Best moments of Spiritualized music?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Best moments of Spiritualized music?

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

Just been having a Spiritualized run on my iPod, having uploaded all the songs I own onto it, and listened to Going Down Slow for the first time in so long. Such an amazing song, but the bit that gets me each time is the line "Please Lord, put a tiny little spring in my step" at which point the descending strings come in and the song changes into something quite life-affirming. It got me thinking about which other moments (not songs) in the music of Spiritualized get your neck hairs standing on end?

A few of my other choices would be:

"Wise men say..." for the first time in LAGWAFIS

Let It Flow, after the mid song pause, and Jason starts singing while Kate starts cooing again

I Think I'm In Love, the first of many "slide note/piano keys/harmonica" moments (forgive the completely inarticulate nature of the descriptions I'm offering here)

Cop Shoot Cop, when in amidst all the noise, you hear a mariachi trumpet spiral upwards and then the "thunk" of the bass sounds and the choir ahh-ing as the song slowly comes back down

The Twelve Steps, with the completely out of place sirens-and-strings breakdown in the middle

Won't Get To Heaven, when the choir first comes in with "I'm hopin', prayin'..."

Smiles, when it all kicks off into the chugging riff (aaaaghhh, I hate my attempts to describe music)

Any time live when they play some noise that goes straight into Shine A Light
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

there's some good ones there ...

i read cop shoot cop and expected you to say the bit when the choir comes back in after the freak out. so, that bit, it's one of the best bits on the lp. i like the kind of ... thwippy trumpet that spirals a bit at the very end of the individual. the organ that comes in after half a minute of broken heart, the organ that comes in when cop shoot cop fades out and comes back in again, and the organ on i didn't mean to hurt you. on the electricity single there's bit of tiny bit of guitar, in between two lines, on something like two minutes fifteen or two thirty through all of my tears, a really lilting tender sound. the bit with the insanely loud noise that pulses through if i were with her now, and the bit where jason's voice comes in. the guitarry 'waow-waww's that punctuates the end bit of medication, live and otherwise. all of take good care of it on fucked up inside. the backing string ... flourish and then the female vocal that replaces it on the ballad of richie lee. going down slow doesn't get any good bits out of principle because it should go on for ages, and it doesn't. the bit in cool waves with 'don't think you're crying but there's teardrops in your eyes'. the wooo!s on come together, out of sight, electricity etc. the beginning nyeowwwwww of electric mainline part one, and the bit where the strings and guitars meet on born never asked.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

when jase first says "i need a little dope to take the pain away' on lagwafis.

the beginning of 'the ballad of ritchie lee' the keys are so warm. mmmm

the guitar lead at the end of 'lay it down slow'

the bit on 'cool water' when jase's voice first comes in by itself, about a minute or so in.

about halfway thru 'all of my thoughts' you get the lone trumpet blast then BOOM the freakout starts. i luv that.

the entire intro to 'lay back in the sun' the zylophone(?) the keys, the horns, the doo-doo vocals, ahh man its the best!

well i'll stop, great thread, thanks!

xxxshonnxxx

ok, one more on 'spread your wings' when jase first sings, his voice sounds awesome, my absolute favourite moment on lazer guided melodies.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

'spread your wings' when jase first sings, his voice sounds awesome, my absolute favourite moment on lazer guided melodies.
"i need a little dope to take the pain away'
'cool water'
is he joking? is he serious? who knows.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

The 5:07 mark of Shine a Light from the CN Tower show in Toronto.
I've always been partial to the studio version of this song, but this one inparticular is absolutely ridiculous.
Jason takes his guitar to a new level on this one.
a beautiful noise
Known user

o.k. northern boy, your my bitch now!!

xxxshonnxxx
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That spring to mind:

The Glastonbury Take Good Care Of It: when the 2 guitars combine towards the end into classic Spacemen drone.

Shine A Light on LGM: the moment during the chaotic cresecendo as the saxaphone beams out of the carnage - a light shining personified.

The opening seconds of LGM: the look my brother, big knob at Chrysalis publishing, gave me as he said 'this is really GOOD'.

Not on record. Me bursting out laughing at Jason's wah-wah histrionics at Jongleurs Pure Phase 'private' show during 'These Blues' - what emotion did I have left after smiling so comprehensively throughout?

Many more, but those send tingles down my spine even now, and the most recent was over a decade ago.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Completely agree with runcible - you almost hold your breath waiting for the sax at the end of shine a light.

The freak out at the end of These Blues is pretty special too.
ash
Known user

Re: Best moments of Spiritualized music?

Post by ash »

One Asian Under A Groove wrote:Won't Get To Heaven, when the choir first comes in with "I'm hopin', prayin'..."
I'll echo that one, I got a shiver down my spine just thinking about it.

And add:

- when the flute starts up at the 30 second mark of The Slide Song, and you know you're about to hear the most beautiful piece of music ever recorded
- Take Your Time live @ RAH: "you know I've been saying this for too many days" the last time around when he kicks up the octave
- when Born Never Asked becomes Electric Mainline

Oh, and some sympathy from the mother country for this poor soul out in the colonies whose iPod died on the weekend...
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Have to agree with oneasian and runcible about Shine A Light. It's a great song anyway, but as a moment... I've got about 5 or 6 live versions of it (I'm sure many of you have more) and they're all slightly different, but on every occasion, it delivers a sublime spine-tingling moment when it kicks in at the beginning.

Incidentally, does anyone else have any problems trying to upload/download (whatever you call it) Lazer Guided Melodies? Does it have a special "you can't copy this, sonny" chip in it?
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

great thread!

''...put a tiny little spring in my step'' from 'going down slow' - definitely!

the 5:56 point in 'sway', that really faint, high flutey part, the way it merges in with the rest of the melodies, just after ''...take it away and let me bleed in peace'' - wish it was longer, but then, that's part of the beauty

yeah, the second half of 'let it flow' is gorgeous, ''...all i wanted was a taste, enough to waste a day, just enough to make me sick..'' *exhales with pursed lips, shaking head*

'take your time (live)' from 'electricity' single - same point in the song that ash mentioned - amazing. first time i heard ''..you know i've been thinkin' 'bout not comin' down...'' just cut me to the bone.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

[quote="Let It Flow, after the mid song pause, and Jason starts singing while Kate starts cooing again

[/quote]

Does he mean that she sings on Let It Flow? I never realised.

My favourites?

The drums before the "Don't Cry Baby.." bit of Anything More.

The two notes that hang at the end of All of My Tears.

The backing vocal ad-libs at the end of All of My Thoughts.

The piano and brass notes in Shine A Light (Live) when the guitars have died out after the freakout.

The backing vocals of "Anyway..." "(Anyway at) All"

There's millions more, but describing them almost feels like you're taking the magic away.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

radioshack wrote:[quote="Let It Flow, after the mid song pause, and Jason starts singing while Kate starts cooing again

[/quote]

Kate doesn't sing on Let It Flow - her vocal skills are on par with hey keyboard talents, i.e. non-existent.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

anorthernsoul wrote:going down slow doesn't get any good bits out of principle because it should go on for ages, and it doesn't.
i'm thinking exactly the same. it's a fine song, but obviously should be atleast 6 minutes long. when i have a real urge to have that song close to me, then i put it in the "repeat" mode. i have done it when i was really drunk and it's smashing.

same story with Feel Like Goin' Home. it washes away so sadly... but the feeling it has is very warm.

i love Sway. the flute part right in the start is very weird, there it sounds like a song of Future Sound of London. and when J starts to sing, the effects on vocals are something really unexpected. someone might say that that effect is too powerful and only a "indie band" can waste a good song because of snobbery in the effects.

i totally prefer I Want You instead of Run.

i adore the Smiles version on the Peel Session of b-side of the Medication seven inch. Smiles recorded for the MTV session in 1992 is even more powerful. again - total smash-up.

i like Take Your Time. concerts after the RAH release have made it even more delightful. just when J starts to sing and i go ..... mmmmmngrngr.
never liked the lines "I'm blind, but not as blind as you".
in Hultsfred 2003 i was droping acid and those lines really came uneasy.
so i asked J about it before RFH gig and he sayed simply "What ever you want, friend", gosh, i should have expect that :oops:

last 3 songs on the Fucked Up Inside are obligatory when you smoke some of the green power. it makes you lazy, but you can feel the rainbow flying inside you.

i love the version of Good Times on the "Lay back in the sun" EP. real dope twister, it's mental - the choir, the horns, all in a good concord.

Cool Waves is top quality. amazing production and the vibe in it is awesome.

damn, so so many good bits - Medication, Let it flow, Won't Get To Heaven (The State I'm In), Lord Let It Rain On Me. all are in a good form and it's needless to say, thats why i admire this band! spacerock. nice one.

ain't it curious that many have stated here also that they love the "second" parts of the song - part when the band comes out of the silence and starts rocking again, but then with much more energy.
a beautiful noise
Known user

alright! this is the way it should be around here. thanks to ONE ASIAN for uniting the board. good job!!

thanks again

xxxshonnxxx
ericdbn
Known user

Post by ericdbn »

The entire "Lay Back In The Sun" track off the Electric Mainline EP makes the hair stand on the back of my hairy neck.

I agree with Going Down Slow's "tiny little spring" moment. Amazing.

Also, the entire Fucked Up Inside CD is intense as hell.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

runcible wrote:
radioshack wrote:[quote="Let It Flow, after the mid song pause, and Jason starts singing while Kate starts cooing again
Kate doesn't sing on Let It Flow - her vocal skills are on par with hey keyboard talents, i.e. non-existent.[/quote]

So, did Spaceman always tell her what to play note for note? Did she play keyboards before Spiritualized, or learn for the purpose of joining the band?

She also plays on the Richard Ashcroft albums, but even I can play G and C on a keyboard so it can't have been too challenging.

The cool "Spring in my step" thing is also done in Anything More when he sings "But the rain just came right through" and the stormy, pouring-rain sounding horns come in.
slowlife
Known user

Post by slowlife »

the start of ladies and gents where j sings all I want in life is a little bit of love to take the pain away.
At the fibbers show he sang those words in the outro of anything more it was alllllllllllrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttt.
something ill always remember.

SLOWLIFE AKA LOWLIFE
botox
Known user

Post by botox »

slowlife wrote:the start of ladies and gents where j sings all I want in life is a little bit of love to take the pain away.

SLOWLIFE AKA LOWLIFE
The original version of that song features black people (I guess fuckups like you, Slowlife, would call these people 'niggers') doing the backing vocals. Quite beautifully too I should say.

I thought that kind of thing was against your principals, slow/low/doh-life...
a beautiful noise
Known user

whoa!!!!!!!

its getting a bet deep round here. i don't like reading comments like that botox. its totally uncalled for no matter what slowlife might have said. your comment was way outta line.

xxxshonnxxx
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Shonn, i don't think that Botox was outta line considering the shit that 'Lowlife' was saying. Just because an Asian posted something about SPZ, he got all over that shit that Chinese food gave him 'man boobs' and other derogatory comments that was totally uncalled for. :oops:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

damn! off come the gloves!
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

right right, ain't this band something or what!!??
i was very inspired last night about this thread, so i listened again to "Sway". and i still found some guitar parts beneath that sonic wall of soundguts. amazing!
but that flute kicks in after the first chorus. and thats like drifting into twilight zone.

i remember when this summer i listened again to "Step into the breeze" and i still found some guitar licks that i never noticed before. fantastic feeling.

must say that i really really enjoy "Why don't you smile now". vocals are produced very well and the bass rolls very smoothly. just perfect. tiny percussions here and there, that song really hungs together for me.
just an opinion.
tobnac
Known user

Post by tobnac »

At the very start of You Know It’s True where the bass comes in and you realise that the guitar you’ve been listening to is actually syncopated – now that’s class
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

''...you can feel the rainbow flying inside you''

''alright! this is the way it should be around here. thanks to ONE ASIAN for uniting the board. good job!! ''

right on.
:D
botox
Known user

Post by botox »

a beautiful noise wrote:whoa!!!!!!!

its getting a bet deep round here. i don't like reading comments like that botox. its totally uncalled for no matter what slowlife might have said. your comment was way outta line.

xxxshonnxxx
Why out of line? An idiot (Slowlife) throws the race card in. I object very, VERY strongly to that. Slowlife is a marked man from now on and I'll be suspicious of every word he says. Remember that twat Guerrilla? I didn't post stuff then but I remember as soon as he reappeared everyone launched into him because they remembered how completely pathetic and offensive he was. Slowlife is the same - a prejudiced, stupid idiot. Sexism, racism, homophobism.. any kind of prejudice should be treated with scorn. His original post will be remembered by many. Personally I think people like that have no place here, or indeed anywhere.
spliffboy
Known user

Post by spliffboy »

I love when the choir and gituars hit their peak, especially the third peak - when the choir hit their highest note, during Lord can you hear me

Let it flow, as so many of you have mentioned, is another real favourite

Stay with me - the spirallly gituars that kick in towards the end of the song.

Shine a light - once it starts to get loud....mmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Come Together - when the gospel choir are siging and clapping with virtually no music
- when jason sings ......'but when he's offered, just says YEEESSSSSS'
- the opening riffs when you hear it live
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

a beautiful noise - you seemed to be more offended by botox's dry insult to slowlife than to the original attitude (where the twat was pretty rude to you directly). I don't like the use of the 'n' word but when its used to point out directly the sheer ignorance and unsavoury attitude of such a creature as lowlife, and not used to reflect the writer's own opinion I think its not only acceptable but focuses attention as to the deeply offensive nature of the original poster. If you see what I mean...
a beautiful noise
Known user

sorry i don't subscribe to the logic of fighting ignorance with ignorance.

besides, botox is making an assumption. i'm not defending slowlifes ignorant comments in anyway, shape or form.

i personally don't want to spend my time reading racial slurs and comments. this is not place nor is there any place for it.

lets get back to the business at hand, how brilliant spiritualized are.

xxxshonnxxx
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Erm... this threads gone weird.

Pure Phase - G (784Hz @45rpm) anyone?
a beautiful noise
Known user

cheater!

xxxshonnxxx
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Jig:
Either you are very much the world traveller or you download shitloads of cool live stuff. That 1997 St Andrews show is the only one I have ever missed in Detroit. I was responsible for the bootleg that came out though. Someone gave me lots of second generation board tapes from that tour. I hooked him up w/Jason and they let him tape. They really dont care like the Dead in a way. Which is pretty cool.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

p/s.......And all of ''Spread Your Wings.'' I can't wait to hear it played Live in the next 6 - 12 months.[/quote]
does somebody know what they're playing soon? are they playing at all this year??? and if spread your wings is on the list........forgetaboutit :D
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Why Don't You Smile Now?

sequined dress / high heel shoes / but baby all you got was blues
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Yeah, just my kind a blues.
The holy trinity + 1 would still be "Slide Song", "Spread Your Wings", "Sway", "Let it flow". those are the landmarkes of Spiritualized in my territory.
i hope it keeps everybody happy. be awake.
perhaps i have sayed it before, but for some reason i like very strongly Sonic Boom's first solo "Spectrum". some outtakes from that album to include with some outtakes of "Playing with Fire" and those 4 mentioned above and i will have a perfect soundtrack to take with me to the trip to Mars. return tickets are reserved for a Merzbow soundtrack. (like an anthem to returning to the hell).
slowlife
Known user

Post by slowlife »

botox wrote:
slowlife wrote:the start of ladies and gents where j sings all I want in life is a little bit of love to take the pain away.

SLOWLIFE AKA LOWLIFE
The original version of that song features black people (I guess fuckups like you, Slowlife, would call these people 'niggers') doing the backing vocals. Quite beautifully too I should say.

I thought that kind of thing was against your principals, slow/low/doh-life...
YOU SAD BASTARD U SHOULD GET OFF YOUR COMPUTER AND GET OUT MORE IM NOT RACIST U FUCK. I WAS ONLY PLAYING, NO OFFENCE MENT TO ANYBODY FROM ANY COUNTRY WHATEVER RACE COLOUR OR RELIGION I DONT EVEN CARE IF YOU TAKE IT UP THE BROWN STAR(LIKE THIS NOBSUCKER)..
botox
Known user

Post by botox »

Too late. You blew it when you said that rubbish in the first place.

And do I detect a touch of homophobia lurking?

You're really something, you know that? Dork.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

You just don't get it 'Lowlife' do you ? Stop fucking using capital letters, your nobody special. I can tell your a fucking immature cunt. 'Im just kidding around and having fun' is your only excuse? Was it cool or funny making those racist jokes or saying that shonn has a nice pussy ? Go to a bar/pub and say the "n" word or make derogatory and racist comments to other people and i'm sure they'll fucking smash your face w/ a pint glass ( i would ) ! Think you can get away w/ it just because your on the computer. Obviously, your not well liked and why don't you fuck off from this site. From your musical selection, your better off joining the Smashing Pumpkins website or like I mentioned before Boyzone.com, they are always looking for a few good cunts like yourself ...
a beautiful noise
Known user

now that is they way to tell somebody off! nice one rich.

don't know about the pint cup to the face tho, no violence for me thanks.

slowlife, is young and immature, and probably bulletproof (or so he thinks). no matter what we say to or threaten him with, it only makes him stronger. best left to avoiding. he's like a rash, scratch it and it spreads.

xxxshonnxxx
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

a beautiful noise wrote:
slowlife, is young and immature, and probably bulletproof (or so he thinks). no matter what we say to or threaten him with, it only makes him stronger

xxxshonnxxx
kind of like a cockroach.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

lol. looks like I missed an enertaining week. :twisted:

Was on a plane last night listening to LGM on some naughtily expensive headphones. I want to echo what Veiko said earlier, theres just so much going on in the sound of that album when you get to hear all the detail. Nealy every one has a perfect spiritualized moment for me.

Best moment last night was the 100th bar of 200 bars, at the climax of the 100 bar build up just as it seagues into the full blissfull song. Made the hair on the back of my hair stand on end.
Sfunk
New user

Post by Sfunk »

The 3 final chords of "Stop Your Crying" (as loud as possible)
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Totally agree with 'take your time' live, from the electricity single

Rocket usa (with suicide)

Lord, can you hear me?

shine a light (in any different existing form)

Lay it down slow

It's hopeless, in fact I can go on and on and on
"Thank you"
larry1967
New user

Post by larry1967 »

Too many to mention. But I ould love a cover of Railroad by the Zutons
Soul Kiss
Known user

Post by Soul Kiss »

Step into the breeze does it for me, simply perfection. Especially the version on LGM. But that's just a drop in the sea considering all the great music Jason's done. When I think of it, I absolutely adore Rock n' roll, and it's only a b-side. The part where the strings rise and he sings "I love the way that you're mine." Swoon.
disorder
Known user

Post by disorder »

some off the top of my head...

-the slide song
-spread your wings
-lagwafis album version and live version from glastonbury '98
-200 bars (especially when jason comes in for first time)
-shine a light
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Recently obtained a copy of Fucked Up Inside, and I'd have to add the moment about two and a half minutes into "Take Good Care Of It" when the saxophone kicks in, and the whole song just shifts into top gear. Magic.

It's amazing how you can hear a song played slightly differently live and really appreciate it after not thinking very much at all of it in the past...
icehockeyhair
New user

On Fire

Post by icehockeyhair »

The live version of On Fire on the Complete Works Vol 2 sends shivers through my entire body... I never really liked the album that much, but the intro to this is just unspeakable. The first time I listened to this was on a set of pretty good speakers in a large, empty room. It wasn't so bad like that.

Also, I know this is my first post on this message board... but someone mentioned a slightly "immature" user called Guerilla, and the guy Botox was lambasting was called Slowlife. Is this the same guy? Just think it might be because of the Super Furry Animals link...
Lux
Known user

Post by Lux »

I'm going to have to fall in line behind the many before me and say the second half of "Let if Flow." The music dims and everything is nearly peaceful, but just nearly. And then... ah, and then it all comes roaring back, more hazy and dreamier than ever. No matter how many times I listen to that song, I never tire of the second half. Its inexhaustable.

Lux
a beautiful noise
Known user

ahmen!

'let it flow' is simply glorious. the second half just soars, i just put that on a compilation for our violinist, she has no clue to who spiritualized are. so i thought i would give it to her straight. if she can't dig that tune no bother going any further.

xxxshonnxxx
MB_Arkestra
Known user

Post by MB_Arkestra »

I would have to second the part in let it flow when everything comes back in, great stuff. I've also really liked the church bells at the beginning of no god only religion.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

i say we revive this thread, it's lively and positive. for me the moment right now is how "smiles" gradually transforms into a pounding "things'll never be the same" at the end of a 2004 boot... any ideas to what this may be? ends with rated x, run, take your time, smiles, things...

Also I just love Jason's excellent, intellectual technique... this really is twenty-first century blues music. He's a master craftsman.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Erm... some of my current ones...

The flute (and the horns. and the open wah-wah bit in the middle for that matter) on the version of "Feel So Sad" on the Medication 12"?

Strings in "Born Never Asked".

The Sax at the end of "Shine a Light". And I love the brushed drums in that song too. Or at least that's what they sound like to me.

The bit at the end of Cop Shoot Cop after the freakout part where the horns reappear.

The vocal in "Rated X".

The bit in "200 Bars" when it turns into a proper song.

That'll do for now.
Alright?
New user

Post by Alright? »

around 3.50 into 'I didn't mean to hurt you' when some kind of keyboard/synth/whatever sound comes screaming in. Let It Come Down is the first Spiritualized album I bought and probably still my favourite. The first time I heard it i was just like 'fuck off! how is this band so good?'

on 'This little life of mine' when it all goes quiet around 2.00 and then you hear those 3 drum hits and it kicks back in. Spaceman's vocals on this song FUCKING RULE. I read in some review how you can hear the sneer on his face, which pretty much sums it up.

oh yeah, and when 'Cheapster' kicks in. how can you not love that moment?
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I always loved the moment when Shine a Light live cut in with the big guitar crescendo - probably my favourite recorded version of that is on the St Andrew's Hall bootleg or the Pinkpop edition of Abbey Raod.

Let it Flow live at RFH was genius as well - during the amazingly drawn out guitar interlude that night I was so excited I was waving my shirt around above my head!

Also the little L&GWAFIS reprise at the end of Anything More that night was a real spine-tingler...

Record-wise I've got to say I was totally blown away the first time I heard the reworked version of Lord Can You Hear Me on LICD - again the moment it all kicks in is just so special, and pure Spiritualized.

Most recently the Smiles/Things'll Never... finish to the Glasto 2004 show was right out there as well - did they ever push it that far on any other show during that tour? Can't think of any I went to! We were right on the barrier too....
a beautiful noise
Known user

for me i'm still not over the sage gig when they ended the set with "take me to the other side" and after playing that for about 8-10 minutes breaking into "sad days lonely nights" (the junior kimbrough cover) that was just a fantastic drone into a balls out freak out! 20 minutes of bliss and bright lights.

i still can't believe we didn't get that show on tape.

shame shame, shame on us!

xxme
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

That was a top night. Must do it again soon.

Yes indeed. I hate a drink.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

for me i'm still not over the sage gig when they ended the set with "take me to the other side" and after playing that for about 8-10 minutes breaking into "sad days lonely nights" (the junior kimbrough cover) that was just a fantastic drone into a balls out freak out! 20 minutes of bliss and bright lights.
Im gutted I can't remember it. I was too mashed.
a beautiful noise
Known user

ahh too bad it was top.

i was with northern soul and his buddy down on the floor. i was totally ill, (fucking edinburgh) and somehow i felt higher than i had in ages at he show. orbie and his misses were up in the balcony and swear i floated right pass them.

one question, what was up with all the national front idiots talking thru the set. but what are you gonna do when theres 10 of them.

hopefully someone (**cough cough** BEN) can get a copy of that show. i know people had mixerd reviews about it, but i had a blast of time with great company and i got to meet the jig and vieko and stood right behind someone else on the board. what a trip it was.

thanks again everyone

xxme
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

natty wrote: The Sax at the end of "Shine a Light". .
the one at the very end that sounds like a passing freight train? or is that a flugalhorn.
it was perhaps the thousandth time of listening to this song when i heard this.
i mean really heard it- realized how perfect it was there.
and i was standing on a subway platform at the time....
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

the last three and a half minutes or so of cop shoot cop (and no smartarses, no including the silence at the end of the album).

the only thing that comes close for me in pop music is the outro of the album version of nightrain.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

a beautiful noise wrote:ahh too bad it was top.

i was with northern soul and his buddy down on the floor. i was totally ill, (fucking edinburgh) and somehow i felt higher than i had in ages at he show. orbie and his misses were up in the balcony and swear i floated right pass them.

one question, what was up with all the national front idiots talking thru the set. but what are you gonna do when theres 10 of them.

hopefully someone (**cough cough** BEN) can get a copy of that show. i know people had mixerd reviews about it, but i had a blast of time with great company and i got to meet the jig and vieko and stood right behind someone else on the board. what a trip it was.

thanks again everyone

xxme
That was a top night. I turned up with no ticket, and just as I'm about to give up blagging in walks Shonn with a spare ticket. One of the most serendipitious moments of my life. Cheers to everyone else on the board who was there, it was fun meeting you all. Definitely up for doing it again sometime.

Post by Guest »

nighttrain ...

what's nighttrain?

Post by Guest »

Fibbers, York 2nd charity gig that day I can't remember which song it was, but it was finishing, delicately coming down; closing in on its own feedback. Jason dropped in the opening line from Ladies and Gentlemen.
'all I need's .... etc' . That was quite a moment, really beautiful.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

how about the peel session from cw1 disc 2 (can't remember where from originally)

an amazingly delicate, gorgeous "angel sigh" that resolves into that beautiful, hypnotic organ drone and then right into "feel so sad"... when the organ starts up in the song (sorta a jaunty, dreamy take on the old feel so sad melody) it just makes me "feel so good," as it were.