Influential Albums?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

nghst
Known user

Influential Albums?

Post by nghst »

There's a website that concocted a list of 100 "influential" albums. Visiters are challenged to see how many they own, but it seems like a majority of people who take the quiz are mad about what's in or out of the list. Two of my favorite bands made it: Mazzy Star and Spiritualized for So Tonight That I Might See and Ladies and Gentlemen... Anyway I'd be interested to hear what other people think about this list.

http://www.influentialalbums.com/
redcloud
Known user

Re: Influential Albums?

Post by redcloud »

I don't have facebook so I guess I'm not cool enough to take the quiz or see the full list.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

m, yer not missing out on anything... this is just another good example of classic facebook exhibitionism... I wish I could bring myself to delete my profile...
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Sorry to all those who aren't on facebook. I found a site that lists them if you want to see it. https://gist.github.com/4643270

On the facebook page they are taking suggestions for improving the list. I saw Spacemen 3 - Playing with Fire as one possible addition. I personally would choose Recurring over that one, but I was glad they got a mention.

P.S. I only had 12 albums that were on the list, about half of which I sold, so I guess my real score would be around a 6.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

I count 24 that I have on vinyl, a few more on cd or mp3
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Hofstadter wrote:m, yer not missing out on anything... this is just another good example of classic facebook exhibitionism... I wish I could bring myself to delete my profile...
i completely agree with this. i think about deleting mine every day, but i think i have to have a personal profile to maintain my band's page there. incredibly annoying. it's like being trapped in high school for all eternity.

oh and i took this quiz. i think i had 58 of those albums. there were some real headscratchers in there- since when is clap your hands say yeah! an influential band?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

A quick scan suggests that I have about 40 of those records. I'm also kind of proud that I don't have a bunch of the rest and am confused by the presence of about 20-30 of the albums on the list. So typical list then....
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I have 42 of them, though to be fair I've listened to about 35 of those. Strange thing to advertise in one's social media. All in all I think this was a better list in terms of what's been fashionable in various indie-rock circles over the last ten years than most equivalent attempts I've seen.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

46 that I can either remember from my iPod (= not necessarily listened to) or know I have on CD.

A few odd choices, eg Exile On Main Street yet no Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers - 3 well crafted albums that doesn't have the bloated self-pastiche bland pub-rock evident on parts of Exile :?:
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I own 32 of those and have owned another 7 of them in the past. Not a very illuminating list, to be honest. Most of the albums I do have fall in the "classics I play once or twice a year" category; only If You're Feeling Sinister, Loveless, Automatic For The People, LAGWAFIS and OK Computer get played on a semi-regular basis.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I have 36 but I listen to about 7 of them these days.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Here's an update from the creator of the list:
The Influential Albums quiz was just an idea that was developed while I was learning about Facebook app development. It was never intended to be an exhaustive list of the 100 most influential albums. It's missing far too many important genres of music for that. It was just compiled out of some of my favourite albums and a few others that usually appear on those 'top 100 albums' lists. Finding it extremely difficult to find a decent domain name for it, it became influentialalbums.com.
I have discovered a lot of music I've never heard before through the comments on the website and our Facebook page (and maybe other people are finding that too), so I think that it would be a shame to stop doing this. I have decided to compile a new list with your help. You can vote for the albums you want to keep in by going to the main page and rating each album, and can also vote for the following suggested albums by clicking the 'vote for this album' links to be taken to the corresponding Facebook poll. Just one album can be chosen from each group of ten albums so please choose the one that you think is most influential.
Suggestions for new albums will be taken from your comments on our Facebook page until midnight on the 11th February and the Facebook questions will run until the 18th February. Please keep checking back here as your suggested albums are added to this page a few times every day.
The top three albums from each Facebook poll (if they are considered influential) will be collected together and new poll questions will be generated and linked to on this page.
I'm not sure if you need to be on Facebook to see this page, but here it compiles an additional 210 albums that are being considered for a new top 100 list.

http://www.influentialalbums.com/vote
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

48 for me, that I have owned at one time or another. with the caveat however that at least 10 have been sold on. sometimes you check out these supposed 'classic albums' and wonder what all the fuss is about!

the Facebook exhibitionism element of it annoys me too. yet another reason for me to be glad I never joined that thing :)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, I've got or had 46 of those albums. Saw a friend had done it on FB so I followed suit. Of course these things are subjective and, to be honest, pretty pointless but it killed some time during one of the many sleepless nights that seem to be becoming a common theme of my "new" life :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

nghst wrote:Sorry to all those who aren't on facebook. I found a site that lists them if you want to see it. https://gist.github.com/4643270
Just saw this. Glad to see they put 'SF Sorrow' as number 1. :D

As for the rest? Well, as others have pointed out it's all subjective with some blatant omissions and some obvious inclusions.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

redcloud wrote:
nghst wrote:Sorry to all those who aren't on facebook. I found a site that lists them if you want to see it. https://gist.github.com/4643270
Just saw this. Glad to see they put 'SF Sorrow' as number 1. :D

As for the rest? Well, as others have pointed out it's all subjective with some blatant omissions and some obvious inclusions.
VERY GLAD to see the Pretty Things at "#1". VERY subjective, I agree; I counted 77 releases in my collection; but even some of THOSE I don't think that much of. Blatant omissions, obvious inclusions, indeed.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Bizarrely enough I actually know the guy that did created this. It was just done as a test apparently with FB software - google should find some news on it.... :shock:
O P 8
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

My wife and I finally decided to join Facebook as a "joint" page. Mainly because her brother visited us from England and convinced us to sign up. I guess we have finally accepted that this is the way people seem to communicate and if it allows us to stay a little more in touch with family and friends who are far away then it should hopefully be worth it.

Anyway, back on topic...since joining FB I have seen this "Influential Albums" quiz on a lot of people's timeline. It is amazing how quickly it has been shared around the world.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Memetics...