Psych For Sore Eyes

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shinesalight
Known user

New Sonic Cathedral EP

Post by Shinesalight »

Just got another e-mail from those lovely Sonic Cathedral chaps. This looks very interesting indeed 8) :-

We are very proud to announce the release of the 'Psych For Sore Eyes' EP, which is released on February 18. It contains six tracks of modern psychedelia, all mastered by Sonic Boom and if you check out the front cover, you will see it's the best looking record you will see in 2013.

We have been painstakingly putting together this audio-visual delight for months now, with the help of the good folk at Heretic (who have previously designed posters for our shows with Damo Suzuki and Spectrum). We don't want to spoil the surprise as all will be revealed nearer the time – and to be honest mere words do not do justice to it – but the EP will come on two slabs of 7" vinyl, one red, one green. Like 3D glasses. This is handy, because the sleeve that houses the two records folds out into a giant, screen printed 3D poster of mind-melting proportions. There will also be a pair of real 3D glasses in there as well, just in case you need to add a few extra dimensions.

And that's just the sleeve. The music's not bad either – exclusive tracks from six of our favourite new bands: Hookworms, Ttotals, The Vacant Lots, White Manna, Lorelle Meets The Obsolete and The Band In Heaven.

PRE-ORDER 'PSYCH FOR SORE EYES' ON VINYL FROM THE SONIC CATHEDRAL SHOP

PRE-ORDER 'PSYCH FOR SORE EYES' DIGITALLY FROM THE SONIC CATHEDRAL BANDCAMP

Anyone pre-ordering the EP on either format will get a free invite to the launch party, which takes place at the Red Gallery, Rivington Street, London EC1 on Thursday, February 21, 2013. It will feature live sets from Hookworms and some very special guests. More info on that soon. To whet your appetite you will also receive a free MP3 of The Band In Heaven's wonderful closing track, 'High Low', which you can get a sneak preview of here.

http://www.soniccathedral.co.uk
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Re: New Sonic Cathedral EP

Post by sunray »

Beat me to it Shines! Ordered.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I saw the Black Angels first ever UK/London gig at Sonic Cathedral. A long, narrow place around Old St tube (I think) that was absolutely packed to the brim.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Looks absolutely stunning!!!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

That does look rather gorgeous but, do you know what....with all this having a baby nonsense I think I completely forgot to pre-order this, even though it was me that originally started this thread :oops: Waiting to hear back from my local record store to see if they're going to be getting copies in otherwise it looks like I've gone and missed the boat. Gutted.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I don't suppose anyone managed to grab a spare copy of this that they are looking for a good home for? I'm struggling to get my hands on a coy of this :cry: I don't suppose any of the Hookworms crew have got any going have they Matt Benn?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Ringo
New user

Post by Ringo »

In the same boat here damn it!

Since reading about it from the original post, I saved it to my favourites and thought 'I'll order that soon" and by the time I came to, despite looking at it many times, I didn't, then it sold out. Grrrrr
johnnyboy
Known user

Psych For Sore Eyes

Post by johnnyboy »

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/1745 ... ws/4145966

Sounds good eh. That sleeve will look great on vinyl.
johnnyboy
Known user

Re: Psych For Sore Eyes

Post by johnnyboy »

God dammit, it's sold out already. Too late to the game on this one.

http://soniccathedral.bigcartel.com/pro ... re-eyes-ep
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Yeah I missed the boat on that one too. Looks good though!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I ordered this a while back after a message on this board mentioning its upcoming release (otherwise I would have missed it). I believe it will ship soon, but I certainly have not recieved my copy yet. Did get notice that Trensmat are shipping the new GNOD record over the weekend.
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

And free entry to the launch gig next week
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Mine arrived today, what a beautiful package. Will play it later when the kids are asleep. Very glad I'm on the Sonic Cathedral mailing list as this sold out really quickly.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Anticipating a copy state side. Ditto about the mailing list and pre-order opportunity.
I think I feel it coming on
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I think they underestimated the demand for this record. I wonder if they will do a repress? Can't believe I missed out despite being the one that started this thread :( :oops:
Last edited by Shinesalight on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mine also arrived today, not had a listen yet. Nice that it came with a d/l code.
Anyone else having trouble folding it back together exactly the way it came out! :oops:
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

I did initially but got it back together.

Open it out flat with the face in front of you (portrait as opposed to landscape), fold the top and bottom layers up over the vinyl and they should slot into one another. Then fold left and right sides together like a concertina and it should fold back in on itself.

Apologies if that makes you more confused :lol:
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

and it was waiting for me when I arrived home from work - -quite a piece of art. all mastered my Sonic - 3-d glasses and I'm sitting here smiling like a mushroom eating head. Fantastic effort by Sonic Cathedral.
I think I feel it coming on
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I really must be missing something regarding that album cover. Everytime I see images of it online it makes my head and eyes hurt. Do I need 3D glasses to appreciate it properly? Do I need 20-20 eyesight? Gods, it's hideous. It makes me want to cry.

I'm sorry. I don't even like psych music that much. IMHO and all that :oops:

Edit: apparently I do need 3D glasses... BUT I HATE 3D, IT MAKES MY HEAD HURT...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm desperate for this but not so desperate as to pay out this kind of money for a 7":-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PSYCH-FOR-SOR ... fe9&_uhb=1

(I suppose people cashing in on this was inevitable really :roll: )
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Broc wrote:I did initially but got it back together.

Open it out flat with the face in front of you (portrait as opposed to landscape), fold the top and bottom layers up over the vinyl and they should slot into one another. Then fold left and right sides together like a concertina and it should fold back in on itself.

Apologies if that makes you more confused :lol:
Cheers Broc. I'd managed to close it but had lost the 'concertina effect' in the process. Problem now corrected :D

Maybe the two threads concerning this release could be merged?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Broc wrote:Maybe the two threads concerning this release could be merged?
Can this be done Mods? Ta.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Had a listen today. It's really good. The Hookworms singer has even managed to reign in the vocal histrionics! Definitely one of the better Sonic Cathedral releases. Most of the ones i've heard were too lightweight for my tastes, but this hits the spot!

Anyone who missed out on buying a copy and wants to hear it, PM me and i'll sort you out with mp3's.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

sunray wrote:Had a listen today. It's really good. The Hookworms singer has even managed to reign in the vocal histrionics! Definitely one of the better Sonic Cathedral releases. Most of the ones i've heard were too lightweight for my tastes, but this hits the spot!

Anyone who missed out on buying a copy and wants to hear it, PM me and i'll sort you out with mp3's.
This has been my misgiving of them tbh. Sonically magnificent, but not so much into the vocals. The big man seems to be definitely holding back a bit on the lp preview and this contribution to the EP. I like them.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Shinesalight wrote:I think they underestimated the demand for this record. I wonder if they will do a repress? Can't believe I missed out despite being the one that started this thread :( :oops:
I missed out on a copy too, but Nathaniel called it his "Blue Monday" on Twitter so I wouldn't expect a repress.
Digital release on bandcamp: http://soniccathedral.bandcamp.com/albu ... -sore-eyes
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Mine arrived the other day. I've only played the Hookworms tune so far, which I really enjoyed. Leaving aside the 3D artwork, the whole concept of the 2x7" singles in a folded (and very novel) sleeve reminds me a lot of the first Factory Sampler. Suffice to say that I am very pleased with this as a beautiful artifact as well as a great record.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I noticed there was a big discussion about this on their FB page yesterday; the difficulty of working out costs for such a limited release and trying to judge supply and demand so you don't lose too much money. It's clear from what the Sonic Cathedral guy was saying that they a) didn't gauge the demand correctly, b) misjudged the costs involved in the project and c) that despite all the time and effort that a lot of people have clearly put in to this release, the only people making any profit from it are the flippers on E-Bay. :x

There were quite a few people, myself included, enquiring about the possibility of a repress but Sonic Cathedral have implied that it would be too costly. It's clearly a hard task getting these things right. Mr Sonic Cathedral (Nathaniel?) also mentioned that he has a room full of previous records where the demand wasn't so great so it's clearly a fine balancing act.

Strangely enough, Mrs Shines asked me yesterday if I would like to put some money behind a project like this but, as rewarding as I'm sure it can be, I'm not sure if I'd have the time, contacts or money to make it a success. I would like to take my hat off to the guys behind Cardinal Fuzz and Dock Ellis for having the balls to do it though, especially in these tough economic times. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Ah I didn't see the full conversation, but that's definitely the impression I got from Twitter.

I've now given it a couple of listens, the White Manna track is epic! And it's not often I enjoy (or even tolerate) saxophone, but it's extremely well used there.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

it should have been called 'psych for sore ears' :shock:
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

burningwheel wrote:it should have been called 'psych for sore ears' :shock:
Seems one copy has gone to an unhappy home. Is it going spare - I will happily take it off you.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Blimey, Runcible is so desperate for this he's posted that three times! I'm not even going to try and beat that but I'm still looking for a hard copy too.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

No idea what happened there but cleared up now!

Still after a copy though...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I would love that copy too and i'm local :wink:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

sorry guys, i don't have a copy sadly . i just posted my thoughts about the title
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

burningwheel wrote:sorry guys, i don't have a copy sadly . i just posted my thoughts about the title
You must write for the NME then. Such informed views are what makes that mag tick.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
burningwheel wrote:sorry guys, i don't have a copy sadly . i just posted my thoughts about the title
You must write for the NME then. Such informed views are what makes that mag tick.
Miaow! :wink: It's quite possible Burningwheel's title was meant as a compliment; "The ep's such a maelstrom of noise that it'll leave your ears sore", kinda thing.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

If that's the case I'll admit I was harsh. But comments like that remind me of the negativity that took place here before the release of SH/SL last year when people made snap judgements - many of which were on a downer - about an album they hadn't even heard yet.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

sunray wrote:It's quite possible Burningwheel's title was meant as a compliment; "The ep's such a maelstrom of noise that it'll leave your ears sore", kinda thing.
Yeah, must admit, that's how I read Burningwheels comments too. You're getting too wound up Runci after not getting yourself a copy of this elusive single :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Nah, I managed to snag one after all that...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:Nah, I managed to snag one after all that...

WHAT??!!??!! :shock:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

:D
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Is it a case of its not WHAT you know, but WHO?! :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Awsome night last night, my humble apologies to Matt for being a bit tipsy on my arrival !! Young Husband were decent, Zero set (i think they called themselves) effectively the Early years reworking some of their tunes in semi improvised style. Certainly worked for me and it sounded very Dano Suzuki ere Can to my ears.

The Worms were splendid as always, place was full, effectively a dingy basement DIY type venue, great visuals and although the vocals wre inaudible from where I was (ie right at the front) it mattered not a jot.

Matt, can you post a set list mate ? I normally take a note but was unable to write ....hic

They played the tune off the EP, which was blinding, first time live apprently.

Bit hazy when I awoke for my train this morning !!
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

Psych for sore eyes t-shirt available - http://soniccathedral.bigcartel.com/pro ... es-t-shirt
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Thanks for that Jake, cool T-Shirt, just ordered it. I didn't receive an e-mail about this T-Shirt even though I'm on the mailing list, did you get one or just stumble across it on the site?

I haven't played this EP a huge amount yet but side D is an early highlight for me, especially the Lorelle Meets The Obsolete track.
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

Don't think there was an email .. I found this on Twitter - I know a few on here are anti twitter but for keeping up on music news, releases and interesting extras it is great
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, I saw this on FB which I guess a lot of being are reluctant to use. Again, it's on there that I usually get a heads up about gigs and exclusive releases. If only I was following Cardinal Fuzz earlier then I would have been in with a chance of getting my hands on the coloured vinyl Heads release.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Volume 2 looks a treat for the eyes!

http://thequietus.com/articles/16339-so ... e-eyes-two
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Oh shit - second time in two days I've been huggermuggered by a bit of coloured vinyl and packaging glory (first being Thom Yorke)

My aching bank balance...
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Wow that's some incredible design work
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Sold out already :(
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Huxley123 wrote:Sold out already :(
That was quick! Luckily I bought one as soon as I saw the link yesterday, including a ten minute "shall I, shan't I?" worry about the cost in the middle
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Greeny wrote:Oh shit - second time in two days I've been huggermuggered by a bit of coloured vinyl and packaging glory (first being Thom Yorke)

My aching bank balance...
Ooops - make that three - completely forgotten I also ordered that new Cheval Sombre Madder Love EP which just arrived in the post!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I'm surprised there was any left as Olan reported a feeding frenzy when the box of them arrived at LPF! It was funny to see us nerds fretting over whether we'd get any but Aquarian Time kept on top of it, tracking their travels up the motorway via twitter :lol:
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Got mine yesterday. The 'orange' disc is OK, if a bit 'Kevin Ayers' for my taste. Loving the 'purple' disc though, it's got a lot of Spacemen 3 about it I reckon, especially side D.

And the package itself - wow! Just the print smell alone... my Dad used to work in a screen printers and this brought back so many memories...
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Greeny wrote:Got mine yesterday. The 'orange' disc is OK, if a bit 'Kevin Ayers' for my taste. Loving the 'purple' disc though, it's got a lot of Spacemen 3 about it I reckon, especially side D.

And the package itself - wow! Just the print smell alone... my Dad used to work in a screen printers and this brought back so many memories...
Hehe, a bit 'Kevin Ayers'. That made me laugh. Does that mean more acoustic/pastoral/English psychedelia vibes?

Mine hasn't arrived yet, unless the afternoon post at work brings a surprise. Paying £18 for two &'s has worried me but the package itself does look/sound amazing. Can't wait to sniff, play and look at it.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

johnnyboy wrote:
Hehe, a bit 'Kevin Ayers'. That made me laugh. Does that mean more acoustic/pastoral/English psychedelia vibes?
As much in the vocal styles as anything, but yes I detect some nice curation in the way these discs were put together, with the first having that more late 60s London vibe and the second being more spacey in the S3/Warlocks style...
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I got my copy through the post today, at last. It looks, and smells, amazing. Just hope it plays and sounds as good later on at home.
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Dayum, they went on sale last night...missed out again.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

A new Hills song???? Cool. I hope they have a new album in the works for 2015.