What are some of your favorite live albums?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

VHSTAPE777
New user

What are some of your favorite live albums?

Post by VHSTAPE777 »

My favorite is MC5's kick out the jams.
0O\//\//\//\//\//\//\O0
PopeJez
Known user

Re: What are some of your favorite live albums?

Post by PopeJez »

The Cure - Bestival. Stripped back and powerfull
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Neil Young unplugged.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour 74
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Heads - Tilburg
Motorpsycho - Heavy Metall Iz A Poze, Hardt Rock Iz A Laifschteil
Grateful Dead - er.... where to start with this lot?
Flying Burrito Brothers - Authorised Bootleg, Nov 7 1970
Spacemen 3 - Performance
Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
Black Crowes - Before The Frost/Until The Freeze

loads more but this lot struck me first...
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

gene krupa and buddy rich at the jatp - the drum battle
jerry lee lewis - old time religion
modern lovers - modern lovers live
jimi hendrix - band of gypsys
frank zappa - roxy and elsewhere
johnny cash - johnny cash at san quentin
herman brood - cha cha
rolling stones - hyde park '69
lou reed - live '75
henry rollins/gore - live
miles davis - isle of wight concert 1970
chelsea wolfe - live at roadburn, april 12, 2012
rev. louis overstreet - an evening with rev louis overstreet
ramones - it's alive
ike and tina turner - olympia '71
and last but not..
spiritualized - new york july 31, 2010 - especially 'stay with me' always got me cracked inside

but there's so much out there that this list is like a drip in the ocean...
"Thank you"
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Mogwai- Special Moves,
SLF-Hanx! , back in the day used to listen to this more than the studio albums,
The Orb- Live 93, spent many hours chilling out to this album,
Motorhead- No Sleep Till Hammersmith, my introduction to Motorhead ,
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

niamhm wrote:Mogwai- Special Moves
Good shout. This is a magnificent live album and actually it's often my first port of call when I'm in the mood for a spot of Mogwai.

Other live albums that I just love:-

Neil Young - Weld
Spiritualized -Fucked Up Inside
Ride - Live from Reading Festival (from the Ride Box Set CD)
The Charlatans - Live It Like You Love It
CSNY -Four Way Street
The Heads Tilburg/Live at Koko
New Order - BBC Radio 1 Live in Concert
Spacemen 3 - Performance/Live in Europe
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:
Good shout. This is a magnificent live album and actually it's often my first port of call when I'm in the mood for a spot of Mogwai.

Neil Young - Weld
CSNY -Four Way Street
So, much as I love e.g. Special Moves or Performance, or even Live at the RAH, they fail the favourite live album test for me because they are either not recorded at a single show, or there are overdubs and loads of postproduction.

I love Sill by Joy Division (Still:Bootleg, geddit) a warts 'n all live show. Synths out of tune, fuck ups by the drummer (Passover), guitars and bass (all tunes really), and fader down on lead vox on the first song. To me it has to be direct to disk. even Dire St***Ts' live LP was done that way; overdubs abd post-production is for wimps. Tilberg or Koko by The Heads are good example of the document it:release it point of view.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

olan wrote:
Shinesalight wrote:

Neil Young - Weld
CSNY -Four Way Street
So, much as I love e.g. Special Moves or Performance, or even Live at the RAH, they fail the favourite live album test for me because they are either not recorded at a single show, or there are overdubs and loads of postproduction.

I love Sill by Joy Division (Still:Bootleg, geddit) a warts 'n all live show. Synths out of tune, fuck ups by the drummer (Passover), guitars and bass (all tunes really), and fader down on lead vox on the first song. To me it has to be direct to disk. even Dire St***Ts' live LP was done that way; overdubs abd post-production is for wimps. Tilberg or Koko by The Heads are good example of the document it:release it point of view.
it says on the spine its a live album,anything after that your making up your own rules :wink: ... honestly makes no difference to me if a bit of post-recording/tarting up is done,
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

this thread has got me listening to a couple of live albums tonight , both of which I`ve had for at least 22 yrs.

The Damed-Live At Shepperton , not sure if its the best Damned live ,might be , certainly my fav. line up I think? Gray or Ward , not much in it really , but some great versions of some great songs,

Neil Young & Crazy Horse-Weld , first Neil Young album I bought ,on vinyl ,according to discogs its going for some funny money wouldn`t sell it though ,my fav. versions of some of my fav. Neil songs .
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

niamhm wrote: it says on the spine its a live album,anything after that your making up your own rules :wink: ... honestly makes no difference to me if a bit of post-recording/tarting up is done,
Sorry. Was full of 'flu and Guinness when I typed that. I did not mean it to sound like a rule, What I was trying to say was that my favourite live LPs are all documents of one show with minimal post-production. I think this is because they all capture the "vibe" of the gig pretty well. The Clash Westway LP, for example, is great fun, but is a selection of tracks recorded at various gigs over four or five years. It is a very poor document of what the band were like live, more like a Greatest Hits LP in many ways. Ditto Live Chronicles by Spectrum. FUI by Spiritualized is a great album, that almost manages to catch what a phenomental impact they had at the time.

Good call on the Neil Young live albums and any Johnny Cash live album, particularly the San Quentin and Folsom Prison albums. I recall a really good thread about Live LPs a couple of years back:

http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... ive+albums
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

herman wrote:jerry lee lewis - old time religion
Oh yeah - that reminds me. Jerry Lee Lewis at the Star Club, Hamburg. The most insanely energetic rock n' roll I have ever heard. Tip of the hat to Barry for hooking me up with that.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

olan wrote:
niamhm wrote: it says on the spine its a live album,anything after that your making up your own rules :wink: ... honestly makes no difference to me if a bit of post-recording/tarting up is done,
Sorry. Was full of 'flu and Guinness when I typed that. I did not mean it to sound like a rule, What I was trying to say was that my favourite live LPs are all documents of one show with minimal post-production. I think this is because they all capture the "vibe" of the gig pretty well. The Clash Westway LP, for example, is great fun, but is a selection of tracks recorded at various gigs over four or five years. It is a very poor document of what the band were like live, more like a Greatest Hits LP in many ways. Ditto Live Chronicles by Spectrum. FUI by Spiritualized is a great album, that almost manages to catch what a phenomental impact they had at the time.

Good call on the Neil Young live albums and any Johnny Cash live album, particularly the San Quentin and Folsom Prison albums. I recall a really good thread about Live LPs a couple of years back:

hahahah!! .. its funny you pick that Clash album out , I love it!! some fantastic versions of some great songs , The Clash are regarded as a fantastic live band , but there isn`t an official live release to back it up which is kinda strange, I`m listening to " Live At Shea Stadium " as I type , its okay , good even , but nothing about it has ever really pressed my buttons ... maybe its just me ,always preferred "Westway..." .... saying that "Police On My Back " is f#cking blowing the Saturday morning hangover cobwebs well away!!!

some folk mention Hawkwind -Space Ritual , which is great , but can I just say the Hawkwind have quite a few great live albums :D ,
Kraftwerk - Minimum - Maximum, thats a superb live album , but recorded over a few venues , the dvd is well worth a play as well 8) , I see there playing T-In The Park , well strange , haven`t been to that since 1998, as the years have went past and I`ve got older , the line up has looked less and less like my cup of tea, the day their playing hasn`t been confirmed yet , but if its the saturday ... might yet find myself among the Mumford & Son , teenage Buckfast crew, 20 yr. since I saw the Kraftwerk ,
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

niamhm wrote:
hahahah!! .. its funny you pick that Clash album out , I love it!! some fantastic versions of some great songs , The Clash are regarded as a fantastic live band , but there isn`t an official live release to back it up which is kinda strange, I`m listening to " Live At Shea Stadium " as I type , its okay , good even , but nothing about it has ever really pressed my buttons ... maybe its just me ,always preferred "Westway..." .... saying that "Police On My Back " is f#cking blowing the Saturday morning hangover cobwebs well away!!!

some folk mention Hawkwind -Space Ritual , which is great , but can I just say the Hawkwind have quite a few great live albums :D ,
Kraftwerk - Minimum - Maximum, thats a superb live album , but recorded over a few venues , the dvd is well worth a play as well 8) , I see there playing T-In The Park , well strange , haven`t been to that since 1998, as the years have went past and I`ve got older , the line up has looked less and less like my cup of tea, the day their playing hasn`t been confirmed yet , but if its the saturday ... might yet find myself among the Mumford & Son , teenage Buckfast crew, 20 yr. since I saw the Kraftwerk ,
I saw The Clash play twice in 1982 IIRC, which had a fair old impact on me to say the least. The first time was in the SFX hall in Dublin which featured a massive punch-up in the crowd and an atmosphere the likes of which I can't describe. That Shea Stadium gig is OK, but the setlist is pretty poor and the absence of Topper behind the kit is pretty obvious. The Kraftwerk album is great, but is too long for my tastes (short attention span at my advanced age). so I tend to listen to chunks of it. I listened to Copenhagen by Galaxie 500 this morning, which I only remembered about having read my posting to the earlier live albums thread (old age again). I'm going to give the Primal Scream/MC5 set a spin next, followed by an ACR live album for old times sake....
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

A lot of the obvious ones have already been listed. My favorite live LP would probably be 'Kick out the Jams'. But, I also love the Allman's 'Live At The Fillmore'. What about 'The Last Waltz'? I know there are some fans of The Band in here so it seems that album should be listed.

Not sure if an album like Quicksilver's 'Happy Trails' technically qualifies because of the studio overdubs but as we pointed out in the 'Quietus' thread...many live albums have been treated similarly. But, it is a monster album that should be in every rock collection. QMS definitely had a classic in them but they needed somebody to help get it out. Songwriting and singing wasn't their forte but the guitars on the first two QMS LP's are tremendous. After 'Happy Trails' though their star was snuffed out.

Regarding the Dead...imho, their best official live albums were 'Live Dead' and 'Europe 72' although neither are complete sets as they are assembled together from a variety of nights/shows. So, really for true officially released live Dead I guess one would need to hit the vault releases or one of the many Dick's Picks.

The 10 year old kid in me still loves UFO's 'Strangers in the Night', Grand Funk's 'Live Album' and Kiss 'Alive 1'. When I was a young boy these albums rocked my world and helped send me on my rock and roll path.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the cure- 'paris'- amazing setlist and plenty of mistakes left in- plus that version of 'play for today' where the entire crowd sings along to the keyboard riff is incredible, imo. it is from three different nights, but all from the same venue and i've found that most of the songs were taken from the third night. i feel like a lot of cure people ignore this album for some weird reason.

neil young- 'live at massey hall'

portishead- 'live at the roseland'- the dvd, not the CD.

nirvana- 'live at the paramount'- i think this is the best live nirvana document. they're at their absolute peak and they're still having fun- even while playing 'smells like teen spirit.' the 'unplugged' set is something all its own and i don't really compare it to this.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

shalloboi wrote:neil young- 'live at massey hall'
Good call. Of all the live Young albums this too is my favorite.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Also, Neil Young & Crazy Horse : Live @ The Fillmore East '70. Fucking incredible.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

olan wrote:So, much as I love e.g. Special Moves or Performance, or even Live at the RAH, they fail the favourite live album test for me because they are either not recorded at a single show, or there are overdubs and loads of postproduction.

I'm not so sure about this. I think the polish that some live albums have is what distinguishes them from bootlegs. I don't want the shitty sound quality, bum notes, crowd noise being too much at the front of the mix, etc. when I'm paying for what is meant to be what the artist is selling as a quality live recording. As long as there's not too much tinkering I believe you can have a bit of decent post-production without losing the authenticity of the live experience.
olan wrote: recall a really good thread about Live LPs a couple of years back:

We do seem to return to quite a few thread topics over the years on this forum don't we. Anyone up for discussing the merits of the Verve's Urban Hymns?! :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

redcloud wrote:What about 'The Last Waltz'? I know there are some fans of The Band in here so it seems that album should be listed.
The Last Waltz is a real mixed bag. Some great tracks but I don't care for some of the guests, and some of the performances of standards are not their best. I'd go with the expanded edition of Rock of Ages, though I think both are "essential" live albums. It's an overused word but I'll stand by it.
shalloboi wrote:nirvana- 'live at the paramount'- i think this is the best live nirvana document. they're at their absolute peak and they're still having fun- even while playing 'smells like teen spirit.' the 'unplugged' set is something all its own and i don't really compare it to this.
Ultimately I have to stand by Unplugged as the best live document of Nirvana, though admittedly I haven't heard the Paramount show. I've always been partial to Roma 1994 -- Kurt wasn't very talkative or quite all there but to me the In Utero material is a must. It's also the first boot I ever got!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

jadams501 wrote: Ultimately I have to stand by Unplugged as the best live document of Nirvana, though admittedly I haven't heard the Paramount show. I've always been partial to Roma 1994 -- Kurt wasn't very talkative or quite all there but to me the In Utero material is a must. It's also the first boot I ever got!
i forgot about 'roma'! i taped it off of my best friend in high school, but it's long gone now. i need to get another copy of that one- thanks for reminding me! i'm still hoping that the live set they did for the MTV new year's eve special from 93-94 is released- i'd imagine there'll be some kind of reissue for the 20th anniversary of 'in utero' this year.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

shalloboi wrote:the cure- 'paris'- amazing setlist and plenty of mistakes left in- plus that version of 'play for today' where the entire crowd sings along to the keyboard riff is incredible, imo. it is from three different nights, but all from the same venue and i've found that most of the songs were taken from the third night. i feel like a lot of cure people ignore this album for some weird reason.
I guess I fit into this camp. Great setIist but I remember being disappointed with this when it came out ("Show" as well). From what I remember I thought the performances were really dull but I was also a bit Cure'd out at the time. If I come by a used copy of this on the cheap I'll have to pick it up and give it another listen.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I still stand by all my choices in that other thread,
also add a vote for The Last Waltz. there is a slight pomposity to the whole thing (adding in all the musical guests to try and cover the whole of modern musical history, the slight self satisfied undertone and myth making), having said that I think musically you can't argue with it at all.

agree that The Clash's Live at Shea Stadium is sorely missing Topper but still great.

on the subject of Kraftwerk I'll flag up that bootleg of the early lineup (featuring members of Neu), it's guitar based, and heavy and droney as hell!

on the subject of editing/fixing I don't really take a fascist line on that- some nipping and tucking is fine, fixing obvious mistakes that may take away from the flow of it. but when it gets OTT it takes the piss. it's about getting a balance.

I'd use Mogwai's Special Moves as an example of tremendously well recorded live album that still sounds like them. having seen them a couple of times, it really gives a flavour of what they sound like live (just clearer!)
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Minky wrote:
shalloboi wrote:the cure- 'paris'- amazing setlist and plenty of mistakes left in- plus that version of 'play for today' where the entire crowd sings along to the keyboard riff is incredible, imo. it is from three different nights, but all from the same venue and i've found that most of the songs were taken from the third night. i feel like a lot of cure people ignore this album for some weird reason.
I guess I fit into this camp. Great setIist but I remember being disappointed with this when it came out ("Show" as well). From what I remember I thought the performances were really dull but I was also a bit Cure'd out at the time. If I come by a used copy of this on the cheap I'll have to pick it up and give it another listen.
i have a soft spot for the 'wish'-era group. when i disappear down a cure wormhole for a few weeks i usually start with 'wish,' 'show' and 'paris' and go from there. i can understand why people find 'wish' and that era a bit off-putting, though.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

A couple more that I will add:

The Green Pajamas - Lust Never Sleeps
The Groundhogs - Hoggin' The Stage.
Quicksilver Messenger Service - Maiden of the Cancer Moon (live '68)

The 'hogs and QMS albums are technically bootlegs that Psycho Records put out back in the 80's. The Groundhogs compiles a set taken from a '71 London and Leeds show. It was originally a double LP with an extra 7". Not sure why they didn't just cull more material from the shows and extend it to a 3LP set? The QMS record was taken from the legendary June 1968 show at the Fillmore East.

Man, Psycho Records were one of the great labels back in the '80's.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The Band- Rock Of Ages
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Luna - Luna Live. I highly recommend this to any Luna fans.
The Cramps - Smell Of Female. Short and very sweet!

I agree with Neil Young - Live At Massey Hall, never heard Live At Fillmore East, must check it out.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

This is a quick attempt at listing the best of the of recent live additions to my vinyl collection:

ACR: Live in Groningen 26.10.1980 (Classic ACR lineup at their absolute peak-the capture/release effects by their live engineer on Winter Hill are stunning. A bargain for a tenner new!)
Ramones: It's Alive (£3 for a mint copy in a Charity Shop in Liverpool!)
Kraftwerk: Live in Paris 1976/Live in Utrecht 1981 [Bootleg]
Julian Cope: Julian Weirds Out (Sydney 19 May 1986) [Bootleg]

Probably need a stewards inquiry for this last one as tracks 1 & 8 are studio recordings, but tracks 2-7 are live, recorded at Pauluskerk, Tilberg:

Six Organs of Admittance: Mariakapel

This is also one of the most beautiful records I have been lucky enough to get my hands on recently. I think there were only 500 copies pressed. If you find one buy it!
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I was going to post that I am not that fond of live albums…

Harmonia - Live 74
Orbital - Live at the Glastonbury Fayre - 1994 - 2004
Spacemen 3 - Performance
The Cramps - Smell of Female
The Cramps - Rockinnreeliinaucklandnewzealandxxx
Harmony Rockets - Paralyzed Mind of the Archangel Void
Iggy & the Stooges - Metallic KO
Tindersticks - Live at The Bloomsbury Theatre (the vinyl one with My Sister)
Suicide - Live at CBGBs
John Coltrane - One Up, One Down: Live at the Half Note

…that doesn’t appear to be true though.

Swans' Feel Good Now was a good shout earlier but I don’t think I have listened to it more than once, I guess you have to be in the right mood!
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

joy division - les bains douches (great showcase for them as a punk band)
the who - live at leeds
the verve - voyager 1
suicide - ghost riders
the velvet underground - live 1969
birthday party - live 1981/2
the cure - in orange (i guess this is technically a video but i have it in mp3)
galaxie 500 - live in copenhagen
spacemen 3 - live in europe (although i think i play the thunder cafe bootleg most)
television - live at the old waldorf
siouxsie and the banshees - nocturne
nirvana - live at reading
rolling stones - brussels affair (i guess its official now)
primal scream - live in japan
the smiths - rank
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Off the top of my head - detailed below:

Best live gig I have is Belle & Sebastian (19/02/2002) live Cirkus, Stockholm - broadcast on FM radio and widely distributed in CD quality. Curiously eclipsed by the sloppy live Belfast recording they attached to the 'BBC Sessions' release several years later, presumably as that lesser show was originally recorded by the BBC as well.

My favourite official live release is Simon & Garfunkel - Live from New York City 1967, just two voices and one guitar - engineered and recorded by the brilliant Roy Halee of course ... breathtakingly beautiful and simple, stripped-back performances, with an appropriately hushed and awed audience.

Close seconds would be Rank by The Smiths, Dylan's Live Rolling Thunder Revue (with that amazing version of 'Isis') & Entreat (1989) by The Cure (all tracks from Disintegration; referring to the original CD only as I've not heard the recent version with extra tracks & 'mixing'), the latter is certainly the most polished official live release I can think of.

Best Spiritualized live recordings - probably Union Chapel (1st night) and Toronto 2003, but there are plenty of others to choose from. I guess Acoustic Mainlines really lent itself well to bootleg recordings.

Best official live recording has to be Take Your Time from the 1st part of the Electricity EP.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

I'm a sucker for a good live album / boot....often prefer listening to them opposed to a studio release. some of my faves:

John Coltrane – Live Village Vanguard (box) / Live in Japan (box)
2 sides to Coltrane, the Village Vaguard sets represent him beginning to stretch out and become more free, theres even an oud player on some tracks showing his new interest in eastern scales. Elvin Jones is a monster, playing like Keith Moon relentlessly throughout 15-20min tracks just thundering around the kit, McCoy Tyner, love some of his lines sometimes I think his playing sounds like church bells clanging on a Sunday morning….the energy from this lot is amazing, they make so much racket...
Live in Japan, recorded close to his death, the quartet has gone and the music is probably the furthest extent of his expression, it’s a 4 disc box with only 6 tracks on, a couple nudge an hour in length….Rasheed Ali on drums whose playing is totally different to Elvins he kind of ‘pitter patters’ around the snare and hi hat incessantly and Alice on piano also plays differently to Tyner, she sort of cascades up and down the keyboard abit like the sound of her playing harp. I love this stuff.

Jimi Hendrix Experience – Winterland 68 (box)
Love Hendrix’s laidback tongue in cheek intros to some of the tracks, he was the coolest man on the planet, makes a throwaway jokey aside and then BOOM another slice of ahead of its time visceral rock n roll. Really groovy, great sound. Also makes a fantastic distorted racket on some of the tunes, sonically WAY ahead of the game. And if he plays the same tunes on different nights always plays them in a different style.

MC5 – Kick Out The Jams
Cant say anything about this that hasn’t already been said….I would KILL for a time machine to go back and see them ’68 – ’70. Even now this album sounds MASSIVE.

Rolling Stones – Get Yer Ya Yas Out
A band at the top of their game…this has been the soundtrack to so many great drunken, drugged up parties when I was a student. Mick Taylor is playing like a demon, it sounds like it was a gas (until the end of the tour *ahem*)

James Brown – Love Power Peace Paris ‘71
Again, a band at the top of their game, Bootsy and Catfish on board just before they jumped to George Clintons ship. This has also been the choice at a number of parties. Some great tight funk, the audience mustve loved it.

The Verve – Hultsfred Festival 1994
Not an official release but it bloody should be, recorded for swedish radio. This is their most interesting period for me, the transition from the starburst psychedelia of ASIH to the more gravitationally bound grime of ANS. Early versions of Rolling People, This Is Music, and Mover and a stunning climax with a 14 minute Gravity Grave…McCabe never sounded better.

Godspeed! You Black Emporer – Great American Music Hall 2000
Another boot that should be official…cant believe this is an audience recording, very clear and powerful with all the requisite dynamics. Lovely stuff.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

one that I forgot to mention before:
The Dream Syndicate- Live at Raji's. not the classic lineup but they still tear it up in a small club. impeccably recorded and one of those live albums that makes the studio versions sound limp
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

i noticed mercury rev just put a 'live at brixton 92' gig on their website along with a few other interesting recordings. Two appear to be live Harmony Rockets things.. i'm very interested except that they're only available in digital form, which i find annoying. Anyway, just thought they might be worth investigating or at least pointing out to people.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Can you post links to these? I'd defo be interested in hearing those. Can't seem to see links on their official website...
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Holy smokes, more Harmony Rockets! Thanks, moop!

http://shop.mercuryrev.com/releases.html/
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

KISS ALIVE
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

leonard cohen- live warsaw 85
leonard cohen- live isle wight 1970

if you are a fan you need both! especially the live 70 dvd
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

spunder wrote:
Not an official release but it bloody should be, recorded for swedish radio. This is their most interesting period for me, the transition from the starburst psychedelia of ASIH to the more gravitationally bound grime of ANS. Early versions of Rolling People, This Is Music, and Mover and a stunning climax with a 14 minute Gravity Grave…McCabe never sounded better.
I'd love to hear this - does anyone have a download for this they'd be willing to share online? I've tried google but get sent on the usual merry-go-round of dead links and mirror sites that go nowhere...
PatBateman2016
New user

Post by PatBateman2016 »

It's Too Late To Stop Now by Van Morrison is fantastic
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

love that one ^

& love these picks also:
Laz69 wrote:Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour 74
mojo filters wrote: Best Spiritualized live recordings - probably Union Chapel (1st night)

Best official live recording has to be Take Your Time from the 1st part of the Electricity EP.
James T wrote:KISS ALIVE
tho i prob prefer Alive II. if push came to shove i'd reach for II first.

my fave live albums of the moment:

Warren Zevon - Stand in the Fire
Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley's Beach Party
gonna burn brightly
for a while
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

mc wrote:
spunder wrote:
I'd love to hear this - does anyone have a download for this they'd be willing to share online? I've tried google but get sent on the usual merry-go-round of dead links and mirror sites that go nowhere...
I got it. Happy to upload it for you or anyone else if interested!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

beaker73 wrote:
mc wrote:
spunder wrote:
I got it. Happy to upload it for you or anyone else if interested!
That would be fantastic if you could, thanks so much :D
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

That would be fantastic if you could, thanks so much :D[/quote]

Sure thing, i could put it up here in mp3. Or pm me if you want flacs.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

mp3 is fine with me!
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

mc wrote:mp3 is fine with me!
alrighty then: http://www.sendspace.com/file/x1tbbc

enjoy!
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

much appreciated, beaker

thanks man 8)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

beaker, you're an absolute star! Thanks very much :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Bloody hell this Verve is absolutely sensational! Thanks beaker!

I agree about McCabe - the man is on fire on this recording and stamps his presence all over the whole recording, whether he's noising it up or adding delicate sprinkles. His thick blanket of fuzz is layered over most of the songs and when he lets rip it's mind-blowing. This captures everything I love about the older Verve and highlights what I dislike about parts 2 and 3. So often when you see a fantastic guitarist live you can't hear them properly. I saw Jane's Addiction a couple of times in the early 90's and they were very disappointing as the guitar wasn't loud enough. But McCabe unleashes a monster here - and you can hear everything!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yep definitely one of my fave Verve bootlegs. the setlist is perfectly poised between ASIH and ANS eras, and that version of Gravity Grave is like being sucked into a black hole. it's incredible.
my version comes from two different sources I think, though, and one is more compressed than the other. also does anyone elses have weird popping noises on Gravity Grave too.. not sure if that's from the source or just on my copy?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This is exactly how I remember them live on those first two US tours.
They were the best band I ever saw live on those tours.
Thank you for this.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Great that y'all are liking it!
Made me dig the old Verve bootlegs. Found this one: from the same year, but earlier and in Germany (Frankfurt). Some rare songs on it, Black & Blue, Mover and Grey Skies. Sound quality is a bit a less that the Hultsfred one, which was an FM recording, I think this is a good audience one. Anyhow, enjoy! :wink:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/l3nfyw
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Man the web is wonderful sometimes... Thank you!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Fantastic beaker, thanks so much! The Hultsfred gig was incredible listening, can't wait to hear this :D
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

many thanks for the verve stuff! McCabe sounds like he's got 2 guitars playing at the same time, each with independent effects rigs. Amazing how he manages to get all those amazing sounds live and avoids sounding muddy or out of control. I don't think he used loop pedals, so i guess it's mostly just good use of echo pedals? oh and i love that fuzz distortion he uses sometimes. 8)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Mover- how is Nick McCabe making THAT sound? And why was this track never released? I saw them do this at Lollapalooza in 1994. All four dates in Detroit. Rolling People too. At that point it was unreleased.

I guess this makes it obvious I never, ever listened to Forth. oops! :oops:
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

spzretent wrote:Mover- how is Nick McCabe making THAT sound? And why was this track never released? I saw them do this at Lollapalooza in 1994. All four dates in Detroit. Rolling People too. At that point it was unreleased.

I guess this makes it obvious I never, ever listened to Forth. oops! :oops:
i never listened to forth either.

i have a boot from the lollapalooza chicago date. it's one of those recordings that's incredibly frustrating because it's a terrible recording of a fantastic show- in that light thanks so much for sharing this amazing recording!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i listened to 4th and saw them live in manchester at the intimate aircraft hanger arena for thier homecoming show. utter pants (though great to have seen them :D )
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Just to reiterate my thanks to beaker for these stellar Verve gigs - they're on constant rotation avec chateau mc just now. God knows how Nick McCabe coaxes so much noise out of a single guitar. He truly is a force to be reckoned with. Wonder if Jason would consider giving him a job! Imagine that :wink:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

What mc said. I have played this Swedish festival recording many times over the last few days and simply cannot work out how McCabe can produce noises like that.

Makes me realise that along with Ronald Jones Nick McCabe rates as the greatest guitar player I have ever seen. Jones is another genius of course but his tricks are a dizzy array of pedals, whereas McCabe produces sounds I didn't know were possible. And this Swedish show demonstrates his incredible power and presence.

I know we have Verve haters on this board but you can't argue with this guitar sound. It's absolutely sensational.

I have Mover on now and agree with spzretent - those sounds are kind of impossible.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah I second that view on Mover- the guitar sound on that is incredible. it's like being in a wind tunnel. its heavy, almost evil sounding but also clear sounding.

another Verve boot I'd recommend is the Minneapolis show from '93. nowhere near as good quality as Hultsfred but still pretty impressive, and a very nice ASIH-era setlist. Starsail opens and they play 6 O' Clock too. plus.. She's a Superstar!!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

listening to these shows makes me very tempted to track down a quadraverb...
As far as i'm aware he only used a standard boss distortion/super overdrive. do you guys suppose that could be the cause of 'that sound' in mover?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I too am really enjoying these two Verve boots. Cheers for sharing.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Plenty of good shouts in this thread. Only one of mine I think hasn't been mentioned is "Favourite Activity Songs for the Classroom" by Helmet. Their studio recordings are disappointing in comparison.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Press the Eject and Give Me the Tape by Bauhaus ... love Peter's stage banter