the rest of life were like that... :)
Taiwan Beer
Known user

Post by Taiwan Beer »

All the best moments come from when they play live. I have shared so many with Greeny (who posts here often) and countless others.

'Things Will Never Be The Same' at The Electric Ballroom, anyone?
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Yeah think I was there Mr Beer if it was the Amazing Grace tour your talking about - one heavy heavy do that was - am I right in thinking they were using some odd LCD four colour strobe lights that night or am I imagining this - never seen before or since.
Taiwan Beer
Known user

Post by Taiwan Beer »

It was that tour, and I remember a very old style light show. Pulsing, and maybe yes, only 4 colour. We went both nights, and it was so hot! (wash away all my tears...)
Mathman
Known user

Post by Mathman »

First Sunday night headline at Glastonbury. My first time, and that special atmosphere, electric blue fireworks!

My first dance when I married.
good times
Known user

Re: Best moments of Spiritualized music?

Post by good times »

1-when the huh (intro) ends and the hey jane starts. you understand that the album you started to listen will blow your mind.
2-when hey jane - when you gonna die part turns into sweet heart sweet light outro.
3-so long you pretty thing, when the chorus starts jason singin god bless your soul etc...

these are for the new album.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the middle eight on Too Late
the banjo part on So Long
the bassline on Heading For The Top

also to reiterate comments further up the thread, that final, sole saxophone note rising up on the studio Shine a Light ... one of the greatest moments of the entire Spz canon.
it is simply the sound of hairs on the back of the neck :)
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

Good thread this.

Some of my favourite Spz+ moments:

All of 'Rated x'. Amazing song.

The end of 'Into'/beginning of 'Shine a light' Albert Hall gig.

'Take your time'. (Above gig).

'Broken heart' - LAGWAFIS 3.59 in, blows me away every time.

7.00 in on 'Hey Jane' The whole song is a massive build up and the outro is something else!

2.54 in on 'Out of sight' LICD. Massive moment on one of my favourite Spz+ songs.
Hey Jayne
CalTheSpaceman+
Known user

Post by CalTheSpaceman+ »

Too many to name. But one of my favourites:

Electricity - "TURN IT ON!" (pure chaos)
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

Ahhh, I remember this!

I have to agree with good times' selections from the new album. I'd also like to add Poppy's giggling (it gets me every time, but then I am getting to that broody stage of life) and the choir's backing vocals of "Soooo looong" during the grand finale (reminds me of "so hold on" in REM's Everybody Hurts).

For Hey Jane, I do wish Jason had kept in the constant organ note that remains when the freakout ends, as played live at RAH, Edinburgh & Glasgow. Hey Jane and So Long... are both songs that should never end. They're too wonderful.

From Songs In A&E:

In Soul On Fire, the lines "I got two little arms to hold on tight" (told you I was getting broody) and "I've got a hurricane inside my veins and I want to stay forever", which I think is one of Jason's finest lyrics. In particular, the elongated "foreeeeeeeever" near the very end where he stops singing "baby, set my soul on fire" and only sings the "two little arms" and "hurricane" lines.

In Don't Hold Me Close, when the harmonies start, it brings me close to tears.

Baby I'm Just A Fool - when the quiet "do dooo" bits finish, and then the song turns into this thrilling instrumental. Everything about this coda - the drums barely being able to hold themselves back, the horns fanfaring in, the almost out of control instruments all crashing in, the flute (I think) reaching upwards each time, while the "do dooo"-ing carries on calmly, before the big chord at the end. I always hoped that Spiritualized would one day start a show with this, letting the song breakdown into a classic freakout before hitting us with something else like Shine A Light...
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i used to play 'lazer guided melodies' a lot in the morning at a coffee shop where i used to work. one time a customer got up off of the couch during a lull and 'angel sigh' was playing and he walked up just during that glorious moment where the first verse sweeps into that loud, crashing chorus and he asked me 'what band is this?' and i said, 'spiritualized' and then, as if on cue, the music went into the chorus and the guy sort of stopped and looked around and then just said, 'whoa...' and went back to the couch.
spaced
Known user

Post by spaced »

Totally agree with the please lord put a tiny little spring in my step line. Also love the electricity single b-side when shine a light kicks in and then seamlessly goes into my favourite version of electric mainline.
good times
Known user

Post by good times »

One Asian Under A Groove wrote:Ahhh, I remember this!

I have to agree with good times' selections from the new album. I'd also like to add Poppy's giggling (it gets me every time, but then I am getting to that broody stage of life) and the choir's backing vocals of "Soooo looong" during the grand finale (reminds me of "so hold on" in REM's Everybody Hurts).

For Hey Jane, I do wish Jason had kept in the constant organ note that remains when the freakout ends, as played live at RAH, Edinburgh & Glasgow. Hey Jane and So Long... are both songs that should never end. They're too wonderful.

From Songs In A&E:

In Soul On Fire, the lines "I got two little arms to hold on tight" (told you I was getting broody) and "I've got a hurricane inside my veins and I want to stay forever", which I think is one of Jason's finest lyrics. In particular, the elongated "foreeeeeeeever" near the very end where he stops singing "baby, set my soul on fire" and only sings the "two little arms" and "hurricane" lines.

In Don't Hold Me Close, when the harmonies start, it brings me close to tears.

Baby I'm Just A Fool - when the quiet "do dooo" bits finish, and then the song turns into this thrilling instrumental. Everything about this coda - the drums barely being able to hold themselves back, the horns fanfaring in, the almost out of control instruments all crashing in, the flute (I think) reaching upwards each time, while the "do dooo"-ing carries on calmly, before the big chord at the end. I always hoped that Spiritualized would one day start a show with this, letting the song breakdown into a classic freakout before hitting us with something else like Shine A Light...
One Asian Under A Groove,

i remember the time when you started this thread, i was going high school, listening LICM and AG insanely, now i'm working in a company and listening SHSL madly. time goes so fast huh?

you're definitely right with the baby i'm a fool, such a perfect outro for a beautiful song. this outro always reminds me the peel session of the feel so sad in the medication single. there was an instrumental outro which lasts for 2-3 minutes. they seem similar in a way.